Forum Jump: 

post #3391 of 3404 Old 07-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Lamp indicator

Last night I ran Audyssey after making some speaker position changes and the lamp indicator on my still very new 5030 was flashing. I turned the projector off for a few minutes then back on and it worked normal. I have 30 hours on the lamp; should I contact Epson or could this have just been a non-issue.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3404 Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't see the advanced settings page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Have you read the write up at Projector Reviews ? They have some good info on various settings. Worth a read.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...jector-review/
Seems you need to be a paying member to see the advanced settings page.
post #3393 of 3404 Old 07-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Changed point 3 from "SDE" to read "visible pixel structure"

3D issue

Just got my 5030ub a couple of days ago. My first LCD projector. Very pleased except for three issues: 1) 3D crosstalk 2) 3D glasses fitting 3) visible pixel structure

1) 3D crosstalk. Seems to vary across blu-rays. But Iron Man 3 is very bad. I have tried adjusting depth (and screen size) in the 3D settings to reduce crosstalk but adjustment is not uniform across the picture. Specifically, if I adjust to eliminate ghosting at one part of the picture, it gets worse at another. It seems related to the depth position of the image - eg. if I fix the part of the image popping out, ghosting in middle depth part of the image increases.

See here for a fuller explanation: http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/3d...alk-artifacts/

2) Glasses fit. I wear big wayfarer glasses and the 3D glasses fit over them is not good. Does anyone know how to remove the nose support? It doesn't seem to be attached by hex or phillips screws.

3) I sit very close to the screen 3m (10'). At 100" sized screen I get minimal visible pixel structure. But at 120" (the size I was planning to go to) - it's very noticeable. For comparison, my Optoma HD33 DLP projector is fine at 120" (but too dim - hence my upgrade to the Epson). Anyway, live and learn. nothing wrong with the projector - moral of the story - do full research first!

Last edited by blueEyedFrog; 07-26-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: SDE inaccurate description of the issue
post #3394 of 3404 Old 07-24-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueEyedFrog View Post
3D issue

Just got my 5030ub a couple of days ago. My first LCD projector. Very pleased except for three issues: 1) 3D crosstalk 2) 3D glasses fitting 3) screendoor effect

1) 3D crosstalk. Seems to vary across blu-rays. But Iron Man 3 is very bad. I have tried adjusting depth (and screen size) in the 3D settings to reduce crosstalk but adjustment is not uniform across the picture. Specifically, if I adjust to eliminate ghosting at one part of the picture, it gets worse at another. It seems related to the depth position of the image - eg. if I fix the part of the image popping out, ghosting in middle depth part of the image increases.

See here for a fuller explanation: http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/3d...alk-artifacts/

2) Glasses fit. I wear big wayfarer glasses and the 3D glasses fit over them is not good. Does anyone know how to remove the nose support? It doesn't seem to be attached by hex or phillips screws.

3) I sit very close to the screen 3m (10'). At 100" sized screen I get no screen door effect. But at 120" (the size I was planning to go to) - it's very noticeable. For comparison, my Optoma HD33 DLP projector is fine at 120" (but too dim - hence my upgrade to the Epson). Anyway, live and learn. nothing wrong with the projector - moral of the story - do full research first!
Pixel spacing is closer together on an LCOS projector. That is one reason why people like the Sony's and JVC's. Screen door is not an issue with them.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3395 of 3404 Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hey guys. I've been wondering for some time now if my Epson 5030 projector would benefit from doing a panel alignment. I've attached a couple pics to get some opinions. Also, I've went back and read the steps posted on how to perform a panel alignment and it doesn't really make sense. Can someone explain exactly how that works? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3396 of 3404 Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueEyedFrog View Post

1) 3D crosstalk. Seems to vary across blu-rays. But Iron Man 3 is very bad.
Watched Tron last night - the problem is not nearly as bad - I still suspect that my old Optoma HD33 was better - but possibly the overall better picture quality of the Epson makes the crosstalk more apparent.

Thanks for the LCOS suggestion - will checkout - anything price-wise comparable you can suggest?
post #3397 of 3404 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
How close to a 120 inch screen do you need to be with the 5030ub to start to see SDE? I will be somewhere between 10 - 14 feet away.
post #3398 of 3404 Old Today, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
How close to a 120 inch screen do you need to be with the 5030ub to start to see SDE? I will be somewhere between 10 - 14 feet away.
I have a 120" screen as well and sit about 13 feet away from mine and can't detect any SDE whatsoever.

post #3399 of 3404 Old Today, 07:01 AM

Would I be ok at 10 feet do you think? The wife wants a back sitting ledge behind the couch and If I do that it pushes my main seating up to around 10 - 11ish feet or so. I really don't want to go smaller on the screen. And my plan is to leave the back "ledge" free floating so when not needed I can push it back against the wall flush and the couch can be back 3 feet or so. But I'm concerned for anyone sitting closer. I guess at what distance from your screen do you start to detect SDE?

Thanks in advance!
post #3400 of 3404 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
At 10', yes it is a very real possibility. At 14' no. 10' viewing is 1.15 screen widths. 14' is 1.62 screen widths.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3401 of 3404 Old Today, 07:59 AM

OK thanks. I'll be shining it on the wall first before deciding on a screen so i guess when the time comes I'll be able to judge for myself. I wish my room was a bit deeper!
post #3402 of 3404 Old Today, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 168
Quote:
Would I be ok at 10 feet do you think?
At roughly 12' I have a difficult time focusing on the entire image with a 120" diagonal image. Such that you can't see or focus on the entire image at once. I rarely see this "issue" addressed. At any closer I would probably be viewing half the image at any one time. Even now I'd guess I see roughly three quarters of it... without forcing myself to focus on the entire image which quickly gets rather uncomfortable.
post #3403 of 3404 Old Today, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
At roughly 12' I have a difficult time focusing on the entire image with a 120" diagonal image. Such that you can't see or focus on the entire image at once. I rarely see this "issue" addressed. At any closer I would probably be viewing half the image at any one time. Even now I'd guess I see roughly three quarters of it... without forcing myself to focus on the entire image which quickly gets rather uncomfortable.
Besides SDE and other artifacts one can see being close to the screen, your post illustrates how one needs to figure out if they are a front row, middle of the theater or near the back of the theater person. That helps determine how big a screen and how close. Me, 12' 6" from a 122" diagonal 16:9 and 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen seems about right !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3404 of 3404 Old Today, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Besides SDE and other artifacts one can see being close to the screen, your post illustrates how one needs to figure out if they are a front row, middle of the theater or near the back of the theater person.
I agree there is the "How close one prefers to sit" comfort factor but I think this is some what of a different issue. I guess I would define it more as how many degrees (wide) can one focus on for any length of time. I know for a fact I can't focus on my entire screen for any length of time. My eyes are too stained. When I watch a movie my eyes only focus on a section of the screen at a time. I have seen 30 degrees recommended as a minimum... I wonder what the maximum should be. THX states 40 degrees should be the maximum (1.2 viewing distance).

I'm not saying that's a bad thing per se rather I'm just commenting on that fact (for me) I never really see the entire image as I would in my den with my 60" diagonal image from roughly the same distance.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page