Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 314Likes

post #5311 of 5664 Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I guess ill roll the dice and see what the next replacement does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5664 Old 11-19-2015, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have had my 9200W for around 18 months now, I have now got an image shimmer/Shake Ive tightened everthing up on the mount but got this annoying shake its on minor but it is off puttting to me. Any ideas anyone please?
post #5313 of 5664 Old 11-19-2015, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Evox View Post
I have had my 9200W for around 18 months now, I have now got an image shimmer/Shake Ive tightened everthing up on the mount but got this annoying shake its on minor but it is off puttting to me. Any ideas anyone please?
Is it always shaking? Mine shakes slightly when someone walks in a specific area of my kitchen which is a room over, or if someone hits my left wall in the living room. It doesn't mess the alignment of the projector and screen or anything. Fairly normal. The question you're asking would be for your specific mount, not the projector if I'm understanding you correctly. If you have a two story house and the projector is on the bottom floor, it will probably shake when people walk around above it.

Epson 5025ub Projector
Pioneer VSX-1123-K Receiver
SVS Prime Towers Front Left/Right
SVS Prime Center
Polk Audio TSI 100 Side/Rear Surrounds
Bic F12 Subwoofer x 3 (next upgrade)
post #5314 of 5664 Old 11-20-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdjnugz View Post
Is it always shaking? Mine shakes slightly when someone walks in a specific area of my kitchen which is a room over, or if someone hits my left wall in the living room. It doesn't mess the alignment of the projector and screen or anything. Fairly normal. The question you're asking would be for your specific mount, not the projector if I'm understanding you correctly. If you have a two story house and the projector is on the bottom floor, it will probably shake when people walk around above it.

Thanks for the response.
I should be more clear sorry! I live in a bungalolw so single story. the image constantly has a shimmer/shake more noticible on text. I have only just noticed this but it is annoying, it isnt noticble on movies, however I know its there.

I have everyhing going through my Pioneer LX87 amp, and stream everything through my Nas drives into Med1000. I never had this problem until the last few days.

I have sent colour mode to different settings to slow the fan down to see if that was the cause but it's made no difference.
post #5315 of 5664 Old 11-21-2015, 01:34 AM

Help? Please!

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
I should be more clear sorry! I live in a bungalolw so single story. the image constantly has a shimmer/shake more noticible on text. I have only just noticed this but it is annoying, it isnt noticble on movies, however I know its there.

I have everyhing going through my Pioneer LX87 amp, and stream everything through my Nas drives into Med1000. I never had this problem until the last few days.

I have sent colour mode to different settings to slow the fan down to see if that was the cause but it's made no difference.

Anyone!
post #5316 of 5664 Old 11-21-2015, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
You should plug a different video source (laptop maybe) directly and eliminate any chance of it being the AVR or your source. The idea is to make the setup as simple as can be for trouble shooting purposes and then add components back in one by one to narrow down the cause or combination of devices causing the issue. Good Luck.
post #5317 of 5664 Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey all. Anyone have an idea when the next generation to the 5030 will be out? Thanks. Considering upgrading but would like an idea when the next gen will be out. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5318 of 5664 Old 11-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone!
Just to 2nd what Jaysong wrote. Use a different input directly into the projector to rule out the receiver. Plug a DVD/Blueray player, Xbox, PlayStation, etc. directly into the projector, and see if the shimmer is still evident. If it still happens using several input directly, you know it's the projector. If you find that it really is the projector, it might be time to check out a repair facility. But it might be something else entirely.
post #5319 of 5664 Old 11-24-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
OEM bulb replacement question

Coming up on two years ownership of my 5030ub, and looking into replacing the bulb. This is my first projector and bulb replacement experience.

What is the difference between this $299 5030ub replacement bulb offered by Epson...

...versus any of the much less-expensive bulbs from online sellers shown here?

This price difference is significant, so wondering what I'm missing?
post #5320 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 6642 Post(s)
Liked: 4884
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound76s View Post
Coming up on two years ownership of my 5030ub, and looking into replacing the bulb. This is my first projector and bulb replacement experience.

What is the difference between this $299 5030ub replacement bulb offered by Epson...

One is a genuine lamp, made by a trusted manufacturer, under strict conditions of quality control and offered with the guarantee of the brand behind behind it. The other isn't. The cheap lamp could last half the time, it could have color aberrations, it could blow up, etc. There's a reason it's cheap.

I could post a similar post, showing your Epson PJ and a different PJ at a fraction of the cost. Would you say then that the cheaper PJ was as good as your Epson? Or a genuine alternative to it?
Kilgore and AlexanderDelarg like this.
post #5321 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
One is a genuine lamp, made by a trusted manufacturer, under strict conditions of quality control and offered with the guarantee of the brand behind behind it. The other isn't. The cheap lamp could last half the time, it could have color aberrations, it could blow up, etc. There's a reason it's cheap.

I could post a similar post, showing your Epson PJ and a different PJ at a fraction of the cost. Would you say then that the cheaper PJ was as good as your Epson? Or a genuine alternative to it?
Quote:

I'd say you get what you pay for with Epson lamps. I've read hundreds of reviews all over the Internet about the bargain lamps and how they are sub-par and last less than half as long for the most part.
Kilgore and AlexanderDelarg like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #5322 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Undoubtedly there ARE things you can save money on buying aftermarket parts. Some genuine parts you do pay just for the “label”. The HARD part is figuring out where you can save the money and where it’s not actually worth it.

I tried once several years by buying a cheap battery for my wife’s macbook, it lasted about 6 months and then puffed out so much it almost cracked the laptop. Learned that lesson.

My rule of thumb now is anything that ‘wears out’, you’re probably better off going with the genuine, I think projector light bulbs fall into this category.

post #5323 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razevents View Post
Hey all. Anyone have an idea when the next generation to the 5030 will be out? Thanks. Considering upgrading but would like an idea when the next gen will be out. Thx
I bought a 5030 about 4 months ago and I had the same question. The answer is, if there was a new model it would have been announced in September at CEDIA 2015. There WERE epson projectors announced there but AFAIK they were all "non 3d", 1920x1200 models. There was no "5040", I'm not sure if any compare to the 5030, i can't get my head around all the different models.

Secondly, and this is the reason I bought one before even knowing what was going to be announced at CEDIA, you can get very good deals on the 5030 at the moment, far below RRP. If a new model comes out, you won't get it anywhere for as cheap as you can get a 5030 right now.

Lastly, the advance of projectors for the last 2 or 3 models hasn't been "leaps and bounds", it's been a slow incremental improvement. A little bit better here and there, so even if a new model did come out, it will have just a couple of improvements on what is already a industry leading projector. It's not like the new model will have 4k for the same price.

If you can afford this projector now, there's no reason to wait, you won't be disappointed with this projector.
old corps likes this.

Last edited by vespine; 11-25-2015 at 04:54 PM.
post #5324 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespine View Post
I bought a 5030 about 4 months ago and I had the same question. The answer is, if there was a new model it would have been announced in September at CEDIA 2015. There WERE epson projectors announced there but AFAIK they were all "non 3d", 1920x1200 models. There was no "5040", I'm not sure if any compare to the 5030, i can't get my head around all the different models.

Secondly, and this is the reason I bought one before even knowing what was going to be announced at CEDIA, you can get very good deals on the 5030 at the moment, far below RRP. If a new model comes out, you won't get it anywhere for as cheap as you can get a 5030 right now.

Lastly, the advance of projectors for the last 2 or 3 models hasn't been "leaps and bounds", it's been a slow incremental improvement. A little bit better here and there, so even if a new model did come out, it will have just a couple of improvements on what is already a industry leading projector. It's not like the new model will have 4k for the same price.

If you can afford this projector now, there's no reason to wait, you won't be disappointed with this projector.

Thanks for that info. You hit the nail on the head on a few points. I think were 2-3 years away from native 4K to the masses and around 3k$ price point. We have hit the point of diminished returns on 1080. I have the 8350 and was very happy with it for years. 1999$ with free mounts bulbs etc right now. Can't beat that.

Can someone tell me if the 5030 has a vertical stretch mode for taking a 2.35 movie and vertically stretching it to the full 16:9 native height? This would allow me to run an anamorphic lens on it. Without that feature I'll need an outboard processor. Thanks for the help.

post #5325 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Can someone tell me if the 5030 has a vertical stretch mode for taking a 2.35 movie and vertically stretching it to the full 16:9 native height? This would allow me to run an anamorphic lens on it. Without that feature I'll need an outboard processor. Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately, no. The 6030 does, but the 5030 doesn't. You'd need a scalar like the Lumagen to do it...or a PC if you want to go that route.
post #5326 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Unfortunately, no. The 6030 does, but the 5030 doesn't. You'd need a scalar like the Lumagen to do it...or a PC if you want to go that route.

Thx. That's what I thought. Happy Thanksgiving all.

post #5327 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
This is one of the few distinguishing features between the 5030 and the 6030, the 6030 has this feature built in, the 5030 does not.
post #5328 of 5664 Old 11-25-2015, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

New owner of 5030ube ... could somebody point me to a post # for settings under cinema mode or thx that most people use on here...

also is firmware V111 the newest?

thanks guys.
post #5329 of 5664 Old 11-26-2015, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,

I just upgraded to TW-9200 and after 7 hours have a red spot which is only visable in dark scenes (see link). I guess its dust inside. Anyone had anything similar or a fix that doesn't invalidate warranty. I'd rather not send it back just for a bit of dust if possible especially so close to xmas!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5N2A9779.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1081402  
post #5330 of 5664 Old 11-26-2015, 11:36 AM

red dust blob

Hello,

I just upgraded to TW-9200 and after 7 hours have a red spot which is only visable in dark scenes (see link). I guess its dust inside. Anyone had anything similar or a fix that doesn't invalidate warranty. I'd rather not send it back just for a bit of dust if possible especially so close to xmas!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5N2A9779.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1081410  

Epson TW-9200,
Yamaha RX-773,
Q acoustics 3050 floor standers, 3090c centre,
Tannoy HTS 101 satelites + sub
post #5331 of 5664 Old 11-26-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You should just contact Epson. In theory, they send you a new one in just a couple of days if not faster.
post #5332 of 5664 Old 11-26-2015, 12:58 PM

Cheers man,,, Yeah I'm thinkin that too... Just bad luck I suppose. Seriously impressed with it though...

Epson TW-9200,
Yamaha RX-773,
post #5333 of 5664 Old 11-26-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin123 View Post
Hello,

New owner of 5030ube ... could somebody point me to a post # for settings under cinema mode or thx that most people use on here...

also is firmware V111 the newest?

thanks guys.
I'm only a relatively new owner too but my understanding from reading several reviews is that unlike with TVs which are calibrated to be "showroom" out of the box and NEED to be calibrated at home, this projector's THX/Cinema mode is pretty much "spot on," short of being professionally calibrated. Further, the individual variance between units would make a "use this setting" recommendation next to useless, because your unit would most likely require slightly different settings. Otherwise, someone could just calibrate one unit professional once and then sell just the settings they used.

I haven't touched most of the settings of cinema mode, I've played with the sharpness, super resolution and frame interpolation, but I think that's much more up to personal preference and what content you mostly watch.

If you aren't happy with the way it looks and want to try adjusting it there's this article which goes into quite a lot of detail about calibration

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...tion-settings/

Last edited by vespine; 11-26-2015 at 04:19 PM.
post #5334 of 5664 Old 11-27-2015, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespine View Post
This is one of the few distinguishing features between the 5030 and the 6030, the 6030 has this feature built in, the 5030 does not.
Just for the record, that is true in the USA but here in Europe the 5030 has the anamorphic stretch feature (but no THX mode). (It is called the 9200 in Europe not the 5030, but is, other than the features mentioned, the same unit). I guess someone at Epson thought us Brits (etc) would value the anamorphic stretch more than THX (they’re right in my case) but it's an odd decision nonetheless.
post #5335 of 5664 Old 11-27-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Just for the record, that is true in the USA but here in Europe the 5030 has the anamorphic stretch feature (but no THX mode). (It is called the 9200 in Europe not the 5030, but is, other than the features mentioned, the same unit). I guess someone at Epson thought us Brits (etc) would value the anamorphic stretch more than THX (they’re right in my case) but it's an odd decision nonetheless.
Yeah I though that odd too. Why not just add both features to US and Europe. Maybe THX costs more money worldwide? Incidentally can the THX settings be inputted into European models then? If so does anyone have the settings? Not that I'm unhappy with the colour as it seems more or less perfect in cinema , but just curious really...

Epson TW-9200,
Yamaha RX-773,
post #5336 of 5664 Old 11-27-2015, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemacca View Post
Yeah I though that odd too. Why not just add both features to US and Europe. Maybe THX costs more money worldwide? Incidentally can the THX settings be inputted into European models then? If so does anyone have the settings? Not that I'm unhappy with the colour as it seems more or less perfect in cinema , but just curious really...
IDK - I calibrate my PJ with Calman so haven't tried anything else.

I assume that THX license costs more the more countries you offer it in. Maybe they believe THX isn't so influential in Europe?
post #5337 of 5664 Old 11-27-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Interestingly, when I measured the default THX mode when I first got my 5030, I found that RGB were all undersaturated at 100%. That's why I always calibrate it using Cinema Mode.
post #5338 of 5664 Old 11-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi guys,

Is anyone here running a 5030 (or even 5020 or 5010) with a first row viewing distance of 1.0x the screen diagonal and, if so, can you comment on picture quality?
I am contemplating a first row with eye balls 12 feet (cannot be moved back) from a 140 inch diagonal screen and wondering if pixellation will be so bad that I will want a 4k projector for such a close viewing distance.
Any advice or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks.
post #5339 of 5664 Old 11-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post
Hi guys,

Is anyone here running a 5030 (or even 5020 or 5010) with a first row viewing distance of 1.0x the screen diagonal and, if so, can you comment on picture quality?
I am contemplating a first row with eye balls 12 feet (cannot be moved back) from a 140 inch diagonal screen and wondering if pixellation will be so bad that I will want a 4k projector for such a close viewing distance.

Thanks.
I have a 5030UB, sitting about 11 feet back from a 120" 1.1 gain screen. I don't notice any pixellation at all, and I'm very happy with the image quality. While I'm picky about the video quality, I'm by NO stretch a "videophile."

Jack

Last edited by CactusJack; 11-28-2015 at 06:47 PM.
post #5340 of 5664 Old 11-28-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks.
Got a 100" screen, sitting at 11 feet and I see screen door effect. Especially with 720p and lower resolution. Slightly noticeable at 1080p (but I see it).

With that being said, it doesn't bother me that much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page