2Likes

post #2971 of 3405 Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

My firmware is at v100. I am just trying to figure out of a) noise should be the same in 'normal' as '3D' as it is with me and b) how loud 3D mode 'normally' is. I made a clip of the noise my projector makes in 3D mode and even my dealer thinks it's pretty loud (as far as judging that from a clip is possible). I can't shake the feeling that what I hear in eco mode is what other people hear in 3D mode. Would someone mind posting a youtube clip of the noise theirs make in 3D mode? (if you don't want it public, send me a pm).
Firmware is v100 here too. AFAIK, there hasn't been any update available to the 5030UB.

Quote:

My projector is as loud as what the fans produce when booting up in 3D/normal lamp (not in ECO). Is this the same with you guys?
I only use Eco, and it's basically silent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3405 Old 04-20-2014, 02:11 PM

Liked: 16
How can you use 'eco' only. As soon as I use 3D, then fans ramp up and there is no way to set it differently. Projector automatically defaults to high lamp mode for 3D.
post #2973 of 3405 Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

How can you use 'eco' only. As soon as I use 3D, then fans ramp up and there is no way to set it differently. Projector automatically defaults to high lamp mode for 3D.
When in 3D, yes, it's louder. I thought you meant that when booting up it's as loud as when it's in 3D mode.

It's sounds to me like you should take your PJ to your dealer and let him figure out if yours has a problem, or if it's normal and just too loud for you.
post #2974 of 3405 Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I've posted this before. For whatever strange reason sometimes in 3d mode the projector gets really loud, but I've found that when this happens if you move the 3d brightness to high for a minute and then back to low, after a few minutes it quiets down. It is still going be louder than 2d Eco, but not the loud hair dryer volume. I'm not sure how many times this topic needs to come up, but it seems often lately.
post #2975 of 3405 Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I pulled the trigger on this projector despite on the posts about it being loud. I'm hoping I don't have that problem and I'm hoping I can run in ECO mode as it sounds like no one has a problem with it being loud in ECO mode. I decided on this one mainly because of the support from Epson being pretty good and it has deeper blacks than others in the price range... like the Panny 8000.

I bought it from Nebraska Furniture Mart as I couldn't find it any cheaper than the 2599 price you see everywhere. I thought about trying Ebay, but I wanted a local store in case I have problems or need support. I'm having them help me mount it since I know nothing about that... Hopefully they do!!! LOL! I guess you want to try to physically center it as much as possible so you don't have to move the lens much, right?

Anyway, I'm excited and nervous at the same time!

Doug D.
post #2976 of 3405 Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdude9 View Post

Well, I pulled the trigger on this projector despite on the posts about it being loud. I'm hoping I don't have that problem and I'm hoping I can run in ECO mode as it sounds like no one has a problem with it being loud in ECO mode. I decided on this one mainly because of the support from Epson being pretty good and it has deeper blacks than others in the price range... like the Panny 8000.

I bought it from Nebraska Furniture Mart as I couldn't find it any cheaper than the 2599 price you see everywhere. I thought about trying Ebay, but I wanted a local store in case I have problems or need support. I'm having them help me mount it since I know nothing about that... Hopefully they do!!! LOL! I guess you want to try to physically center it as much as possible so you don't have to move the lens much, right?

Doug D.

Once your watching the content you will forget all about the noise, and btw it's not that noisy!
post #2977 of 3405 Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 PM

Fwiw, I went to my dealer yesterday to compare my TW9200W (5030UBe) to a TW7200 (4030) to see if there was something wrong with the fan noise. Turns out they were both acting the same way. In ECO mode, both are pretty silent, in 3D mode the fan ramps up quite a bit. The noise difference when using a ceiling mount setting instead of tabletop mount is with both projectors pretty big, the fans ramp up quite a bit when using ceiling mount. This is supposedly so to keep warm air accumulating above the projector when ceiling mounting it. So there's nothing 'wrong' with my projector, it's just so that the Epsons are pretty loud when using 3D mode and ceiling mounting them.
post #2978 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:

The noise difference when using a ceiling mount setting instead of tabletop mount is with both projectors pretty big, the fans ramp up quite a bit when using ceiling mount. This is supposedly so to keep warm air accumulating above the projector when ceiling mounting it. So there's nothing 'wrong' with my projector, it's just so that the Epsons are pretty loud when using 3D mode and ceiling mounting them.
So now you know, cool. Given what I remember about your situation, it seems to me you options are:
  • sell and buy something that will work on your situation regarding room light
  • make/buy an enclosure to reduce PJ noise
  • make/buy adapter to use your PJ in tabletop mode with ceiling mount
It sounded like you were pretty set on selling and getting something else? What's out there that can work in with your room lighting? If I remember correctly, it was a family room that has a fair amount of ambient lighting.
post #2979 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 AM

My guess the only alternative would be the Sony 55.
post #2980 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I posted this in the 6030 thread but thought I would ask here also:

Anyone having HDMI handshake delays with their PJ? I'm using this 40' Redmere cable and sometimes it takes several minutes to detect a signal.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9431&seq=1&format=2

9.2 System.....
Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 Powered by Emotiva XPA-5 X 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains
Klipsch RC-64II Center
Klipsch RB-75s Heights
Klipsch RS-7's Side Surrounds
Klipsch RS-52II's Rear Surrounds
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 12...
post #2981 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdude9 View Post

Doug D.

Welcome to the club. Let us know what you think. In ECO mode the only thing you will hear is the Iris. The fan will be a non-issue. 

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #2982 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

I posted this in the 6030 thread but thought I would ask here also:

Anyone having HDMI handshake delays with their PJ? I'm using this 40' Redmere cable and sometimes it takes several minutes to detect a signal.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9431&seq=1&format=2
None here, but my HDMI cable is only 25' or so; I don't even remember if I bought a Redmere version or standard version. Not much help other than maybe to let you know it's not a universal problem.
post #2983 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post

None here, but my HDMI cable is only 25' or so; I don't even remember if I bought a Redmere version or standard version. Not much help other than maybe to let you know it's not a universal problem.

My 5030 with a 30ft Redmere is fine. smile.gif
post #2984 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Just mounted up my 5030UB, have not had more than a few mins to look at it, but initial impressions are very good. FYI the firmware on mine is V102
post #2985 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

Just mounted up my 5030UB, have not had more than a few mins to look at it, but initial impressions are very good. FYI the firmware on mine is V102

Anyone know what v102 brings over and above v100?  Or even if the FW is user-upgradeable?

post #2986 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 10:33 AM

Very interested too. Do you notice a (big) difference in fan speed when switching from table to ceiling mount? Have some hope that this would be fixed in newer firmware.
post #2987 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very interested too. Do you notice a (big) difference in fan speed when switching from table to ceiling mount? Have some hope that this would be fixed in newer firmware.

Did not notice any change in fan noise (very little fan noise period) when I changed it to ceiling mount. My head was only a couple of feet from the PJ when I changed that mode, did not notice any difference in noise, but I was not listening for it, so my impression might not mean anything. Will try changing that mode back and forth and see if I hear anything different and will report back.
post #2988 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM

Yeah please do, and especially check the difference in 3D mode too. I have a feeling the large difference between both modes in 3D/high lamp mode are a firmware bug instead of a 'feature'.
post #2989 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysmythe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

What is your viewing distance? The 120" screen has four times the viewing area of the 60" TV. 1538.28 inches versus 6153.12 inches. Hence everything being equal will appear four times as fuzzy per se. Try viewing both from the same viewing ratio and see how they compare..

That statement is nonsense. Four times as fuzzy? That isn't how display technology works. The reverse application then would be something that looks pretty good on my 120 inch screen via the 5030 would just look amazing on my new 40 inch samsung; and I've never seen that happen. Garbage in garbage out typically. The epson electronics for scaling and such are far better than what you will get in most flat panels. If your picture on the epson isn't terrific on an easy source, say like a Pixar blu ray, than you have a problem that is either related to outside components or a faulty projector.

I think the better way to look at it is pixel density. If you have a 5" phone, 23" computer monitor, 70" LCD TV and a 120" projector all pushing 1920x1080 the pixel density looks like this (rounded):

5" phone - 441 ppi
23" monitor - 96 ppi
70" LCD - 31 ppi
120" projector screen - 18 ppi

The main thing to keep in mind when comparing PPI is the distance between you and the display. Your phone is typically closer to your face for viewing than your 120" projector screen. Each one of the devices listed generally has one thing in common, the larger the screen the further you are from it. If you are sitting too close to a low density screen, you will probably find the image is less sharp or fuzzy and probably can get close enough to see pixel structure. What he is pointing out is that your phone should more or less look the same as your 120" screen (pixel wise) from comparable distances. For the phone it might be 1 foot and the projector 20 feet away.

Now with all of that said, I am less than 20 hours in with my 5030UB. I will add that I have noticed certain faces in movies being blurry at times. Sometimes when I think they shouldn't be. Then I noticed while watching Star Trek (2009) that certain faces would go in and out of focus and some would just be blurrier than others and sometimes even sharpen and then become clear later in the scene. The reasons I have come up with were A.) The film is intended to do that B.) PPI and that I am sitting too close C.) Darbee setting on my Oppo 103D or 4.) The projector is doing something odd and my focus is off.

For the most part I notice in general what feels like "film gain" and a softness to the image. Definitely more pronounced than what I am used to seeing on my plasma. This is my first projector and I attribute most of this softness to PPI and how projectors look in general. At the end of the day it is just 1920x1080 but on a big screen.

--Matt
post #2990 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah please do, and especially check the difference in 3D mode too. I have a feeling the large difference between both modes in 3D/high lamp mode are a firmware bug instead of a 'feature'.

Sorry, have not read all the posts in this thread, what am I supposed to be listening for in 3d? Just general higher fan noise in 3d? I don't have any 3d media yet (should have one in next couple of days, ordered hobbit 3d).
post #2991 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM

I think high lamp mode and 3D high lamp modes all sound the same. They are audible and noticeable, but not while there is sound. I don't hear it during the movie at all. Normal / Eco lamp modes are basically inaudible even when it is quiet.

I did notice that while watching 2D content on normal lamp mode, the side of the projector where the heat exhausts is very warm. After watching a 3D movie and the higher fan speed, the side of the case was cool to the touch. With my background in IT, I'll take higher noise and a cooler unit any day, especially if it isn't overly loud. Not everyone feels this way, so putting some fan speed control options in our hands would be the ticket.

--Matt
post #2992 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Fan noise - (PJ set to low/normal). When the menu option is switched from Front to Front/Inverted: head 1 foot away - cannot detect any noise difference. With ear right next to the exhaust vent I can detect the smallest increase in fan noise when set to inverted. I had to repeat this a half dozen times to be sure it was really louder on inverted - the difference in noise is tiny. In fact, it is so small, I am not convinced that it is really louder. There is a pause in the fan when modes are switched, and it might not really be louder. I cannot hear the fan at all from seating - about 4 feet vertical away from PJ. This is in a dedicated theater that was built to have a low noise floor, and I shut off anything that might make noise in there. I don't think I have a hearing impairment as far as I know smile.gif
post #2993 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Anyone know what v102 brings over and above v100?  Or even if the FW is user-upgradeable?

I'd like to know too. I have v100 with the delayed-start issue, and maybe something was done to address that.

The firmware should be user upgradable (it was on the 5010), but they don't make the update utility generally available.
post #2994 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I'd like to know too. I have v100 with the delayed-start issue, and maybe something was done to address that.

The firmware should be user upgradable (it was on the 5010), but they don't make the update utility generally available.

Thanks for posting the link showing the button sequence on the 5010 to bring up the AS (After Service) menu - it works just the same on the 5030. Some interesting information on that first page, such as total hours in each lamp mode. Don't see anything in the 5030UB FAQs for a firmware update, though - at least not yet ...
post #2995 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Could someone point me to the service menu button sequence please?
post #2996 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:

Could someone point me to the service menu button sequence please?

If you are referring to the 'After Service' menu I mentioned above, it's a display of parameters - you can't change anything. To view the Epson FAQ showing how to bring it up, click on the link in kriktsemaj99's post.
post #2997 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I don't believe anyone has ever posted the method of entering the real service menu on these projectors. Suprising really.
post #2998 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Fan noise - (PJ set to low/normal). When the menu option is switched from Front to Front/Inverted: head 1 foot away - cannot detect any noise difference. With ear right next to the exhaust vent I can detect the smallest increase in fan noise when set to inverted. I had to repeat this a half dozen times to be sure it was really louder on inverted - the difference in noise is tiny. In fact, it is so small, I am not convinced that it is really louder. There is a pause in the fan when modes are switched, and it might not really be louder. I cannot hear the fan at all from seating - about 4 feet vertical away from PJ. This is in a dedicated theater that was built to have a low noise floor, and I shut off anything that might make noise in there. I don't think I have a hearing impairment as far as I know smile.gif

thx, quite a bit different here. check my youtube clip I posted before.
post #2999 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thx, quite a bit different here. check my youtube clip I posted before.

If it is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUgauZhkU6s

then, it is impossible to tell how "loud" that is. A recording tells you nothing about what the SPL really was at the microphone location.

It sounds "loud", but again - that is a recording - any level can sound like anything in a recording - I can turn the volume down on my computer speakers, and then it does not sound so "loud".

Sorry this is not helping you, but I don't think you are going to get anywhere with a recording of the sound. There is no way to know what the real SPL is from a recording.
post #3000 of 3405 Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to change the subject from the "noise" issue... I'm actually interested in that too since I just bought this projector.

Anyway, can anyone point me to a link that is like a step by step guide on how to mount this thing. Or maybe what I'm actually after is a step by step guide once it is mounted.

Is it true I want to avoid lens shift?... in other words, I want to physically try to center the projector as much as possible? I might be able to center it left to right, but the projector will be mounted higher than the center of my screen... is that a bad thing? I also don't know how much to overshoot the screen onto the frame of my screen. I understand you want to do that to overcome overscan/underscan issues.

I just don't know anything about setting one of these things up and I'm wondering if I can save some money from having Nebraska Furniture Mart do it.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page