Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 147 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #4381 of 4409 Unread 12-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks. I will be checking this one out...

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sterili...awer+organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
I have a multi-drawer cabinet as an end table next to my seats and sofa. I put both the Samsung glasses and the Epson glasses in one of the drawers I have dedicated for that purpose. They are all lined up in the drawer nice and neat and I take out as many as needed with no trouble at all.

I returned from Walmart just a few minutes ago and tried to get both the new Captain America and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Because the Walmart I go to is in a hick, rural area I should have known they would have neither movie in 3D, only blu ray. I guess I will just have to wait to make a trip to the big city. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Guardians in 3D, which I have heard is awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4409 Unread 12-21-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltonj View Post
Need help with sports. I have Dish, an Onkyo 3009, and 6030. When watching football with the camera panned out showing both teams, every player has a blur around them. When the camera is closeup, the picture is clear. Watching blu ray movies, regular TV, etc is perfect. I've tried a lot of different configurations. Dish outputs to 720p for example and/or FI at high, setting onkyo to 1080p, source, through, etc. Anyone else getting blur around players? I would imagine this holds true for hockey as well. Btw, I see the same thing via a ota module in my dish stb (722k) but a little better than broadcast. Suggestions?
I have found that often with HD football broadcasts in particular, I notice a lot of upconversion and sharpening going on in most of the shots. That would account for the blur you're talking about.
post #4383 of 4409 Unread 12-21-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltonj View Post
Need help with sports. I have Dish, an Onkyo 3009, and 6030. When watching football with the camera panned out showing both teams, every player has a blur around them. When the camera is closeup, the picture is clear. Watching blu ray movies, regular TV, etc is perfect. I've tried a lot of different configurations. Dish outputs to 720p for example and/or FI at high, setting onkyo to 1080p, source, through, etc. Anyone else getting blur around players? I would imagine this holds true for hockey as well. Btw, I see the same thing via a ota module in my dish stb (722k) but a little better than broadcast. Suggestions?
I have Direct TV and have never had these issues. I actually am blown away by football games. I don't have anything like FI etc on at all.
post #4384 of 4409 Unread 12-21-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Replaced my 5010 refurb with the 5030 refurb and it's quite nice, however, I am having problems with uniform focus. I can either get the center in focus or the sides. It is mounted in the same mount as the 5010 which did not have the issue. Anyone else have trouble getting the Epson to focus from edge to edge?

Robert Clark
post #4385 of 4409 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
Replaced my 5010 refurb with the 5030 refurb and it's quite nice, however, I am having problems with uniform focus. I can either get the center in focus or the sides. It is mounted in the same mount as the 5010 which did not have the issue. Anyone else have trouble getting the Epson to focus from edge to edge?
Sounds a little like convergence.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #4386 of 4409 Unread 12-22-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Talking Wow

Well just upgraded to the 5030 from a 8350 all I can say is WOW ! ! ! I went back and forth trying to decide whether or not to upgrade but with the free bulb and gift card offer decided to pull the trigger . I do believe its the best investment Ive made to my modest home theater . The picture just leaves me in awe even my girlfriend loves it . Ive watched Guardians of the Galaxy & Hugo in 3D and its even better than the theater to me . Also lucked out and sold my 8350 for 500.00 ( with an extra bulb ) to my GF's son who is just as excited as I am with my new projector . It sure is nice to be able to help someone enjoy this hobby as much as I do , plus with that money I bought a 96 in. Carada Criterion screen to Replace my homemade blackout cloth one .
So here's wishing Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all Hope yours is as much fun as mine will be !
old corps likes this.

Tom O.

post #4387 of 4409 Unread 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
I have Direct TV and have never had these issues. I actually am blown away by football games. I don't have anything like FI etc on at all.
Thanks, I'm wondering if this is Dish and the way they might manipulate the source.
post #4388 of 4409 Unread 12-22-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My Epson 5010 will be loud. However, not that negative once i switch the signal from any mode that does not vibrant with my case
Through a few things i read on the web .
post #4389 of 4409 Unread 12-23-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What are some good large 3d glasses? The ones that came with the projector are tiny on me. I can see the whole rim of the glasses and out side of the rim of the glasses and it really takes away from the 3d for me. Can you all recommend some that are larger ? Thanks

post #4390 of 4409 Unread 12-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post
Well just upgraded to the 5030 from a 8350 all I can say is WOW ! ! ! I went back and forth trying to decide whether or not to upgrade but with the free bulb and gift card offer decided to pull the trigger . I do believe its the best investment Ive made to my modest home theater . The picture just leaves me in awe even my girlfriend loves it . Ive watched Guardians of the Galaxy & Hugo in 3D and its even better than the theater to me . Also lucked out and sold my 8350 for 500.00 ( with an extra bulb ) to my GF's son who is just as excited as I am with my new projector . It sure is nice to be able to help someone enjoy this hobby as much as I do , plus with that money I bought a 96 in. Carada Criterion screen to Replace my homemade blackout cloth one .
So here's wishing Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all Hope yours is as much fun as mine will be !
Nice screen choice....

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #4391 of 4409 Unread 12-23-2014, 03:54 PM
DTI

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
What are some good large 3d glasses? The ones that came with the projector are tiny on me. I can see the whole rim of the glasses and out side of the rim of the glasses and it really takes away from the 3d for me. Can you all recommend some that are larger ? Thanks

curios about this to, maybe ones with no rim
post #4392 of 4409 Unread 12-23-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 618
All active glasses that I am aware of have rims. Some have more plastic lens vertically than others. I am sure others will suggest these to you. I just don't remember myself.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4393 of 4409 Unread 12-23-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post

Congratulations - enjoy your new and improved home theater !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4394 of 4409 Unread 12-23-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got this as my first projector (after running a couple of others), and so far really happy with it!

Couple of questions tho...

1) Is it possible to use eco lamp mode and thx color mode at the same time? It only gives me the option for normal and extra bright...how do I switch to eco mode?

2) How do I use the 'aspect' button? I would like to zoom in on some DVDs I have (which are non-anamorphic and not available in a better format). The 'zoom' and other aspects other than 'auto' are greyed out. How do I enable this feature?
post #4395 of 4409 Unread 12-23-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejfriis View Post
Got this as my first projector (after running a couple of others), and so far really happy with it!

Couple of questions tho...

1) Is it possible to use eco lamp mode and thx color mode at the same time? It only gives me the option for normal and extra bright...how do I switch to eco mode?

2) How do I use the 'aspect' button? I would like to zoom in on some DVDs I have (which are non-anamorphic and not available in a better format). The 'zoom' and other aspects other than 'auto' are greyed out. How do I enable this feature?

1) For some strange reason, the THX Mode lamp settings are named Normal and Extra Bright, as opposed to the way all the other modes are named (ECO and Normal). In THX mode, Normal = ECO and Extra Bright = Normal. If you set THX mode to Normal, that IS Eco. Why they did it like that, I don't know.

2) If you're using HDMI, the aspect is determined by the input signal from the source, so the other settings for the "aspect" button will be greyed out. If you were using component, the other settings would be available.
post #4396 of 4409 Unread 12-24-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just setup my new 5030UB and I am very impressed with the 3D but even more impressed by the major improvement over my old 8350 in 2D! The 8350 is a good projector in it's own right but WOW there is such a noticeable difference in the picture quality of the 5030UB. What sticks out the most is the contrast ratio differences with the 5030UB looking so much like high end HDTV's. The resolution "seems" like it is higher than the 8350 even though they have the same resolution. Yes, I know buying a projector that costs twice as much as another is not a fair comparison but the jump in performance is more then I expected... and of course I am thrilled with! Now I have to fill our the rebate form for the free extra bulb and I am all set until 4K projectors are in the price range of the 5030UB (which is probably 5-6 years out).
post #4397 of 4409 Unread 12-24-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Same question. Anyone? anyone??
post #4398 of 4409 Unread 12-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I was watching the second hobbit movie today to test out the diff between the glasses that came with the 5030 and the samsung glasses that have been recommended in this thread. I found that this blue ray seemed to have alot of "ghosting" I suppose it's called. Granted I'm watching on a dark wall at the moment. I ordered an elite sable frame cinewhite screen and was just wondering if that may make a difference with 3d performance? I was having a hard time watching it it was so bad in some sceens. Animated movies seemed better. Wondering if im missing something with the desolation of smaug or if this movie just has these issues?

Last edited by gec5741; 12-25-2014 at 09:52 PM.
post #4399 of 4409 Unread 12-26-2014, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Fan noise in THX color mode

I searched thru the threads and most folks say that the THX mode is "quiet"
In my case, if I mute the volume or during moments of silence during a movie, I can hear the fan noise (a light hum + hiss sound)
My projector is 3 feet above my head. Not sure if this is par for the course
post #4400 of 4409 Unread 12-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
YDesolation of Smaug does bring out some ghosting issues with certain scenes, yet looks incredible in others. It's a bluray where it will help to reduce the brightness of the glasses to medium, and perhaps low. Sometimes I have to adjust depth setting on that one as well.

Last edited by smithysmythe; 12-26-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Double post
post #4401 of 4409 Unread 12-26-2014, 08:12 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
I was watching the second hobbit movie today to test out the diff between the glasses that came with the 5030 and the samsung glasses that have been recommended in this thread. I found that this blue ray seemed to have alot of "ghosting" I suppose it's called. Granted I'm watching on a dark wall at the moment. I ordered an elite sable frame cinewhite screen and was just wondering if that may make a difference with 3d performance? I was having a hard time watching it it was so bad in some sceens. Animated movies seemed better. Wondering if im missing something with the desolation of smaug or if this movie just has these issues?
Desolation of Smaug does bring out some ghosting issues with certain scenes, yet looks incredible in others. It's a bluray where it will help to reduce the brightness of the glasses to medium, and perhaps low. Sometimes I have to adjust depth setting on that one as well.
post #4402 of 4409 Unread 12-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The screen you have coming has very good reviews so I am sure you will find every picture, including 3D, to be better than your wall. I can't tell you if it will reduce the "ghosting" you see but it probably will somewhat. I have the 6030ub shooting on a 106" Carada screen and do not notice this, either with the Epson glasses or the Samsung glasses. Keep in mind though that I am not the most critical viewer and unless something is very obvious I might have missed it. I have shown this movie a couple times in 3D and none of my guests have mentioned it either. Have you tried frame interpolation? That might help.

shortspark
post #4403 of 4409 Unread 12-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post
I searched thru the threads and most folks say that the THX mode is "quiet"
In my case, if I mute the volume or during moments of silence during a movie, I can hear the fan noise (a light hum + hiss sound)
My projector is 3 feet above my head. Not sure if this is par for the course
I have the same issue. I would rather here the fam on bright mode because it is consistent. The echo mode hums to the point it's more annoying than bright. Was thinking something may be up since everyone seems to say its silent.
post #4404 of 4409 Unread 12-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

I was wondering if I qas missing some 3d settings. Ill take a look and aee if I can find those and play around with it. Thanks!

Edit: I messed around and it seems better. Thank you! Question. What exactly is the depth setting for? Its hard to tell if there is much 3d effect change whith depth set to 0 or set to 10?

Last edited by gec5741; 12-26-2014 at 10:50 AM.
post #4405 of 4409 Unread 12-26-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer578 View Post
I have the same issue. I would rather here the fam on bright mode because it is consistent. The echo mode hums to the point it's more annoying than bright. Was thinking something may be up since everyone seems to say its silent.

You can run the fan in High Altitude) mode to get the higher fan speed while remaining in Econ mode. That's what I do. PJ is less than 3' above my head--I don't hear it all unless I'm not playing anything. MIGHT cause the lamp to last a bit longer as well keeping it cooler. JMHO

Ed
post #4406 of 4409 Unread Yesterday, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
You can run the fan in High Altitude) mode to get the higher fan speed while remaining in Econ mode. That's what I do. PJ is less than 3' above my head--I don't hear it all unless I'm not playing anything. MIGHT cause the lamp to last a bit longer as well keeping it cooler. JMHO

Ed
Great info! Thanks!
post #4407 of 4409 Unread Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Strange. Mine its pretty silent in eco mode. But mine is shelf mounted so maybe that is why.

I have a question regarding the panel alignment setting. Should that be turned on or left off? I couldn't really find much in the manual saying exactly what that does.
post #4408 of 4409 Unread Yesterday, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Strange. Mine its pretty silent in eco mode. But mine is shelf mounted so maybe that is why.

I have a question regarding the panel alignment setting. Should that be turned on or left off? I couldn't really find much in the manual saying exactly what that does.
If you don't have any convergence issues, you can just turn it off. You can use the Panel Alignment feature to correct convergence errors, and if you need you use it, you have to have it turned on at all times. My 5030UB was sharp as a tack right out of the box so I just have it turned off.
post #4409 of 4409 Unread Today, 12:12 PM

Liked: 16
Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

My 5030 just went back to Epson today. I have a dust blob. They're swapping it out for me. Hope the next one is as good as the one I sent them.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Elio
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com