Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 146 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #4351 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 09:45 AM
Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
What throw distance and screen are you using? Dedicated HT room, light controlled?
Throw distance is about 14'. Screen is 120.4" 16:9 SeymourAV acoustically transparent retractable. Unfortunately it's not in a dedicated HT room (maybe someday if we build a house or move where their is a basement or something). Its in my living room with tan/brown walls and white ceiling. I only watch at night with all lights out, but still this projector is so bright and with a large screen it lights up the room pretty good. I can now see that a dedicated room with dark walls etc would help bring out the best in an image, at least black level/contrast wise. Its still pretty amazing though with some reflected light.
SBuger is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4352 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
milacqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboller86 View Post
Sorry to say but I have about 2.5x that movie collection.
Wow! You guys must collect every film that comes out. I read reviews and sometimes even go to an actual theater. If I like what I read or what I saw at the movie, I might buy it for my collection. But at $20 a pop ($30 for 3D), I have to be far more selective.

shortspark
milacqua is offline  
post #4353 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
Wow! You guys must collect every film that comes out. I read reviews and sometimes even go to an actual theater. If I like what I read or what I saw at the movie, I might buy it for my collection. But at $20 a pop ($30 for 3D), I have to be far more selective.
You can buy Blu rays months after they come out for under $10.00. Just have to be patient and wait. Gravity is $7.99 on Amazon for example.

I own less than 30 movies because I only buy those that I give 10/10 and can watch over and over again.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #4354 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
milacqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
"Patient and wait"? Nope, not me - can't do it, I'm not a well person!!

shortspark
milacqua is offline  
post #4355 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
gec5741's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chcago land area
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Question. I just noticed something on my 5030 and im not sure if its normal or not. If your looking directly at the lens. The vents on to left side there is one area where light gets through. Seems like all the other vent groovs do not. Seems werid and nust wanted to see if others are the same or something is funky with mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141219_171357_1419031938367.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	431497  
gec5741 is offline  
post #4356 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Question. I just noticed something on my 5030 and im not sure if its normal or not. If your looking directly at the lens. The vents on to left side there is one area where light gets through. Seems like all the other vent groovs do not. Seems werid and nust wanted to see if others are the same or something is funky with mine.
Mine is exactly the same. I don't find it to be an issue at all.
Kilgore is online now  
post #4357 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
You can buy Blu rays months after they come out for under $10.00. Just have to be patient and wait. Gravity is $7.99 on Amazon for example.

I own less than 30 movies because I only buy those that I give 10/10 and can watch over and over again.

I just finished cataloging my movies. 475. 1 is a DVD ( Team American ), 57 HD DVD's, and 417 Blu Rays. I guess you could say I like movies !

Anybody looking to get an Epson 5030 for themselves for Xmas, we have a couple in stock !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #4358 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
gec5741's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chcago land area
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Question. I just noticed something on my 5030 and im not sure if its normal or not. If your looking directly at the lens. The vents on to left side there is one area where light gets through. Seems like all the other vent groovs do not. Seems werid and nust wanted to see if others are the same or something is funky with mine.
Mine is exactly the same. I don't find it to be an issue at all.
Ok thanks. Just noticed it. Ive only has mine for a few weeks and took it down do to other messy work being done in the basement. Hooked it back up and saw that and got worried.

Last edited by gec5741; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.
gec5741 is offline  
post #4359 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Mine is exactly the same. I don't find it to be an issue at all.

Same here. No biggie.


Ed
old corps is offline  
post #4360 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 09:10 PM
Member
 
Eric McEntee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quick question - is anyone experiencing slight rings in bright scenes? Watched The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey tonight (started the marathon to go see the final film Monday), and I noticed in bright scenes - like when they are being chased by orcs and Radagast is a decoy, there are faint rings across the image.

You can see the faint rings in the sky in this sample moving right to left...

If I mess with focus it goes away a bit, so basically just wondering if anyone has experienced it - or if the projector is defective?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rings.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	431922  
Eric McEntee is online now  
post #4361 of 4370 Unread Today, 07:08 AM
Member
 
Schlemstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post
Quick question - is anyone experiencing slight rings in bright scenes? Watched The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey tonight (started the marathon to go see the final film Monday), and I noticed in bright scenes - like when they are being chased by orcs and Radagast is a decoy, there are faint rings across the image.

You can see the faint rings in the sky in this sample moving right to left...

If I mess with focus it goes away a bit, so basically just wondering if anyone has experienced it - or if the projector is defective?
That looks like a result of the screen door effect inherent in LCD projectors in my opinion.
Schlemstar is online now  
post #4362 of 4370 Unread Today, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post
Quick question - is anyone experiencing slight rings in bright scenes? Watched The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey tonight (started the marathon to go see the final film Monday), and I noticed in bright scenes - like when they are being chased by orcs and Radagast is a decoy, there are faint rings across the image.

You can see the faint rings in the sky in this sample moving right to left...

If I mess with focus it goes away a bit, so basically just wondering if anyone has experienced it - or if the projector is defective?
I've never seen anything like that in over 1200 hours on my 5030. Nor could I tolerate it. What settings are you using and what is your screen? Is it an acoustically transparent screen by any chance?
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #4363 of 4370 Unread Today, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Mine is exactly the same. I don't find it to be an issue at all.
Same here. It's normal.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #4364 of 4370 Unread Today, 09:29 AM
Member
 
Eric McEntee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I've never seen anything like that in over 1200 hours on my 5030. Nor could I tolerate it. What settings are you using and what is your screen? Is it an acoustically transparent screen by any chance?

This is a Mustang 1.0 gain screen - I know not the best, but never saw this with my old Sanyo Z2.

The 5030 has the latest firmware, is set to Super Resolution 2, Frame Interpolation Normal, and Fine.

If I switch to a playstation and have it in fast, no FI and Super Resolution off - I still see the same thing.
Eric McEntee is online now  
post #4365 of 4370 Unread Today, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlemstar View Post
That looks like a result of the screen door effect inherent in LCD projectors in my opinion.
I have never seen that on any LCD projector I have ever owned, and I have owned 5.
Kilgore is online now  
post #4366 of 4370 Unread Today, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post
This is a Mustang 1.0 gain screen - I know not the best, but never saw this with my old Sanyo Z2.

The 5030 has the latest firmware, is set to Super Resolution 2, Frame Interpolation Normal, and Fine.

If I switch to a playstation and have it in fast, no FI and Super Resolution off - I still see the same thing.
I would say that the PJ is possibly faulty then, sorry. Certainly in all of the hundreds of movies I have watched via my own 5030, I have never once seen anything like that. If you have the timecode for that scene, I would be happy to play it here and see if I see the same thing, but I am almost certain I haven't. I am fairly OCD about PQ and am sure I would have noticed it.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #4367 of 4370 Unread Today, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
WestCDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post
Quick question - is anyone experiencing slight rings in bright scenes? Watched The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey tonight (started the marathon to go see the final film Monday), and I noticed in bright scenes - like when they are being chased by orcs and Radagast is a decoy, there are faint rings across the image.

You can see the faint rings in the sky in this sample moving right to left...

If I mess with focus it goes away a bit, so basically just wondering if anyone has experienced it - or if the projector is defective?
Try hanging a white sheet in front of the screen, and see if you still see the same effect. Some screen textures do not work well with some projectors, and the combination can create visible artifacts like you are seeing.
Kilgore likes this.
WestCDA is online now  
post #4368 of 4370 Unread Today, 10:54 AM
Member
 
Eric McEntee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I would say that the PJ is possibly faulty then, sorry. Certainly in all of the hundreds of movies I have watched via my own 5030, I have never once seen anything like that. If you have the timecode for that scene, I would be happy to play it here and see if I see the same thing, but I am almost certain I haven't. I am fairly OCD about PQ and am sure I would have noticed it.

Thanks for being willing to check... This is at 1:20:35 or so in the extended edition of An Unexpected Journey. Any of the sky in that sequence does it for me.


@WestCDA - I'll give that a shot tonight. I hung a piece of printer paper in front of part of the scene and its hard to tell, but not sure I see it anymore. I'll get a sheet or poster board today and try again tonight.

I'd love it if it were just the screen texture - I really love this projector.
Eric McEntee is online now  
post #4369 of 4370 Unread Today, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 2260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post
Thanks for being willing to check... This is at 1:20:35 or so in the extended edition of An Unexpected Journey. Any of the sky in that sequence does it for me.
No problem. I will put that disc in before tonight's movie and check it for you. I will report back, but it will probably be tomorrow your time.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #4370 of 4370 Unread Today, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilgore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post
Thanks for being willing to check... This is at 1:20:35 or so in the extended edition of An Unexpected Journey. Any of the sky in that sequence does it for me.


@WestCDA - I'll give that a shot tonight. I hung a piece of printer paper in front of part of the scene and its hard to tell, but not sure I see it anymore. I'll get a sheet or poster board today and try again tonight.

I'd love it if it were just the screen texture - I really love this projector.
This was my first thought , actually. You've gone from the Sanyo Z2 (720p) to the 5030 (1080p). It's quite conceivable that the texture of the screen is being emphasized by the higher resolution. I've never seen anything like what you're experiencing on any of the LCD projectors I've ever owned.
Kilgore is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off