Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J. View Post

I do have a small strip in at the top of the screen that has a pink hue to it. You can notice it in white scenes such as clouds. The rest of the screen is nearly uniformly white. The scenery pictures from the WOW setup DVD that I purchased are quite stunning. I have upgraded from an Epson 400 projector , which had its issues with color uniformity on white scenes.

The lens shift controls for setting the picture onto the screen work fairly well, no real issues The zoom and focus use friction type dials so that it does not shift after you set the dials and the dials are a little slick and a bit hard to turn.

The picture is sharp and very bright. I'm currently projecting on a homemade screen that I made several years ago, which has a 118 inch diagonal and the projector is about 14 feet from the screen. Due to the brightness of the projector, I think I will purchase a screen in the near future with a 1.0 gain.

Scenes from a Nightmare Before Christmas have quite a few shadow details and the projector does a very good job on in showing the details in the picture. So far I'm very satisfied with this projector.

It would be nice if Epson would get their internet link to the manual to work.

Yeah a manual would be nice! Is your projected image in focus in all four corners and centre?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Mike is right, we can find anomalies with every one of these projectors from 2.5k to 25k. It's easy to get stuck in analysis paralysis when visiting the forum.

If you can't see the color shift with real content, then try to enjoy the projector. regarding convergence and CA, I stand 1/2 way between the screen and seating distance. If it's not obvious there, then it will look fine from seating distance.

The 5030 should be here today, i'm looking forward to seeing the FI in 3D.

I'm 99% positive I'm going to keep this unit as there is no possibility of getting it swapped out before I return to the UK, if it turns out I got one of a first faulty batch I can swap it out the next time I visit the US. The colour shift is apparent when displaying a windows desktop etc but with motion pictures (which will be the primary application) it is much less obvious so I'm not going to waste any more time looking for anomalies and just try to enjoy my new toy :) Nothing in life is as perfect as we would like and that includes 3LCD projectors but when you are saving over $1400 on the UK sale price it's amazing what you are prepared to put up with... lol

post #273 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 10

I'm getting really close to ordering the 5030. I have some time since our new house won't be ready till the first week of December. Everything you guys have been posting has been really helpful and thanks to the guys who have already gotten theirs and have been sharing.

Has anyone ceiling mounted their 5030? I was planning to do this in our basement, but I'm worried that there might be some quality loss with flipping the projector. I'm new to this and this is my first home theater so I don't know if this is something to be concerned with. I could always just hang a shelf from the ceiling if needed.

post #274 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse9194 View Post

I'm getting really close to ordering the 5030. I have some time since our new house won't be ready till the first week of December. Everything you guys have been posting has been really helpful and thanks to the guys who have already gotten theirs and have been sharing.

Has anyone ceiling mounted their 5030? I was planning to do this in our basement, but I'm worried that there might be some quality loss with flipping the projector. I'm new to this and this is my first home theater so I don't know if this is something to be concerned with. I could always just hang a shelf from the ceiling if needed.

There should be no difference flipping the projector. It's really a matter of convenience. They're designed to work equally well in either orientation. My mount, Peerless PRG Series PRG-EXA-W 8.7-Inch to 12.8-Inch Adjustable Projector Ceiling/Wall Mount Kit (White), allows me to install the projector on a back wall or a ceiling. In case you haven't decided but are looking for an AWESOME mount.

Elio
post #275 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Amazon has a few in stock, but are now charging sales tax in my state as well... Decisions, decisions...
post #276 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 01:22 PM

Wahoo!!! Just got my EPSON 5030ub Projector Today!!  The FEDEX driver handed me the crisp new box from VisualApex and within an hour I fired it up. Guess what....more Chinese made JUNK! Mine had an Auto IRIS error - please call Epson Tech Support. Just a blue screen of death with an yellow error box window. I'm an engineer so did all the basic troubleshooting, same story, then called Epson Tech Support and after an hour they told me they want to replace the unit but have no idea how to do so as it is not in their system (yet?). They are selling this junk, but have no idea how to process it? And you loyalists call this great customer service? They owe me a call back with their plan of attack. Good customer service (not great) would be identifying the next available unit and FEDEX overnight it to me (and all the others with problems). So I then called the dealer VisualApex and they are very good to talk with but also had no further suggestions and even worse have no idea when I might see a replacement. So, nobody has these in any real supply yet thus getting my junker replaced may be a month or more!  I read here another guy is having problems as well. Has anybody got this junk to work yet?  The price is $2599, same as 5020 for now...though I may downgrade and get a unit that is proven IF I can get the discount that should be coming with new model shipping.  Overall, VERY disappointed was planning to watch the "big screen" all weekend and instead have wasted the last 5 hours trying to resolve this issue. Of course, just got laid off (permanent) from GOV fiasco so things couldn't be much better. If I read about any more issues, I'm done with this unit. I'd recommend to STAY AWAY until the Chinese fix all the bugs in the next few batches.  Standard stuff for low grade electronics these days.  ALL electronics are now consumables, but by design they are only supposed to work up to the warranty period and then fail so they sell more units. Thanks for nothing Epson....I've got one of your printers upstairs that's toast as well.  Good luck to any other sucker that bought this "fancy" new projector.

post #277 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I feel your pain, basherbee, but I think you are a victim of buying something - anything - the first day that it is released. I learned that hard lesson many years ago (with JVC) and have always waited at least a couple of months before buying any newly released unit since that time. When new models are released, there is usually a rush to buy it and then a subsequent shortage of replacements if something goes wrong, as you have found out. When I first bought my 5010, it had been out for about 4 months and thus there was plenty of stock. My first unit had very bad uniformity issues, but fortunately(?) for me it developed the same auto iris problem as you are now having. I called Epson and they had a new (not refurbished) unit in my hands within 24 hours, and to this day that is the best customer service I have ever encountered. I am truly sorry that your brand new unit suffers from the same problem, but since the new model is in such high demand there is naturally very little stock available for warranty replacement. If they had more units available for replacement, then there would be less units available for purchase, so I guess Epson will come out being the bad guy no matter what they do...
post #278 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basherbee View Post

Wahoo!!! Just got my EPSON 5030ub Projector Today!!  The FEDEX driver handed me the crisp new box from VisualApex and within an hour I fired it up. Guess what....more Chinese made JUNK! Mine had an Auto IRIS error - please call Epson Tech Support. Just a blue screen of death with an yellow error box window. I'm an engineer so did all the basic troubleshooting, same story, then called Epson Tech Support and after an hour they told me they want to replace the unit but have no idea how to do so as it is not in their system (yet?). They are selling this junk, but have no idea how to process it? And you loyalists call this great customer service? They owe me a call back with their plan of attack. Good customer service (not great) would be identifying the next available unit and FEDEX overnight it to me (and all the others with problems). So I then called the dealer VisualApex and they are very good to talk with but also had no further suggestions and even worse have no idea when I might see a replacement. So, nobody has these in any real supply yet thus getting my junker replaced may be a month or more!  I read here another guy is having problems as well. Has anybody got this junk to work yet?  The price is $2599, same as 5020 for now...though I may downgrade and get a unit that is proven IF I can get the discount that should be coming with new model shipping.  Overall, VERY disappointed was planning to watch the "big screen" all weekend and instead have wasted the last 5 hours trying to resolve this issue. Of course, just got laid off (permanent) from GOV fiasco so things couldn't be much better. If I read about any more issues, I'm done with this unit. I'd recommend to STAY AWAY until the Chinese fix all the bugs in the next few batches.  Standard stuff for low grade electronics these days.  ALL electronics are now consumables, but by design they are only supposed to work up to the warranty period and then fail so they sell more units. Thanks for nothing Epson....I've got one of your printers upstairs that's toast as well.  Good luck to any other sucker that bought this "fancy" new projector.

Sorry to hear that....

post #279 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM

I agree with you Bob..however this is the same model as the 5010..same engine..same chassis..on the 3rd generation of the same platform. These bugs should be worked out by now!
post #280 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Dude that sucks. Really sorry to hear that. I may cancel my order from Best Buy and wait a couple of months to order it again. Really wanted to replace my Panasonic 4000 but maybe I should wait til the new year. Good luck. I hope someone figures out a way to help you out.

E
post #281 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

i see you just joined AVS
u sound like an epson hater
do you even own this projector?
post #282 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

i see you just joined AVS
u sound like an epson hater
do you even own this projector?

Nothing about this sounds unrealistic. Epson does have a pretty poor QC reputation.
post #283 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Might not even be epsons fault, maybe the projector was thrown around during shipping, I can't imagine they put together projectors without testing them first.

On another note, it doesn't sound like any pj would be beneficial for you as you do say that all electronics are consumable and low grade. To me it doesn't make much sense to downgrade to the 5020, when its the same platform, and the same thing can happen again. This auto iris thing happened not to long ago to my 6 year old Epson, cost of fixing it was cost of replacement of a whole new refurbished unit $1300 bucks. Electronics with all their components, plus dust and high heat doesn't really help any projector last forever.

I've also got a practically new printer that I just replaced all the ink in, and two weeks later, its now broken, but its a Leximark, so I guess its not just Epson with faulty equipment.
post #284 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Ok, I had a burrito and a sleeve of choc chip cookies and have calmed down enough to box my DOA 5030 back up. I'll let you know how Epson wants to handle this when(if) they call me, else I'll ring them on Monday w/my reference ID. I'm not an Epson hater. As a electrical/systems/network engineer for over 25 years, I do find it hard to fathom issues like this can exist. The 5030 is primarily just enhancements to a very popular "proven" model(s), better contrast ratio, etc...this is not new rocket science technology. You can bet Epson is using as much of the 5020 platform/HW/SW as possible - this goal is to make money - nothing re-invent engineering w/high costs. It's what businesses do.  I have designed analog and digital circuitry for years, software/firmware....there are very few moving parts in these projectors. The ASICS handle all the complexity, this is not discrete components or "space-grade transistor technology"....this stuff is stamped out by a machine with very little or NO human intervention. C'mon how many TV manufactures are there really today, how many different sets, there isn't a skilled group of humans building anything anymore like this - its' computers and repeatability should be a non-issue. But recalls happen all the time because "S" happens and they did not catch it in burn-in or testing. Do they test these units enough before rush release to the market - likely not when everything IS about shareholder profit. APPLE is hugely successful, not just for innovation, but because their "platforms" just work. I gave up on WinBlows years ago having to restart those machines at least once/week. Every "i" product I have is rock solid. But there aren't many APPLE's out there....

Why buy a 5020 a few days ago when the 5030 was available with much better performance (in theory only!) for the SAME price? Epson makes a very high quality - spec'd - projector for dirt cheap. My only other projector was a high end JVC (RS1?) about 7 years ago, 3 time the price and 1/3 the performance...but it was a flawless pic in my eyes and not a single problem. So my disappoint is that this is shockingly a more common trend these days, when it really shouldn't be. The tradeoffs are driven by profit goals - it's just a sad fact. I suspect this new design has some marginal mechanical tolerances, or hopefully a code bug, or some combination that isn't playing together and guess what...it's highly likely ALL of this first batch is going to have the problem! If not day 1 - lucky me - then in a week or a month. The ASIC circuit boards are NOT what's failing. Yes, a few kind & wise folks mentioned the "new model risk" and I think that's dead on. I want Epson to send me another projector to see if it holds up, but again if I hear more reports like mine (the reason I joined the forum just today!!!), then that will help me to decide on returning for a full refund and maybe just get the 5020 on a discount deal? You know after 5 hours use, these dealers won't take the unit back! It becomes an Epson warranty issue at that point - a headache even if they do take care of customers. I will give Epson a chance to resolve and by mid next week I would expect to have an acceptable plan of action OR have returned this unit for a full refund. I was VERY excited to get my new theater room up and running this weekend but this one piece of equipment has put the kabosh on those plans! I can't even go cut the grass as its raining Irises on the east coast all weekend! :) Just want to share my sour deal before you all rush out to buy one. Sooner somebody gets working a fix...the better. We ALL want the advertised performance at that price point. I'll believe it only when the darn thing actually proves it to me. Be an informed buyer as best you can and these forums are a HUGE help for that.

post #285 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse9194 View Post

I used the Peerless PRGUNV Precision Gear Universal Projector Mount , worked really well. I was a bit disappointed at with the mount at first , because their is no rotation with the mount, which you need to get the projector perpendicular to your screen. But loosing the bolts on the mount to turn the projector worked well and the other controls made it easy to bring the image on the screen. The projector is fairly heavy and the peerless design made it easy to hang the projector on the mount.

My ceiling is 9 feet tall in my basement and I have the projector mounted directly over my theater chairs. They are made to be hung up side down and all the lens controls are easy to reach.
post #286 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I hade a similar problem with one of my projectors and an auto iris failure. I turned it off, unplugged it and then restarted it. That was a year ago. Its worked ever since without a problem.
post #287 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 08:36 PM

Picked up my 5030 from FedEx earlier this evening - could not wait to get my screen up to see if my unit worked - turned it on and displayed onto my matte finish black magic wall:cool:  Unit seems to work fine and was surprisingly bright on the black paint - watched Men in black ii - 

so far I am happy with my purchase - will get screen hung tomorrow and do a bit more testing 

post #288 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 09:02 PM

How fragile do you folks think these units are? I was surprised that my projector was so lightly packaged, is it possible that a lot of the issues people are experiencing are caused by heavy handling during delivery? Just a thought...

post #289 of 3490 Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 PM

Hallo everyone

I am new at AVS.  I also received my new 5030 from Visual Apex today. At the moment I am testing the projector on a white matte wall until I have my screen up next week.  All I can say is WOW! The picture is superb in 2D and absolutely amazing in 3D!  Great contrast and black levels. Blue screen and test patterns seem fine and uniformly spread - no dead pixels, no auto iris problems, absolutely nothing I can see thus far.  I have tested with "The Hobbit" 3D and "Planet Earth" 2D.  Simply stunning! ... and that on a white wall!

Small issue - the  2 pairs of 3D glasses that came with the unit are supposed to include "soft cases" and cleaning cloths.  All I have are the 2 pairs of glasses, the styrofoam pockets the glasses came in, usb charging cables and instruction leaflets.  I suspect that the "soft cases" serve as cleaning cloths as well but I am not sure. I cannot imagine that the styrofoam, or plastic bags, the glasses came in are supposedly the soft cases.

post #290 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWvdM View Post

Hallo everyone

I am new at AVS.  I also received my new 5030 from Visual Apex today. At the moment I am testing the projector on a white matte wall until I have my screen up next week.  All I can say is WOW! The picture is superb in 2D and absolutely amazing in 3D!  Great contrast and black levels. Blue screen and test patterns seem fine and uniformly spread - no dead pixels, no auto iris problems, absolutely nothing I can see thus far.  I have tested with "The Hobbit" 3D and "Planet Earth" 2D.  Simply stunning! ... and that on a white wall!

Small issue - the  2 pairs of 3D glasses that came with the unit are supposed to include "soft cases" and cleaning cloths.  All I have are the 2 pairs of glasses, the styrofoam pockets the glasses came in, usb charging cables and instruction leaflets.  I suspect that the "soft cases" serve as cleaning cloths as well but I am not sure. I cannot imagine that the styrofoam, or plastic bags, the glasses came in are supposedly the soft cases.

Not sure what to tell you about the soft cases. Very peculiar!

If you like Planet Earth, watch it with Frame Creation on with your new Epson. It's phenomenal (going by previous experience with other projectors with this feature on + nature documentaries).
post #291 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
So how does this new model compare to the JVC x-35. I already have a dlp for 3d but am trying to find out what would best suit me for 2d. Any thoughts on the balck levels, contrast etc from those who have seen both would be fantastic.

Reading through this thread has me worried as I have had issues with epson in the past to the point where I would never recommend them and despite everything I hear about there products when they work there CQ does not seem to have improved. frown.gif
post #292 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
zombie10k should have one by this weekend and will post his results.

post #293 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBuLhAgaG View Post

How fragile do you folks think these units are? I was surprised that my projector was so lightly packaged, is it possible that a lot of the issues people are experiencing are caused by heavy handling during delivery? Just a thought...

This is why, we double box all new projectors that we sell. Not all suppliers do that.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #294 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 280
This is like Deja-vu, I think I have seen this projector somewhere before.... biggrin.gif

Epson-5030-2.jpg

radiance1.jpg

Epson-5030.jpg

I went right in to check out the most outstanding feature, the FI in 3D. My first impression is that it works well, at least as good as the W7000. Epson RF glasses are nice and comfortable, I gave these high ratings last year with the 5020.

I have to run through a full calibration and will report in a bit more over the weekend. I have to get my CRT setup to run some definitive lag tests.
dagameballa likes this.
post #295 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Hurry up zombie with the reports..! Difference in contrast ratio. .lag...all the good stuff!!
post #296 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
With the Fi on the 5030 do you feel the projector is closing the gap between the BenQ or Sharp? Maybe even better black level than both?

Also, I think you mention that the Epson have less flicker in 3D than the Sony and JVC ?

So that Epson 5030 could be the best "non DLP" 3D available ?
post #297 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

If you keep the projector in ECO mode as opposed to Normal, it's very quiet. On the 5020, even if you had it in ECO mode, with Dynamic Iris enabled, it was still pretty noisy. Not this time around. And honestly, with this putting out the light that it does, I would reccomend keeping it at ECO unless you aren't able to control ambient light in the room.

On the menu structure under Power Consumption, I can only find "Normal" and "Extra bright" on my new 5030UB.  I suppose "Normal" is the new "ECO".  Is it the same with yours? 

post #298 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

With the Fi on the 5030 do you feel the projector is closing the gap between the BenQ or Sharp? Maybe even better black level than both?

Also, I think you mention that the Epson have less flicker in 3D than the Sony and JVC ?

There is ZERO doubt that the Epson will have far less flicker in 3D than the Sony or JVC. Anyone who says otherwise is either not susceptible to flicker, or just doesn't care. tongue.gif And take that from a Sony owner! The Panasonic/Epson are both equal in terms of flicker (i.e. excellent).

I imagine the 5030 will be the equal of the 5020 in terms of flicker. As far as I'm concerned, from my testing - the Epson 5020 has/had the best 3D implementation I've ever seen. Very stable, no drifting into crosstalk over time (my experience with the Panasonic 7000/8000).

I need to test the RS46's 3D... Though the flicker will be the same as with the (mediocre) 3D of the RS45.
post #299 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWvdM View Post

On the menu structure under Power Consumption, I can only find "Normal" and "Extra bright" on my new 5030UB.  I suppose "Normal" is the new "ECO".  Is it the same with yours? 

Can't answer that, but I do wish the manufacturers would settle on names for their lamp modes. On the Panasonic, it's ECO/NORMAL. On the Sony it's HIGH/LOW. Sounds like the Epson went another direction, too. smile.gif
post #300 of 3490 Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post

Hurry up zombie with the reports..! Difference in contrast ratio. .lag...all the good stuff!!

I need some time over the weekend to get some of the preliminary measurements. I wouldn't expect a big difference (if any) in contrast, my first impressive is that it's nearly identical in appearance to the 5020. I have a new Minolta T10 meter so I'll grab some native contrast measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

The Epson definitely has less flicker in 3D than the Sony HW50 and JVC's (for those that are sensitive to it, many will have no idea what we're talking about....) The FI in 3D is something I was screaming for last year during the 5020 review since it looks great on the Sony and BQ. The 30K doesn't have it, but I don't really miss it either, it's a relatively smooth projector in 3D.

I have to look at this closer in a direct A/B, but the Sharp, is well, 'sharper' in appearance in 3D vs. the 5030. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but it's hard to beat the single panel DLP's in this area..

With the FI in 3D, the 5030 could be a leader in this price category for best in class 3D. We have to wait and see how the upcoming W7500 and Optoma HD91 performs.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page