Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3271 of 3392 Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Another new owner of this fine projector! I'm pumped to get home from my trip to get it all set up. Got a pretty good deal from ABT electronics. They were a pleasure to work with and had me in and out in no time. MASSIVE store with a lot of top of the line stuff to play with. Definitely recommended!

willymo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3392 Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know the Mounting hole distance on this projector. I am curious if any of the Monoprice mounts will fit they all seem to max out at 310mm 12.2 inches. I'd like to get a mount that has about 8 inches of drop from the ceiling and the model 8801 seems to fit the bill perfectly.
post #3273 of 3392 Old 06-09-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0215 View Post

Does anyone know the Mounting hole distance on this projector. I am curious if any of the Monoprice mounts will fit they all seem to max out at 310mm 12.2 inches. I'd like to get a mount that has about 8 inches of drop from the ceiling and the model 8801 seems to fit the bill perfectly.

The Epson projectors have unusually wide spacing for their mounting points. You can go to the Epson web site and down the owner's manual for the 5030 for the exact locations of the mounting points. The projector's 4 mounting points form a rectangle that is 11.8" by 6.4". The monoprice mount I checked out (model 3010) when centered within this rectangle, has mounting arms that are just a little too short and one would need to create extensions for the mount's 'arms' in order to adapt this mount for use with the Epson 5030 projector. If you want to go first class then go with a Chief mount (but it costs $$$). Their universal mount will work or they also offer a mounting plate specifically made for use with this series of Epson projectors. It will provide for a far more solid mounting as compared the low cost monoprice mounts (or other similar inexpensive mounts).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3274 of 3392 Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The Epson projectors have unusually wide spacing for their mounting points. You can go to the Epson web site and down the owner's manual for the 5030 for the exact locations of the mounting points. The projector's 4 mounting points form a rectangle that is 11.8" by 6.4". The monoprice mount I checked out (model 3010) when centered within this rectangle, has mounting arms that are just a little too short and one would need to create extensions for the mount's 'arms' in order to adapt this mount for use with the Epson 5030 projector. If you want to go first class then go with a Chief mount (but it costs $$$). Their universal mount will work or they also offer a mounting plate specifically made for use with this series of Epson projectors. It will provide for a far more solid mounting as compared the low cost monoprice mounts (or other similar inexpensive mounts).

Thanks, So I was looking at the Chief RPA168 Custom mount or the RPAU universal mount. If i got the CMS006009
6-9" Adjustable Extension Column for either of these units then I should be in business with the drop I need correct? Unless I am misunderstanding the instructions and I need to purchase any additional parts.
post #3275 of 3392 Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

Thanks, So I was looking at the Chief RPA168 Custom mount or the RPAU universal mount. If i got the CMS006009
6-9" Adjustable Extension Column for either of these units then I should be in business with the drop I need correct? Unless I am misunderstanding the instructions and I need to purchase any additional parts.

You need a ceiling plate to attach the drop tube to. Also the RPA168 will hold the projector, more secure, than the RPAU.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3276 of 3392 Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello. I was just wondering how many of you use your projector on a daily basis? How many hours per week/per month do you aproximately use it?
post #3277 of 3392 Old 06-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Hello. I am thinking about the possibility to buy a second projector (like the Epson 2030 or BenQ W1070) for daily use and gaming and use my 5030 only for movie watching on weekends. Cheaper projectors like the 2030/W1070 do not have lens shiftting. Though my projector is near the center of the screen I just couldn't have got it to the exact center without the 5030 lens shiffting feature. I have try the KEYSTONE correction of the 5030 and find it almost useless. I mean if my projector didn't have said LS feature it would have been impossible to obtain a center image.

My question is: is the Epson 2030 and/or the W1070 keystone correction as useless as the 5030 one or is it better or different? Could it be that everybody who buys a projector without lens shiftting can place their projector at the exact center of the screen?
post #3278 of 3392 Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

I believe you will also need a CMA-101 ceiling plate. I suggest you call the AV Science Store and they can sell you all of the Chief parts for the configuration you need, at a discount price.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3279 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post

Hello. I am thinking about the possibility to buy a second projector (like the Epson 2030 or BenQ W1070) for daily use and gaming and use my 5030 only for movie watching on weekends. Cheaper projectors like the 2030/W1070 do not have lens shiftting. Though my projector is near the center of the screen I just couldn't have got it to the exact center without the 5030 lens shiffting feature. I have try the KEYSTONE correction of the 5030 and find it almost useless. I mean if my projector didn't have said LS feature it would have been impossible to obtain a center image.

My question is: is the Epson 2030 and/or the W1070 keystone correction as useless as the 5030 one or is it better or different? Could it be that everybody who buys a projector without lens shiftting can place their projector at the exact center of the screen?

I used to own the w1070 and it is a great PJ for the money. It has a small amount of vertical shift but no horizontal shift at all, so yes, it does need to be mounted in the centre, horizontally. I wasn't in quite the ideal position vertically but I didn't need to use Keystone fortunately, which always gives a poor result IME.

post #3280 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post

Not for games. I use mine quite a bit with the XBox One and PS4.
Hmm. I have a TW7200 (4030) and the image gets pretty badly mangled by Fast Mode - even to the point that it looks like the resolution drops well into sub-HD territory.

I'm using an Xbox 360 and while the 4030 is, of course, less expensive that it's bigger brothers, it seems odd that there should be such a big difference in the impact of Fast Mode?
post #3281 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas_X View Post

Hmm. I have a TW7200 (4030) and the image gets pretty badly mangled by Fast Mode - even to the point that it looks like the resolution drops well into sub-HD territory.

I'm using an Xbox 360 and while the 4030 is, of course, less expensive that it's bigger brothers, it seems odd that there should be such a big difference in the impact of Fast Mode?

Couldn't really say, other than considering it has different internals it doesn't surprise me there's a difference in quality between models for "fast" processing mode.

In any case I stopped using my PJ for all gaming because while I could adjust to the input lag to a degree I found that playing on such a giant screen just wasn't working for me. I switched to a 50' plasma TV with very low input lag and the combination of that plus the smaller screen made a huge difference to me.

Not to mention I get to save my PJ bulb for movies smile.gif
post #3282 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Liked: 21
Got a bright blue pixel stuck right in the middle of the screen. Anything I can do to help remedy it or am I going to have to give epson a call?
post #3283 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I used to own the w1070 and it is a great PJ for the money. It has a small amount of vertical shift but no horizontal shift at all, so yes, it does need to be mounted in the centre, horizontally. I wasn't in quite the ideal position vertically but I didn't need to use Keystone fortunately, which always gives a poor result IME.

If I needed to adjust the horizontal image with the w1070 as it has no horizontal shift, could I always adjust it via keystone even with the "distorsions" in the image the keystone makes?

I have read that in order to use the w1070 you either need to place it high on the ceiling or low in a low coffee table but not in a shelf? I would need to place it in a shelf being that if I were to draw an imaginary line from the lens projector to the screen said imaginary line would be just 8 inches shy from the center of the screen (my screen is a 135" with a total height, incluiding frame of 70 inches. Horizontal wise the projector would be also about 8-10 inches from the center.

Do you think in said conditions the w1070 would do? Or would I rather stick with a projector like Epson 2030? As I'm looking for a second projector to use it daily and keep my 5030 only for the weekends I dont' want to spend more than $1000...

Thank you.
post #3284 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Hi everybody, I don't write here to often but I just bought my 5030UB last week and I noticed when I cranked up the 3D depth, black bars appear on each side of the screen, at 0 it's fine but when I go on the plus side it starts on the left and when I go minus it starts on the right, at +3 I have approx.. a 2inch bar on each side. I read pretty much of the thread and I didn't see this problem or situation but sorry if I missed it. Please can somebody help me on this.smile.gif
post #3285 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

Has anyone figured out the Dish Hopper remote code that will turn the 5030 off/on?
I found one that will turn it on, one that will turn it off, but not one that will do both.

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever solve this?
post #3286 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
No, I switched to DirectTV
post #3287 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The black bars are because any 3D Depth setting other than 0 is an artificial offset in the separation of the left and right images.
This is achieved by moving the respective frames to the right and left more or less, cutting off elements of the frame and therefore introducing black bars.
post #3288 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 PM

Need a little help on screen size. I just purchased the Epson 5030 for my dedicated media room which is 21'x30', 10' ceiling, with no windows. I have been contemplating between going with 135" screen vs 120". I plan to have two rows of five for seating. I do like watching 3D and wonder if the 5030 will still be bright enough on a 135" screen. Any input would be very helpful.
post #3289 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCL View Post

Need a little help on screen size. I just purchased the Epson 5030 for my dedicated media room which is 21'x30', 10' ceiling, with no windows. I have been contemplating between going with 135" screen vs 120". I plan to have two rows of five for seating. I do like watching 3D and wonder if the 5030 will still be bright enough on a 135" screen. Any input would be very helpful.

Since I like a bright punchy picture, I would recommend a 120" diagonal screen myself.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3290 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

If I needed to adjust the horizontal image with the w1070 as it has no horizontal shift, could I always adjust it via keystone even with the "distorsions" in the image the keystone makes?

I have read that in order to use the w1070 you either need to place it high on the ceiling or low in a low coffee table but not in a shelf? I would need to place it in a shelf being that if I were to draw an imaginary line from the lens projector to the screen said imaginary line would be just 8 inches shy from the center of the screen (my screen is a 135" with a total height, incluiding frame of 70 inches. Horizontal wise the projector would be also about 8-10 inches from the center.

Do you think in said conditions the w1070 would do? Or would I rather stick with a projector like Epson 2030? As I'm looking for a second projector to use it daily and keep my 5030 only for the weekends I dont' want to spend more than $1000...

Thank you.

There's no horizontal keystone, so that isn't an option unfortunately.

I operated my w1070 on a ceiling mount with the PJ broadly in line with the top of the screen. The calculator over at Projector Central will show you the max and min heights available to you if you feed in the data for the w1070. If the PJ is off centre by 8 inches, I wouldn't worry too much. You will probably find that the geometry is a little off and will result in a slightly distorted picture but it's likely you wouldn't even notice it on real life content. It's all you can do if you can't centre it. You are beginning to appreciate the joys of lens shift!

The low cost PJs tend to be DLP and DLP PJs often do not feature lens shift. The w1070 has a small vertical offset but zero horizontal offset, but if you are only out b7 8 inches you will probably be OK, with the caveat that the image will be a little distorted when you point the PJ at the centre of the screen. Could you move the screen 8 inches to the side to compensate?

I would suspect you will be OK with the w1070 but it's difficult to be 100% sure from thousands of miles away. If you buy from a place with a good returns policy (like Amazon etc) that would be a safe way to assess it.  Good luck.

obonillaf likes this.
post #3291 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not sure how to explain the problem I am experiencing with 3d, but here goes. On many 3d titles I'll notice a ghosting like effect on say a landscape background in a scene and if I move the depth setting on the projector a couple of positions it becomes sharp and clear. The problem is then in another scene that depth setting might be wrong again and I'll move it back and it's fine once more. I just noticed that if this is happening and pause the player the image goes sharp and ghosting goes away while it is displaying a paused 3d picture, but the problem shows up once I hit play again. Is this my player? Hdmi cable? Projector player synch issue? Any ideas? I do get a solid 3d picture with Gravity, Avatar, and Prometheus btw. Thanks for any input.
post #3292 of 3392 Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Thanks bigly for the reply,but If I undestand, there's nothing wrong with the projector I just should leave it at 0.
post #3293 of 3392 Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What does "setup level" mean - and should I care about it? It's in the Advanced settings menu. The manual says:

Setup Level: adjusts the level at which dark areas of the image
are rendered black; leave this setting at 0% for most video
equipment; check your video equipment specifications to verify the correct setting

I have this funny feeling that other equipment specifications may or may not use the term "setup level" and I will never know if I've set it up wrong. Any pointers here on what this really means?

I tried a search but I can't figure out how to make searches useful in vBulletin yet. It's a tough thing to transition to this new forum software.

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #3294 of 3392 Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What setting for Iris

Wondering if you guys use the auto iris, and if so, at high or normal?
Does it make a difference, I find it hard to see any when I switch between high and off, maybe I am not looking at what I should be-I just assume the black background should get significantly blacker-yes?
Thanks
post #3295 of 3392 Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Does it make a difference, I find it hard to see any when I switch between high and off, maybe I am not looking at what I should be-I just assume the black background should get significantly blacker-yes?
Thanks
Yes a black screen should get darker with Iris on. But you may not notice it if you have ambient light in the room.

I leave mine set to high speed.
post #3296 of 3392 Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks
You'll see (and maybe hear) it work if you pause a disc on a dark background and then hit the the PJ Menu button to bring up the menu. As the fairly bright menu appears you will see the background black change. If you listen carefully you should also hear the iris operate.
post #3297 of 3392 Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
You'll see (and maybe hear) it work if you pause a disc on a dark background and then hit the the PJ Menu button to bring up the menu. As the fairly bright menu appears you will see the background black change. If you listen carefully you should also hear the iris operate.
You actually touched on the reason for my post; the noise of the iris in high or normal , with lamp on Eco, is extremely bothersome- pj is directly overhead and only 8 ft ceiling. Basically, I would like to run it with the iris off, but not if it will adversely impact the black levels. I have read from others that they don't think it does all that much. Do you believe and see a benefit from using it and would this be less obvious in a totally light- controlled room, or does that not matter?
Thanks.
post #3298 of 3392 Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The better blacks with the iris on are more obvious in a totally light controlled room, not less obvious (with some ambient light the blacks can never be that great, hence you don't lose much with iris off). But the big improvement is only really in those fade to black scenes, and for most of a (typical) movie the iris doesn't do much.

Also, not everyone has a noisy iris and I believe some people have swapped units to get a quieter one.
post #3299 of 3392 Old 06-13-2014, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You actually touched on the reason for my post; the noise of the iris in high or normal , with lamp on Eco, is extremely bothersome- pj is directly overhead and only 8 ft ceiling. Basically, I would like to run it with the iris off, but not if it will adversely impact the black levels. I have read from others that they don't think it does all that much. Do you believe and see a benefit from using it and would this be less obvious in a totally light- controlled room, or does that not matter?
Thanks.
Can you hear the iris opening and closing even when playing content at normal levels? If so, that is a loud iris - certainly louder than mine.

Just experiment with it on and off and see if you find the enhanced blacks are worth it for you. You will feel the benefit of the auti-iris more in a light controlled room.
post #3300 of 3392 Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
Hi, I have an issue with the projector and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be going on.

The projector will stop throwing am image for a few seconds (screen goes black), then the image will come back on, then off, over and over etc. This has happened twice now in the last couple weeks.

Issue could also be with my Sony receiver that it is passing through.

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page