Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 153 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4561 of 4576 Old Today, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 184
^ Sounds like the signal from the cable DVR is not HD, in which case it's normal that it doesn't fill the screen and there will be black bars at the sides. You should set up the PJ so the Blu-ray output fits the screen width.

Avoid watching non-HD TV at all costs .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4576 Old Today, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman270 View Post
Not sure if this is where I should post this but I believe most of you have experience with both involved items.

I have a OPPO 103D and an Epson 5030UBe. I also have a cable company DVR from Cox Cable. My problem, and I should state both items are new, is that when I optimize my PJ to fit my screen size(16:9 160"d) with the cable input and then change the input to watch a Blu Ray DVD on the OPPO the projected image is significantly wider (like 20+inches wider). If I optimized the DVD projected image and then switch to Cable it is considerably smaller. This does not happen when I am watching a regular HD TV. I'm sure there is a switch somewhere I need to toggle but would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

Additionally when chnging DVD formats say 1:85 to 2:35 there is no change in width only height which is what I expect.
Use the pattern button on the Epson remote to fill your screen. If the projected image is less it's due to some type of letter boxing from your source not filling the screen. It has nothing to do with your PJ.
post #4563 of 4576 Old Today, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman270 View Post
Not sure if this is where I should post this but I believe most of you have experience with both involved items.

I have a OPPO 103D and an Epson 5030UBe. I also have a cable company DVR from Cox Cable. My problem, and I should state both items are new, is that when I optimize my PJ to fit my screen size(16:9 160"d) with the cable input and then change the input to watch a Blu Ray DVD on the OPPO the projected image is significantly wider (like 20+inches wider). If I optimized the DVD projected image and then switch to Cable it is considerably smaller. This does not happen when I am watching a regular HD TV. I'm sure there is a switch somewhere I need to toggle but would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

Additionally when chnging DVD formats say 1:85 to 2:35 there is no change in width only height which is what I expect.
I know what you mean. This happens when I switch between my computer and cable. I don't believe there is much that could be done. I think the signal coming from the various networks is not always using 1920x1080 or 1280x720. I know the cable box is outputting 1080p (setting in the box and info from my AVR). I optimize my projected image using the built-in test pattern on the projector. This way I know I'm using every bit of space the projector has to offer me.
post #4564 of 4576 Old Today, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Does anyone game on this projector using a PS4? I read in reviews input lag is quite high but was wondering what peoples opinion was in real world use.

I have a Epson tw5500 (9500ub) and its around 45ms, i find this perfectly fine. Was going to go for the Sony 55(low input lag) but 3D is important to me and the fact epson got RF built in is swaying me, while the Sony seems pain to get rf emitter/glasses.
post #4565 of 4576 Old Today, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use this projector with my PS3 and it's fine. I set the processing mode to fast instead of fine. I mainly play FIFA and action/shooting games offline. From what I remember online shooters are where input lag is an issue?
post #4566 of 4576 Old Today, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does switching to fast processing make the image look worse? I do play online fps games though which is a concern
post #4567 of 4576 Old Today, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ Sounds like the signal from the cable DVR is not HD, in which case it's normal that it doesn't fill the screen and there will be black bars at the sides. You should set up the PJ so the Blu-ray output fits the screen width.

Avoid watching non-HD TV at all costs .
1080i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post
Use the pattern button on the Epson remote to fill your screen. If the projected image is less it's due to some type of letter boxing from your source not filling the screen. It has nothing to do with your PJ.
I will look at that. Seems like I remember another post talking about using all the pixels for best quality. I definately want to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradC View Post
I know what you mean. This happens when I switch between my computer and cable. I don't believe there is much that could be done. I think the signal coming from the various networks is not always using 1920x1080 or 1280x720. I know the cable box is outputting 1080p (setting in the box and info from my AVR). I optimize my projected image using the built-in test pattern on the projector. This way I know I'm using every bit of space the projector has to offer me.
Thanks. I'll be checking out the pattern button. I was wondering about that since I could see some lighted area on all sides that were not being used for the projected image.

Darkman in Pensacola FL
post #4568 of 4576 Old Today, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SuperRes usage with Darbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
As an additional data point, I have used a Darblett ever since getting my PJ and would not be without it. It makes a significant difference when set up optimally.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
You have to live with the Darbee for a couple weeks. Then take it out. Then wonder who smeared Vaseline on your lens.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
You may play around with it a bit more before you send it back. I use my darbee in addition to SR with new firmware on almost every movie. IMO with the right settings, it makes an already spectactular image even better. I've watched the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, X-men: Days of future past and Jack the Giant Slayer all in 3D several times over the last week or so. At times I can't hardly believe my eyes - its so good with the combination of SR and Darbee. The darbee does not make a night and day difference, but with the right settings in HD mode I really do think it squeezes out a little extra sharpness and detail. I couldn't be happier with of the image on this projector with the addition of the darbee! Also, I know this is a preference thing, but for 3D, I 've been using FI normal and seems to some how make the image even sharper and definitely easier on the eyes to watch. Avatar definitely benefits from this setting. I cant hardly watch some scenes with FI low and not get sick feeling from all the motion judder. I don't like FI normal at all though for 2D and leave it on low.

Here's one of my posts farther back in thread if your interested in my settings:

Post #: 4329 Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread
I, too, favor the combined effect of both Super Resolution (SR) and Darbee. Interesting, SBuger, to see that you're preferring lower Darbee settings with higher SR settings. I've not thought to experiment with changing the balance between the two technologies--I've owned my Darbee for much longer it's remained in a "set-it-and-forget-it" state of HiDef-45%.

@kbarnes701 & Kilgore, may I ask how you each settled on the ratio of Darbee/SuperRes settings in your respective systems? Did you see significant differences (or more/less artifacts) between lower Darbee/higher SR versus the opposite? The way I understand it, SR works on sharpening primarily in the 1-2 setting, then emphasizes Detail Enhancement in settings 3-5. I figured the Darbee is soley engineered to handle Detail Enhancement while SR would be better at sharpening, but curious if in your more extensive testing proves that teh balance might favor the opposite?
post #4569 of 4576 Old Today, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
Does switching to fast processing make the image look worse? I do play online fps games though which is a concern
I've actually not done an official comparison between fine and fast. I'm pretty sure FIFA 15 is only 720p on the PS3 so it might not be a good comparison with a shooter on the PS4. But if I have a chance tonight I'll test it out and see.
post #4570 of 4576 Old Today, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound76s View Post
@kbarnes701 & Kilgore, may I ask how you each settled on the ratio of Darbee/SuperRes settings in your respective systems? Did you see significant differences (or more/less artifacts) between lower Darbee/higher SR versus the opposite? The way I understand it, SR works on sharpening primarily in the 1-2 setting, then emphasizes Detail Enhancement in settings 3-5. I figured the Darbee is soley engineered to handle Detail Enhancement while SR would be better at sharpening, but curious if in your more extensive testing proves that teh balance might favor the opposite?

I used the sharpness pattern on the Spears & Munsil disc and dialed in the Epson's sharpness and SuperRes settings. I ended up with Sharpness at -4 (Standard mode) and SuperRes at 3. Thenpleased with that result, I put the Darbee on and ended up liking Hi-Def 40%. So that's where I left it.

NOTE: When I go to play XBOX 360, I put the Epson into Fast Mode because of the significant input lag on Fine. I then find I have to back the SuperRes back to 1, otherwise there are halos on everything. Then all is good. There is a "slight" PQ downgrade, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a complete non-issue.
post #4571 of 4576 Old Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
"Worse" is not the right word, as that makes the PQ in Fast Mode sound "bad".. As I mentioned above, there is a slight downgrade in potential picture quality when you go to Fast mode because all the video processing like Frame Interpolation and what not gets shut off. When I turn on Fast mode, I find I have lo actually LOWER the SuperRes control, otherwise everything is too sharpened.

If the picture quality in Fine Mode is a 10 out of 10, I would say in Fast Mode, it's a 9. Let others cry about the missing "1", I certainly don't.
post #4572 of 4576 Old Today, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What about this "Detail Enhancement" firmware update released back in November ? Have any of you downloaded this update and have you seen a real improvement in the sharpness of the picture because of it ? I am considering the 5030UB or the Sony VPL-HW40ES. Seems people that have compared the two say that the Sony has the sharper picture, and I was wondering if this update had closed the gap any on this. Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited by EManT2200; Today at 06:07 PM.
post #4573 of 4576 Old Today, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
What about this "Detail Enhancement" firmware update released back in November ? Have any of you downloaded this update and have you seen a real improvement in the sharpness of the picture because of it ? I am considering the 5030UB or the Sony VPL-HW40ES. Seems people that have compared the two say that the Sony has the sharper picture, and I was wondering if this update had closed the gap any on this. Thank you in advance for your time.

The firmware update absolutely greatly enhances both detail & sharpness. Makes the pq awesome. I'd hate to go without it.
The update is very is easy to do if you get one that doesn't have it but I believe they have started shipping them with it already done.

Ed
post #4574 of 4576 Old Today, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I received mine in the last week and it was installed. I don't have the experience to say what it looked like without but it truly amazing with it.

Darkman in Pensacola FL
post #4575 of 4576 Unread Today, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
You might find this updated review helpful:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...-vs-Epson-5030

"UPDATE 10/3/14: Since the initial publication of this review, the Epson 5030UB has received a firmware update that significantly changes its overall performance. As a result, the shootout below has been updated to reflect the Sony HW40ES's performance against the updated Epson 5030UB."
post #4576 of 4576 Unread Today, 08:16 PM

My biggest peeves on the Epson are the fan noise and iris noise. I can turn the iris off. I can't turn the fan off. That being said most times we can dim the lights near the screen and run the unit in eco mode which is pretty quiet. One of the drawbacks of the Sony for me is that it's black and our ceiling is white so it would stand out. Plus it came out 6 months AFTER I installed the Epson
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page