Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 3393 Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After 6 months and about 630 lamp hours my bulb has begun to flicker. Major disappointment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3393 Old 06-22-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysmythe View Post
After 6 months and about 630 lamp hours my bulb has begun to flicker. Major disappointment.
Once I played a blu ray (3D) it stopped. I'm afraid to switch sources now. It was flickering on hdmi 1 which is my mac and hdmi 2 with blu ray player on but no disc playing.
post #3333 of 3393 Old 06-22-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysmythe View Post
Once I played a blu ray (3D) it stopped. I'm afraid to switch sources now. It was flickering on hdmi 1 which is my mac and hdmi 2 with blu ray player on but no disc playing.

It's not the source, but the high lamp mode used for 3D that probably fixed the flickering. It might come back, but if it does then running the lamp on high for a few hours is often reported to cure flickering.
post #3334 of 3393 Old 06-22-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You can also try if its the iris.Try turning it off and see what happens with the flicker.
post #3335 of 3393 Old 06-22-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin View Post
You can also try if its the iris.Try turning it off and see what happens with the flicker.
Thanks for the reply. Interesting about high lamp trick. I did try turning off the iris first and that didn't correct it. I let the movie play through a couple times because I was busy with other things, but it is over so let's see what happens now.
post #3336 of 3393 Old 06-22-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
It's not the source, but the high lamp mode used for 3D that probably fixed the flickering. It might come back, but if it does then running the lamp on high for a few hours is often reported to cure flickering.
After leaving 3D mode it didn't flicker on 2D mode of blu ray menu screen so I just powered it down. I hope it's not a continual issue. Otherwise Epson will be hearing from me I suppose.
post #3337 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
post #3338 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBoy View Post
I would appreciate feedback from other owners on two issues with my 5030ub.

1) Watching World Cup Soccer with FI=on (any level) the ball occasionally "stutters" or "jerks" when kicked. Normally it is very smooth. Never happens when frame interpolation is off. Is this normal?

2) Panel convergence needs settings of 6 in many places. Again, is this normal?

1) Can't say for sure, but I doubt there's anything wrong with your particular unit. No FI scheme is going to work perfectly and a small object moving against a busy background is likely to trip up the algorithm occasionally. Especially with TV where the picture is usually overcompressed and has its own artifacts that make it more difficult for the FI algorithm.

2) If you have to adjust convergence it's better if you shift by the same value in all four corners (and only in the corners), and adjust by a multiple of 8. If you do this you are just globally shifting each panel by a whole pixel and you won't lose any resolution due to interpolation effects. If you feel convergence is bad enough to be noticable at your normal viewing distance and you have to adjust different parts of the screen by different amounts, maybe you should ask for a replacement.
post #3339 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi everyone,

About a month ago, I purchased an Epson 5030UB projector for computer and home theater usage and have some blurring issues. The issue is that while I can very accurately set the focus for the center of the screen, there's blur on the left and right side of the screen. When displaying a computer desktop, icons are definitely fuzzy while the center of the screen is sharp. No focus adjustment will correct all portions of the screen simultaneously. Also, the focus in general seems to stray a little, day to day. Periodically it requires input from me to get the image clear again. Are these things normal for this projector?

The projector has 80 hours on the bulb now and is mated with a fixed 100" Elite Screens CineGrey 5D ambient light rejecting screen. The throw distance is from the center of the lens is just under 12' and the height is about the same as the top of the screen. I'm not using any horizontal lens shift or keystone, and the diagonal distances between the lens and the corners of the screen are within 1/4 inch, so I'm confident that I'm centered and perpendicular.

Thoughts?
Thanks
post #3340 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by eydsamoht View Post
No focus adjustment will correct all portions of the screen simultaneously. Also, the focus in general seems to stray a little, day to day. Periodically it requires input from me to get the image clear again.
Normal... the best you can do is focus so you get the best compromise across the entire image. Often that's defocusing the center a bit. It takes quite a while for the projector to "warm up" and the focus will change during the warm-up period. It should be fairly stable after an hour or so... focus once it's fully warmed up and don't check it right after turning it on... or you'll go nuts like I did way back when... spending an hour focusing the projector which was plenty warm after I got done and I would start all over again after turning it on as it was badly out of focus.

You can also check the lens by focusing each corner to verify its not causing an issue. From my experience if you are using a computer (Desktop) to any extent it's hard not to go with DLP... I tried LCD, LCoS and SXRD and none of from cut it. For me it wasn't just the 3-panel alignment...
post #3341 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Noise if sitting directly under the 5030UB?

Newbie here. Wanting to get an Epson 5030UB for dedicated total light-controlled media room. I want to use it on Eco power mounted about 10' from a 92" screen. I'd be sitting right under it. Is there any issue with the noise this PJ puts out if you are sitting right underneath it in either 2D or 3D mode at Low (Eco) power mode? Ceiling is 8' 9" high and I'll be mounting it on a ceiling mount with a 12" extension tube. Is anyone bothered by the fan noise during quiet scenes if sitting real close to the PJ?
post #3342 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I just set my up this past week, and it's pretty quiet in eco mode. When I turn on one of the dynamic modes it's pretty loud, but eco is quiet. And I even found it quiet when I was up on the ladder right next to adjusting the geometry.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #3343 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Fan noise?

Well, my design of putting it 10' from projector was assuming it was bright enough at that distance to use Eco or low power mode (this is what reviews and Projector calculators said) so I sure hope it works out that way to have both low fan noise plus extended bulb life. I was briefly considering the Sony 40ES because of its low fan noise but really want to stay with the Epson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
I just set my up this past week, and it's pretty quiet in eco mode. When I turn on one of the dynamic modes it's pretty loud, but eco is quiet. And I even found it quiet when I was up on the ladder right next to adjusting the geometry.
post #3344 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Normal... the best you can do is focus so you get the best compromise across the entire image. Often that's defocusing the center a bit. It takes quite a while for the projector to "warm up" and the focus will change during the warm-up period. It should be fairly stable after an hour or so... focus once it's fully warmed up and don't check it right after turning it on... or you'll go nuts like I did way back when... spending an hour focusing the projector which was plenty warm after I got done and I would start all over again after turning it on as it was badly out of focus.

You can also check the lens by focusing each corner to verify its not causing an issue. From my experience if you are using a computer (Desktop) to any extent it's hard not to go with DLP... I tried LCD, LCoS and SXRD and none of from cut it. For me it wasn't just the 3-panel alignment...
Thanks. I've been messing with the focus during the warm up period, which is probably part of my problem. I'll try to find a happy medium with focus between the edges and the center. As an aside, is this issue relevant to all projectors or mainly just this one?
post #3345 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald View Post
Well, my design of putting it 10' from projector was assuming it was bright enough at that distance to use Eco or low power mode (this is what reviews and Projector calculators said) so I sure hope it works out that way to have both low fan noise plus extended bulb life. I was briefly considering the Sony 40ES because of its low fan noise but really want to stay with the Epson.
Well mine's about 14' from a 120" screen and a foot above it, and is plenty bright on an AT screen in Eco, it's way too bright in Dynamic. I haven't tried 3D yet though.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #3346 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Newbie here. Wanting to get an Epson 5030UB for dedicated total light-controlled media room. I want to use it on Eco power mounted about 10' from a 92" screen. I'd be sitting right under it. Is there any issue with the noise this PJ puts out if you are sitting right underneath it in either 2D or 3D mode at Low (Eco) power mode? Ceiling is 8' 9" high and I'll be mounting it on a ceiling mount with a 12" extension tube. Is anyone bothered by the fan noise during quiet scenes if sitting real close to the PJ?

I sit under mine (3-4 feet above my head) and I can not hear the fan unless it is a silent part of the movie, and even then it is barely noticeable. The Iris makes more noise than the fan but is not an issue for me.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #3347 of 3393 Old 06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by eydsamoht View Post
Thanks. I've been messing with the focus during the warm up period, which is probably part of my problem. I'll try to find a happy medium with focus between the edges and the center. As an aside, is this issue relevant to all projectors or mainly just this one?
It's been the case with every projector I have owned... a dozen or so. Some even shift the image a pixel or so in one direction as it warms up. One I had perfectly centered with the screen (after many attempts of aligning it up it would be plenty warm). Every time I turned it on I noticed it has shifted and I blamed the projector's lens shift mechanism as in being loose. After an hour I would have it all centered again... rinse and repeat until I finally realized it shifts while warming up.

I currently have a DLP and when it first powers up I instantly feel the image is fuzzy and I'm sure I could do better... fight the urge... after a while even the corners are sharp and it's looking almost as good as my monitor.

Fan wise based on my memory it's a low pitch whirl which helps. In my room the HVAC is louder and anything below the HVAC I call good. Surprisingly my DLP is as well (certainly not the case with the DLPs I have owned in the past).
post #3348 of 3393 Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircan View Post
Hi everybody, I don't write here to often but I just bought my 5030UB last week and I noticed when I cranked up the 3D depth, black bars appear on each side of the screen, at 0 it's fine but when I go on the plus side it starts on the left and when I go minus it starts on the right, at +3 I have approx.. a 2inch bar on each side. I read pretty much of the thread and I didn't see this problem or situation but sorry if I missed it. Please can somebody help me on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigly View Post
The black bars are because any 3D Depth setting other than 0 is an artificial offset in the separation of the left and right images.
This is achieved by moving the respective frames to the right and left more or less, cutting off elements of the frame and therefore introducing black bars.

Yesterday I watched Gamers in 3D and there was black bars on left and side of the screen, I went into menu and 3D depth was at 0, I thought those would appear only if I adjusted the depth, can anybody help me on this, I'm starting to think my projector might have a problem.
post #3349 of 3393 Old 06-26-2014, 10:40 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
1) Can't say for sure, but I doubt there's anything wrong with your particular unit. No FI scheme is going to work perfectly and a small object moving against a busy background is likely to trip up the algorithm occasionally. Especially with TV where the picture is usually overcompressed and has its own artifacts that make it more difficult for the FI algorithm.

2) If you have to adjust convergence it's better if you shift by the same value in all four corners (and only in the corners), and adjust by a multiple of 8. If you do this you are just globally shifting each panel by a whole pixel and you won't lose any resolution due to interpolation effects. If you feel convergence is bad enough to be noticable at your normal viewing distance and you have to adjust different parts of the screen by different amounts, maybe you should ask for a replacement.

Thanks for the comments.

1) On the FI, since no-one has confirmed they see the effect (or not) I'm still not sure if my unit is normal. I wasn't expecting this generation to have implementation issues but you're probably right that it is functioning normally.

2) Interesting idea on convergence approach, have you verified it actually improves resolution? Using the AVS calibration disc 1 pixel patterns I don't see any resolution loss using the "normal" method for convergence.
post #3350 of 3393 Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
What's the warranty on the lamp in the USA? In Europe it's 5 years or 3,000 hours, so if the OP's lamp is faulty it's a warranty replacement (here at least).
Wow, that is impressive! I'm pretty sure we get 90 days. My lamp seems fine again, out of town but I will use it and see when I get home.
post #3351 of 3393 Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Why do I see black bars

I watched Lone Survivor last night on my 6030 and the bars were quite noticeable. I am using the factory set THX MODE with only one change, contrast at -3. No change to the black level. If I lower the black level, I know the bars may then be less obvious, but will that screw up my blacks and shadow detail. I used HD DVD basics disc and the black level seems to be spot on.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
post #3352 of 3393 Old 06-27-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did shoot-out 5030 vs. new Sony 40ES (got at local Best Buy for $1,995 - deal!).

Ended up keeping 5030. Short of it: better blacks.

I tested all my standard dark favs: Alien, Blade Runner, 2001, Suspiria (of course!), NOES, Drive, There Will be Blood. Yes, I have eclectic taste. Even tested The Tourist, some lovely cinematography with I'm sure a few drinking games in there somewhere.

Time again the Epson had deeper blacks. I'm ornery about this kind of thing, spend a lot of my time in edit suites cutting videos. Color correction & grading are two of my favorite past times.

Also, the Sony -- and I'm convinced it's still a great projector -- proved to be more "digital". It seemed more pixelated. And the noise was less cinematic, if that makes sense. The gorgeous scene when Bond is headed in the classic Aston to Skyfall is perfect test material imho.

Thanks to the 5030's stellar lens shift ability, I was able to adjust the lift so it drops from ceiling less (see pics, though it's even less now). There was no noticeable image distortion except perhaps for the faintest pincushion at bottom - that was more pronounced on the 40ES.

Other pros for the Epson: bright! motorized shutter cover (sweet), and brilliant 3D (though I don't use it much).

About the only downside is the noise as everyone as alluded to already. The Sony is almost completely silent... all the time. The 5030 does make fairly obvious noise in normal mode. Thankfully ECO is far better, so that's okay by me.

I'll write more soon on my findings. I upgraded from a 7 year-old Panasonic AX100 that was quite the beast - only on my 2nd bulb!

Clint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Projector-Stark-Insider-2643.jpg (569.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Projector-Stark-Insider-2652.jpg (752.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Projector-Stark-Insider-2653.jpg (732.8 KB, 44 views)
post #3353 of 3393 Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 PM

One more, comparo. Like the looks of both units!

Going to watch Under the Skin tonight. Artsy ftw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Projector-Stark-Insider-2649.jpg (886.0 KB, 38 views)
post #3354 of 3393 Old 06-28-2014, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I sit almost directly under my 6030 in room with 8 ft. ceiling-it is on a Chief mount, about an 1inch from the ceiling. I find that in THX mode, which puts the lamp on low power, that I have plenty of light output (12'6" from 114" 16:9 screen with 1.0 gain and light-controlled room). If I switch to living room or dynamic,it goes into high output, the noise does become somewhat bothersome, but I only use this for sports and even then I can get away by changing it to low output.
What will probably bother you is the noise from the IRIS, even in normal, it is constantly making noise-BUT, if you are watching an action movie vs quieter movie, it is hidden by the sound track. I find the iris more of an issue because the sound is not constant. At least the fan on high is a continuous noise, so you tend to adjust to it, not so the iris (in my case). Maybe I have a noisy iris.
For me, I may just turn the iris off (only had pj about 4 months, still experimenting) and use low mode 95% of the time.
Hope this helps.
post #3355 of 3393 Old 06-30-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello all,
I've had my 5030ub up for a couple months now and love it. However, I need some help. I'm trying to fine tune it just a bit with my HTPC and here is my problem... say I'm looking at a website (this one for example), I can't see my scroll bar on the right. So, I thought I will just hit the pattern button on the remote and notch down the zoom (or whatever it is called to make the picture a bit smaller) a bit trying to get the white lines right on the edge of the black border. The problem I have with doing this is that when I put the white vertical lines (left and right) right on the border, then there is just a bit of space left on the top and bottom lines... meaning the top and bottom white lines don't quite reach to the black border of my screen leaving a blank spot... it is probably a half inch... maybe even less. It is definitely noticeable though. If I make the picture bigger so the white lines reach the very edge on top and bottom, then it over shoots just a bit on the left and right and then I can't see my scroll bar again.

So, does this mean my screen isn't "exactly" 16:9? I can live with it if I need to. I'm just making sure there is nothing I can do from the projector stand point to fix this to where I can get those white lines right on the edge or just over shoot a bit, but have it an even overshoot between the vertical and horizontal lines.

I'm happy that I at least have it all straight now though... the lines run perfectly parallel with the border of the screen which is nice.

Anyway, I hope I explained this well. Maybe I just need to stop being a perfectionist and enjoy what I got.

Thanks,
Doug D.
post #3356 of 3393 Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdude9 View Post
...So, does this mean my screen isn't "exactly" 16:9? I can live with it if I need to. I'm just making sure there is nothing I can do from the projector stand point to fix this to where I can get those white lines right on the edge or just over shoot a bit, but have it an even overshoot between the vertical and horizontal lines.

It could be that your screen is not exactly 16:9, but you can check that with a tape measure.

One thing that prevents the projector from filling a 16:9 screen exactly is the use of keystone correction. So make sure you're not using that.
post #3357 of 3393 Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

I have the exact same issue, the image is just a bit wider than the screen when I fill it out top to bottom. I don't use a PC on it, so I'm not too concerned myself.

post #3358 of 3393 Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdude9 View Post
Hello all,
I've had my 5030ub up for a couple months now and love it. However, I need some help. I'm trying to fine tune it just a bit with my HTPC and here is my problem... say I'm looking at a website (this one for example), I can't see my scroll bar on the right. So, I thought I will just hit the pattern button on the remote and notch down the zoom (or whatever it is called to make the picture a bit smaller) a bit trying to get the white lines right on the edge of the black border. The problem I have with doing this is that when I put the white vertical lines (left and right) right on the border, then there is just a bit of space left on the top and bottom lines... meaning the top and bottom white lines don't quite reach to the black border of my screen leaving a blank spot... it is probably a half inch... maybe even less. It is definitely noticeable though. If I make the picture bigger so the white lines reach the very edge on top and bottom, then it over shoots just a bit on the left and right and then I can't see my scroll bar again.

So, does this mean my screen isn't "exactly" 16:9? I can live with it if I need to. I'm just making sure there is nothing I can do from the projector stand point to fix this to where I can get those white lines right on the edge or just over shoot a bit, but have it an even overshoot between the vertical and horizontal lines.

I'm happy that I at least have it all straight now though... the lines run perfectly parallel with the border of the screen which is nice.

Anyway, I hope I explained this well. Maybe I just need to stop being a perfectionist and enjoy what I got.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Same issue here. Projector always overshoots more L/R than T/B. Same thing with my previous projector AX100, and the Sony 40ES I tested. Must mean my screen (Screen Innovations) is not exactly 16:9. But I just zoom out a little and let image bleed on black border. All good!
post #3359 of 3393 Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for the replies about the screen filling out more on the sides than top to bottom. I'm not that concerned about it. I can always scroll without using the side scroll bar. I actually have it setup now to where I can see just a bit of it.

Thanks,
Doug D.
post #3360 of 3393 Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircan View Post
Yesterday I watched Gamers in 3D and there was black bars on left and side of the screen, I went into menu and 3D depth was at 0, I thought those would appear only if I adjusted the depth, can anybody help me on this, I'm starting to think my projector might have a problem.

Please anybody, I'm really trying to find out if my projector has something wrong.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page