post #4231 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Could you please PM me info and a link for this mount? I am helping my cousin with his media room and I've talked him into the 5030UB. I'd like to be able to recommend a great mount for this PJ - particularly something that is hassle-free when we go to install. Thanks in advance...

Toby
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulcu View Post
I am also interested in the mount can I get a pm with ordering information
Sent.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Just wanted to say the mount is so worth the money. I had to use this mount as it was the only one that had an extension that was long enough to drop down through my drop ceiling. I wasn't to happy about spending a crap ton of money on a projector mount. Just the drop tube was 100 bucks shipped lol (needed 13 inches). But once I got the mount I was like WOW this thing is nice. Had been using a Monoprice universal mount for my Optoma HD25e that I upgraded from. So wish I had gotten one for my Optoma. Trying to level that thing with 3 mounting points was a nightmare. Once you get the mount and open up the box and get the parts in your hands you under stand that this is quality stuff and worth the money. Don't even try the universal, just the one switch release is so worth it. If you need to take it down to do a firmware update and swap a cable or something. Just flip one switch for the quick release and it's down. If I every upgrade again I will be ordering a Cheif mount to go with it.
What drop tube did you buy? None of the adjustable length drop tubes that go down to 13" are anywhere near $100.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4233 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
What drop tube did you buy? None of the adjustable length drop tubes that go down to 13" are anywhere near $100.
Not sure now which one it was now, but I just doubled checked it was 104 shipped. Might have been 80 something plus shipping. But a lot for just a pipe lol

post #4234 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I know there have been a few posts that sorta cover this question but I've been trying to comb though them but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I'm planning to do the firmware v111 maybe tonight. So far since I have gotten this PJ I've barely played around with settings. I honestly don't notice a big difference though in pj quality when I do mess around with the settings. I've set the FI to the max and don't see a huge diff. The super res thing is barely noticeable but I imagine that will change when I do the upgrade tot he firmware. Will other settings make more of a difference after the upgrade as well? I've upped the sharpness level and don't see a ton of difference there either. Now the fact that at the moment I'm just shinning this on a dark grey wall right now may play a role in what i'm seeing also.

I guess what I'm wanting to know is the only thing the firmware upgrade effect is the super res setting? And also what other settings do you guy's play with along with the super res to get the sharpest picture you can?

I'm hoping to get a screen by xmas but I'm probably going to be going the inexpensive rout. I don't really feel like doing a DIY screen so I was leaning towards a 120 or 135 inch Elite screen http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...=elite+screens
post #4235 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
The main reason I did the V111 firmware update was to see if it fixed the delayed-start high fan issue. It's too soon to say...

No longer too soon to say. I do think they probably changed something in the startup procedure, because the timing of the sequence of events (fan on, shutter open, EPSON logo visible) seems subtly different, and I had 9 normal starts in a row after updating the FW (much better than before). But the 10th start had a 30 second delay with high fan, so the issue is not fixed completely.

If my unit keeps showing much improved statistics then I'll be satisified and won't swap it. Then again maybe it's just random variation, or it's improving with age (as I was starting to suspect even before the FW update).
post #4236 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Not sure now which one it was now, but I just doubled checked it was 104 shipped. Might have been 80 something plus shipping. But a lot for just a pipe lol

That looks like a 12" to 18" adjustable. Those are around that price with shipping. The adjustable drop tubes are a lot more than the fixed length drop tubes. Try to buy a piece of heavy duty aluminum pipe and have it threaded on each end and a cut out in the side for wire access and paint it black. I bet it costs you more than what the Chief products cost. Yes you can buy a steel pipe and paint it black, but even those will cost almost as much as the fixed tube drops from Chief if you add in the cost for the can of paint and they will not have the cut out in the side for wire. That is without accounting for your time or the vehicle cost to go get the parts. Depending on vehicle, that is usually $.30 to $.50 per mile. People often do not think about that cost.

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 12-01-2014 at 01:05 PM.
post #4237 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all...
Still loving my Epson 5030ub I have up on a custom built 98" acoustically transparent screen by Jamestown at http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com

Anyway, I need some help with 3D... or just help understanding it and getting it working the best I can.

Months ago I had a PS3 hooked up to my Denon AVR (it is a newer model that does 3D, but exact model escapes me) and then that of course had the out going into the projector. I got curious one day and watched a 3D Netflix film called "Legends of Flight." The 3D was awesome and I enjoyed showing it to some friends. Now, fast forward several months and my wife still has never seen the projector do anything in 3D. So I was going to show her this Legends of Flight documentary on Netflix. I now have a PS4 and when I went to Netflix, I couldn't find Legends of Flight anymore... and even worse, it didn't even have a 3D section. I did some research and as of right now it looks like the PS4 doesn't do any netflix in 3D... kinda a bummer considering the price and how it is the latest console.

I didn't let the no 3D on the PS4 bother me as I also have a HTPC hooked up with a NVIDIA GTX 660 graphics card that is 3D capable. However, I don't know exactly how to set it up for 3D. It talks of screen size which I read somewhere once you want to set this lower than your actual screen. I also tried watching this Legends of Flight on youtube as it is in 1080p HD and 3D on there. However, nothing looked 3d about it. I tried side by side and it just looked exactly like that... side by side.

Anyone have any experience with setting up NVIDIA with their 5030ub?

Let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else.

Thanks,
Doug D.
post #4238 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

I have a HTPC and have played a digital rip of a 3d avatar. At first it didn't work for me either. I was hitting the 3d button on the remote and it would tell me that it wasn't supported. and if I just tried to play it showed the video but it was also just "side by side". For me I got it working by going into the menu and going manually into the 3d settings and setting the output to side by side. I'm not sure if that's what you said you did or not? For me that worked. I was able to watch avatar in 3d from a digital copy and it worked perfectly.

Hope that helps?
post #4239 of 4363 Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
I have a HTPC and have played a digital rip of a 3d avatar. At first it didn't work for me either. I was hitting the 3d button on the remote and it would tell me that it wasn't supported. and if I just tried to play it showed the video but it was also just "side by side". For me I got it working by going into the menu and going manually into the 3d settings and setting the output to side by side. I'm not sure if that's what you said you did or not? For me that worked. I was able to watch avatar in 3d from a digital copy and it worked perfectly.

Hope that helps?
Thanks! I think I might know what's up, but I will have to test it when I'm home... and I think you nailed it. I bet when I select the youtube video to be side by side, I do not have to tell my graphics card to be in 3d. I bet I just have to go to the projector like you said and select side by side.

The other solution would be to go ahead and enable stereoscopic in the NVIDIA settings on my HTPC and then on the youtube video select the HTML 5 stereo mode. The projector should auto detect that and work.

I'm not sure I'm thinking right, but that's what I have in my head right now... basically if I select side by side, then I don't have to tell the HTPC anything... just setup the projector to be side by side. However, if I tell the HTPC to enable the NVIDIA stereoscopic 3d, then I need to select that type of video on youtube and then set the projector to auto.

That make sense?

Thanks,
Doug D.
post #4240 of 4363 Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Any suggestion on the 3D glass? I need some cheap glasses for the kids. Would PS3 glass work? Thanks
post #4241 of 4363 Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

I planned to get a few pairs of these as a few people here have suggested them in previous threads. They are not rechargeable though but the price is good and people say they work great

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-51...iglink20246-20

You can get them at your local BB for 20 bucks according to BB's website also.
old corps likes this.
post #4242 of 4363 Old 12-03-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
I planned to get a few pairs of these as a few people here have suggested them in previous threads. They are not rechargeable though but the price is good and people say they work great

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-51...iglink20246-20

You can get them at your local BB for 20 bucks according to BB's website also.
I can confirm that the above Samsung glasses work GREAT with the 5030. I bought 6 pairs of them off of Amazon for the kids to use when they have friends over. I've watched an entire movie with a pair on and they are just as good as the EPSON glasses that come with the PJ (just not rechargable).
old corps and climber07 like this.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #4243 of 4363 Old 12-03-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I have a couple of pairs of those as well. They work wonderfully and they are even more comfortable for those that wear perscription glasses underneath.

post #4244 of 4363 Old 12-04-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung SSG-5150GB glass for Epson 5030UB?

I am seriously considering of buying the Epson 5030UB this Christmas season. I still have until end of Dec, to get it, before the free bulb incentive expires.

For 5030UB owners, who use Samsung SSG-5150GB glasses, can you please share your feedbacks how they perform, compared to the OEM Epson 3D glasses which cost so much more at $80. I need to buy 10 pairs, which would be a ton of $$$!

I saw some reviews of the SSG-5150GB on amazon. Few people said they work with 5030UB, but I like to know how much performance degradation would be compared to the Epson OEM glasses. If it is not much,I rather save much money with the Samsung SSG glasses.

Much thanks in advance!

Peter
post #4245 of 4363 Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have both. I personally like the Epson because they do better at blocking ambient light and are rechargeable. I really like the Samsung because they are cheap and the kids can use them. They actually hold up quite well.

Performance is the same from a pure 'through the lens' standpoint.
old corps likes this.
post #4246 of 4363 Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the 6030, which is virtually the same projector you are thinking of buying. Two pair of glasses came with it and I bought two of the Samsungs. The performance is the same, however, if you wear glasses, the Epsons fit a little better over them as they are bigger but the Samsungs will work. The one thing I do not like about the Samsung glasses is that they do not fold, rather, you have to break them down. This means you have to store them in a drawer whereas the Epson glasses fold and can be put in cases. As you know, the Epsons are usb charged while the Samsung require a battery. These points aside, for the price, the Samsung is the only way to go.

shortspark
post #4247 of 4363 Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Thanks rprice54 and milacqua for your prompt replies. How many batteries the Samsung glass require? 2? It's not clear on Amazon.

Since the batteries are not too expensive like from here, I would very likely go with the Samsung.

Also, how many hours the batteries last and how do you know if the batteries need to be replaced? The Amazon spec says, 70hrs of 3D viewing.

Last edited by etalkishere; 12-04-2014 at 02:22 PM.
post #4248 of 4363 Old 12-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Also, I will be sitting about ~12-14ft away from the projector screen (wall). The screen is ~120in, diag. Do you think I will experience any ghosting issue, using the Samsung glasses?
post #4249 of 4363 Old 12-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

I sit 13' from my 106" Carada and have no trouble with ghosting that I noticed while wearing the Samsung glasses. I must admit, however, that I have not used those glasses that much, going mostly with the Epsons because they fit over my eyeglasses a little better. In fact, I still have the original battery (they take one) in both Samsung glasses. I have no idea how long those batteries will last. If Amazon says 70 hrs. that is probably close. As I said before, the glasses that came with the Epson are usb charged so you don't have to worry about batteries but as you pointed out, the batteries these take are cheap. If you buy the 5030 in time to get the free glasses you will be happy with them. If after that you need a couple extra sets for the kids, I would suggest getting the Samsung and saving a few bucks.
old corps likes this.

shortspark
post #4250 of 4363 Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
New 5030 owner here-loving it. Appreciate the posts re. the Samsung glasses. I'll be picking up some. I personally have no problem with them not being usb chargeable. I've used glasses with batteries that had to be replaced with my Mits DLP TV & Epson 3010 and I actually prefer them. The batteries are cheap, you can replace them quickly and they last a LONG time. Also, the battery in the rechargeable ones WILL eventually die and then they go to recycling. JMHO

Ed
post #4251 of 4363 Old 12-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by etalkishere View Post
Also, I will be sitting about ~12-14ft away from the projector screen (wall). The screen is ~120in, diag. Do you think I will experience any ghosting issue, using the Samsung glasses?
I am the same distance using a 6030 and a 118" Carada and have no issues......
old corps likes this.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #4252 of 4363 Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone who purchased their 5030 from best buy received their replacement lamp? It's been more than a month since I sent the form to Epson, not heard from them yet.

My Home Theater Build: Geeky Talkies
post #4253 of 4363 Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince.nothing View Post
Has anyone who purchased their 5030 from best buy received their replacement lamp? It's been more than a month since I sent the form to Epson, not heard from them yet.
If you read the terms and conditions on the rebate form, you will see this:

"You should receive your lamp within 90 days from receipt of a properly completed claim."
post #4254 of 4363 Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Yea I just got mine off in the mail yesterday. I don't expect to get out till around feb.

Last edited by gec5741; 12-08-2014 at 07:46 AM.
post #4255 of 4363 Old 12-07-2014, 05:41 PM

I might have a total of 15 people watching our big 3D screen with Epson 5030UB, with 2 Epson 3D glasses (that come with the 5030UB projector) and 13 Samsung SSG5150GB 3D glasses. Is that an issue?

BTW, I took the plunge and ordered the 5030UB from ABT. My family, especially the kids, can't wait to have it come home and operational!

Are there any good kid movies that have amazing 3D effects that I should let the kids watch? I already bought these from Amazon...

- Avatar (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray/ DVD Combo Pack)
- 3D Safari Africa [Blu-ray]
- IMAX: Under the Sea 3D (Single-Disc Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray Combo)
- Jean-Michel Cousteau 3d Film Trilogy [Blu-ray]
post #4256 of 4363 Old 12-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by etalkishere View Post
I might have a total of 15 people watching our big 3D screen with Epson 5030UB, with 2 Epson 3D glasses (that come with the 5030UB projector) and 13 Samsung SSG5150GB 3D glasses. Is that an issue?

BTW, I took the plunge and ordered the 5030UB from ABT. My family, especially the kids, can't wait to have it come home and operational!

Are there any good kid movies that have amazing 3D effects that I should let the kids watch? I already bought these from Amazon...

- Avatar (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray/ DVD Combo Pack)
- 3D Safari Africa [Blu-ray]
- IMAX: Under the Sea 3D (Single-Disc Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray Combo)
- Jean-Michel Cousteau 3d Film Trilogy [Blu-ray]
I'd say any of the Pixar films (Toy Story, Monsters, Finding Nemo etc) would be good and if you ask me, even entertaining for the adults.

post #4257 of 4363 Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

For kids you got to get the Owl movie - Legends of the Guardians (The Owls of Ga'Hoole).

shortspark
post #4258 of 4363 Old 12-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
I sit 13' from my 106" Carada and have no trouble with ghosting that I noticed while wearing the Samsung glasses. I must admit, however, that I have not used those glasses that much, going mostly with the Epsons because they fit over my eyeglasses a little better. In fact, I still have the original battery (they take one) in both Samsung glasses. I have no idea how long those batteries will last. If Amazon says 70 hrs. that is probably close. As I said before, the glasses that came with the Epson are usb charged so you don't have to worry about batteries but as you pointed out, the batteries these take are cheap. If you buy the 5030 in time to get the free glasses you will be happy with them. If after that you need a couple extra sets for the kids, I would suggest getting the Samsung and saving a few bucks.
Despicable Me 2, Cars 2 and Wreck-It-Ralph are all phenomenal in 3D. Must haves IMO.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #4259 of 4363 Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Avatar is a must have for 3d but I guess that's not really a "kid" move. My kids love it though. I have to test out a few of the pixar movies with 3d Still. Maybe I'll grab a couple or see if I can rent some. On a side note I live near ABT and bought my 5030ub there. I love that store! I buy all my major purchases from them. They have outstanding customer service and will cut you deals when your spending a ton of money. I just got my PJ, AVR, 5 speakers, and a sub from them a few weeks ago.
post #4260 of 4363 Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How about any GOOD 3D movies for us adults?

I don't mean porn just not all computer-generated animation and pseudo-humans flying without wings stuff.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com