Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 166 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4951 of 4970 Unread 04-16-2015, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I couldn't get mine to align properly as well at first. The universal mount I used had so many adjustments for different projectors. So I decided to switch over to a RPMA168 custom mount (thanks from Mike@AVS), it was so much easier to align the projector with the screen. You have a static plate (no adjustable parts to play with) that the projector is screwed on to. Then that plate slides in to the mount. The mount and the plate are perfectly squared off. Adjust the mount accordingly. Done!
AV Science Sales 5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4970 Unread 04-16-2015, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I feel lucky that I went with a nice inexpensive shelf mount. I only had to mess with the controls on the projector for maybe 3 minutes till I got it near perfect. The controls are a bit touchy but for me it was relatively painless to get my image to fill my 135" screen almost exactly.
post #4953 of 4970 Unread 04-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just pulled the trigger and purchased this projector at local Best Buy. Feel like I got a great deal but they were sold out so they are shipping one to me. When they first fired the demo unit up I was not impressed. They had Avengers playing and it had lines and looked washed out on their older SI Black Diamond .8 Screen. I was concerned as I will be using a newer Black Diamond .8 gain zero edge. After the projector was on fro about 8 mins the color came to life. Is that normally about how long it takes? (I am guessing on the time as I was not watching the clock.)

They have on sale for 1999 plus I had a 10% movers coupon from the PO as we just moved. They also suggested I open a BB account and get another 10% back. Out the door for $1700.98 plus tax and I will get 10% back in best buy rewards. Very happy with that. This will be my first HT projector. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive!
post #4954 of 4970 Unread 04-20-2015, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysong View Post
When they first fired the demo unit up I was not impressed. They had Avengers playing and it had lines and looked washed out on their older SI Black Diamond .8 Screen. I was concerned as I will be using a newer Black Diamond .8 gain zero edge. After the projector was on fro about 8 mins the color came to life. Is that normally about how long it takes? (I am guessing on the time as I was not watching the clock.)
For mine, sometimes it takes a few minutes for the brightness and color to reach full potential. Other times only a few seconds. I'm guessing it likely depend on the room temperature and when the projector was last used. I'm in the habit now of turning on the home theater first thing when I go downstairs and then getting a beer, snack, whatever and by the time I do that the picture is awesome
old corps and jaysong like this.
post #4955 of 4970 Unread 04-20-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks. Great information. Knowing this I will not freakout the first time I fire up the projector.
post #4956 of 4970 Unread 04-20-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Just pulled the trigger and purchased this projector at local Best Buy. Feel like I got a great deal but they were sold out so they are shipping one to me. When they first fired the demo unit up I was not impressed. They had Avengers playing and it had lines and looked washed out on their older SI Black Diamond .8 Screen. I was concerned as I will be using a newer Black Diamond .8 gain zero edge. After the projector was on fro about 8 mins the color came to life. Is that normally about how long it takes? (I am guessing on the time as I was not watching the clock.)

They have on sale for 1999 plus I had a 10% movers coupon from the PO as we just moved. They also suggested I open a BB account and get another 10% back. Out the door for $1700.98 plus tax and I will get 10% back in best buy rewards. Very happy with that. This will be my first HT projector. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive!

Mine takes a few minutes but not as long as you guessed on the demo, more like 3 or 4 max.
You got a heck of a deal! You'll love it!

Ed
jaysong likes this.
post #4957 of 4970 Unread 04-21-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Yeah I'd say 5 minutes or less.

I like having the Harmony app on my phone, then I can fire it up from upstairs, and grab my food/drink and head down.
old corps and jaysong like this.
post #4958 of 4970 Unread 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I was updating to the Epson 5030, I currently have the Benq 1085 st with universal mount. Will my universal mount work for the Epson? If not any recommendations on mounts? Thanks.
post #4959 of 4970 Unread 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:

What size screen? I would not use the 0.8 gain, because calibrated, the 5030 is not bright enough to light up a very big screen. Especially since I like to use low lamp. I would have gone with the 1.4 gain material. On a 106" 16:9 screen that is 0.8 gain, you are looking at only 12 FL (calibrated lumens) using low lamp. High lamp (noisy) would give you around 17FL calibrated.
Fabio-RS likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4960 of 4970 Unread 04-23-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
What size screen? I would not use the 0.8 gain, because calibrated, the 5030 is not bright enough to light up a very big screen. Especially since I like to use low lamp. I would have gone with the 1.4 gain material. On a 106" 16:9 screen that is 0.8 gain, you are looking at only 12 FL (calibrated lumens) using low lamp. High lamp (noisy) would give you around 17FL calibrated.
Thank you for the information.

According to what you said, after calibrating I should wait for the glow that I would have with the original settings, will change considerably and would not be recommended to use a 0.8 screen ??

And if a 92 "screen? What is the best? Matte White High Contrast 1.1 or 0.8? Does the screen with 1.1 gain not lose in black?
post #4961 of 4970 Unread 04-23-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Increasing gain adds brightness to the image whether it's bright white or the darkest grey it can produce. But as you alluded to, as the lamp gets older, the .8 gain screen will seem pretty dark most likely. It'll push you to buy a new lamp more often. They dim considerably as they age. Using high lamp not only makes more noise, but ages the lamp more quickly, hence back to needing to buy one more frequently.

Also the further you place the projector from the screen, the darker the image becomes. So if you're going to use a fairly long throw relative to the screen size (farther from the screen), then you definitely will want a 1.0 gain or higher screen.
Fabio-RS likes this.
post #4962 of 4970 Unread 04-23-2015, 05:04 PM

110" Screen was new in the box for $1600 purchase from a business that bought for their board rm and then went a different route. Will get installed in two weeks. Hopefully it will work out. Mike, you have me bit concerned. Hopefully it will work out to our satisfaction. Thanks for the information.
Jayson
post #4963 of 4970 Unread 04-23-2015, 05:10 PM

Liked: 2
With the 5030UB, dont spend much time playing with settings at first. For me, the first 10 hours use I was wondering why it wasnt that great. Then over the next 10 hours it got noticeably better until the image was awesome.
Fabio-RS likes this.
post #4964 of 4970 Unread 04-23-2015, 05:15 PM

Liked: 2
If you are handy, make a mount. I used an aluminum plate and a nickle plated ceiling fan extension pole. Cost $17, looks clean and again - if you are handy - hangs dead straight with no need for adjustment.
post #4965 of 4970 Unread Yesterday, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought the 5030ub back in December and lately this, (see pic), seems to be getting worse. Does anybody know the issue? I hope this isn't common as I will probably have to contact Epson for an exchange. Also, I believe the red glow in corner is a dust blob?? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_232127.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	685009   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_232147.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	685017  

post #4966 of 4970 Unread Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Friends,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 5030. I have a totally light controlled home theater environment. I've spent a lot of time reading through the posts on this forum and have a question about a screen. I'm looking at a 124" screen, projector will be ceiling mounted about 16 feet away (directly above the viewing position) and centered on the screen. My question is in regards to pricing. Based upon the calculators, I should have a nice amount of light available from the projector to produce a great image. I originally was looking at one of new Stewart Cima based screens with a 1.1 gain. However, do I really need to spend 2k for a screen? Are there cheaper versions that would produce a fine picture with the metrics referenced above? And would you guys recommend a 1.5 gain instead? I just wanted to ensure, that with all the experience I see referenced here that I'm making the right decision not only with regard to a price point but the gain of the screen if relevant. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the input, I've learned so much from this forum..RT
post #4967 of 4970 Unread Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtindel View Post
Friends,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 5030. I have a totally light controlled home theater environment. I've spent a lot of time reading through the posts on this forum and have a question about a screen. I'm looking at a 124" screen, projector will be ceiling mounted about 16 feet away (directly above the viewing position) and centered on the screen. My question is in regards to pricing. Based upon the calculators, I should have a nice amount of light available from the projector to produce a great image. I originally was looking at one of new Stewart Cima based screens with a 1.1 gain. However, do I really need to spend 2k for a screen? Are there cheaper versions that would produce a fine picture with the metrics referenced above? And would you guys recommend a 1.5 gain instead? I just wanted to ensure, that with all the experience I see referenced here that I'm making the right decision not only with regard to a price point but the gain of the screen if relevant. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the input, I've learned so much from this forum..RT
If you haven't already, take a look at Jeff Meier's screen material report which influenced my choice of a Carada screen.
mbw23air likes this.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, Energy V-5.1s and a V-5.2C , NHT SuperZeros, Mirage Omni S10, Oppo 103D. Currently boxed up and for sale: Klipsch SW-450, NHT Absolute Center, Energy V-Mini-C
post #4968 of 4970 Unread Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What willieconway said! Jeff has calibrated two of my projectors. I own a Carada screen.

shortspark
post #4969 of 4970 Unread Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

How did you get the movers coupon to work as the first exclusion are projectors?
post #4970 of 4970 Unread Today, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks willieconway and milacqua, that's exactly what I needed..Carada looks like a great value and further reviews say the same thing. I couldn't do without this forum..thanks again! RT
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com