post #4141 of 4363 Old 11-17-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtis_mcleskey View Post
I'm about to submit my rebate to epson for a free lamp. I noticed on the website tho that it says rebates aren't good for purchases made at best buy or best buy online. Well I got mine online. Has anyone else received a lamp that bought one from best buy

What website??? I can't find anything that says BB purchases aren't eligible.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4363 Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had the same question for Epson and they have told me Best Buy doesn't count, nor do purchases from authorized sellers like Visual Apex - IF you bought it from Visual Apex via Amazon - it has to be from an authorized sellers site not another sales channel they may offer.

Here is the site Epson told me about:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/B...okie=yes&oid=0

"SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PRODUCTS PURCHASED AT THESE RETAILERS:

Best Buy

Epson mail in rebates are not valid for purchases made in store or online at Best Buy. Please check with Best Buy at the time of purchase for any applicable instant rebates."

I just bought an HC3000 over the weekend and hate how bad games look on it, and have considered a 5030 - wondering if its better when in Fast mode, but have also wondered about this rebate - and if it was worth a shot submitting anyway.
post #4143 of 4363 Old 11-17-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
On the other hand, there were folks that said using 2 Darbee's with each set lower than they would have with just one, looked even better. Since the firmware if free, you could try both at the same time, eh ??
Possibly... I'm reluctant to upgrade anything unless I know there is a real benefit in it for me - I work on 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

If there were other benefits of the FW upgrade it'd be more compelling for me. Pity Epson don't publish a list of changes - they have gone up two versions since mine was made, so there must be changes other than Super Res. But of course, they may not be things I consider as beneficial (eg adding Korean menus or something).
post #4144 of 4363 Old 11-17-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Would you say that if you already have the Darbee that there is no real value in upgrading? I’d be interested in hearing your comparison between Super Res and Darbee. Thanks.
Yes, I would agree with that. I run my Darbee at 65% ands disabled the PJ option after the update. It is just redundant. If I did not have the Darbee I would run the Super Resolution at 3.

post #4145 of 4363 Old 11-17-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post
I've had the same question for Epson and they have told me Best Buy doesn't count, nor do purchases from authorized sellers like Visual Apex - IF you bought it from Visual Apex via Amazon - it has to be from an authorized sellers site not another sales channel they may offer.

Here is the site Epson told me about:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/B...okie=yes&oid=0

"SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PRODUCTS PURCHASED AT THESE RETAILERS:

Best Buy

Epson mail in rebates are not valid for purchases made in store or online at Best Buy. Please check with Best Buy at the time of purchase for any applicable instant rebates."

I just bought an HC3000 over the weekend and hate how bad games look on it, and have considered a 5030 - wondering if its better when in Fast mode, but have also wondered about this rebate - and if it was worth a shot submitting anyway.

In the future, AV Science is an authorized dealer for Epson projectors. Just FYI.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4146 of 4363 Old 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM

i know... such is the curse of gift cards!
post #4147 of 4363 Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This blows. What's the difference in the projector from best buy or wherever they all come from epson

I bought this projector with the benefit of getting a new bulb. Now I'm not goin to be able to get one because it came from best buy

I'd have gotten it from avs but they don't offer 2 year financing like best buy does
old corps likes this.
post #4148 of 4363 Old 11-17-2014, 09:02 PM

The issue I have is this form: http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/pdf/...612-C42198.pdf

No such restrictions listed. It wants copies of the UPC and receipt, so it might be worth a shot since you don't have to send originals - but I assume it would fail.

I am getting caught up on this thread after spending a lot of time on the Epson HC3000 thread. Without getting flamed - does anyone have ps4 gaming experience they can share? The HC3000 looks horrible to me in Fast mode, and wondering how the 5030 looks. For me its now between a 5030, maybe an 8345, or a Panny AE8000u....

Looks like I have 140 pages to read!
post #4149 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This blows. What's the difference in the projector from best buy or wherever they all come from epson

I bought this projector with the benefit of getting a new bulb. Now I'm not goin to be able to get one because it came from best buy

I'd have gotten it from avs but they don't offer 2 year financing like best buy does
Like Eric states, there is NOTHING on their rebate form that mentions excluding BB purchases. That stinks if they don't honor the rebate! I haven't even purchased one but was tempted because of the convenience of 24 months interest free from BB.

Ed
post #4150 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Liked: 15
We will soon see soon enough. I sent in the lamp voucher paperwork yesterday. As has been mentioned, there is nothing on the official voucher form about BB purchases not being included. The sale price and lamp offer was the main reason I jumped off the fence and bought the 5030 over the Sony 40ES.
post #4151 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If I were you guys in the US, I'd definitely apply for the lamp rebate as chances look very good that it's valid.

The Epson Canada rebate centre page says 'NOT ALL OFFERS' are valid for purchases from Best Buy Canada (and others), and to see the Terms and Conditions. The Terms and Conditions on the Canadian lamp offer PDF, which is linked as a current rebate on that same page, states nothing about any retailer being excluded - so apparently the lamp offer is not subject to retailer restrictions in Canada.

Special Rebate Exceptions: (Canada)

Please note not all offers are valid for purchases made in store or on-line at Best Buy (www.bestbuy.ca), Future Shop (www.futureshop.ca), Staples (www.staples.ca), London Drugs (www.londondrugs.com), Costco (www.costco.ca) or educational institutions. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further information.

I found at least one current Canadian cash rebate PDF for an Epson printer ($200) that specifically mentions the Best Buy exclusion in the terms and conditions. A similar Best Buy USA exclusion is in the US cash rebate T&C for that printer as well - I'd say that's a very good sign the US lamp offer (listing no exclusions) is good across the board.

Doesn't impact me, as I purchased the projector well before the free lamp validity period .... and still extremely happy with the purchase!
post #4152 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Ok. I talked to someone at best buy that indeed told me it states that rebates aren't good for best buy but the projector rebate is exclude. He told me he had it confirmed that best buy epson 5030 purchasers are eligible for the free lamp

Back to a good mood lol
prince.nothing likes this.

Last edited by kirtis_mcleskey; 11-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #4153 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I finally got my Epson 5030 hooked up, squared and aligned with screen last night. I just wanted to comment right quick on the Darbee + Super Resolution (with firmware upgrade). I'll report back in greater detail after I've spent some more time with it. I've had the Darbee just sitting in its box for about 3 months (so before the new firmware came out). I haven't really seen to many posts with actual user experience with the new firmware combined with a Darbee. Like everyone else seems to be wondering, I was very curious to see if the Darbee was even needed . Initial thoughts on this combo is that the two together are AMAZING! I sit ~11' from eyes to screen (120" SeymourAV Center Stage XD Retractable). The projector is ceiling mounted about 14' from the screen. I've only had time to test it on one movie so far (Avatar 2D). Haven't charged the glasses yet for 3D. To my eyes on my setup, the look on Avatar 2D in Cinema mode and eco with SR set to 3, sharpening on PJ set to 0, and Darbee around 50% in HD mode looked stunningly sharp without being overcooked. What is interesting to me is if I turned off the Darbee (set to 0 sharpening) and bumped up the SR to 4, stuff like text started to look unnatural with very noticeable holos around the text. Switching back and forth was easy to see the differences. If I switched SR back to 3 and set the Darbee back to 50% sharpening, the text didn't look to artificially sharp with haloing and the fine details in facial close-ups were even sharper than with SR set to 4 (nothing looked to unnatural, at least to my eyes on this movie and my setup). I could really see the difference in the scenes with him talking into the camera (close-ups and text on screen at the same time). I know everyone's sharpening preferences differ though. I admit, I do love a very sharp picture but don't like it having that obvious over sharpened look. I probably need to make sure panel alignment is good as well. If it is off, that may require sharping to be reduced once its aligned.

I think the Darbee definitely does work a little different than the SR and gives finer control with the 1% increments. To me the combo is a winner. I may find with other Blu Ray content that I have to reduce sharpening a bit, but for this movie it looked absolutely incredible! Hopefully this will help you guys that are debating whether or not to add the Darbee to the mix is worth it, in addition to the firmware upgrade.

Last edited by SBuger; 11-18-2014 at 11:55 AM.
post #4154 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I also use the Darbee along with the Super Resolution upgrade. I mean...you have both, why not? Like SBuger above, I find they really compliment each other. Set Super Resolution to where you don't see artifacts, and then fine tune with the Darbee. The results are stellar.
post #4155 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
I finally got my Epson 5030 hooked up, squared and aligned with screen last night. I just wanted to comment right quick on the Darbee + Super Resolution (with firmware upgrade). I'll report back in greater detail after I've spent some more time with it. I've had the Darbee just sitting in its box for about 3 months (so before the new firmware came out). I haven't really seen to many posts with actual user experience with the new firmware combined with a Darbee. Like everyone else seems to be wondering, I was very curious to see if the Darbee was even needed . Initial thoughts on this combo is that the two together are AMAZING! I sit ~11' from eyes to screen (120" SeymourAV Center Stage XD Retractable). The projector is ceiling mounted about 14' from the screen. I've only had time to test it on one movie so far (Avatar 2D). Haven't charged the glasses yet for 3D. To my eyes on my setup, the look on Avatar 2D in Cinema mode and eco with SR set to 3, sharpening on PJ set to 0, and Darbee around 50% in HD mode looked stunningly sharp without being overcooked. What is interesting to me is if I turned off the Darbee (set to 0 sharpening) and bumped up the SR to 4, stuff like text started to look unnatural with very noticeable holos around the text. Switching back and forth was easy to see the differences. If I switched SR back to 3 and set the Darbee back to 50% sharpening, the text didn't look to artificially sharp with haloing and the fine details in facial close-ups were even sharper than with SR set to 4 (nothing looked to unnatural, at least to my eyes on this movie and my setup). I could really see the difference in the scenes with him talking into the camera (close-ups and text on screen at the same time). I know everyone's sharpening preferences differ though. I admit, I do love a very sharp picture but don't like it having that obvious over sharpened look. I probably need to make sure panel alignment is good as well. If it is off, that may require sharping to be reduced once its aligned.

I think the Darbee definitely does work a little different than the SR and gives finer control with the 1% increments. To me the combo is a winner. I may find with other Blu Ray content that I have to reduce sharpening a bit, but for this movie it looked absolutely incredible! Hopefully this will help you guys that are debating whether or not to add the Darbee to the mix is worth it, in addition to the firmware upgrade.
Thanks for the write up. Do you think Darbee alone is good being that I have an LG 3D player I'm happy with or does an Oppo 103d do more than add Darbee to the mix. Or you may not know the answer to this. Also I keep SR at 3 on quality inputs. I would be interested to hear how when adding darbee on 3 and then turning Darbee off what you see. Thanks a lot!
post #4156 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't KNOW, but after thinking about this I doubt that the free lamp offer is considered a rebate. I'd contact Epson 1st to find out before purchasing from BB.

Ed
post #4157 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
I don't KNOW, but after thinking about this I doubt that the free lamp offer is considered a rebate. I'd contact Epson 1st to find out before purchasing from BB.

Ed
Yea they contacted me back this morning confirming that best buy is indeed eligible for the free lamp
old corps likes this.
post #4158 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I picked up both the 5030 and the Sony 40ES and will be comparing them over the next couple days. Accounting for the sale price I got the Sony and the current Epson price w/ the free bulb, the price was pretty much identical. Did any of you have the same dilemma and if so, why'd you end up going with the Epson?

Also looking at that link above where it says Best Buy is excluded, that does look to be more for the printers. So as previously stated, it looks like the free bulb should be good.

post #4159 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yea they contacted me back this morning confirming that best buy is indeed eligible for the free lamp

Good to hear. Thanks for posting!

Ed
post #4160 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Good to hear. Thanks for posting!

Ed
Your welcome lol. It had me stressed lol

Have any of you bought the extended warranty from epson. I'm wanting to

The whole reason I had to get the epson is cause I didn't have an extende warranty on the old projector and I didn't feel like spending more than it was worth to fix it lol

2 years tho is like 500 bucks. But that would be 4 total years under watranty
post #4161 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I also use the Darbee along with the Super Resolution upgrade. I mean...you have both, why not? Like SBuger above, I find they really compliment each other. Set Super Resolution to where you don't see artifacts, and then fine tune with the Darbee. The results are stellar.
Well said
post #4162 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
Thanks for the write up. Do you think Darbee alone is good being that I have an LG 3D player I'm happy with or does an Oppo 103d do more than add Darbee to the mix. Or you may not know the answer to this. Also I keep SR at 3 on quality inputs. I would be interested to hear how when adding darbee on 3 and then turning Darbee off what you see. Thanks a lot!
Not sure on the 103D being better than what you have with adding a stand alone Darbee to the mix. That's what I've done. I have the Oppo 103 and then added the Darbee DVP 5000. When I bought my Oppo 103, I don't think the Darbee version was available. I would think if your happy with your player then adding the Darbee would probably give the same results. Unless you just want an Oppo. I thought SR on 3 with no Darbee still looked fantastic. Adding the Darbee just seemed to bring out overall better contrast and sharpness with no extra artifacts. Not just on the close-ups but in other areas as well with out messing with text to much. Not sure how it effects the noise yet as compared to SR but I would think the Darbee would be better in that area as well. If I didn't have a Darbee to compare with different levels of SR, I think I would still be thrilled. Although I could see myself trying to bump up to SR4 trying to squeeze I tiny bit more sharpness out the close-up details at the expense of bad looking text etc. Adding the Darbee seems to allow the best of both worlds.
post #4163 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Not sure on the 103D being better than what you have with adding a stand alone Darbee to the mix. That's what I've done. I have the Oppo 103 and then added the Darbee DVP 5000. When I bought my Oppo 103, I don't think the Darbee version was available. I would think if your happy with your player then adding the Darbee would probably give the same results. Unless you just want an Oppo. I thought SR on 3 with no Darbee still looked fantastic. Adding the Darbee just seemed to bring out overall better contrast and sharpness with no extra artifacts. Not just on the close-ups but in other areas as well with out messing with text to much. Not sure how it effects the noise yet as compared to SR but I would think the Darbee would be better in that area as well. If I didn't have a Darbee to compare with different levels of SR, I think I would still be thrilled. Although I could see myself trying to bump up to SR4 trying to squeeze I tiny bit more sharpness out the close-up details at the expense of bad looking text etc. Adding the Darbee seems to allow the best of both worlds.
Awesome. I catch myself becoming a picture snob lately so I want to do whatever I can. Great info!
post #4164 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Dumb question but does the Darbee just hook directly into your receiver or does it also hook to Source, ie blu ray or tv?
post #4165 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Dumb question but does the Darbee just hook directly into your receiver or does it also hook to Source, ie blu ray or tv?
It goes right before your display. Sources > HDMI > Darbee > Display.

Last edited by Kilgore; 11-18-2014 at 07:04 PM.
post #4166 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Does any one know how much longer the sale on the 5030ub may be going on?
post #4167 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Does any one know how much longer the sale on the 5030ub may be going on?
I thought that was permanent price drop as I don't see it indicated as a "sale", but maybe not? As for the free bulb, that goes through the end of year.

post #4168 of 4363 Old 11-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

So far I have watched
Resident evil : retribution 3d
Min in black 3 3d

Fellowship of the ring
Return if the Jedi
Revenge if the sith

I can't give a real review down to the specs of the projector but I can say that it has exceeded my expectations

It simply blows away the single chip dlp optoma projector I had

I thought 1080p was as good as ya get.

I now see that the blacks this projector has is what makes the image and details pop, not just the pixel count

I also love the interpolation feature
I'm not even sure what it is but it makes the image smoother Nd now blue during motion scenes ( like a flat screen 120hz tv)

I leave it on high on all my movies
post #4169 of 4363 Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM

All-

Need some help here. I've had my 5030 for a few months now. When my installers were here they were questioning my HDMI cable being new enough to produce 3D. They thought it would but weren't sure. I get my 5030 and the only movie I tried was Polar Express. 3D worked great. Just got my new batch of Samsung 5150 glasses and I go to try them out and I cannot get 3D to come up. Tried polar again and a few others. When I push switch to 3D it stays in 2D. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
post #4170 of 4363 Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
All-

Need some help here. I've had my 5030 for a few months now. When my installers were here they were questioning my HDMI cable being new enough to produce 3D. They thought it would but weren't sure. I get my 5030 and the only movie I tried was Polar Express. 3D worked great. Just got my new batch of Samsung 5150 glasses and I go to try them out and I cannot get 3D to come up. Tried polar again and a few others. When I push switch to 3D it stays in 2D. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Hi,

I had a similar problem, not with the projector but with my 3D TV. If nothing is wrong with the projector, it must be the HDMI cable. Try using the cable in another 3D device or just get another fast HDMI cable. It worked for me when I changed the cable.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page