Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 140 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Viche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I picked up both the 5030 and the Sony 40ES and will be comparing them over the next couple days. Accounting for the sale price I got the Sony and the current Epson price w/ the free bulb, the price was pretty much identical. Did any of you have the same dilemma and if so, why'd you end up going with the Epson?

Also looking at that link above where it says Best Buy is excluded, that does look to be more for the printers. So as previously stated, it looks like the free bulb should be good.
Great! I'm debating between those two models. Here are the things to compare, everything else being equal:
  • How does the Sony's sharpness and detail resolution compare coverall to the Epson after firmware update?
  • How do the Sony's black levels compare with Epson's auto iris on? How about with it off?
  • Does Fast mode on the Epson (post firmware) look noticeably worse than normal mode? (might want to check this before firmware update as well to see if it has improved)
  • How does the fan noise of the Sony vs Epson compare in movie (cinema, THX, etc) vs 3D mode?
  • Is the sound of Epson's auto iris noticeable and annoying?
  • Is the effect of Epson's auto iris on the image distracting?
  • Do you notice a flicker in the image due to the auto iris's action?
That's about it. If you can answer those questions, it would help us to make a good decision.
Thanks!
Viche is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Member
 
mcmountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ceiling Mounted Issue ?

Somewhere way back in this thread was something about panel alignment not adjusting correctly when ceiling mounted ? ? ? Is that still an issue ? Plan on replacing my 8350 which is presently hanging on the ceiling so thought I'd ask .

Tom O.

mcmountainman is offline  
Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post
Somewhere way back in this thread was something about panel alignment not adjusting correctly when ceiling mounted ? ? ? Is that still an issue ? Plan on replacing my 8350 which is presently hanging on the ceiling so thought I'd ask .
Really makes no difference table or ceiling as long as the projector is aligned with the screen 90 degrees. The adjustments are the same regardless.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
Old 11-20-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Great! I'm debating between those two models. Here are the things to compare, everything else being equal:
  • How does the Sony's sharpness and detail resolution compare coverall to the Epson after firmware update? Can't compare.
  • How do the Sony's black levels compare with Epson's auto iris on? How about with it off? Can't compare.
  • Does Fast mode on the Epson (post firmware) look noticeably worse than normal mode? (might want to check this before firmware update as well to see if it has improved) I wouldn't say "worse". Fine looks better, but the lag is unbearable. Fast looks great to me, but I have to turn down Super Resolution. Yes, there is a difference, but really not a deal breaker IMHO. The lag in Fast mode is perfectly acceptable. I really don't notice it at all.
  • How does the fan noise of the Sony vs Epson compare in movie (cinema, THX, etc) vs 3D mode? I only notice the fan noise when I switch from 2D to 3D, and then after about 20-30 seconds I don't even notice it's there. The PJ is on a stand less than 2 feet from my head so believe me, I'd notice it.
  • Is the sound of Epson's auto iris noticeable and annoying? I rarely notice it.
  • Is the effect of Epson's auto iris on the image distracting? Hardly. The only times you really "see it" is when you go quickly from a dark black scene to a bright one. Even when I do notice it (which is not that often) it doesn't bother me.
  • Do you notice a flicker in the image due to the auto iris's action? Only in instances like I mentioned above. It's really not an issue.
That's about it. If you can answer those questions, it would help us to make a good decision.
Thanks!

I inserted my answers above. I should say at the outset that I have not seen the Sony in action so I can't compare. I've been running a projector since my Sanyo Z2 back in 2004. Since then I've owned a Sanyo Z4, an Epson 6100, an Epson 8350, and now an Epson 5030UB. It's my main display and I run it for anywhere from 5-10 hours a day. I use it for everything from TV, movies and gaming both PC and XBOX 360. I should also say that I'm not a "pro" gamer, and I never play multiplayer, but I love FPS, racing games and the occasional platformer. I have no issues running games in Fast mode on my 5030UB.
Kilgore is offline  
Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Member
 
Hammer578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Vadis View Post
Hi,

I had a similar problem, not with the projector but with my 3D TV. If nothing is wrong with the projector, it must be the HDMI cable. Try using the cable in another 3D device or just get another fast HDMI cable. It worked for me when I changed the cable.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my cable runs all through my walls into my mount. I just can't imagine a cable would work with 3D and then not. But I'm also not sure how I would tell if it's the projector. Strange.
climber07 likes this.
Hammer578 is offline  
Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my cable runs all through my walls into my mount. I just can't imagine a cable would work with 3D and then not. But I'm also not sure how I would tell if it's the projector. Strange.
Get a HDMI 1.4 cable that will reach from the back of the projector to the display and troubleshoot that way. If the new cable works, then you have to run a new one through the walls.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
Old 11-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Rokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I inserted my answers above. I should say at the outset that I have not seen the Sony in action so I can't compare. I've been running a projector since my Sanyo Z2 back in 2004. Since then I've owned a Sanyo Z4, an Epson 6100, an Epson 8350, and now an Epson 5030UB. It's my main display and I run it for anywhere from 5-10 hours a day. I use it for everything from TV, movies and gaming both PC and XBOX 360. I should also say that I'm not a "pro" gamer, and I never play multiplayer, but I love FPS, racing games and the occasional platformer. I have no issues running games in Fast mode on my 5030UB.
I had both the hw40ES and the 6030 in my home theater for two-odd weeks so had a chance to compare. I picked the Epson and here are two separate posts with my thoughts, excerpted and reproduced from the HW40ES forum. Hopefully, you'll get some more viewpoints to consider in your decision-making, Viche - also relevant since the 6030 is very similar in performance to the 5030. Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....So far, my results aren't too far from yours. I really like the 2D picture from the Sony provided the RC is on. I have been aware of this trait with the Sonys so was expecting to see a difference in the sharpness with and without RC and hence, not as shocked as you. The Sony is bright, man! However, for my setup, maybe too bright - at least in 2D over the 6030 in best mode (Reference vs. THX).

However, I do see the black level advantage the 6030 provides, albeit with the aid of the iris. Mike is right - without the iris, blacks are very similar between the two and due to the brightness advantage of the HW40, there's a feeling of more punch. The picture is bright and vivid, almost akin to an LED TV in a retail store, except with much better and accurate color. And yes, the Epson's iris can be noisy at times during a movie, but it's nice to know that I have the option to dial it in when needed, which the HW40ES doesn't offer. I did use it while watching Alien last night, and with Super Resolution on 4, the black levels and the clarity were amazing. Thank you, DI and new firmware!

So, my take thus far? Excellent machines that'll do very nicely for the people who choose them. Gaming, OOTB color/skin tones/picture modes, and brightness - go Sony. Dynamic iris, OOTB RF 3D, greater placement flexibility, Darbee-esque clarity algorithm (new firmware almost equals new projector!) - opt for Epson.

Keep in mind also that I got the 6030, not 5030, for just a little more than the HW40's regular price. Therefore, I didn't even consider the 55ES for getting the iris, because it would've been more than the Epson, even at its current sale price.

So looks like I might end up keeping the 6030 after all. Just waiting to try out the 3D on the Sony, even if just for reference purposes. I expect it to be great honestly, but also am aware through the forums, reviews, and the insight provided by Mike, zombie10k, and other, that the Epson will be slightly better still. UPS will be here tomorrow so will let you know. Just my humble opinion and YMMV, but hope this helps nonetheless. Cheers to all!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND FINALLY.....

Just wanted to update you and the others who asked me to let them know about my decision regarding the projector shootout for my home theater. The final decision went in favor of the 6030UB, which did better in my set up.

Both fantastic machines, though, as is evident from my various posts regarding the comparison. The final determination was based on the fact that I was willing to live with about $700 more for the extras you get with the Epson, i.e., extra lamp, mount, and better warranty, plus better black levels, and (to me) better RF 3D.

In spite of that, I thought the "little" Sony was a real beast and hard to beat in its price class. Anyone who bought it at its sale price got a steal. So let's enjoy our machines and be amazed at the progress of technology that allows us to achieve the entertainment levels of our dreams at a price that is not beyond those dreams. Cheers to all.
climber07 likes this.
Rokker is offline  
Old 11-21-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokker View Post
I had both the hw40ES and the 6030 in my home theater for two-odd weeks so had a chance to compare. I picked the Epson and here are two separate posts with my thoughts, excerpted and reproduced from the HW40ES forum. Hopefully, you'll get some more viewpoints to consider in your decision-making, Viche - also relevant since the 6030 is very similar in performance to the 5030. Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....So far, my results aren't too far from yours. I really like the 2D picture from the Sony provided the RC is on. I have been aware of this trait with the Sonys so was expecting to see a difference in the sharpness with and without RC and hence, not as shocked as you. The Sony is bright, man! However, for my setup, maybe too bright - at least in 2D over the 6030 in best mode (Reference vs. THX).

However, I do see the black level advantage the 6030 provides, albeit with the aid of the iris. Mike is right - without the iris, blacks are very similar between the two and due to the brightness advantage of the HW40, there's a feeling of more punch. The picture is bright and vivid, almost akin to an LED TV in a retail store, except with much better and accurate color. And yes, the Epson's iris can be noisy at times during a movie, but it's nice to know that I have the option to dial it in when needed, which the HW40ES doesn't offer. I did use it while watching Alien last night, and with Super Resolution on 4, the black levels and the clarity were amazing. Thank you, DI and new firmware!

So, my take thus far? Excellent machines that'll do very nicely for the people who choose them. Gaming, OOTB color/skin tones/picture modes, and brightness - go Sony. Dynamic iris, OOTB RF 3D, greater placement flexibility, Darbee-esque clarity algorithm (new firmware almost equals new projector!) - opt for Epson.

Keep in mind also that I got the 6030, not 5030, for just a little more than the HW40's regular price. Therefore, I didn't even consider the 55ES for getting the iris, because it would've been more than the Epson, even at its current sale price.

So looks like I might end up keeping the 6030 after all. Just waiting to try out the 3D on the Sony, even if just for reference purposes. I expect it to be great honestly, but also am aware through the forums, reviews, and the insight provided by Mike, zombie10k, and other, that the Epson will be slightly better still. UPS will be here tomorrow so will let you know. Just my humble opinion and YMMV, but hope this helps nonetheless. Cheers to all!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND FINALLY.....

Just wanted to update you and the others who asked me to let them know about my decision regarding the projector shootout for my home theater. The final decision went in favor of the 6030UB, which did better in my set up.

Both fantastic machines, though, as is evident from my various posts regarding the comparison. The final determination was based on the fact that I was willing to live with about $700 more for the extras you get with the Epson, i.e., extra lamp, mount, and better warranty, plus better black levels, and (to me) better RF 3D.

In spite of that, I thought the "little" Sony was a real beast and hard to beat in its price class. Anyone who bought it at its sale price got a steal. So let's enjoy our machines and be amazed at the progress of technology that allows us to achieve the entertainment levels of our dreams at a price that is not beyond those dreams. Cheers to all.
I'm a current 6010 owner, I compared a HW40 and 5030 at my local Best Buy Magnolia tonight. I have heard things about the HW40 being less forgiving than the Epson on grainy sources and brought my own Jurassic Park Bluray to try on both. They were great and let me tinker settings on both projectors and boy did I tinker to try and bring out best image on both with Jurassic Park. For me, no matter what I tried on the HW40 I couldn't get the grain down to where I didn't find it objectionable on Jurassic Park. I was using Reference mode on the HW40 and did a lot of tweaking including putting Sharpness at 0, Reality Creation on but very low setting, had brightness lowered, etc. Same scenes on the 5030 and the grain was there but hardly noticeable at all. I really wish they had a cable/satellite connection to the projectors because I would have liked to see it on both to see how a less than optimal broadcast source would look on both but they don't have them wired for it. When I walked into the HW40 room they had one of the Matrix movies on Bluray on it and it looked fantastic. I had seen an HW40 before with a great quality Bluray and also fantastic. I am in the market to replace my 6010 and really wanted to go for the HW40 but after seeing the Jurassic Park comparison I'm too concerned about the grain issue and am going to go for the 5030. Maybe this info will give some looking at both projectors something to think about when demoing them to bring a less than perfect Bluray to see how each handle it vs. just looking at perfect quality Blurays when demoing. I really wish they had been wired for some form of broadcast TV which would be great to see too.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Hammer578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Get a HDMI 1.4 cable that will reach from the back of the projector to the display and troubleshoot that way. If the new cable works, then you have to run a new one through the walls.
Ha ha ha. Guess my wife had pushed the 2D/3D button on the remote. I didn't know that turned 3D off until you pushed it again. All good now. Thanks!
old corps and climber07 like this.
Hammer578 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
Member
 
jayteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
Ha ha ha. Guess my wife had pushed the 2D/3D button on the remote. I didn't know that turned 3D off until you pushed it again. All good now. Thanks!
sure..there ya go..blame it on your poor defenseless wife.. j/k glad you got it figured out.
jayteez is offline  
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
willieconway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I did a second calibration after having had my 5030UB for about a month. I wanted to give Cinema mode a shot but I had a lot of trouble getting gamma even close to what I wanted. Not sure what's going on but I just couldn't wrangle it into place. I may try again at some point, but instead I ended up fine-tuning THX which I had already dialed in pretty well earlier. Has anyone gotten good results with a Cinema calibration? If so, is there a trick to it that I'm missing?

Attached are my results with THX mode in Normal (i.e. low). I'm getting 15.5 fL which is plenty for me.

i1Display Pro
Calman 5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CMS_11222014.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	380313   Click image for larger version

Name:	GS_11222014.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	380321  

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Oppo 103D
willieconway is offline  
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I used Cinema mode as a starting point for my calibration (iDisplay Pro/ CalMan 5). I saw that in the default THX mode all the primaries were all under saturated. Cinema mode had a wide enough gamut so there was no problem. I should add though that I have a DVDO iScan Duo that I gives me an 11-point grayscale/gamma calibration. Using the Epson's Gamma system has always been tricky.
Kilgore is offline  
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
Member
 
jayteez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't a single clue of how to dial in the settings (gamma, etc)..I just use the highest brightness 3d mode. I even bought that Disney wow calibration disc and that was pretty much a waste of money..i am completely lost on how to calibrate this thing.
jayteez is offline  
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
willieconway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteez View Post
I haven't a single clue of how to dial in the settings (gamma, etc)..I just use the highest brightness 3d mode. I even bought that Disney wow calibration disc and that was pretty much a waste of money..i am completely lost on how to calibrate this thing.
The basics are fine out of the box, at least on the modes I've checked. Beyond that there really isn't anything you can do without a meter. If you do want to look into calibration, there's a wealth of info in this thread, especially in the stickies: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Oppo 103D
willieconway is offline  
Old Today, 02:35 AM
Member
 
anthonywoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For those who moved from the 8350 to the 5030, other than much better black levels, what would you say would be the biggest improvements moving to this projector?

Would there be any downside getting a Epson refurbished over a brand new one?

I would appreciate any input!!!
anthonywoy is online now  
 

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off