post #3901 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
The projector is installed on the ceiling and I hate to take it down. I will wait for a few more reports of the upgrade with Darbee to see if it makes a big difference. I have a Darbee and it probably does as well or better than the firmware at sharper resolution. When the Darbee hits the dust I won't get another if the firmware does essentially the same thing as does Darbee.
Good idea. Whilst the upgrade has shown some visible improvements, I am sure Darbee must be better. Only, watch out if you delay too much, the upgrade link may be taken off by Epson!! So, if you get a chance or if you get access to a laptop get the upgrade done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I did the upgrade last night and I noticed a big difference. I watched Prometheus and really enjoyed the added clarity. And you can't beat the price. Free!
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3903 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wowee Zowee!!!

As an early adopter with V100 firmware, I've upgraded to V111 and all I can say is WOW! I'm completely blown away with the new detail enhancement feature, it's like getting a new projector for free! Very happy that Epson has released this...

Craig Peer likes this.
post #3904 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScreen View Post
I had no issues doing the update on a Win7 PC. Have you tried connecting another source (PC or Blu-ray) to an HDMI input on the projector? You might also try doing a reset on the projector (after noting your settings!).

Since the projector shows the BIOS and windows startup, the PC may be sending the projector a scan rate (frames per second) after booting that it can't handle. With a conventional PC monitor attached, you could check that your graphics card settings are set to no more than 60 fps (50 for the 9200?).

Or better, you could try booting the PC up in safe mode. If you can see the windows desktop on the projector, then set the screen resolution to the correct settings (and confirm that the Epson is shown identified as the display) and reboot into full resolution while crossing your fingers.
Thanks DarkScreen. Other sources are working fine (ps4/DVR). I hooked up a monitor using RGB and made sure the epson was set to 1080p 60hz. I am starting to think I had some hardware failure that just coincided with the new FW. I reinstalled win7 to see if it works, and as soon as i hook up the epson, it blue screens running memtest to see if it comes up with anything.
post #3905 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I successfully installed the new firmware last night but in doing so, I've now noticed what appears to be a green dust blob in the bottom left corner. Can someone look at my pics and confirm if that is in fact what I'm seeing? If it is, is there anyway I can attempt to fix it or do I need to call Epson? I bought mine when they first released last year and I've had two replacement since then. The most recent was this summer. Will Epson cover this under warranty and send me a replacement? Thanks for the help

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414066223.777191.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	326242

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414066238.657581.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	326250

post #3906 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
I successfully installed the new firmware last night but in doing so, I've now noticed what appears to be a green dust blob in the bottom left corner. Can someone look at my pics and confirm if that is in fact what I'm seeing? If it is, is there anyway I can attempt to fix it or do I need to call Epson? I bought mine when they first released last year and I've had two replacement since then. The most recent was this summer. Will Epson cover this under warranty and send me a replacement? Thanks for the help

Attachment 326242

Attachment 326250
It is a bit concerning to me the number of members here reporting dust blobs. My projector is under warranty but I'll be worried when it runs out.
post #3907 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Attachment 326242

Attachment 326250
Looks like a dust blob to me.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3908 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Looks like a dust blob to me.
Thanks. Does Epson cover that under their 1 year warranty?

post #3909 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What's setting are you guys using?

Is the detail enhancement activated only on the #4 and #5 settings?
post #3910 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post

I've been going between a two and three. Sometimes three seems to be a little too much. When it comes to Blu-rays I think three looks amazing! But it's also going to depend on what you keep your sharpness level out as well. You don't want to cause any unwanted artifacts in the picture.

post #3911 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I called Epson support today about my dust blob and they are sending me out a replacement within the next two business days. I'm not sure how much longer my warranty period is, but it has to be up pretty soon. Is there a way for me to purchase an aftermarket warranty for this projector? This will be my third 5030 projector and I'm starting to get a little nervous.

post #3912 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I called Epson support today about my dust blob and they are sending me out a replacement within the next two business days. I'm not sure how much longer my warranty period is, but it has to be up pretty soon. Is there a way for me to purchase an aftermarket warranty for this projector? This will be my third 5030 projector and I'm starting to get a little nervous.
I THINK - I REPEAT I THINK
you can get one from Epson if you do it before it expires
post #3913 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

I believe Epson offers extended 1 and 2-year warrantees, but you have to purchase them within 120 days of buying the PJ.
post #3914 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I've been going between a two and three. Sometimes three seems to be a little too much. When it comes to Blu-rays I think three looks amazing! But it's also going to depend on what you keep your sharpness level out as well. You don't want to cause any unwanted artifacts in the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Vadis View Post
I agree. I am in Australia. When I checked the Epson Australia website couple of weeks back, the link was not functioning. I sent an email to Epson and it was fixed. Couple of days back I installed the upgrade using a laptop and WINDOWS 7. It was easy and took under a minute. I can immediately see improvements in Super Resolution. Whereas previously I could not see any even when I cranked it up. Having said that having it more than 4 definitely gives an artificial aura to the picture. But definitely there is a distinct sharpness to the video. I also found that it works best when the input source is very good such as blu rays. When I streamed lower resolution, I had to turn the super resolution off.

Following my email to Epson, this is what I got in reply" The update is implementing Detail Enhancement into the Super Resolution function of current models 8200/9200W. The updated projector will show more clarity and sharpness of image. Detail Enhancement is not shown on OSD menu. The menu just displays super resolution, default SR level is 3 After level 3 it changes to detail enhancement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post

please see Epson reply to my email regarding the upgrade
post #3915 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
In Australia Epson provides 3 years warranty and an extra 6 months if the projector is registered with them within 60 days of purchase. You may want to check if it is available in your country. Also if the projector is purchased using Visa or MasterCard another one year warranty is available after the original warranty has run out.
post #3916 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Super Res same as Detail Enhancement

I just need clarification on the US version v111. Once the firmware is updated, there is still only the Super Resolution setting, correct- there is no new setting labeled Detail Enhancement?
If there is a new setting, where is it located?
Thanks
post #3917 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
I just need clarification on the US version v111. Once the firmware is updated, there is still only the Super Resolution setting, correct- there is no new setting labeled Detail Enhancement?
If there is a new setting, where is it located?
Thanks
I had the same doubt and sought clarification from Epson. I have posted Epson reply yesterday. They have clarified how the detailed enhancement works.
post #3918 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBuLhAgaG View Post
As an early adopter with V100 firmware, I've upgraded to V111 and all I can say is WOW! I'm completely blown away with the new detail enhancement feature, it's like getting a new projector for free! Very happy that Epson has released this...

That's the way we felt when we saw the new software in action at Cedia !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #3919 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
It is a bit concerning to me the number of members here reporting dust blobs. My projector is under warranty but I'll be worried when it runs out.
From what I read epson does 3 exchanges and that is it! No matter what. Even if you buy an extended warranty its still only 3 and that is it. I asked this question earlier and that is what I was told.

Just wondering what where for the first 2 replacements for? And I vacuum my theater room religiously more than any other room of the house to be honest. And I use high end thebest you can get air filters for my hvac. You could also look in to a dust cover as well. Or a box for the projector.
post #3920 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Vadis View Post
I had the same doubt and sought clarification from Epson. I have posted Epson reply yesterday. They have clarified how the detailed enhancement works.
Maybe I'm a little slow today but I guess I need some extra clarification on this. You're saying that if I use Super Resolution at 3 or less, it will be the same as before with the old firmware and it's not until you bump it up to 4 or 5 that the new detail enhancement feature is activated? If that's the case, what level is everyone keeping their sharpness at? If so, are you using advanced sharpness or standard.

I tried super resolution at 4 and the picture looked overly sharp. Didn't like it. But at the same time, I have the sharpness setting at 3.

post #3921 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm a little slow today but I guess I need some extra clarification on this. You're saying that if I use Super Resolution at 3 or less, it will be the same as before with the old firmware and it's not until you bump it up to 4 or 5 that the new detail enhancement feature is activated? If that's the case, what level is everyone keeping their sharpness at? If so, are you using advanced sharpness or standard.

I tried super resolution at 4 and the picture looked overly sharp. Didn't like it. But at the same time, I have the sharpness setting at 3.
That is what I understood from Epson email. However, whilst talking to a technical guy at Epson he said improvements have been made to all points in SR and detail enhancement kicks in from 4.

I agree that at 4 image is quite sharp. At 5 almost impossible. I cannot fathom a situation where I can use 5. Having said that I kind of like the sharpness in 4. Yesterday we were watching Ben Hurt and the sharpness in the image was awesome. But then some of my friends thought it was too realistic!! I usually watch on THX all on default except sometimes I crank up the temp a notch or two.
post #3922 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:

This is not the case. Any level of the new SR is better than before. 3 is about as far as most go until it becomes a bit much. I go 3 on good content and back down to 2 and sub par content.
post #3923 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the insight! Does this improvement also work in 3D as well??

post #3924 of 3985 Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight! Does this improvement also work in 3D as well??
I haven't yet tried in 3D. I will be getting a 3D disc today I will try it later and post tomorrow
JewDaddy likes this.
post #3925 of 3985 Old 10-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
This is not the case. Any level of the new SR is better than before. 3 is about as far as most go until it becomes a bit much. I go 3 on good content and back down to 2 and sub par content.
At what setting do you have your "sharpness" set at? I am wondering how inter-active the 2 settings (sharpness and Super Res) are.
post #3926 of 3985 Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
At what setting do you have your "sharpness" set at? I am wondering how inter-active the 2 settings (sharpness and Super Res) are.
I have it at 0. I still am waiting to get calibration and haven't really played around with the settings.
post #3927 of 3985 Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK Guys, here is stupid question of the day.

What kind of cable are you using to connect your PC and the PJ?

I'm trying to use a USB to Micro-UBS and it won't fit into the PJ.

Do I need some kind of special service port cable from Epson?

I'm anxious to do the update but am stymied at this point.

TIA.

Jim
post #3928 of 3985 Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
flight planner, it's USB mini B, not micro-USB. So yep, you need a different cable for it. These used to be more common, many digital cameras, early Logitech Harmony remotes, older cell phones including very early Android phones, and other devices used mini-USB. My Fujitsu scanner that I bought a couple years ago is probably the last device I bought that uses that connector. So if you have older devices that connected to your PC via USB using an "odd" cable, that might work. The mini-USB connector is about the same width as micro-USB, but twice as thick.
post #3929 of 3985 Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
I went from 110 to 111 on my 5030 last night, upgrade was relatively easy, but I didn't notice a big improvement. So far I've only tested with FiOS though, and there are times with it that I find the quality to really be lagging. I need to check with some blu-ray today.

Can anyone point me to a good guide/tutorial/walkthrough for calibrating with HCFR? I've followed some in the past, but they were written quite a while back, and I know HCFR has had a lot of improvements made to it.
I just wanted to come back and revisit my earlier comments. So far I've found with FiOS it's a mixed bag. Sometimes I get a really solid image from them, and SR works great at 3. Other times the image can be softer and SR is a detriment. However on blu-ray, wow. SR at 3 brings out detail that I never thought would be in there. It works great on skin, every pore, every hair, every wrinkle shows up real well. It's very lifelike, and I love it.
post #3930 of 3985 Old 10-24-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
flight planner, it's USB mini B, not micro-USB. So yep, you need a different cable for it. These used to be more common, many digital cameras, early Logitech Harmony remotes, older cell phones including very early Android phones, and other devices used mini-USB. My Fujitsu scanner that I bought a couple years ago is probably the last device I bought that uses that connector. So if you have older devices that connected to your PC via USB using an "odd" cable, that might work. The mini-USB connector is about the same width as micro-USB, but twice as thick.
Many thanks Keith.

I'll scrounge around in all of my cables and see if I can find one of those.

You would think they would put a more common connection on these devices but that is too logical.

I guess for the same reason there are so many different plumbing valves, etc. etc.

I'm sure glad life is not too easy. <G>

Jim
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page