post #361 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Jeez, looks like one of those blue laser pointers.

Yeah, the pictures do make it look that way don't they. Luckily it's not that bad. I used a long exposer (2.5 s) to try to capture both the stuck pixels and the surrounding black pixels to give a sense of scale. This resulted in the dot being overexposed and "bleeding" into the surrounding area. In reality it is just two pixels one directly on top of the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooze View Post

Yeah, the pictures do make it look that way don't they. Luckily it's not that bad. I used a long exposer (2.5 s) to try to capture both the stuck pixels and the surrounding black pixels to give a sense of scale. This resulted in the dot being overexposed and "bleeding" into the surrounding area. In reality it is just two pixels one directly on top of the other.

Two dead pixels on a brand new projector that cost thousands of dollars being described as "not that bad". eek.gif I do hope they have a zero dead pixel guarantee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 AM

Liked: 24
I intend to purchase this projector and need some advice on screen size.

I will need to purchase a tab-tensioned electric screen since this is going into the living room.

I am siting 4 meters (13 feet)away from the projection wall.

I am deliberating between a 120 inch and a 133 inch screen. Does anyone has similar setup and can share his experiences? I like a big picture but I worry 133 inch might become too much for me to handle and would actually become uncomfortable viewing. For 2.35:1 content I think 133" will be ideal but for 16:9 content it might be an overkill.

Also, my projector will be sitting 6 meters (about 19 feet) from the wall, on top of a closet behind me and a bit to the right, I tried calculating using epson's 5020 tool and it seems to be alright, close to the limit of the 120 screen and more comftable angle for a 133 inch screen. Do you believe that in terms of light output this setup would be alright for 2d and 3d? most content will be in a dark room, occasionally for sports and the likes there will be some lights on.

Any input on screen gain? I was thinking about a standard matt white 1.0 or 1.1 gain screen.

Thanks.
post #364 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

I will need to purchase a tab-tensioned electric screen since this is going into the living room.

I am deliberating between a 120 inch and a 133 inch screen. Does anyone has similar setup and can share his experiences? I like a big picture but I worry 133 inch might become too much for me to handle and would actually become uncomfortable viewing. For 2.35:1 content I think 133" will be ideal but for 16:9 content it might be an overkill.

Also, my projector will be sitting 6 meters (about 19 feet) from the wall, on top of a closet behind me and a bit to the right, I tried calculating using epson's 5020 tool and it seems to be alright, close to the limit of the 120 screen and more comftable angle for a 133 inch screen. Do you believe that in terms of light output this setup would be alright for 2d and 3d? most content will be in a dark room, occasionally for sports and the likes there will be some lights on.

Any input on screen gain? I was thinking about a standard matt white 1.0 or 1.1 gain screen.

Thanks.

From a four meter viewing distance thx recommends around a 120" screen. Whether that suites you is another matter, some like going a little bigger some a little smaller (and some a lot bigger). Personally I would go a little bigger then what thx would recommend, but that is just me.

I can't imagine brightness will be an issue for 2d though at a guess I would say a higher gain screen may be needed once you go above 130" for bright 3d images (especially as the bulb dims). Hopefully someone like zombie will be able to provide you with some more help on such matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Three choices:

1. Sell the complete mount that you have and buy a Chief RPA168.
2. Buy the SLB168 plate to go on your mount.
3. Sell your mount and buy the Chief RPAU.

Not a big fan of the 3rd choice. The RPAU does not gold the projector in place as well as the custom 168 mount. If you would like projector and mount pricing, give us a call.

Thanks for the quick and detailed response Mike! I will probably be giving you a call in a few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

This Peerless mount is the best I have ever seen. It has micro-precision adjusters so you can dial in tiny movements of the PJ, making setting up very easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGUNV-Precision-Universal-Projector/dp/B000TXNS6G

Thats a good option, considering the quick search i did for the SLB168 appears that just the metal bracket to attach the PJ to the mount is over $100... that seems pretty ludicrous for a basic piece of metal w/ some screw holes, specially when a whole mount can be purchased for less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I have $5 that says if you're even a reasonably hardcore gamer the Epson is NOT the projector for you. I'll paypal zombie $5 if I'm wrong. I'm guessing >60ms input lag. Maybe even as high as 80ms.

I am just hoping for somewhere near 50ms or better
post #366 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just got off the phone with Epson. They will be sending me a new projector overnight. The rep was courteous and efficient in processing the swap. So far I couldn't ask for better customer service.
post #367 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Two dead pixels on a brand new projector that cost thousands of dollars being described as "not that bad". eek.gif I do hope they have a zero dead pixel guarantee.

Hi FilmReverie,

I think I may have worded my post poorly. What I wanted to convey is that the photographs make it look worse than it actually is. I agree it should not have any dead pixels.
post #368 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 18
Question:

Can you only use the Picture and Picture mode with wireless hd?

On the 5020 I read you can't use both HDMI ports and have picture and picture.

Can you hook up one HDMI and another component?

Just learning..
post #369 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Can anyone post a picture showing the bottom of the projector (or top, if you have it upside down for ceiling mounting)?

I'm trying to figure out if I can use my current projector mount, a Vogels EPC 4010. It has 4 positionable arms and seems like it ought to work fine but I wanted to check.
post #370 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

Oooo Nooooo so if i use my dune hd base 3d to stream my 3d movies the frame interpolation wont work:eek:??

If so ......this is a no go for me.....frown.gif

I hope this is not true??

Please let me know ........
post #371 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Is it sbs or full stream? It works fine with full stream using my mede8tor 1000.

I havent tested sbs, I prefer either full 3D BD or I'd sooner watch in 2D. Its too soft on my size screen.

post #372 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM

The 5030UB is now also in stock at B&H.

post #373 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooze View Post

Hi FilmReverie,

I think I may have worded my post poorly. What I wanted to convey is that the photographs make it look worse than it actually is. I agree it should not have any dead pixels.

It is all good, I hope you can get if replaced/fixed in quickly. smile.gif

post #374 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 15
How does the Epson 5030ub compare to the PT-AE8000U?
post #375 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Just tried out the 2D to 3D conversion and it's not the best implementation I've seen, but also not the worst. I never tried it on my 5020 so not sure whether it's an improvement or not. Probably not something I would ever use though.

The frame interpolation makes such a huge difference for me in 3D. Because of how smooth the motion is and also making it easier on the eyes, I feel like it does add to the sense of depth somewhat. The brightness is outstanding just like the 5020 was but not much of a difference, if at all. I feel like the crosstalk and ghosting is non existent on this model, which allows me to keep the glasses brightness setting on high without any negative side effects. Again, best 3D I've seen in a home theater yet.
I have the 5020 prob a silly question , but i dont recall any adjustments for the glasses. Could you post a link please?
post #376 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg View Post

I have the 5020 prob a silly question , but i dont recall any adjustments for the glasses. Could you post a link please?

Lol. No prob. Just do this. Press Menu on the remote, go to the Signal Tab. Choose 3D setup and then and then within the 3D menu is an option call 3D Brightness. Give it a shot.
mumbleypeg likes this.

post #377 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandaniella View Post

I currently own the 5030 and previously owned a PT-8000 for about a month and I love the Epson. The Panasonic was no slouch but the 3D experience and black levels are much better on the Epson. Gaming seemed to be a little faster on the Panasonic but that was about the only thing I preferred more on the Panasonic. Everything about the Epson is as good or better than the Panasonic IMO.

post #378 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandaniella View Post

I demo'd the PT-AE8000U but ended up buying a 5030UB based on the preliminary reviews from CEDIA. Whilst the Panny is a great piece of kit, the Epson 3D implementation/performance appears substantially better to my eyes. I earlier reported an issue with white field uniformity, however after using the projector for a number of hours 100% IRE is now much more consistent, go figure! I guess it was just a case of running in the new lamp a little. I watched The Hobbit in 3D last night and was absolutely blown away by the image quality, the bundled glasses also provided a better image than the Panny ones that came with my TV presumably due to the brightness of the image and the shutters being a little darker. The only trade off is that in 3D mode the Epson is a lot noisier (32db) than the Panny which remains virtually silent...

post #379 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 05:46 PM

Greetings all! Excited to soon be upgrading. Have the 8500ub and my 5030ub pre-ordered. Expecting to be wowed!!

I have a couple of questions.

1. I ordered one extra pair of Epson brand glasses, but need a few more. Are there any glasses besides the stock Epson that would work or even be better?

2. Along those lines: I already received said extra pair of glasses (cruel since without my 3D projector, I have to wear them around the house and just look at the boring 3d world of reality and not my beautiful artificial Hollywood-created one!). So when I opened them up, I realized that one can’t simply charge them with what is supplied. You have to have an adapter to plug the charging (USB) cable into. Should I assume that the projector comes with that? Can you plug in multiple glasses at once with said assumed included adaptor? Could I use one of the thousands of Apple charging adapters that I have lying around?

3. So I had my 8500ub ceiling mounted and it was pretty high up, about 6” above the top of the screen. Lens-shift took care of getting the picture onto the 106” fixed screen without any keystone correction. My ceiling mount came with various lengths so I could lower the projector. Would there be a noticeable improvement in picture quality if I then was able to use less lens shift? Would that difference be worth the possible increase in audible noise perception since the projector is right above my seat on the couch?

Thanks in advance for any info.
post #380 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Greetings, some good news. Naturally everyone's waiting for the first formal reviews and for the first end users to comment on their new 5030UB / TW9200 projectors. While I don't really believe it until a review projector arrives, latest word from Epson is it looks like something's going to be arriving here at projectorreviews.com end of this week or early next.

I honestly don't know if it will be the 5030UB, or a 4030, or one of the three high bright projectors - that are targeting family rooms and living rooms not home theaters, but, from "best guesses", I put the chances of the first Epson to arrive being the 5030UB.

I'm waiting patiently. I also have a calibrated 5020UB here (with 1100 hours on the lamp), for direct comparison, when the 5030UB arrives. As soon as the Epson arrives, Mike will calibrate it as well. Whatever arrives, that review should publish by next weekend. With a little luck it will be the 5030UB. I'll probably get to hang on to the Epson for a few weeks, so I hope that it will still be here when the Sony HW55 arrives. -art

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
post #381 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Art- thanks for the reply. I've been waiting for you to review this bad boy- although when I found out they were back ordered for a few weeks I went ahead and grabbed a spot in line.

Re:charging glasses- I used an iPhone wall charger to charge my first pair (I too have glasses and no projector). After reading around I ordered a powered USB hub since I will have 6 pairs of glasses eventually.

post #382 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Alad, I've read the Samsung 5100 glasses worked great with the 5020 so the same should apply.
post #383 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBuf View Post

Hi, I am completely new to the world of projectors and screen displays. I got my new 5030 UB last week and was able to mount it on the ceiling in my basement over the weekend. I watched Iron Man3 (2D) yesterday and was impressed with the performance. I am just wondering if my projector is located at the right spot on the ceiling. It currently stays at 21' from a 110" diagonal Elite Sable Fixed frame screen. Is the projector too far away from the screen? It was my mistake to have installed the ceiling mount at a predetermined location before the projector arrived.

Also, are there any tests that I should perform to make sure the 5030UB unit is fine? I am just nervous that I have a relatively new model that has just become available in the market. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Everyone, would somebody be able to help with my questions, especially the distance between the projector and the screen being 21' ?

post #384 of 3562 Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM

I have this projector, and LOVE it. It's in my living room, shooting at a cheap 80" electric (white) screen. The screen is not tensioned, so it curls on both sides. I'm thinking of replacing the screen material with some "Carl's Pro Gray". It's supposed to be more rigid and help offset any ambient light. Anybody have any input on this?
post #385 of 3562 Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Once I can verify there's no issues, I'll have it calibrated by Chad B smile.gif

Generally IIRC from what I've read it's best to wait until you have about 100 hours on the bulb before calibrating. That's because new projector bulbs are often super bright for the break in period, then stabilize and slowly dim over time. Basically if you calibrate right away you may need to re-calibrate 100 hours later.
post #386 of 3562 Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 AM

Hey TechBuf! Some other people might be able to give you a better explained answer to your question but I will TRY to answer it for you. From my understanding it is best to have your zoom knob somewhere around the middle or close to it, And have the projector as far back as necessary to get you to project the screen of your size without zooming all the way in. This is just an estimation on my part. So id recommend asking someone with better knowledge if you want completely accurate settings. But im estimating somewhere between 12 feet to 17 feet.  21 feet is a bit too much I THINK for a 110 inch screen. No point going too far back from my knowledge, unlessyou plan on going bigger then 110 inches as you will lose light. And if you have light coming in your screen will get washed out. But id say around 14 feet would probably be ideal. (Im estimating) I just noticed your post and thought id TRY to answer it for you. Everyone will have different opinions I think. But try asking some of the professional people on here. They will be able to help you a bit more accurately. Im not a pro installer or anything. Im just going by my experience that I had with the 5020. I hope this helps a bit

Try using this link. Itll give you a bit of an idea. Its not accurate but itll give you an estimation of where to place the projector for your desired screen size.

http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/

post #387 of 3562 Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 AM

Liked: 12
Hi,

I am from Europe and we have not had our versions of the new Epsons out yet. They will start to ship late october/Early November.
The equivalent to the US 5030UB is the EH-TW9200 as far as I can tell. Both versions appear identical in hardware. Some differences i sofware, e.g missing THX modes.

There are three improvements of interest that has been mentioned on both of these versions and these are:

1) Better 3D with FI. This has been confirmed here.

2) Better/newer lens. There should now be Fujinon lens on the new version. Has anyone seen any difference according to this. Is the lens really updated or is it the same as last years? Has the image become crisper, less CA etc?

3) Better contrast. Is this due to better LCD panels, i.e actual native contrast improvements? Or is it just the iris darkening further than last year?
post #388 of 3562 Old 10-16-2013, 02:33 AM

Cine4Home writes that the contrast is indeed improved before adaptive Iris-Usage.
http://www.cine4home.de/
post #389 of 3562 Old 10-16-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

Thanks.
I have my 5020 14' back projecting a 130" image on a 180" screen. I use custom adjustable black felt masking all around. I sit 15' back from the screen. On flat white lettering I can sometimes see the pixels, but otherwise the image looks great!
post #390 of 3562 Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Knd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Morgan View Post

Generally IIRC from what I've read it's best to wait until you have about 100 hours on the bulb before calibrating. That's because new projector bulbs are often super bright for the break in period, then stabilize and slowly dim over time. Basically if you calibrate right away you may need to re-calibrate 100 hours later.

I own a 5010 and calibrate it using Stereomandan's guide here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1134710/epson-calibration-guide-1080-1080ub-6100-6500ub-7500ub

I did a calibration at 0 hours, 100, 200, 300 and 500 hours, and what I found was that up until 300 hours it held very steady, but the 500 hour cal had significant changes, primarily in the black level, white level, gray scale and gamma. Colors moved a little but nothing like the others.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page