Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 3894 Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't understand too much of all this. I'm an old guy who has a few bucks fortunately, and spends on gear that I hear are pretty good. But I would really like to find out what to do to get the best out of what I have and the last few posts have sparked my curiosity. I have an Epson 6030 shooting on a 106" Carada BW screen. I think everyone will agree - so far, so good.

I have a DishTV 722 DVR receiver connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V777BT A/V receiver. I also have a local cable box connected to the Yamaha via HDMI and my third HDMI connection to the Yamaha is an OPPO BDP-103 DVD player, which is connected to the Yamaha only for sound. The OPPO video goes via HDMI straight to my 6030's HDMI 2 input because the OPPO manual recommended that so the video processing would be done by OPPO without anything (is it called interlacing or something like that?) from the Yamaha. Again, so far so good as all this equipment is considered pretty darn good stuff.

The Dish and Cable boxes' HDMI connections go from the Yamaha out to a Darbee, which in turn sends all the signals to the Epson 6030's HDMI 1 input.

So, I am wondering - does the Yamaha 777 do any processing from the Dish and Cable boxes? I mean, does it "upgrade" the picture somehow. Or, does the Epson do it once the signal reaches the projector itself? Does the Epson do anything to the signal sent directly to it from the OPPO? How do I know what piece of equipment is doing what?

I mean, if the signal is the best possible it can be from lets say the OPPO, it would be foolish for me to let the Epson do something to try to improve it. I assume it could only degrade what is being sent to it IF the OPPO (or Yamaha) has a better processor than the Epson. Does anyone follow me on this and have any tips?

shortspark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did the Firmware update a couple night ago and today turned on the projector on a dark screen and saw This (see Pic). Could this be a dust blob or perhaps something else?
post #3873 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Deciding between uk 9200 and Sony 40ES. Whereas these are similarly priced else where, in the UK the Epson is £1000 more and £1300 more for wireless.
Thing is I need wireless this time plus want the RF glasses as I already have some.
Sony just announced a wireless kit plus RF adapter and even with these added as extras the Sony still comes in as £1000 ($1600) less than the wireless Epson.
So now seems a no brainer. Sorry Epson but you really take the pi55 with UK pricing

Just checked and the sony 55ES is the SAME price as the 9200w with the wireless/RF kit????

Last edited by pacemaker; Yesterday at 01:54 AM.
post #3874 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Looking at the extended warranty, which i assume is the same as the standard 2 year that comes with the purchase. It says you can only do an exchange 3 times during the warranty life. Now is that per 3 for the first 2 years and then 3 if you buy an extra 2 years ( at over $500 WOW)

What happens if you have defects or it brakes more than 3 times over the warranty life, do you just have to suck it up and repair it your self or I mean pay to get it repaird. I have not heard of a warranty where there is a limit on how often it can be repaired or replace during the time of the active warranty,
I believe that it is three total.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3875 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by los seres View Post
Did the Firmware update a couple night ago and today turned on the projector on a dark screen and saw This (see Pic). Could this be a dust blob or perhaps something else?
Looks like a dust blob buddy.
post #3876 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
I have no issues when watching sports by using a more aggressive FI and I use native on the Direct TV and let my Oppo handle the video processing.
Do you get delays when switching channels?
Reason I ask is that I did until I turned off native setting for Directv. Now it's very fast when changing channels.

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
post #3877 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post
Do you get delays when switching channels?
Reason I ask is that I did until I turned off native setting for Directv. Now it's very fast when changing channels.
When you turn off the Native it makes the box only out put one resolution. So when you change changes the box doesn't have to change the resolution to match whats playing on the channel. So it speeds up channel changing. I do the same with my cable box. Helps a bit.

post #3878 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes its slower changing channels, but I prefer to let smarter devices modifying the native video signal, rather than having the DTV receiver do it, so its worth a small delay to me.
post #3879 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post
Looks like a dust blob buddy.
That's What I figured thanks. It's still under warranty so I guess I'll contact the manufacturer.
post #3880 of 3894 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

My Optoma HD25e next to the Epson.

New mount in..

Got it pretty much perfect through the drop ceiling.

And all mounted up.. Ignore the missing tiles I have a box on order..

So I have only got to play with it for about an hour. But so far I'm really happy with the upgrade. I believe I have one dead blue pixel but the only time I see it is when the screen goes black to change resolutions. I haven't seen it while watching anything. It's not as sharp as the Optoma but I knew that was going to be the case with it being 3 lcd. It's not a huge difference but it's there. Only really see it when i'm in the XBMC interface or on the web or something. The panel alignment was pretty good on my projector It's only out for about a 10x10 inch section in the bottom right corner of the screen. So it's not a big deal It barely makes it past the black bars on 2.35:1 content. Only noticed it because the clock on the desktop of my HTPC was blurry. Adjusted the panels and it's pretty good now though still off a little. Have only done a quick contrast and brightness calibration on it. But the picture looks great in THX mode. Skin tones seam to be a little bit off but not to much. What do you all have the SKIN tone setting on? Black level is where this thing really kills my Optoma . I can see so much more detail in dark scenes then I could before. They looked really murky looking and washed out on my Optoma. Now it has a lot more POP to the picture and more dimension then it did with the Optoma. I can't wait to watch some dark movies on it to really take it in. I haven't played any games on it so I can't comment on the input lag as of yet. When I get some more time I'll fire up the xbox one and run a few games through it. I really didn't think I would be as big of an upgrade from the Optoma as this. I'm very please with this projector so far. I am going to invest in a calibration for it. As I think this would really benefit from it. Oh and the noise from it isn't near as bad as from the Optoma. I could hear the fan kicking up and down with the lamp dimming , also hear the color wheel in it. Where I just hear the auto irs on the Epson do the little rumble but it's not bad and only noticed it because the sound was all the way off. A lot less annoying to me then the Optoma sounds. Now I kicked the lamp to high and the fan ramped up and that sucker is loud , the epson that is. I"ll update this as I have had a few days with it to watch a few things on it. Also mess with the settings a bit more.

post #3881 of 3894 Old Today, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Projector Reviews (link below) has published an article on updating a 5030UB with the new firmware and the resulting image improvements.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/arti...0ube-and-4030/
urbeenjammin and NickTheGreat like this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3882 of 3894 Old Today, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Projector Reviews (link below) has published an article on updating a 5030UB with the new firmware and the resulting image improvements.

3 Cheers To Epson and Ron for the GREAT LINK
Attached Images

post #3883 of 3894 Old Today, 07:36 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have an win8.1 HTPC hooked to their 5030/9200/etc with the new v111 FW?

My win8.1 was working perfectly on v100 until i upgraded, now the PC detects the projector as being attached, but i cant get it to display an image. I can see the BIOS and windows startup logo fine, but as soon as windows is booted I get "no signal" on the projector. Makes me wonder if there was some sort of HDCP change or anything.

I have tried deleting/reinstalling the graphics drivers, even reinstalled windows to no avail... Attaching a different monitor to the PC works fine. I have tried different cables, changing power on order, swapping ports on the projector, directly attaching the projector, running it through an AVR first, using a different video card, moving the video card to a different pcie slot, changing the output resolution to 720p/1080p/etc...
post #3884 of 3894 Old Today, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just upgraded and wow it makes a big difference in detail. I had a Darbee about six months ago and sold it to help finance a new receiver. It worked great but to me just wasn't worth the money vs. other equipment.

I can't do a side by side, but from memory this upgrade is -very- similar in the effect it produces. I'm sure the Darb processing is quantum leaps above this, but my viewing end result = comparable satisfaction, and for free can't be beat.

Do it now.

Last edited by avjohn; Today at 08:44 AM.
post #3885 of 3894 Old Today, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
How do you get your computer to the projector?

shortspark
post #3886 of 3894 Old Today, 08:58 AM

If you don't want to take your projector down you could always run a active usb extension cable .. Give you about 16 foot extra plus the length of the usb cable to plugs into the projector, so maybe 20-25 foot. If not all you have to do it take it down. plug it into the computer and power and drop the file in. Let it up date and stick it back up.

post #3887 of 3894 Old Today, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Thanks for finding and posting that. Think i'll do the FW after all
post #3888 of 3894 Old Today, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just downloaded the file from the Epson site.

It doesn't have a ".bin" after the name and if I try to open it I get a message saying it can't be opened unless I associate a program name to it.

The name of the file is EPSONPJ_t3111 with no extension at the end.

Is this the file I want to just drag and drop on to the 5030 after I plug it in to the USB port?

I've read some comments about it being a zipped file and when that gets thrown into the mix it confuses me.

I don't have an unzipper program on my PC.

Just want to make sure and not end up with a white brick.

TIA.
post #3889 of 3894 Old Today, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight planner View Post
It doesn't have a ".bin" after the name and if I try to open it I get a message saying it can't be opened unless I associate a program name to it.
The European firmware release was a zip file with the bin and instructions in a pdf inside the zip. The us release download is just the bin file (not zipped). Make sure your OS is showing file extensions. If you are on Windows, Microsoft likes to "help" you by hiding all kinds of things including file extensions. Would not want anyone to see all the info about a file, that might confuse them Thanks MS.
post #3890 of 3894 Old Today, 10:07 AM

Thanks Usual.

I unhid the file extensions and my downloaded file does have the .bin.

Is that now the file I want to just drop on the PJ?
post #3891 of 3894 Old Today, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Thanks Usual.

Yes. I suggest that you have a copy of the instructions (available on the site) to follow as you do the update.
post #3892 of 3894 Old Today, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks Usual.

Yep, file should be: EPSONPJ_t3111.bin - just make sure you follow the instructions exactly. It is not difficult or time-consuming, but there are quite a few steps, don't skip any steps and follow the instructions exactly.
post #3893 of 3894 Old Today, 10:24 AM

Many thanks Usual and Climber.

I understand all the other steps well but binary file stuff is something I don't need to muddy up the situation.

Jim
post #3894 of 3894 Old Today, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After you download the file.Your computer should give you the option of locating the download.Once your computer locates it for you,simply highlight the file,press control C (copy).Click on the EPSON_PJ folder. You will see that there are no files in the folder.After copying the download from earlier,then move your mouse inside the Epson folder,simply press control V (paste).Unplug the cable from your PC and then from the projector.Has there been many discussions about the frame interpolation related to the firmware update?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com