Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Cinema is trying to reproduce the feeling in a real Cinema.

DARK.

I use Living Room and the WHITES are perfect. Just
put it in LOW POWER MODE to tune down the Brightness.
I second that...I had mine professionally calibrated and all I watch is hockey and movies. Hockey is calibrated in living room, Eco mode and it pops but I don't watch hockey in the Pitch dark like I do a movie. With hockey I have some lights on. For movies the calibration is in cinema mode, no lights on...it's perfect also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Cinema is trying to reproduce the feeling in a real Cinema.

DARK.

I use Living Room and the WHITES are perfect. Just
put it in LOW POWER MODE to tune down the Brightness.
Thanks Doc, I can't watch in Living Room mode, it is just too bright in a darkened room-guess I could try turning the room lights on dimmed, maybe that would help.
I guess once you have the color mode set, you have very limited control over what the settings can do.
I'll keep playing with it Doc.
post #3783 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Thanks Doc, I can't watch in Living Room mode, it is just too bright in a darkened room-guess I could try turning the room lights on dimmed, maybe that would help.
I guess once you have the color mode set, you have very limited control over what the settings can do.
I'll keep playing with it Doc.
Both asharma and I mentioned eco mode. You did not.
post #3784 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Today and tomorrow are the last two days for the Epson 5030 sale. Call us for details.

The firmware update is now on Epson's US site: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...ailenhancement
climber07 likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 10-17-2014 at 08:10 AM.
post #3785 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Both asharma and I mentioned eco mode. You did not.
Good point, will check that tonight.
Thanks again
post #3786 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
I've been waiting for this update but before I install I need opinions on the following...

I paid to have my projector professionally calibrated and the image looks like a million bucks now...big difference. If I download the new firmware, will I need to pay for another calibration or does the new firmware just play with sharpness and not colours or are the 2 (sharpness and colour) tightly related? Thanks
Did you have Geek Squad do the calibration? Been thinking about doing that but wondered if it was worth the $250. Only place here that does it is BB. Thanks.
post #3787 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
Did you have Geek Squad do the calibration? Been thinking about doing that but wondered if it was worth the $250. Only place here that does it is BB. Thanks.
Yes it was Geek Squad, well worth the $$...see if u can get a bit of a deal...now that I see the difference, I would not buy another projector without bundling in a calibration...
post #3788 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
For $250 you can get an i1 displaypro and do your own calibrations whenever you want with HCFR (free software). It does require learning about how calibrations are done and the ins and outs of HCFR.
post #3789 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 09:07 AM

Liked: 15
Just updated firmware. Took all of 5 minutes. Watching Godzilla tonight and will report back. Pumped!
post #3790 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
No luck so far on the firmware update. No problem copying the file into the EPSON_PJ folder, but the projector turns off as soon as the USB cable is disconnected (without applying the update file). Epson's install FAQ says to retry if the PJ powers off, but I've tried it 4 times so far. Everything works as advertised until that USB cable comes out - the PJ does 'eject' successfully before the USB disconnect, but still shuts down immediately when that cable connection is lost.

Not harming anything, just not completing the firmware update. I'll let it sit for an hour and try it again with a different computer before sending a note off to Epson. The firmware currently on the PJ is V100, which is the firmware version they show updating in their install PDF.

Edit: Update is successfully applied using a different computer/OS. Tried a total of six times with an Acer netbook running Windows 8.1 64 bit - shut down every time when the USB cable was unplugged. Switched to a Dell laptop running Windows 7 32 bit, and it worked perfectly the first time. As the file copy to the projector update folder is pretty straightforward, I can only assume it is something in either the hardware eject or the USB handshake using Windows 8 vs. Windows 7. It's definitely checking the power/signal on that cable, as the projector won't even go into update mode unless the USB cable is connected to a live USB port.

Last edited by WestCDA; 10-17-2014 at 09:45 AM.
post #3791 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Should I do the FW update even if I'm happy?

I mean, if it ain't broke, dont' fix it. Right?
post #3792 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Thumbs up

V111 update installed easily and in about 30 seconds.

My first impressions are as follows:

With an HD signal from my FiOS DVR I immediately noticed the sharper image enhancements with each incremental step of the Super Resolution slider.

It's almost as though the update "enables" super resolution where as before, I couldn't see hardly any change when moving the slider. Now it is much more pronounced. I'm set at "3" right now and will see what it looks like on DVD, XBox, and BD sources.
jayteez likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #3793 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
V111 update installed easily and in about 30 seconds.

My first impressions are as follows:

With an HD signal from my FiOS DVR I immediately noticed the sharper image enhancements with each incremental step of the Super Resolution slider.

It's almost as though the update "enables" super resolution where as before, I couldn't see hardly any change when moving the slider. Now it is much more pronounced. I'm set at "3" right now and will see what it looks like on DVD, XBox, and BD sources.
Ok, I also just did the update and I debated for a while whether to do it or not given my professionally calibrated picture already looked awesome...but you know curiosity killed the cat, so I did...agree the super res actually does something now...it have it set to 4 for image clarity, at 0 it looks out of focus to me...one thing I really need to know...did anyone else notice when you bring the main menu up, it is now much more greyer than black? I just wanted to double check as my movies still look good and black but the menu looks greyish, not deep black like it used to be. Just wanted to confirm the update didn't mess my black levels...can someone please comment...thanks folks...
post #3794 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

Edit: Update is successfully applied using a different computer/OS. Tried a total of six times with an Acer netbook running Windows 8.1 64 bit - shut down every time when the USB cable was unplugged. Switched to a Dell laptop running Windows 7 32 bit, and it worked perfectly the first time. As the file copy to the projector update folder is pretty straightforward, I can only assume it is something in either the hardware eject or the USB handshake using Windows 8 vs. Windows 7. It's definitely checking the power/signal on that cable, as the projector won't even go into update mode unless the USB cable is connected to a live USB port.
I used Windows 7 and it worked the 1st time.
post #3795 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Should I do the FW update even if I'm happy?

I mean, if it ain't broke, dont' fix it. Right?
In this case it's more of an upgrade (adding a new feature/capability) than a fix (correcting a problem). At least as far as we know - other than the detail enhancement feature, Epson isn't telling what else is in the update.

If you are happy with what you have, and don't see the described benefits as something you want to add, then you don't 'need' to do the update ...
post #3796 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I used Windows 7 and it worked the 1st time.
Good to hear. It could be a hardware issue as well I suppose - but a USB port should be the same on either system at a hardware level, and there was no problem with discovering or disconnecting the PJ 'drive', or copying the file. Anyone else have an issue (or success) applying this via a Windows 8.x computer?
post #3797 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Please clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuireV10 View Post
The excerpt from the install PDF posted yesterday describes Macs as well as Windows.

There is no OS-level support, it's just a file-copy. You connect your computer to the PJ with a USB cable and copy the file.

Good point about the installer package. However, I don't think anybody makes a mini-USB thumb drive -- you pretty much have to use a cable. But they're easy to find. The instructions posted earlier do mention a Mac, so my guess is it's either a direct download or something standard like a ZIP file.

It's a file copy. Even Apple can get that much right!
Mac,
I am pretty much computer illiterate-Are you saying that if it downloads on my macbook ( mavericks os) , then it should be good to go? I am new to macs and when I transferred some files from my old PC they showed up on the desktop, but when I went to open them,, I got a message that they could not b read. What I am assuming you are saying is that would be a moot point, if it downloads onto the mac, then it is the epson that is opening the file and it doesn't involve the OS.
Am I correct?
Thanks
post #3798 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 PM

Liked: 12
Epson dust blobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post
Thank you, I'm going to do the focus procedure and tell you back. It's funny because my projector is quite new and I have kept it out of any dust that I'm aware of. If it indeed a dust blob, does it have a fix?

Epson has an 'open' light path to imaging which seems to invite resident dust. Not terribly detrimental to picture quality, but will decrease
contrast ratios in very dark scenes or scene transitions. There are probably a lot more dust particles along with the 'big' ones.
Sanyo projectors have open paths too and provide a little hand bulb blower with their projectors. There are little holes in the case to blow into
the light path. Bravo Sanyo.
You can open the Epson case, remove the 'motherboard and some sub-assemblies and blow away in the blind. It is more or less impossible to use a little hand blower while watching the results in an operating mode. If you are not familiar with electronic disassembly chores, you can: 1. Complain to Epson, 2. 'Take a shot at it' and hope for the best; 3. Send it to Epson or, 4. Go to the Epson repair center.
Epson could seal the light path or make it easy for a consumer to clean it.
Don't use a propane powered duster-it may damage the path.
Don't forget to clean the dust filter regularly.

gil

Last edited by Gil Arroyo; 10-17-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: BAD SPELLER
post #3799 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@hmunster2 That's right doesn't matter that it's a Mac, you're just using the machine to move the file. I used OSX as well, no problem. Based on others feedback I think the key is making sure you right-click 'eject' or 'remove' the PJ drive from within your OS after the file has been moved. That's what triggered the install for me.

Otherwise the effect of the revised super-res is dramatic. I used Avatar Blu-Ray and set it to 2 and skin details pop, it almost looks higher red, more details are clearer. I used to just keep it off completely because I couldn't really tell a difference. Zero just looks blurry now.

I agree with the person who said 1.5 would be about right, but as it stands 2 isn't too too much. Going to leave it there and see how it goes.

Last edited by jarozi; 10-17-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #3800 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Mac,
I am pretty much computer illiterate-Are you saying that if it downloads on my macbook ( mavericks os) , then it should be good to go? I am new to macs and when I transferred some files from my old PC they showed up on the desktop, but when I went to open them,, I got a message that they could not b read. What I am assuming you are saying is that would be a moot point, if it downloads onto the mac, then it is the epson that is opening the file and it doesn't involve the OS.
Am I correct?
Thanks
I just connected the PJ to a Mac mini via USB. The projector boots into firmware update mode and the Mac locates and opens the EPSON_PJ folder with no problem. So yes, you should be able to drop the firmware file in there from the Mac and the projector will update from it - assuming it doesn't quit during the USB disconnect like I saw with my Windows 8 netbook. I would guess that it should work fine.

My Mac has Yosemite installed on it, but Mavericks shouldn't be any different.
post #3801 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some of the questions asked here are listed in the FAQ. In particular, it appears that changing Super Resolution is the ONLY thing this update does, and they specifically note color settings and the like will not be changed.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...&infoType=FAQs
climber07 likes this.
post #3802 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuireV10 View Post
Some of the questions asked here are listed in the FAQ. In particular, it appears that changing Super Resolution is the ONLY thing this update does, and they specifically note color settings and the like will not be changed.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...&infoType=FAQs
I agree that super resolution is the only feature they describe in this firmware, but I don't think that is the only content. My projector had firmware V100 and others have reported V102 on their projectors as shipped, so it's clear that they've already made at least some changes since the original FW was released. I wouldn't be surprised that other running changes have been made prior to this V111 release.
post #3803 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
True, probably overboard with the emphasis on "ONLY"...
post #3804 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just connected the PJ to a Mac mini via USB. The projector boots into firmware update mode and the Mac locates and opens the EPSON_PJ folder with no problem. So yes, you should be able to drop the firmware file in there from the Mac and the projector will update from it - assuming it doesn't quit during the USB disconnect like I saw with my Windows 8 netbook. I would guess that it should work fine.

My Mac has Yosemite installed on it, but Mavericks shouldn't be any different.
Thanks to West and Jarozi, will try it tomorrow.
post #3805 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree that super resolution is the only feature they describe in this firmware, but I don't think that is the only content. My projector had firmware V100 and others have reported V102 on their projectors as shipped, so it's clear that they've already made at least some changes since the original FW was released. I wouldn't be surprised that other running changes have been made prior to this V111 release.
True. My PJ had V102 when it arrived. They have to included the older updates since the last.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #3806 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Update went easy for me too. From v102 to v111.
American/Canadian instructions were much improved from the UK version.
post #3807 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
any dramatic differences is picture with the new firmware update? im expecting my 5030 to be here today..unfortunately I will be leaving for work shortly, so I wont have time to mess around with it until tomorrow.
post #3808 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
....annnnnd of course UPS shows up 10 minutes before I leave for work..
post #3809 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteez View Post
....annnnnd of course UPS shows up 10 minutes before I leave for work..
Better than 10 minutes after and taking your package with him for tomorrow...

post #3810 of 4220 Old 10-17-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteez View Post
any dramatic differences is picture with the new firmware update? im expecting my 5030 to be here today..unfortunately I will be leaving for work shortly, so I wont have time to mess around with it until tomorrow.
It is quite a difference. Every step in the slider for super resolution is a noticeable difference.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page