AVS Forum banner

Blu-ray 4K UHD - coming 2015?

271K views 5K replies 342 participants last post by  Pete 
#1 · (Edited)
October 2015 UPDATE : A lot has happened since my original post that started this thread. There is now a Ultra-HD Blu-ray specification that has been approved and the Blu-ray Disc Association is offering a patent licensing package to manufacturers. While Samsung has already announced a Ultra HD Blu-ray player to be priced at near $500 for an early 2016 introduction and Fox Pictures has announced their first few movies titles to the released, it is expected that several of the other major consumer electronics manufacturers and the other movie studios will be announcing their first Ultra HD Blu-ray products, schedules and pricing at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2016.

For a snapshot on what video formats the new Ultra-HD Blu-ray standard supports - check out Post #2402 - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...ray-4k-uhd-coming-2015-a-81.html#post35319026

#6 ·
I find it hard to believe they are gonna replace bluray with another physical format, but if they do, I predict it wont be very successful at this point. While enthusiasts may embrace it, streaming is allready becoming the mainstream choise. It will become the next LaserDisc, at best.

#7 ·
Why would you buy a 4K display - especially a projector, and then hobble it with streaming? I don't stream anything - both the video and audio are inferior. So, folks like me will direct our $ to a 4K disk since we want the best picture and audio quality. Then again, I am an enthusiast............

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballis  /t/1490218/blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2014-likely#post_23724929

I find it hard to believe they are gonna replace bluray with another physical format, but if they do, I predict it wont be very successful at this point. While enthusiasts may embrace it, streaming is allready becoming the mainstream choise. It will become the next LaserDisc, at best.

I think you have your facts mixed up. Physical discs are still selling like hotcakes. For UHD to be streamed people need a fast internet connection. The vast majority of people do not have a fast enough connecting to get quality UHD material to their homes. This is why physical discs are still the wisest option.

#9 ·
But not if download to a server instead of streaming. The Red Redray can serve up a very high quality 4K signal. Of course no major studio content. the Sony server will be a source of major studio content but potentially Bluray 4K could be better. Rereading the announcement, there really is not a lot of new info. Just that hopefully there will be a standard fairly soon.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1490218/blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2014-likely#post_23724987

Why would you buy a 4K display - especially a projector, and then hobble it with streaming? I don't stream anything - both the video and audio are inferior. So, folks like me will direct our $ to a 4K disk since we want the best picture and audio quality. Then again, I am an enthusiast............

Craig as sales professional how much do you think 4K players would cost?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballis  /t/1490218/blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2014-likely#post_23724929

The physical format is probably the same as already defined for BD-XL, which has been in place for a couple of years now for data discs. Most of the modern BD burners and BD Rom drives for PCs, including those from LG, already can support the BD-XL structure with 33 GB per layer and up to 4 layers.

#16 ·

Quote:

They will not be "replacing blu-ray". They will be augmenting it by adding 4K. Just like 3D was added to the format.

And like with 3D, old players won't play it. If you want it you'll need to buy a new player. And eventually it will be just another feature on all players.

If you're not interested, it wouldn't effect you.

Sounds good to me.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich  /t/1490218/blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2014-likely#post_23725051

Would you also in your answer predict the Derby winner for next year?

The Derby winner will be the person that bets on the fastest horse, over 1 1/4 miles, to win. However, if you are watching in 4K UHD streaming video over a low speed internet connection then "The Most Exciting Two Minutes In Sports" may take 60 minutes (with many pauses) giving your bookie time to skip town and then your bookie becomes the winner, unless the law catches up before he can get away. Too complicated to even think about. Just drink a mint julep on Derby day and relax.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1490218/blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2014-likely#post_23725147

I'd bet some premium over Blu Ray initially, eventually lowing to current Blu Ray prices ( and Blu Ray falling into where DVD's are now - one foot in the grave ).

My guess is the BD 4K movies will be sold like BD 3D's are today. An extra few dollars ($5 to $10) premium for a package that includes both a standard BD plus the BD-4K discs (and maybe also a DVD copy, etc.).

#21 ·

Quote:

Debbie Downer. And I think and so bleeping hope you are dead wrong. We need highest quality physical media. Even if just for the HT degenerates and niche markets. It would be backward compatible of course so no "replacing" the format. Progressive DVD players added to the quality we got from the first interlaced players, etc.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1490218/blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2014-likely#post_23725183

The players will cost more initially I'll bet. I was there for the Great HD DVD / Blu Ray Format War - thank goodness we seem to be avoiding that fiasco again !!

This time it's a streaming versus disc battle. The choice is easy if you ask me, but I think convenience will win over quality ultimately

#3,328 ·
Quote:Originally Posted by Craig Peer 

The players will cost more initially I'll bet. I was there for the Great HD DVD / Blu Ray Format War - thank goodness we seem to be avoiding that fiasco again !!

This time it's a streaming versus disc battle. The choice is easy if you ask me, but I think convenience will win over quality ultimately
Just like the MP3 won over SACD and DVD-A I am afraid.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1490218/blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2014-likely#post_23725183

Perhaps 4K support will be offered in new top-of-the-line models next year from the likes of Sony and Panasonic, but probably will still sell for under $500 (maybe well under street price).

#25 ·
thankfully this is happening, now 4K finally has a chance of surviving, imo it was going to be DOA if they relied on downloads/streaming. too many compromises would have to be made to compensate for the wide variances in ISP's.

people still want to buy a movie and put it on their shelf.

didn't Mark say hell no, there will never be a 4K BD??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.