Forum Jump: 
post #4351 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
What throw distance and screen are you using? Dedicated HT room, light controlled?
Throw distance is about 14'. Screen is 120.4" 16:9 SeymourAV acoustically transparent retractable. Unfortunately it's not in a dedicated HT room (maybe someday if we build a house or move where their is a basement or something). Its in my living room with tan/brown walls and white ceiling. I only watch at night with all lights out, but still this projector is so bright and with a large screen it lights up the room pretty good. I can now see that a dedicated room with dark walls etc would help bring out the best in an image, at least black level/contrast wise. Its still pretty amazing though with some reflected light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboller86 View Post
Sorry to say but I have about 2.5x that movie collection.
Wow! You guys must collect every film that comes out. I read reviews and sometimes even go to an actual theater. If I like what I read or what I saw at the movie, I might buy it for my collection. But at $20 a pop ($30 for 3D), I have to be far more selective.

shortspark
post #4353 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
Wow! You guys must collect every film that comes out. I read reviews and sometimes even go to an actual theater. If I like what I read or what I saw at the movie, I might buy it for my collection. But at $20 a pop ($30 for 3D), I have to be far more selective.
You can buy Blu rays months after they come out for under $10.00. Just have to be patient and wait. Gravity is $7.99 on Amazon for example.

I own less than 30 movies because I only buy those that I give 10/10 and can watch over and over again.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #4354 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
"Patient and wait"? Nope, not me - can't do it, I'm not a well person!!

shortspark
post #4355 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Question. I just noticed something on my 5030 and im not sure if its normal or not. If your looking directly at the lens. The vents on to left side there is one area where light gets through. Seems like all the other vent groovs do not. Seems werid and nust wanted to see if others are the same or something is funky with mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141219_171357_1419031938367.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	431497  
post #4356 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Question. I just noticed something on my 5030 and im not sure if its normal or not. If your looking directly at the lens. The vents on to left side there is one area where light gets through. Seems like all the other vent groovs do not. Seems werid and nust wanted to see if others are the same or something is funky with mine.
Mine is exactly the same. I don't find it to be an issue at all.
post #4357 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
You can buy Blu rays months after they come out for under $10.00. Just have to be patient and wait. Gravity is $7.99 on Amazon for example.

I own less than 30 movies because I only buy those that I give 10/10 and can watch over and over again.

I just finished cataloging my movies. 475. 1 is a DVD ( Team American ), 57 HD DVD's, and 417 Blu Rays. I guess you could say I like movies !

Anybody looking to get an Epson 5030 for themselves for Xmas, we have a couple in stock !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4358 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Ok thanks. Just noticed it. Ive only has mine for a few weeks and took it down do to other messy work being done in the basement. Hooked it back up and saw that and got worried.

Last edited by gec5741; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.
post #4359 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Same here. No biggie.

Ed
post #4360 of 4370 Unread Yesterday, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quick question - is anyone experiencing slight rings in bright scenes? Watched The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey tonight (started the marathon to go see the final film Monday), and I noticed in bright scenes - like when they are being chased by orcs and Radagast is a decoy, there are faint rings across the image.

You can see the faint rings in the sky in this sample moving right to left...

If I mess with focus it goes away a bit, so basically just wondering if anyone has experienced it - or if the projector is defective?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rings.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	431922  
post #4361 of 4370 Unread Today, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post
Quick question - is anyone experiencing slight rings in bright scenes? Watched The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey tonight (started the marathon to go see the final film Monday), and I noticed in bright scenes - like when they are being chased by orcs and Radagast is a decoy, there are faint rings across the image.

If I mess with focus it goes away a bit, so basically just wondering if anyone has experienced it - or if the projector is defective?
That looks like a result of the screen door effect inherent in LCD projectors in my opinion.
post #4362 of 4370 Unread Today, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 2260
Quote:

I've never seen anything like that in over 1200 hours on my 5030. Nor could I tolerate it. What settings are you using and what is your screen? Is it an acoustically transparent screen by any chance?
post #4363 of 4370 Unread Today, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Same here. It's normal.
post #4364 of 4370 Unread Today, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I've never seen anything like that in over 1200 hours on my 5030. Nor could I tolerate it. What settings are you using and what is your screen? Is it an acoustically transparent screen by any chance?

This is a Mustang 1.0 gain screen - I know not the best, but never saw this with my old Sanyo Z2.

The 5030 has the latest firmware, is set to Super Resolution 2, Frame Interpolation Normal, and Fine.

If I switch to a playstation and have it in fast, no FI and Super Resolution off - I still see the same thing.
post #4365 of 4370 Unread Today, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlemstar View Post
That looks like a result of the screen door effect inherent in LCD projectors in my opinion.
I have never seen that on any LCD projector I have ever owned, and I have owned 5.
post #4366 of 4370 Unread Today, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This is a Mustang 1.0 gain screen - I know not the best, but never saw this with my old Sanyo Z2.

The 5030 has the latest firmware, is set to Super Resolution 2, Frame Interpolation Normal, and Fine.

If I switch to a playstation and have it in fast, no FI and Super Resolution off - I still see the same thing.
I would say that the PJ is possibly faulty then, sorry. Certainly in all of the hundreds of movies I have watched via my own 5030, I have never once seen anything like that. If you have the timecode for that scene, I would be happy to play it here and see if I see the same thing, but I am almost certain I haven't. I am fairly OCD about PQ and am sure I would have noticed it.
post #4367 of 4370 Unread Today, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Try hanging a white sheet in front of the screen, and see if you still see the same effect. Some screen textures do not work well with some projectors, and the combination can create visible artifacts like you are seeing.
Kilgore likes this.
post #4368 of 4370 Unread Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I would say that the PJ is possibly faulty then, sorry. Certainly in all of the hundreds of movies I have watched via my own 5030, I have never once seen anything like that. If you have the timecode for that scene, I would be happy to play it here and see if I see the same thing, but I am almost certain I haven't. I am fairly OCD about PQ and am sure I would have noticed it.

Thanks for being willing to check... This is at 1:20:35 or so in the extended edition of An Unexpected Journey. Any of the sky in that sequence does it for me.

@WestCDA - I'll give that a shot tonight. I hung a piece of printer paper in front of part of the scene and its hard to tell, but not sure I see it anymore. I'll get a sheet or poster board today and try again tonight.

I'd love it if it were just the screen texture - I really love this projector.
post #4369 of 4370 Unread Today, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for being willing to check... This is at 1:20:35 or so in the extended edition of An Unexpected Journey. Any of the sky in that sequence does it for me.
No problem. I will put that disc in before tonight's movie and check it for you. I will report back, but it will probably be tomorrow your time.
post #4370 of 4370 Unread Today, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@WestCDA - I'll give that a shot tonight. I hung a piece of printer paper in front of part of the scene and its hard to tell, but not sure I see it anymore. I'll get a sheet or poster board today and try again tonight.

I'd love it if it were just the screen texture - I really love this projector.
This was my first thought , actually. You've gone from the Sanyo Z2 (720p) to the 5030 (1080p). It's quite conceivable that the texture of the screen is being emphasized by the higher resolution. I've never seen anything like what you're experiencing on any of the LCD projectors I've ever owned.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page