Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post
OK, I have the proof now.
Warning !
Windows 8.1 Update : Will not work with this procedure
Windows 10 Preview : Will not work with this procedure.

Win 7 works fine of course.

I'm a little baffled how OS version affects a simple file copy, but it does.
Ah, yes. I had a similar problem with an SD card in Win 8.1 (not 8.0) on another product. The product wouldn't boot from an SD card once Win 8.1 had written to it. In my case, the product gave me a nasty message telling me that the card needed to be completely erased before the product could use it.

Here's what I learned:

Windows 8.1 creates a directory and file "\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid" on SD cards (and likely the Epson update memory block). The folder is hidden, but you can see the file by opening Windows Explorer and manually entering the directory in the location bar (and enabling the viewing of hidden files).

Their presence (on the SD card or the embedded equipment memory) seems to confuse some products.

You can remove the directory and file from the command prompt (or a batch file) with the following commands (for an SD card or USB link to the projector memory in drive F: in this example):

del "F:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"
rmdir "F:\System Volume Information"

The update file should then be accepted by the projector. Better is to use a PC that doesn't run Windows 8.1...like you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4408 Old 10-25-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I would be willing to bet that it's a USB 3.0 issue. When doing the update, check to see if you're plugged into a USB 3.0 slot. Try a USB 2.0 slot, if you have one available. Sometimes, there are issues when using USB 2.0 devices in a USB 3.0 slot.
climber07 likes this.
post #3963 of 4408 Old 10-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
The update is an updated processing capability. The calibration is simply adjustments in your settings using the available options. Without the update, this capability will not be available (enhanced support resolution).

Thanks, that makes sense.

shortspark
post #3964 of 4408 Old 10-25-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I would be willing to bet that it's a USB 3.0 issue. When doing the update, check to see if you're plugged into a USB 3.0 slot. Try a USB 2.0 slot, if you have one available. Sometimes, there are issues when using USB 2.0 devices in a USB 3.0 slot.
That actually makes more sense. The drivers for USB 2.0 backward compatibility would cause some problems if the SPD chip in the projector wasn't coded for it. Should work though. I used a 2.0 USB port in my laptop.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #3965 of 4408 Old 10-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
No file header information is updated by the OS. The file is stored into a folder on the PJ (just a memory chip). Once the USB connection is removed, the PJ reboots and the internal processor on the projector wires the file to the system memory (firmware). It's very similar, if not identical, to a BIOS update, hence the importance of not interrupting per during the file write and reboot of the PJ.
Gotcha Climber.

I was thinking old school, cause I'm an old school guy. <G>

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim
post #3966 of 4408 Old 10-26-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight planner View Post
Gotcha Climber.

I was thinking old school, cause I'm an old school guy. <G>

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim
I had to raise my eyebrows on that one. That's even a little before my time. That's like Cobol mainframe stuff there. I was weaned on DOS.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #3967 of 4408 Old 10-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chromebook works

I had the same problem updating firmware with a Windows 8.1 laptop. So I tried a Chromebook and it worked fine.
post #3968 of 4408 Old 10-27-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Luckily I still have an older W7 laptop around for such emergencies!
post #3969 of 4408 Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I gave the new Super Resolution a spin on the SAMSARA bluray last night. I'm experimenting with different amounts of "sharpness" combined with "super resolution" and at least in the case of SAMSARA, I settled for 0 sharpness and 2 on super resolution. I'm finding 3 to be too aggressive -- artifacts becoming visible on a 135" screen.

Anyway, SR at 2 looks like a winner to me.
post #3970 of 4408 Old 10-28-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Gotta question for 5030ub owners. I'm trying to decide between the Sony40es & the 5030. I currently have an Epson 3010 and it's been problem free for 3 years and overall a great entry level pj EXCEPT for the iris which must stay off because it's very noisy & irritating if left on. Is this still the case with the 5030? It would be located just a few feet above our heads. I'm looking for nice dark blacks but if I have to leave the iris off it looks like I'd be better off with the Sony.
Appreciate your input. Thanks!

Ed
post #3971 of 4408 Old 10-28-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Gotta question for 5030ub owners. I'm trying to decide between the Sony40es & the 5030. I currently have an Epson 3010 and it's been problem free for 3 years and overall a great entry level pj EXCEPT for the iris which must stay off because it's very noisy & irritating if left on. Is this still the case with the 5030? It would be located just a few feet above our heads. I'm looking for nice dark blacks but if I have to leave the iris off it looks like I'd be better off with the Sony.
Appreciate your input. Thanks!Ed
I've never heard my Iris when audio is playing. I think I'd have to mute the volume to listen for it. My PJ is four or five feet directly above my head.

post #3972 of 4408 Old 10-29-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Ed
I have a 5030ub. My head is about 8 feet from the ceiling mounted projector. The random clickey noise bothers me. I have it turned off. Although I've not done much A/B testing of black levels, I don't think I'm losing much by keeping it off. I suspect that the noise is similar to your 3010.
post #3973 of 4408 Old 10-29-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've never heard my Iris when audio is playing. I think I'd have to mute the volume to listen for it. My PJ is four or five feet directly above my head.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Semper Fi!

Ed
post #3974 of 4408 Old 10-29-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScreen View Post
I have a 5030ub. My head is about 8 feet from the ceiling mounted projector. The random clickey noise bothers me. I have it turned off. Although I've not done much A/B testing of black levels, I don't think I'm losing much by keeping it off. I suspect that the noise is similar to your 3010.

Really appreciate your input. Sounds (no pun intended) just like my 3010.

Ed
post #3975 of 4408 Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Finally did the FW last night. But didn't get to test it. Will have to change that in the next few days!

Took longer to get the old slow laptop started up than it did to download and install the silly thing . . .
post #3976 of 4408 Old 10-29-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Ed
I have my projector on a table just right to where I sit. I have the Iris on high most of the time. It does make a rumbling noise which is mostly not heard when audio is on. If there are any silent scenes, you likely to hear it But it is quite low and does not appear to bother me even when I hear it.

The way I see it is the many other advantages of this projector make me accept this occasional bother. Hope this helps.
Ed[/QUOTE]
post #3977 of 4408 Old 10-29-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post
I gave the new Super Resolution a spin on the SAMSARA bluray last night. I'm experimenting with different amounts of "sharpness" combined with "super resolution" and at least in the case of SAMSARA, I settled for 0 sharpness and 2 on super resolution. I'm finding 3 to be too aggressive -- artifacts becoming visible on a 135" screen.

Anyway, SR at 2 looks like a winner to me.
What I found was it seems to depend on the input. With DVDs I find that either I have to keep it off or at best at 1. With Blu rays, depending on the movie I have been able to go up to 4 to get clear images (Wolverine) and on some I had to lower it to 2. For me the sweet spot appears to be 3. I haven't had an occasion to go right up to 5.
post #3978 of 4408 Old 10-29-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Vadis View Post
I have my projector on a table just right to where I sit. I have the Iris on high most of the time. It does make a rumbling noise which is mostly not heard when audio is on. If there are any silent scenes, you likely to hear it But it is quite low and does not appear to bother me even when I hear it.

The way I see it is the many other advantages of this projector make me accept this occasional bother. Hope this helps.
Ed
[/QUOTE]

Thank you mate!

Ed
post #3979 of 4408 Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Vadis View Post
What I found was it seems to depend on the input. With DVDs I find that either I have to keep it off or at best at 1. With Blu rays, depending on the movie I have been able to go up to 4 to get clear images (Wolverine) and on some I had to lower it to 2. For me the sweet spot appears to be 3. I haven't had an occasion to go right up to 5.
With the new firmware, I've been testing various settings for various titles and, to me, seems like 4 is no longer the overkill it was pre-update. Keep in mind also that the 1-3 settings only pertain to SR, per Epson, and the Picture Enhancement feature kicks in at 4. So try what I did and see if it works for you -- pick any title and the pause it at any point (especially if there's textual type screens or billboards in the scenes. Now move the slider to 3 and then, still paused, move to 4. Toggle back and forth and you will see the picture enhancement working.

To me, the detail in 4 was a revelation. Skin tones, text on computer screens in a scene, background, foliage, you-name-it. Yes, sometimes the picture gets a little bit more grainy but it feels natural and less processed for movies anyways. On a couple of very bright scenes, I could see some ringing around dark objects, such as hair, so I moved down to 3. All in all, I'm loving what 4 provides - somewhat Darbee-esque. YMMV, of course. Hope this helps.
post #3980 of 4408 Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quick question. I just received my replacement Epson 5030 today. It's a brand new unit not a refurb. I made sure of that before the replacement was ever shipped. The first thing I checked was the firmware and it says V103. That's not the newest with the Super Resolution enhancement is it??

post #3981 of 4408 Old 10-30-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
No, the new firmware is version 111.
post #3982 of 4408 Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
October 31st 2014. Hello Guys, it's Bandit. I have been on a hiatus from the forum for a year almost. I am going to get flamed, but I bought my Epson 5030 (or is it the 6030?? it is the one from a dealer with the mount included and the extra warranty) almost a year ago, along with a Pair of Rythmik FV15 Piano Black Dual Subs, upgraded some speakers, the front 3 (currently have 7.1 in wall) a New center and got 2 towers for the front of my 20 x 17 Media Room. Also added an Oppo 103 DVD and a new Devon HD 4000 Receiver.

ALL of this gear is still in the boxes sitting in my media room. I know, I know. I got side tracked and haven't had the time or motivation to set everything up. I am about to get this knocked out this weekend, I hope! At least the Projector.

I have a ceiling mounted Mitsubishi HD1500 and it has been a great projector, never had 1 issue 7 years later and I replaced the bulb just last year. I have the current projector ceiling mounted shining on a 10 x 6 screen, it is attached to the ceiling via an NPT standard Metal Pole.

I am hoping I can use the included Mount that comes with the Epson 5030 and then ATTACH the New Projector to the existing NPT Pole already in the ceiling? I just need to Unbox it and look at everything.

3 SIMPLE Questions to start with:

1. I have a 25 foot HDMI Cable connected to the existing NON 3-D projector now and it is 7 years old, SO, I know it is the 2.0 HDMI cable (or whatever the number is). I know since then, they came out with a 3.0 HDMI Cable / V3? Is it a requirement to change my existing HDMI Cable to the Newest Version (3.0 or 3.1, not sure which it is)? Maybe I need to because of the 3D? My new receiver is a 3D receiver, the old one is not.

Or can I just use the existing HDMI Cable? I will have to get in the attic and do some fishing, and if it is worth it, I WILL. However, if not, it would be easy just to use the existing HDMI 2.o Cable. What is the advantage IF THERE IS ONE, to using the new HDMI 3.0?

2. Since the projector is a year old, do I need to do any software updates for this projector?

3. Any other thing I need to be aware of before I install the projector, or anything I should know?

Thank You in advance for your help on this! Very sad this stuff is in boxes still. Those subs are 135 lbs. EACH! The sat in my foyer for 3 months before I finally moved them upstairs, by myself too!

Happy Halloween!

The Bandit...........................
post #3983 of 4408 Old 10-31-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You have tremendous will power, I'll give you that. You have had all that great equipment for a year just sitting there? Wow! Most people would go nuts if they could not tear into those boxes immediately!

I also have the 6030 (which from your description is what you have). It is the best projector I have ever owned and by a considerable margin; you will be very pleased with it. I am getting it professionally calibrated in December but the picture is great right out of the box.

High speed HDMI cables are not necessary for some 3D content but I recommend it. Try what you have and see what happens because it might work fine. I have a dedicated RedMere 40' cable from Monoprice and it works great. I say "dedicated" because I bought it to go directly from the HDMI one output of my Oppo 103 to the Epson. I have regular HDMI cable for sound only going from the Oppo two output to my Yamaha receiver. That way I by-pass the receiver entirely for video and let the great Oppo do its thing by itself. The RedMere handles 3D without a problem and is fairly cheap (it is directional so be sure to plug in the right end before threading it through your walls and attic). I have regular HDMI cable going from the receiver to the Epson HDMI number two input and that handles things like my DishTV and my Cable box DVR. These do not require high speed HDMI cables. You asked about the advantage of using the high speed cable and I believe it is in the ability to do what I did - go directly from the OPPO to the Epson and by-pass everything else. If you are going to do that you might as well use the high speed HDMI and not take any chances.

There is a new firmware update that some people say is great and deals with super resolution control. I have not fooled with it yet as I have Darbee in line and I could not be happier with the resolution boost it gives me. The update is v111, I think, but you can learn all you want about it at this site: http://www.projectorreviews.com/arti...0ube-and-4030/

Good luck and let us know what you think when you have everything hooked up.

shortspark
post #3984 of 4408 Old 10-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
To anyone installing the new V111 update on their Epson 5030/6030 using a windows 8.1 computer. I tried numerous times with no success. Every time I got to the last step of ejecting the Epson from my computer, the Epson just shut off and never installed the update. I just returned my 5030 and got a replacement yesterday and can confirm that by booting in safe mode, the update worked both times with no problem. It worked on the one I sent back and the replacement. Maybe somebody has already pointed this out but if not, give it a shot if you're having issues.

On a side note, I am extremely impressed by the focus uniformity on my replacement. It's almost a night and day difference from my previous one. No matter what I tried, I could never get the left and right side focus of the screen to match the center focus. Tried numerous things and no improvement. It wasn't terrible but for a perfectionist as myself (or just plain OCD) it bothered me. I was blown away by the overall focus of the entire picture with my replacement. Couldn't be happier :-)

One question for the people using a HTPC with the new update. If I go over anything above a 3 for the Super Resolution, text looks terrible. Especially if I move up to four and back the sharpness way down. It makes the text look slimmer with too much contrast around it. Anyone see this same side effect with Super Resolution? If so, what sharpness and SR settings do you find yourself using? Thanks

post #3985 of 4408 Old 10-31-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
To anyone installing the new V111 update on their Epson 5030/6030 using a windows 8.1 computer. I tried numerous times with no success. Every time I got to the last step of ejecting the Epson from my computer, the Epson just shut off and never installed the update. I just returned my 5030 and got a replacement yesterday and can confirm that by booting in safe mode, the update worked both times with no problem. It worked on the one I sent back and the replacement. Maybe somebody has already pointed this out but if not, give it a shot if you're having issues.

I used my Windows 8.1 computer to update my newly purchased 5030 and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. The update went smooth as silk.

As I've said in other threads, I think the problem is likely to do with people using USB 3.0 ports to connect to their Epson's and that's what's causing the problems. Some USB 2.0 devices do not play nice with USB 3.0. When you run your computer in Safe Mode, your USB 3.0 drivers are probably not loading, and that's probably why it worked.

In any case, Windows 8.1 itself is not the culprit. It worked perfectly for me. I also made sure that I used a USB 2.0 port.
post #3986 of 4408 Old 11-01-2014, 12:09 AM

Liked: 0
Throw distance for a 120" screen

Hi I am looking for opinions on projector placement. I have used the throw calculators and see for 120" screen using the 5030 15'11" is recommended. My ceiling joist is not in the perfect spot but it is close. Basically accounting for the mount to lens distance I would be at 15'3" for my throw distance. I am pretty sure this will work fine what have others found with throw ranges and this projector? My other option would be to span the joists with a plywood base and mount the peerless mount to that. But if I don't have to I would rather just fasten it directly into the joists. I have my screen all set up and look forward to putting up my projector soon. Thanks.
post #3987 of 4408 Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy67 View Post
Hi I am looking for opinions on projector placement. I have used the throw calculators and see for 120" screen using the 5030 15'11" is recommended. My ceiling joist is not in the perfect spot but it is close. Basically accounting for the mount to lens distance I would be at 15'3" for my throw distance. I am pretty sure this will work fine what have others found with throw ranges and this projector? My other option would be to span the joists with a plywood base and mount the peerless mount to that. But if I don't have to I would rather just fasten it directly into the joists. I have my screen all set up and look forward to putting up my projector soon. Thanks.
That is the middle ground. 15'11" allows for play on either side for a 120" screen. You can go from around 12' all the way to 25 feet for throw distance. You are going to be perfect at 15'3". I would say that 15'11 inches would be the max for optimal brightness and 12' would be the minimum to fill the screen size.

post #3988 of 4408 Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

One question for the people using a HTPC with the new update. If I go over anything above a 3 for the Super Resolution, text looks terrible. Especially if I move up to four and back the sharpness way down. It makes the text look slimmer with too much contrast around it. Anyone see this same side effect with Super Resolution? If so, what sharpness and SR settings do you find yourself using? Thanks
Same observation. At the moment, I have it set at 2.

I haven't tried setting one "customized setting" for "text" and another for "TV/movies", etc. Of course this assumes that Super Resolution settings can be stored in customized settings memory.
post #3989 of 4408 Old 11-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I need to purchase 2 more pairs of 3d glasses for my 5030ub. Does anyone know if these glasses will work with our projectors?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-51...ct_top?ie=UTF8
post #3990 of 4408 Old 11-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteez View Post
I need to purchase 2 more pairs of 3d glasses for my 5030ub. Does anyone know if these glasses will work with our projectors?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-51...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Yeah those will work just fine I ordered one for mine about 6 months ago and it has been working fine.
jayteez likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com