Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post
That would be crazy. In sure the US version will be up soon. Is this a USB update? I see there's a service port on the back from looking at Google pics. Assuming that's USB? I'm on a phone, can't open the zip file. Trying to decide if I buy one now or wait and just get one with the new firmware in a month or so. Room is not ready.

I can't wait to hear if there's any real improvement.
Yeah there's a USB on the back.

I wouldn't start the warranty clock ticking until you can actually use it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
That would be crazy. In sure the US version will be up soon. Is this a USB update? I see there's a service port on the back from looking at Google pics. Assuming that's USB? I'm on a phone, can't open the zip file. Trying to decide if I buy one now or wait and just get one with the new firmware in a month or so. Room is not ready.

I can't wait to hear if there's any real improvement.
Yea, there is a usb port in the back, and from reading the instructions, you just plug the PJ into a pc, do some boot up tricks, it shows up as an external drive, you drop the .bin in the drive and its done
post #3513 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm in the same boat. Room not ready but will be in the next few months. Hoping I'll be able to just get one updated when the time comes. Not sure how to tell however. But yea can't wait to hear if it makes much of a difference or not.
post #3514 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Firmware update

I'm ready to buy a 5030UB now after reading all about the new laser model and not wanting to pay $7999 at this point. Looking forward to hearing when the firmware upgrade comes to the US support site and observations from users here on how good it is. Hurry up EPSON!!!!! I want to setup my home theater room already. Won't purchase though till I hear it definitely will be coming to US site for download.
post #3515 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Spare genuine bulb for 5030UB

Is it really important to get a genuine OEM bulb as a spare for the 5030UB and if so, where is the best place to get it? If genuine not needed, where best to go? I'll be looking to purchase a spare bulb the same time as buying the PJ itself to be fully prepared if the stock one dies on me plus not planning to get an upgrade for awhile since I"m assuming it will take more than 4 yrs until 4K or pseudo 4K PJs come down in price a lot.
post #3516 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald View Post
Is it really important to get a genuine OEM bulb as a spare for the 5030UB and if so, where is the best place to get it? If genuine not needed, where best to go? I'll be looking to purchase a spare bulb the same time as buying the PJ itself to be fully prepared if the stock one dies on me plus not planning to get an upgrade for awhile since I"m assuming it will take more than 4 yrs until 4K or pseudo 4K PJs come down in price a lot.
On my HC400 I experimented with non-Epson bulbs and they were uniformly terrible. Not merely "not as good" but very, very terrible -- often disappointing from the initial power-on and downhill from there. The prices Epson charges are completely outrageous but there is no question the real deal is better in every way.
post #3517 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Just bought a 5030UB

Would a Cinewhite Elite ezFrame screen do it justice ? My basement is light controller and I will paint the walls appropriately.
post #3518 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I hope so because I'll be going with something like this for my first screen. The basement will have broke my bank a few times over when all is said and done
post #3519 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
I hope so because I'll be going with something like this for my first screen. The basement will have broke my bank a few times over when all is said and done
It is The Way of Things.

I have a similar 150" Elite screen and it works great.
post #3520 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuireV10 View Post
On my HC400 I experimented with non-Epson bulbs and they were uniformly terrible. Not merely "not as good" but very, very terrible -- often disappointing from the initial power-on and downhill from there. The prices Epson charges are completely outrageous but there is no question the real deal is better in every way.
Actually, if you look at dollars per rated hour Epson bulbs are cheap compared to JVC, Sony, etc.

Stay away from fake bulbs. Just not worth it.
post #3521 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 03:41 PM

One last question which I hope someone can answer, sorry I am new the projector world. I am mounting my 5030UB to the ceiling, my friend mounted his projector relatively flush to the ceiling, using the:

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGS-.../ref=pd_ybh_12

Should the 5030UB be mounted flush with the ceiling pointing down to the screen or should the projector be mounted using a ceiling plates, which would mount to the ceiling, then the pipe threads into both the plate and the mount, making it more eye level with the screen, as a installer recommended.

My apologies for the basic question but any insight would be appreciated.
post #3522 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuireV10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy202022 View Post
One last question which I hope someone can answer, sorry I am new the projector world. I am mounting my 5030UB to the ceiling, my friend mounted his projector relatively flush to the ceiling, using the:

Should the 5030UB be mounted flush with the ceiling pointing down to the screen or should the projector be mounted using a ceiling plates, which would mount to the ceiling, then the pipe threads into both the plate and the mount, making it more eye level with the screen, as a installer recommended.

How high is ceiling? Unless it's crazy high, mount it flush. You've got lots of flexibility/lens shift.
post #3523 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Mine is level with the top edge of the screen, and nearly the maximum vertical offset is enough to compensate. The screen 150" which is is 73.5" tall and that's a throw distance of about 17.5 feet. I don't remember exactly but I think I used somewhere around 3/4 of the available vertical offset.

In theory there should be some keystoning with that much offset, but I believe I read the projector supposedly compensates. At that distance it just barely touches the frame of the screen, and if you pay close attention on a very bright adjustment screen you can tell there is the tiniest bit of keystoning -- I'm talking maybe 1cm difference from top-to-bottom ... not really noticeable with a real image on a screen that big.

Great vertical offset is one of several main reasons I keep coming back to Epson 3LCD.
post #3524 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
How high is ceiling? Unless it's crazy high, mount it flush. You've got lots of flexibility/lens shift.
9 feet ceiling. 15 feet away from 120'' scree.
post #3525 of 3879 Old 09-12-2014, 09:02 PM

Put it flush on the ceiling
post #3526 of 3879 Old 09-13-2014, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
According to what Ron Jones said' the Epson firmware update is like adding a Darbee in your chain. Cleans up the image ' I just added a Darbee to my 8350 and it is really worth it. Closeups of Faces is greatly improve. Overall Image depth is better. Just a overall better image. I want 3d and better blacks and the 5030 is pretty much my next Projector. Plus I allready have the darbee.
post #3527 of 3879 Old 09-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Listen to the installer.

mark
post #3528 of 3879 Old 09-13-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:

With a 9' ceiling it depends on how far from the ceiling the top of the screen is. Mounting a projector too high can reach the limits of the vertical offset and keystone adjustments. If you are level with the top of the screen, you should be fine. 9' ceilings allow for a 1' - 1.5' bar (with mounting plate) to bring the projector down slightly, but still above your head when walking around. Bringing the projector down too far can cause problems when playing games with the Kinect and Wii as you will be standing in the center of the room and quite possibly in front of the projector. I have 8' ceilings and will have a 106" screen mounted a few inches below the ceiling. The projector will be 13.5' - 14.5' from the screen.

I suggest testing the projector height on the screen and then making adjustments to see if you can get a square image projected. When it's all said and done, you image quality and warm fuzzy will be all that is important. You have plenty of room with a 9' ceiling to play with.

GOOD LUCK!

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #3529 of 3879 Old 09-13-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
With a 9' ceiling it depends on how far from the ceiling the top of the screen is. Mounting a projector too high can reach the limits of the vertical offset and keystone adjustments. If you are level with the top of the screen, you should be fine. 9' ceilings allow for a 1' - 1.5' bar (with mounting plate) to bring the projector down slightly, but still above your head when walking around. Bringing the projector down too far can cause problems when playing games with the Kinect and Wii as you will be standing in the center of the room and quite possibly in front of the projector. I have 8' ceilings and will have a 106" screen mounted a few inches below the ceiling. The projector will be 13.5' - 14.5' from the screen.

I suggest testing the projector height on the screen and then making adjustments to see if you can get a square image projected. When it's all said and done, you image quality and warm fuzzy will be all that is important. You have plenty of room with a 9' ceiling to play with.

GOOD LUCK!
Either projector central or projector people actually has a room calculator where it takes into account for the lens shift. You plug in size of screen and distance and it will show you where the screen can fit on the wall with the lens shift. The distance from the screen will affect your zoom which affects lens position.

Do not use keystone. If your projector is square and level to the screen you should have a rectangle unless you're at the absolute limit of the lens shift, you might get a little artifact. The keystone is digital and affects the PQ.

I had a 5030 mounted flush to an 8' ceiling. 12' from a 110 screen and I could put the image almost against the floor if I wanted to.

Even if you have to drop it a bit, don't put it where you're going to hit your head on it. That's unnecessary.
climber07 likes this.
post #3530 of 3879 Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 444
FYI on upcoming firmware:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/tech...po-2014-day-3/

"I also ask about the upcoming firmware update for the 4030, 5030 and 6030 series of projectors that is being demo’ed at CEDIA on a 6030UB projector. The new firmware will be provided first to Epson projector dealers then a little later put on the Epson support web site for download by user. It is said the updated is nearly fool-proof as it is highly unlikely to “brick” a projector that is being updated. The improvements to the projector’s image enhancement functions is substantial with this new firmware and all owners of these projectors should get the firmware installed once it is available."
rprice54 likes this.

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
post #3531 of 3879 Old 09-15-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anyone tried the firmware?
post #3532 of 3879 Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I will have a somewhat similar setup in that my ceiling is 8' 9" high, projector will be 10' from a 92" screen whose bottom will be 44" off the floor (nothing installed yet). I purchased the same projector mount, ceiling plate and downpipe already thinking it would need to be hung about a foot below the ceiling to be almost inline with the top of the screen. So with the closer distance between projector and screen should I mount it using the pipe or flush?
David
post #3533 of 3879 Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
I will have a somewhat similar setup in that my ceiling is 8' 9" high, projector will be 10' from a 92" screen whose bottom will be 44" off the floor (nothing installed yet). I purchased the same projector mount, ceiling plate and downpipe already thinking it would need to be hung about a foot below the ceiling to be almost inline with the top of the screen. So with the closer distance between projector and screen should I mount it using the pipe or flush?
David
I just bought the same mount (delivery tomorrow) and my 5030UB should be at the BB store on the 18th. I also picked up the monoprice 106" multi-format HD Gray screen from will-call yesterday.

My projector will be 14' - 15' from the screen mounted flush on the ceiling. The top of the screen will be a few inches below the 8' ceiling.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #3534 of 3879 Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The Australian site also has the new firmware (posted Sep16) for their TW8200 & TW9200.
post #3535 of 3879 Old 09-17-2014, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
The Australian site also has the new firmware (posted Sep16) for their TW8200 & TW9200.
yep read the 6030 owners thread, Did you try it?
post #3536 of 3879 Old 09-17-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1671 View Post
yep read the 6030 owners thread, Did you try it?
I have a TW8200. Haven't tried yet. But I will definitely try it since it's a free Darbee upgrade.
post #3537 of 3879 Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
I have a TW8200. Haven't tried yet. But I will definitely try it since it's a free Darbee upgrade.
While it not a "Darbee upgrade", in the demo at CEDIA it provided enhanced image details to a degree somewhat similar to what you might expect from using a Darbee processor. However, I doubt that Epson's approach mirrors what a Darbee processor is doing. It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison using the updated 5030UB enhancement processing vs. using Darbee processing.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3538 of 3879 Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
While it not a "Darbee upgrade", in the demo at CEDIA it provided enhanced image details to a degree somewhat similar to what you might expect from using a Darbee processor. However, I doubt that Epson's approach mirrors what a Darbee processor is doing. It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison using the updated 5030UB enhancement processing vs. using Darbee processing.
Hey guys...Any idea when this firmware will be available for US machines? I'm definitely curious. Thanks!
post #3539 of 3879 Old 09-17-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
David
Reading these posts makes me suspect that I'm in for some major issues with my 11' ceiling - I'll be using a 100" screen from 13.5'. Are there any mounts recommended for higher than normal ceilings?
post #3540 of 3879 Old 09-17-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq View Post
Epson has released a new firmware for the EH-TW9200 and its wireless version. It contains an improved version of the Super Resolution. From what I have heard now the Super Resolution works similar like Sony's Reality Creation and shows more details and sharpness.

Has anyone tested it yet?
Go ahead and install it. It is definitely an improvement as long as you do not turn it up too much. I would probably use a setting of 2, 3 at the highest. Also if you do not like it, you can select a setting of ")", turning it off.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page