Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum
First ... 115  116  117 118  119  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 07:53 AM 08-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Hello all. I have a few questions for you guys. I'm getting ready to order the Epson 5030 and will be projecting onto a 120" diagonal 16:9 Seymour retractable AT screen that will drop down in front of my speakers. I'm in the process of doing the layout in my living room. I'll be setting 12' away from the screen and the projector will be mounted 3-4' directly overhead. I originally had intentions of using a low profile ceiling mount (that would put it ~ 3' above my head). Now I'm thinking it might cool if I put it in the column directly above that (I've attached pics to show this). Although, there may be a couple of problems with this. First would be space above the top of projector for enough ventilation to stay cool. Front, back, and sides would be fine I think because the front of the column would be totally open (for the air intake and output on the front of projector) as well as the back of the column and I could make it as wide as needed for space on the sides. The only thing that would be pretty tight would be the top. Projector dimensions are: 18.3"W x 6.2"H (with feet) x 15.5"D and column dimensions are 8.5" H x 19"D. I don't think the column is load barring/supporting of the ceiling (2 story with loft above) but depending on how the bracing is set up I know I will not have that much height to work with unless I can make some space above the column. Also having a sturdy platform the projector to set on will take up some space.

If that all worked out and the projector would stay cool enough, the next possible problem would be enough vertical lens shift (without using keystone) to have the top of the 120" diagonal image 13" from the top of the ceiling. I read a 5030 review the other day saying that from the middle of the lens to the top of a 100" diagonal image could go down as far as 22.5". That's quite a bit of vertical lens shift so I think it would go down far enough for my 120". Do you guys know if PQ or lumens is effected when approaching maximum lens shift? The last possible problem would be some of the projected light hitting the tip of the fan blade if it was on (would be close I think).

The wife definitely likes the idea of the projector being mostly hidden with a cleaner look. I think it would be cool as well. I'm really into 3D so I'm sure I'll be watching a lot with the Dynamic 3D mode (for the brightest possible image) with the fan at its noisiest/fastest. So putting the projector in the column would put it about a foot higher above my head than with a ceiling mount to the bottom of the column. That and the somewhat enclosed projector would probably cut down a little bit on the high speed fan noise. Do you guys think this is a good idea and would work or should I just stick with the original plan and use the ceiling mount to mount to bottom side of the column?

One other question ...sorry for the long winded post. I'm ready to purchase this projector soon but keep trying to talk myself into waiting to see if Epson comes out with a 5040 soon after CEDIA. My screen wont be here for 3-4 weeks anyway. I'm pretty much maxed out on my budget but may be able to swing a few hundred more dollars if its around $2700 ish. Do you guys think it would be worth waiting to see? If so what do you think the earliest to purchase would be (I'm thinking maybe end of October possibly)? I'm so excited I don't know if I can wait that long

Thanks,
Shelby
Usually soffits are not framed up for the heck of it. It means something is in there. Either a beam, duct work or piping.

SBuger's Avatar SBuger 09:25 AM 08-27-2014
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! I'll get a chance to see in there soon but I'm thinking its gonna be a no go and have pretty much decided to use a projector mount.
dbldown768's Avatar dbldown768 08:55 PM 08-31-2014
Moved to 5020 thread... i had the wrong model...

My 5030 projector has been working just fine since I have had it. That's said just recently when the projector starts up I will see some of the picture and a bunch of clicking sounds. The sounds are in rapid succession for like a second. I check and I have auto iris turned off at the moment. Any thoughts? Device isn't even a year old. If it is a warranty claim do they send you a new or used device? I only have 393 lamp hours.
SightSeeker1's Avatar SightSeeker1 09:13 PM 08-31-2014
I just bought and installed the w1070 over the weekend with an elite spectrum 110" 1.1 electric screen. Everything looks great but I am just not getting enough black. It doesn't help that the first movie I watched was Pandorum where they are on a spaceship where the power is out the whole movie. The screen pretty much had an electronic glow to it the whole movie in all the dark scenes.

I'm willing to step up to the 5030 but I want to check if my room is going to throw it all off. The windows are blacked out so I have no ambient light when the lights are off. I painted the side walls a dark grey. I pained above the projector 5 feet back as well. My carpet is a light off white however and I have light colored room treatments a big tan painting on one of the walls. I plan to get a big dark area rug in front of the screen to scale that back some. I don't want to paint the entire ceiling because it's a family hang out room as well. Do you think it's worth it in my situation to upgrade for better blacks? This is for 100% movie duty BTW.

Here is a quick pic. Sorry for the mess I just put everything up yesterday and am still putting everything back together.

http://i.imgur.com/Y4budJ0.jpg
Skylinestar's Avatar Skylinestar 03:49 AM 09-01-2014
Has anyone try projecting a 120" 16:9 screen with a 24'throw distance? Is it bright enough?
Currently, my projector is projecting at 13' at Cinema (eco/low lamp mode). As it is very close, the contrast is compromised and black level suffered. The next possible location to place my projector on the rear wall with 24' throw. But I worry it will be too dim, even on normal lamp mode.

Is the projectorcentral calculator based on best mode / max brightness (dynamic) / cinema eco / cinema normal lamp?
(the calculated fL could be misleading without these details)
Attached: Capture.JPG (74.5 KB) 
Skylinestar's Avatar Skylinestar 03:53 AM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ The difference in brightness between the ends of the zoom range is often measured by the review sites. It's not the same amount for all projectors, but it's always brighter at the short throw end (projector as close as possible to the screen for a given image size).

What's harder to quantify are the other effects. Depth of field is reduced with short throw which makes it harder to achieve perfect focus (and can make it impossible to get perfect focus over the entire screen if things aren't perfectly aligned). Image contrast is also reduced with a shorter throw, and any aberrations caused by imperfect optics will be more noticable (but there won't necessarily be a big difference).

If you absolutely need the max brightness then go for the closest mounting position, otherwise you might want to mount it a bit further back. I can't really quantify it.
If I want the best black level & contrast, is it on the longest/furthest throw?
I've also read that at longer throw, image will be sharper.
pacemaker's Avatar pacemaker 03:54 AM 09-01-2014
Still looking for an answer to this and why I should stick with Epson when I am being deliberately ripped off?

Best prices in US and UK for the 9200/5030 are £2698.80 and $2599

So in the UK the same item costs £1134 or $1886 MORE!!

Surely this cannot be right and I am comparing the wrong models.
hotpepper007 05:37 AM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
If I want the best black level & contrast, is it on the longest/furthest throw?
I've also read that at longer throw, image will be sharper.
These are great quetions. I thought one does not want to be at either end of the lens limits. In the middle is best I would think. About 16ft from screen.
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 07:53 AM 09-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
If I want the best black level & contrast, is it on the longest/furthest throw?
I've also read that at longer throw, image will be sharper.

I would probably avoid the shortest throw, but beyond the middle of the zoom you probably get diminishing returns. For most people the brightness you lose at the long end offsets any theoretical improvement in other areas.

If possible move the PJ around and compare the different distances for yourself before committing to a permanent mounting position.
McGuireV10's Avatar McGuireV10 05:55 AM 09-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
Still looking for an answer to this and why I should stick with Epson when I am being deliberately ripped off?

Best prices in US and UK for the 9200/5030 are £2698.80 and $2599

So in the UK the same item costs £1134 or $1886 MORE!!

Surely this cannot be right and I am comparing the wrong models.
If I recall correctly, isn't VAT 20%? That accounts for roughly half of the markup. Smaller market and higher cost of doing business? Doesn't the UK always pay more for electronics? What was the old rant from the 90s, "Rip-Off Britain" I think... though I think that referred to car prices.
hmunster2's Avatar hmunster2 07:15 AM 09-04-2014
I have a 6030 (my 2nd) and wanted to see if anybody else is having this problem. At anytime while watching a bluray the picture disappears and the screen is totally black but the audio keeps playing.
This just happened last night while just starting the movie. After maybe 15 to 20 seconds the picture reappeared. I "rewound" the disc and it played normally. During this time the audio comes through uninterrupted. My first 6030 did similar things, but would totally lockup the projector, you could not even power it off except by removing the AC cord. This one doesn't do that. Before you ask, I have no HDMI handshaking enabled between the projector and bluray player, but have it between the bluray player and my Yamaha Rx-a830. I have the bluray going to the receiver and the receiver out to the Epson. Do you think it could be the bluray player?
Thanks
Keith Mickunas's Avatar Keith Mickunas 07:35 AM 09-04-2014
The likely culprit is either your receiver or your HDMI cable that is running to the projector. If the audio is still playing that implies the signal is still getting to the receiver just fine, and I doubt the blu-ray player would drop video mid-stream and keep sending audio if it was having a handshake problem. It would most likely stop altogether in that case.

What was the problem with your first 6030? If it acted the same then you need to be investigating the other devices in the chain.
McGuireV10's Avatar McGuireV10 07:38 AM 09-04-2014
All HDMI connections involve handshaking, it's an inescapable part of the protocol. If you go through additional devices (like your amp), then you have an additional handshake at each step of the process (and an additional opportunity for the whole house of cards to fall apart). Having a good connection at each end of all the cables and using good quality cables are the two obvious first things to deal with. My 5030UB seems to be *extremely* sensitive to cable quality.
Greg_R_STL's Avatar Greg_R_STL 11:45 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post
I just bought and installed the w1070 over the weekend with an elite spectrum 110" 1.1 electric screen. Everything looks great but I am just not getting enough black. It doesn't help that the first movie I watched was Pandorum where they are on a spaceship where the power is out the whole movie. The screen pretty much had an electronic glow to it the whole movie in all the dark scenes.

I'm willing to step up to the 5030 but I want to check if my room is going to throw it all off. The windows are blacked out so I have no ambient light when the lights are off. I painted the side walls a dark grey. I pained above the projector 5 feet back as well. My carpet is a light off white however and I have light colored room treatments a big tan painting on one of the walls. I plan to get a big dark area rug in front of the screen to scale that back some. I don't want to paint the entire ceiling because it's a family hang out room as well. Do you think it's worth it in my situation to upgrade for better blacks? This is for 100% movie duty BTW.

Here is a quick pic. Sorry for the mess I just put everything up yesterday and am still putting everything back together.

http://i.imgur.com/Y4budJ0.jpg
Your room is plenty dark. The only thing you can do is lower the brightness / gamma settings of the projector, or spend much more money on a projector.
Greg_R_STL's Avatar Greg_R_STL 11:49 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
I have a 6030 (my 2nd) and wanted to see if anybody else is having this problem. At anytime while watching a bluray the picture disappears and the screen is totally black but the audio keeps playing.
This just happened last night while just starting the movie. After maybe 15 to 20 seconds the picture reappeared. I "rewound" the disc and it played normally. During this time the audio comes through uninterrupted. My first 6030 did similar things, but would totally lockup the projector, you could not even power it off except by removing the AC cord. This one doesn't do that. Before you ask, I have no HDMI handshaking enabled between the projector and bluray player, but have it between the bluray player and my Yamaha Rx-a830. I have the bluray going to the receiver and the receiver out to the Epson. Do you think it could be the bluray player?
Thanks

I experienced this for the very first time on my 5030 running through a Marantz 7005, after adding another HDMI input from my cable box. This was the first time I ever had anything other than the blu ray player plugged into it, so I agree, the video is dropping during handshaking, which may go through a channel selection check when more than one signal is available.
WestCDA's Avatar WestCDA 12:40 PM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
I have a 6030 (my 2nd) and wanted to see if anybody else is having this problem. At anytime while watching a bluray the picture disappears and the screen is totally black but the audio keeps playing.
This just happened last night while just starting the movie. After maybe 15 to 20 seconds the picture reappeared. I "rewound" the disc and it played normally. During this time the audio comes through uninterrupted. My first 6030 did similar things, but would totally lockup the projector, you could not even power it off except by removing the AC cord. This one doesn't do that. Before you ask, I have no HDMI handshaking enabled between the projector and bluray player, but have it between the bluray player and my Yamaha Rx-a830. I have the bluray going to the receiver and the receiver out to the Epson. Do you think it could be the bluray player?
Thanks
Connect the player directly to the projector and see if the problem remains - that could at least eliminate the PJ as a problem for a start. Make sure your HDMI cables are secure in their sockets and are not under strain, and of sufficient gauge - especially if the projector run is a long one. I have all my sources go into a 5 x 1 HDMI switch, then from there to a 1 x 8 HDMI splitter. The splitter feeds different displays in the house, including a 35ft. cable to the 5030.

I previously used my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver to switch all the HDMI, but installed the 5 x 1 external switch after I started using 3D with the 5030 and a plasma display in another room (the receiver won't pass 3D). One of the eight splitter outputs comes back to the receiver now to pick up the HDMI audio in the projector room. With either the receiver or the external switch, I've never had intermittent audio or video dropouts - and there's a lot of connection points and HDMI handshaking going on. I use all 'standard' quality Monoprice cables (pre-3D, pre-Redmere) for the device cabling, with the longer display runs using heavy gauge in-wall cables (with port savers on each end) and everything seems to work fine - including with 3D ...
hmunster2's Avatar hmunster2 11:14 AM 09-05-2014
Thanks for all of the advice. I rechecked my HDMI link settings on the pj, avr and bluray and I had the bluray set to recognize the avr- I have set all to off in all 3 devices and will see what happens.
If it persists, I will do the other things recommended. I already checked all HDMI connections and they are tight. My cable is a good quality Tributary, so
I hope it isn't the cable.
Thanks again
lionhoho's Avatar lionhoho 09:28 PM 09-07-2014
I got a strange problem here with my 5030UB. I purchased this unit last year and it works fine till recently. Especially from last month, it shuts down randomly. Then the fan will speed up and blue+orange lights flashing. I checked the filter, it is very clean. This situation happened about 3 times for every 5 playing. Is this problem related to the temperature sensor? Anyone has idea about this? Any advises? Thanks a lot
climber07's Avatar climber07 09:55 PM 09-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionhoho View Post
I got a strange problem here with my 5030UB. I purchased this unit last year and it works fine till recently. Especially from last month, it shuts down randomly. Then the fan will speed up and blue+orange lights flashing. I checked the filter, it is very clean. This situation happened about 3 times for every 5 playing. Is this problem related to the temperature sensor? Anyone has idea about this? Any advises? Thanks a lot
Search the thread for blue light flashing. lardo5150 had the same issue. He got an RMA and they replaced the projector.
lionhoho's Avatar lionhoho 08:57 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Search the thread for blue light flashing. lardo5150 had the same issue. He got an RMA and they replaced the projector.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I've replaced for 4 units back to last year due to the convergence issue and the one I have now has the best performance. If it is not a serious issue, I prefer to repair it instead of change another one. Anyway, thank you for the help
lionhoho's Avatar lionhoho 11:21 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
Needing some help here.
Have had my 5030 for a few months now. Says I have around 221 hours of lamp time.
Zero issues. No fan issues, just strumming right along.

I come in tonight, turn it on. Watching about 10 minutes worth of tv and I hear the fan on it kick into high gear. It has never done this.
Then the lens shuts, the fan goes even higher, and I get the power blue and temp lights blinking at the same time.
It does this till it shuts down.

If I turn it on, it is rinse and repeat.

Any idea what is happening here? Anyway to access a console or something to see what is freaking out?

This thing does NOT feel hot either.
I got exactly the same issue as you described. The difference is my unit works fine after reboot. It won't happen twice in a same day so far. I plan to call them to have a repair instead of RMA. I like this one because it has perfect convergence.
Shaq 04:13 PM 09-10-2014
Epson has released a new firmware for the EH-TW9200 and its wireless version. It contains an improved version of the Super Resolution. From what I have heard now the Super Resolution works similar like Sony's Reality Creation and shows more details and sharpness.

Has anyone tested it yet?
gec5741's Avatar gec5741 07:26 AM 09-11-2014
Nice I'm excited to hear about this. Is this only for the wireless hdmi or will this be an improvement across the board? If epson isn't releasing anything new in this price range then this will probably be the projector I end up getting. And I'm actually ok with that. With it being out a year my hope would be all the bugs are worked out and better firmware like this be released. Looking forward to hearing more.
WynsWrld98's Avatar WynsWrld98 02:38 PM 09-11-2014
Current Epson 6010 owner, happy with it, but warranty coming to an end soon and I'm fearful owning an Epson out of warranty due to problems people often report with them costing about as much to repair as replacing them.

Was waiting for CEDIA to see if Epson announced a 6040/5040 but they aren't. So my question is for 6030/5030 owners who upgraded from a 6010/5010, can you give me an idea what I can expect in differences? I know the 3D glasses are now RF but I'm not sure what other improvements have been made in the 6020/5020 then in the 6030/5030 from the 6020/5020. I'm guessing by the time I buy the new firmware reported to make super resolution work better would be on it which would be helpful as I like the super resolution feature.

Thanks!
Shaq 02:45 PM 09-11-2014
already posted the link to the firmware here.. it seems the post has been removed...

you can find the firmware on the epson website. as I told you it improves the SR and has extended functions for the sharpness.
it's for the epson eh-tw7200, eh-tw9200 and eh-tw9200w
drhankz's Avatar drhankz 02:47 PM 09-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynswrld98 View Post
current epson 6010 owner, happy with it, but warranty coming to an end soon and i'm fearful owning an epson out of warranty due to problems people often report with them costing about as much to repair as replacing them.

Was waiting for cedia to see if epson announced a 6040/5040 but they aren't. So my question is for 6030/5030 owners who upgraded from a 6010/5010, can you give me an idea what i can expect in differences? I know the 3d glasses are now rf but i'm not sure what other improvements have been made in the 6020/5020 then in the 6030/5030 from the 6020/5020. I'm guessing by the time i buy the new firmware reported to make super resolution work better would be on it which would be helpful as i like the super resolution feature.

Thanks!
did you miss the cedia announcement??????????


PDF file is here
Attached: CEDIA_EPSOM.jpg (91.7 KB) 
WynsWrld98's Avatar WynsWrld98 02:54 PM 09-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
did you miss the cedia announcement??????????


PDF file is here
I know about the Epson laser projectors but in price range $6500-8000, not really aimed at those in the '5' and '6' series Epsons that are a lot less $$. I don't have $6500+ for a projector.
gec5741's Avatar gec5741 03:20 PM 09-11-2014
Was there anything in the 3000 price range? I haven't seen anything.
varkeast's Avatar varkeast 07:43 AM 09-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq View Post
already posted the link to the firmware here.. it seems the post has been removed...

you can find the firmware on the epson website. as I told you it improves the SR and has extended functions for the sharpness.
it's for the epson eh-tw7200, eh-tw9200 and eh-tw9200w
i found it on the epson eu site

it doesnt list it very well, but if you click the blue ">>Firmware" it will download a zip with the instructions and a .bin file

Anyone brave enough to try the tw9200 FW on a US 5030?
rprice54's Avatar rprice54 08:48 AM 09-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkeast View Post
i found it on the epson eu site

it doesnt list it very well, but if you click the blue ">>Firmware" it will download a zip with the instructions and a .bin file

Anyone brave enough to try the tw9200 FW on a US 5030?
That would be crazy. In sure the US version will be up soon. Is this a USB update? I see there's a service port on the back from looking at Google pics. Assuming that's USB? I'm on a phone, can't open the zip file. Trying to decide if I buy one now or wait and just get one with the new firmware in a month or so. Room is not ready.

I can't wait to hear if there's any real improvement.
Tags: Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
First ... 115  116  117 118  119  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop