post #3481 of 3490 Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuireV10 View Post
I'm by no means an expert but I wanted to comment on these three points.

First, ventilation is through the front only, both in and out. However, the top should be accessible to your hand to adjust lens shift, zoom, and focus. There are no vents anywhere but the front.

The lens shift on this is definitely great. I read that it automatically compensates for the minimal keystoning that is unavoidable with lens shift. I couldn't see it and I'm using about a third of the full range of vertical shift. There is also a chart I saw somewhere online (sorry, can't find it) that shows lumen loss at maximum shift. I want to say it was something like 12% but that's off the top of my head and might be totally wrong. Search around, you can probably dig it up. Here again, I'm using about a third of the v-shift range and I'm amazed at how bright this thing is.

As for waiting, I think I read that Epson was one of the only companies to roll out a major update last year -- my guess is they'd sit back and ride this one out while everybody else plays catch-up.

On my last PJ, I kept waiting and waiting for The Next Big Thing -- there will always be a Next Big Thing. The 5030UB is pretty awesome -- buy it and enjoy it, I say.
In my opinion the change from 5020 to 5030 was a smaller change than what JVC did by adding a dynamic iris to the 49 and up models. Also Sony bringing out a new 4K model for nearly half the price of the VW1000 was pretty significant. I agree with you, that there is always going to be improvements and if waiting until you think is the perfect time to jump in, just means you will be waiting forever.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3490 Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Hello all. I have a few questions for you guys. I'm getting ready to order the Epson 5030 and will be projecting onto a 120" diagonal 16:9 Seymour retractable AT screen that will drop down in front of my speakers. I'm in the process of doing the layout in my living room. I'll be setting 12' away from the screen and the projector will be mounted 3-4' directly overhead. I originally had intentions of using a low profile ceiling mount (that would put it ~ 3' above my head). Now I'm thinking it might cool if I put it in the column directly above that (I've attached pics to show this). Although, there may be a couple of problems with this. First would be space above the top of projector for enough ventilation to stay cool. Front, back, and sides would be fine I think because the front of the column would be totally open (for the air intake and output on the front of projector) as well as the back of the column and I could make it as wide as needed for space on the sides. The only thing that would be pretty tight would be the top. Projector dimensions are: 18.3"W x 6.2"H (with feet) x 15.5"D and column dimensions are 8.5" H x 19"D. I don't think the column is load barring/supporting of the ceiling (2 story with loft above) but depending on how the bracing is set up I know I will not have that much height to work with unless I can make some space above the column. Also having a sturdy platform the projector to set on will take up some space.

If that all worked out and the projector would stay cool enough, the next possible problem would be enough vertical lens shift (without using keystone) to have the top of the 120" diagonal image 13" from the top of the ceiling. I read a 5030 review the other day saying that from the middle of the lens to the top of a 100" diagonal image could go down as far as 22.5". That's quite a bit of vertical lens shift so I think it would go down far enough for my 120". Do you guys know if PQ or lumens is effected when approaching maximum lens shift? The last possible problem would be some of the projected light hitting the tip of the fan blade if it was on (would be close I think).

The wife definitely likes the idea of the projector being mostly hidden with a cleaner look. I think it would be cool as well. I'm really into 3D so I'm sure I'll be watching a lot with the Dynamic 3D mode (for the brightest possible image) with the fan at its noisiest/fastest. So putting the projector in the column would put it about a foot higher above my head than with a ceiling mount to the bottom of the column. That and the somewhat enclosed projector would probably cut down a little bit on the high speed fan noise. Do you guys think this is a good idea and would work or should I just stick with the original plan and use the ceiling mount to mount to bottom side of the column?

One other question ...sorry for the long winded post. I'm ready to purchase this projector soon but keep trying to talk myself into waiting to see if Epson comes out with a 5040 soon after CEDIA. My screen wont be here for 3-4 weeks anyway. I'm pretty much maxed out on my budget but may be able to swing a few hundred more dollars if its around $2700 ish. Do you guys think it would be worth waiting to see? If so what do you think the earliest to purchase would be (I'm thinking maybe end of October possibly)? I'm so excited I don't know if I can wait that long

Thanks,
Shelby
Usually soffits are not framed up for the heck of it. It means something is in there. Either a beam, duct work or piping.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3483 of 3490 Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! I'll get a chance to see in there soon but I'm thinking its gonna be a no go and have pretty much decided to use a projector mount.
post #3484 of 3490 Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moved to 5020 thread... i had the wrong model...

My 5030 projector has been working just fine since I have had it. That's said just recently when the projector starts up I will see some of the picture and a bunch of clicking sounds. The sounds are in rapid succession for like a second. I check and I have auto iris turned off at the moment. Any thoughts? Device isn't even a year old. If it is a warranty claim do they send you a new or used device? I only have 393 lamp hours.

Theater Build thread here

Last edited by dbldown768; Today at 08:42 AM.
post #3485 of 3490 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just bought and installed the w1070 over the weekend with an elite spectrum 110" 1.1 electric screen. Everything looks great but I am just not getting enough black. It doesn't help that the first movie I watched was Pandorum where they are on a spaceship where the power is out the whole movie. The screen pretty much had an electronic glow to it the whole movie in all the dark scenes.

I'm willing to step up to the 5030 but I want to check if my room is going to throw it all off. The windows are blacked out so I have no ambient light when the lights are off. I painted the side walls a dark grey. I pained above the projector 5 feet back as well. My carpet is a light off white however and I have light colored room treatments a big tan painting on one of the walls. I plan to get a big dark area rug in front of the screen to scale that back some. I don't want to paint the entire ceiling because it's a family hang out room as well. Do you think it's worth it in my situation to upgrade for better blacks? This is for 100% movie duty BTW.

Here is a quick pic. Sorry for the mess I just put everything up yesterday and am still putting everything back together.

http://i.imgur.com/Y4budJ0.jpg
post #3486 of 3490 Old Today, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Has anyone try projecting a 120" 16:9 screen with a 24'throw distance? Is it bright enough?
Currently, my projector is projecting at 13' at Cinema (eco/low lamp mode). As it is very close, the contrast is compromised and black level suffered. The next possible location to place my projector on the rear wall with 24' throw. But I worry it will be too dim, even on normal lamp mode.

Is the projectorcentral calculator based on best mode / max brightness (dynamic) / cinema eco / cinema normal lamp?
(the calculated fL could be misleading without these details)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (74.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Skylinestar; Today at 03:01 AM.
post #3487 of 3490 Old Today, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ The difference in brightness between the ends of the zoom range is often measured by the review sites. It's not the same amount for all projectors, but it's always brighter at the short throw end (projector as close as possible to the screen for a given image size).

What's harder to quantify are the other effects. Depth of field is reduced with short throw which makes it harder to achieve perfect focus (and can make it impossible to get perfect focus over the entire screen if things aren't perfectly aligned). Image contrast is also reduced with a shorter throw, and any aberrations caused by imperfect optics will be more noticable (but there won't necessarily be a big difference).

If you absolutely need the max brightness then go for the closest mounting position, otherwise you might want to mount it a bit further back. I can't really quantify it.
If I want the best black level & contrast, is it on the longest/furthest throw?
I've also read that at longer throw, image will be sharper.

Last edited by Skylinestar; Today at 02:59 AM.
post #3488 of 3490 Old Today, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still looking for an answer to this and why I should stick with Epson when I am being deliberately ripped off?

Best prices in US and UK for the 9200/5030 are £2698.80 and $2599

So in the UK the same item costs £1134 or $1886 MORE!!

Surely this cannot be right and I am comparing the wrong models.
post #3489 of 3490 Old Today, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
These are great quetions. I thought one does not want to be at either end of the lens limits. In the middle is best I would think. About 16ft from screen.
post #3490 of 3490 Old Today, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I would probably avoid the shortest throw, but beyond the middle of the zoom you probably get diminishing returns. For most people the brightness you lose at the long end offsets any theoretical improvement in other areas.

If possible move the PJ around and compare the different distances for yourself before committing to a permanent mounting position.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page