Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2015, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98 View Post
I'm on my 4th bulb in my 8350, and thinking about upgrading. This is looking pretty good on sale for $2k with an extra bulb. I think I can get $400-500 for my 8350 and two lamps for it would cost $500. So I'd be looking at an upgrade cost of $1k. I wish I had more time to decided if it's worth it, the sale ends tomorrow. Does anyone have input?

Definitely worth it.

I upgraded from the 8350 to the 5030 about 8 months ago. PQ is very noticeably better.

I paid 2200 w/ a free bulb, and would do it again. I sold my 8350 for 675 then, but I think prices have dropped since.

Last edited by garnuts; 07-18-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2015, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
Definitely worth it.

I upgraded from the 8350 to the 5030 about 8 months ago. PQ is very noticeably better.

I paid 2200 w/ a free bulb, and would do it again. I sold my 8350 for 675 then, but I think prices have dropped since.
5030 ordered, it'll be here tuesday! I posted my 8350 on craigslist for $600, with 2700 hours on the current bulb. I'll see what I get for offers. Now I need to find something to watch in 3D.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Mine does it too. It keeps changing for about 90 minutes. To avoid the worst I usually make sure to turn it on at least 30 minutes in advance.

To be honest I am nit-picking a bit. I doubt anyone but me would notice after having had it on for 5 minutes unless I show them the built-in pattern.
The focus thing has been driving me crazy a bit, then I spotted your post willieconway. I'm seeing the same thing happen. I had to leave the projector to warm up for at least 90-120mins before focusing. Then the next time I use it, it then takes another 90-120mins to get back into focus.

The thing is, before it gets to the 90-120min mark, the focus on 30-40% of the left hand side is a bit crappy, and you definitely notice it on text.

Is this normal to have to wait this long for the protector to warm up and settle? Or is something wrong with it? Any chance it will get better with more use, or not likely?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 269
^ Changing that much is not normal. I start watching within 5-10 mins of turning on the projector and don't have any issues with focus changing.
Kilgore likes this.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 5158 Post(s)
Liked: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ Changing that much is not normal. I start watching within 5-10 mins of turning on the projector and don't have any issues with focus changing.
Same here. I switch on 15 minutes before movie time, and the focus is totally stable during the movie.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yea that's strange. I normally don't turn my pj on till it's show time and by the time I have it up and running and plex functional or my BluRay disc in the PJ already looks pretty good. I just turn off the lights and were good. It probably does sharpen up as the movies get's going but I never notice a huge diff. And I'm pretty picky when it comes to image quality too especially with my streaming content.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Yea that's strange. I normally don't turn my pj on till it's show time and by the time I have it up and running and plex functional or my BluRay disc in the PJ already looks pretty good. I just turn off the lights and were good. It probably does sharpen up as the movies get's going but I never notice a huge diff. And I'm pretty picky when it comes to image quality too especially with my streaming content.
If you guys could test it out using the built in test pattern and let me know that would be great. As I have to decide if I am going to try and return the projector and the whole process is getting rather depressing. It has a been a long 4 months.

If you could put up the test pattern as soon as your projector is on and check all sides of the white lines to see if it is perfect focus, then recheck after projector has been on for an hour and see if you notice any difference.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
...If you could put up the test pattern as soon as your projector is on and check all sides of the white lines to see if it is perfect focus, then recheck after projector has been on for an hour and see if you notice any difference.

That's not really what you want to test. You might expect some change from the initial focus (checked as soon as the projector is on, which means it's still cold). What you should not expect is any change between the 10 minute mark and 1 hour. So never focus right after turning on, always wait a while (e.g. 10 mins, or a bit more to be safe) before you do it.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
That's not really what you want to test. You might expect some change from the initial focus (checked as soon as the projector is on, which means it's still cold). What you should not expect is any change between the 10 minute mark and 1 hour. So never focus right after turning on, always wait a while (e.g. 10 mins, or a bit more to be safe) before you do it.
Yep that's the problem. If I wait say 20 mins after turning it on, and then adjust the focus, 30 mins later it will be completely different if I check it again. The focus only seems stable after the projector has been on for at least 2 hours. After that if I set the focus it seems to remain stable.

If this isn't normal, then I guess I should be asking for a replacement?

Cheers,
Zolt
Old 07-20-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Defiinitely not normal. I would ask for a replacement.
Kilgore likes this.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Yep that's the problem. If I wait say 20 mins after turning it on, and then adjust the focus, 30 mins later it will be completely different if I check it again. The focus only seems stable after the projector has been on for at least 2 hours. After that if I set the focus it seems to remain stable.

If this isn't normal, then I guess I should be asking for a replacement?

Cheers,
Zolt
Is the focus way off when you recheck it? Just putting this out there, say you're watching something and you have the Super Resolution on at lets say three. If you turn it off the image can look soft and kind of out of focus because you're used to it with the super resolution. Are you making sure you're checking the focus with the same sharpness and super resolution settings? A lot of times when I switch between inputs on my receiver, the projector settings change.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I have an Tw9200 (80hrs on the bulb) that after about an hours viewing has started to display random white dots all over the screen (looks like static).

I took it to a technician and they couldn't find anything wrong, but replaced the motor. They said if it is still happening it's either a poor power source (power board) or HDMI cable.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? I am going to trouble shoot with the board and cables, but it sounds suss to me.

Thanks

Last edited by Dbuns; 07-21-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuns View Post
Hi all,

I have an Tw9200 (80hrs on the bulb) that after about an hours viewing has started to display random white dots all over the screen (looks like static).

I took it to a technician and they couldn't find anything wrong, but replaced the motor. They said if it is still happening it's either a poor power source (power board) or HDMI cable.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? I am going to trouble shoot with the board and cables, but it sounds suss to me.

Thanks
Did you call Epson?
Old 07-22-2015, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

I had something similar. I called them 'sparkles', especially showing against a dark background.

I replaced some hdmi cables and changed the configuration of my hdmi splitter and Darbee Darblet and that eliminated the sparkles.

Before configuration: (the sparkles did not begin appearing until many months of this set up)

AVR > 6' hdmi > Darblet > 6' hdmi > hdmi splitter >> 6' hdmi to TV & 35' hdmi to projector.

I replaced the three 6' hdmi cables and still had some sparkles but less than before. Then I put the Darblet after the splitter going only to the projector... and that fixed it.

Now: AVR > 6' hdmi > splitter > >6' to Darblet > 35' to PJ and the other split 6' to TV.

I'm not sure how much of my problem was the cables or the Darblet, but it's most likely the hdmi cables. I was also getting occasional 1-3 second random video disconnects going to the PJ with the first setup, and those stopped after placing the darblet after the hdmi splitter.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:23 AM

I called Epson and that's how I got in touch with the technician.
I tried another HDMI cable and it seemed to fix the problem. The only issue is that I now have a busted 15m HDMI cable that is run through the roof of a 2 story house. No idea if I can get it out, let alone run another one
Old 07-24-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Quote:
If you guys could test it out using the built in test pattern and let me know that would be great. As I have to decide if I am going to try and return the projector and the whole process is getting rather depressing. It has a been a long 4 months.

If you could put up the test pattern as soon as your projector is on and check all sides of the white lines to see if it is perfect focus, then recheck after projector has been on for an hour and see if you notice any difference.
Watching a movie is a lot different than watching a test pattern. A test pattern is designed to show any flaw in the image. Flaws that you see on the test pattern will never be seen during movie viewing, so guys watching movies will not notice if projector is not 100% fully focused.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I called Epson and that's how I got in touch with the technician.
I tried another HDMI cable and it seemed to fix the problem. The only issue is that I now have a busted 15m HDMI cable that is run through the roof of a 2 story house. No idea if I can get it out, let alone run another one
What you could try is to tie a strong, thin, string to the bad cable, and then pull the cable out. Then pull the new cable with string. If you don't think the first string is strong enough, pull it again with stronger string or thin rope. I've had to do this before, although it was only about 7m and not 15m of cable.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
what can people tell me about the picture quality improvement after that last firmware update

It it a noticeable difference ?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
what can people tell me about the picture quality improvement after that last firmware update It it a noticeable difference ?

There's no difference unless you turn on Super-Resolution, which is the main feature they enhanced. It's a kind of sharpening algorithm, but does a good job at a low setting of improving perceived image quality.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Watching a movie is a lot different than watching a test pattern. A test pattern is designed to show any flaw in the image. Flaws that you see on the test pattern will never be seen during movie viewing, so guys watching movies will not notice if projector is not 100% fully focused.
My case is different, because I need the subtitles. So the focus is very important.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
That might be the case for movies, though I would still argue the point that on reference level blu-rays you might notice.

Test patterns aside, I was noticing when using gaming consoles like the PS4 that the image wasn't in uniform focus. Especially on the menu system which is full of text and when playing games as well, as games have a very sharp image in most cases.

For a projector that has a $3,599 RRP in Australia, I do think it is fair to expect better.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Non-uniform focus is a different issue than focus drifting as the projector warms up. The screen may not be flat, or the projector not pointed dead straight at the screen. Both of these things mean the distance from lens to screen varies at different points in the picture, and so they can't all be in focus at the same time.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
^ Non-uniform focus is a different issue than focus drifting as the projector warms up. The screen may not be flat, or the projector not pointed dead straight at the screen. Both of these things mean the distance from lens to screen varies at different points in the picture, and so they can't all be in focus at the same time.
That was my initial thoughts as well. But I had a loaner 5030UB from the installers before I purchased the new one. The loaner did not focus drift, or have non-uniform focus when using the same projector mount and same projector screen.

Also, as mentioned previously, the new one did weird things, such as, be 50% out of focus 30 minutes after turning it on, then after 2 hours you could adjust it to get 95% uniform focus. I would assume behavior like that wouldn't be caused by the mount or screen?
Old 07-24-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That was my initial thoughts as well. But I had a loaner 5030UB from the installers before I purchased the new one. The loaner did not focus drift, or have non-uniform focus when using the same projector mount and same projector screen.

Then you definitely should ask Epson for a replacement. By all accounts they have very good support and shouldn't give you a hard time over it.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Exactly. When I turn my projector on, the image isn't dead center. But after 10-15 minutes, it is centered. I only know this because I'm obsessed with checking to see if it's center. I honestly probably wouldn't notice if I didn't check every day. Also, the lens shift slides a little out of place time to time. It's all part of the game.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 5158 Post(s)
Liked: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post
What you could try is to tie a strong, thin, string to the bad cable, and then pull the cable out. Then pull the new cable with string. If you don't think the first string is strong enough, pull it again with stronger string or thin rope. I've had to do this before, although it was only about 7m and not 15m of cable.
Fishing line with an enormous breaking strain would be a good choice I'd expect?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Everyone
I just bought my 5030ub and it will be here on Tuesday. I had a question about mounting it.

I have a 150" screen (diagnol) and would like to place this projector at about 20ft back (above my last row of seating). I am going to have the screen about 6" from the ceiling. Is there a recommended distance the projector needs to be from the ceiling? Also the calculator that everyone uses to measure throw distances has mine in the Red zone for this distance and this size. My room is completely dark. Can anyone comment on my decisions here?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 393
You won't need to worry about the screen or projector height. You'll be able to use the lens shift feature to place the image directly onto the screen. Just make sure that your PJ is positioned level to the floor and pointing directly across at the wall.

Hitting the 150" screen from 20' is certainly doable. I would recommend going 3 or 4 feet closer if you can to compensate for loss of lumens as the lamp ages. I think it's better to maximize lumen output overall. If you can manage it, you should try the PJ at different distances on the ground and then decide where to mount it. Again, using lens shift makes this easy.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
You won't need to worry about the screen or projector height. You'll be able to use the lens shift feature to place the image directly onto the screen. Just make sure that your PJ is positioned level to the floor and pointing directly across at the wall.

Hitting the 150" screen from 20' is certainly doable. I would recommend going 3 or 4 feet closer if you can to compensate for loss of lumens as the lamp ages. I think it's better to maximize lumen output overall. If you can manage it, you should try the PJ at different distances on the ground and then decide where to mount it. Again, using lens shift makes this easy.
I agree. Getting as close to the screen as possible will maximize your lumens. You should be okay with 20 feet if you are unable to get any closer due to aesthetics or mounting options. Especially if you are in a 100% light controlled room. The 5030 is a pretty bright projector.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Fishing line with an enormous breaking strain would be a good choice I'd expect?
My experience has been that fishing line is difficult to make a secure knot, because it's typically some sort of slippery poly-something or other - I'm not a fisherman, as you can probably tell

But if you can tie a knot with fishing line, that should work well too.

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector