Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 360Likes
post #5581 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtis_mcleskey View Post
After contacting epson about the motivation that popped up on my projector ( error in cinema filter please send to maintence). They have told me it's a hardware malfunction an I can either take it to a service center or have it replaced. The only thing if I have it replaces it's not being replaced with a brand new unit. It's a refurb. She said they test it and everything before yet send it out.

What would you guys do ?
I just got a replacement. No way to tell that it's not brand new, and it also happens to be more accurate out of the box than my previous unit.
Kilgore likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I just got a replacement. No way to tell that it's not brand new, and it also happens to be more accurate out of the box than my previous unit.
I'm not complai
post #5583 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I'm not complaining about the customer service. The lady was very nice and assured me the swap would perform just like my current one. I just know my luck lol. I don't wanna get a dud. She said if the exchange projector shows something not to my standards we can just do another swap. She told me most people prefer the swap method so you don't have to be without a projector very long.
post #5584 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not complaining about the customer service. The lady was very nice and assured me the swap would perform just like my current one. I just know my luck lol. I don't wanna get a dud. She said if the exchange projector shows something not to my standards we can just do another swap. She told me most people prefer the swap method so you don't have to be without a projector very long.
I'd go with the refurb unit instead of transforming your current unit into a refurb one (without, perhaps , the quality control of the official Epson repair service? ).
post #5585 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balinus View Post
I'd go with the refurb unit instead of transforming your current unit into a refurb one (without, perhaps , the quality control of the official Epson repair service? ).
Makes sense
post #5586 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I'd also go with the refurb. The way I see it there's a reasonable chance that one of the more common problems (e.g. flickering after ~500 hours) has been identified and fixed on it.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Onkyo TX-NR818, NHT Classic 3s, Classic ThreeC, SuperZero 2.1s, Mirage Omni S10, Oppo 103D. Currently boxed up: Denon 1713, Klipsch SW-450,
NHT Absolute Center, Energy Veritas 5.1s, 5.2C, V-Mini-C.
post #5587 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Makes sense
Ok. Refurb it is. I'm having lots of anxiety about this lol. Reminds me of when my optoma hd20s lamp exploded and shot a piece of glass over and broke the color wheel
post #5588 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balinus View Post
Hehehe! Give me us your impressions on the Sony when you get it!
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
What a bunch of crap. Good thing you can still return it through Amazon.
I'm glad I just returned it and didn't wait for Epson's response.
post #5589 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got off the phone with Epson regarding a "discolored" white field. What is odd about my situation is that my 5030 was pretty damn good up till about 135 hours and then after that the strange coloring decided to rear its ugly face (my 5030 has 143 hours on it). The left half of the screen was pinkish and the right half was mostly greenish with the far right being pinkish (does this make any sense). I watched a movie last night to see what it would be like and all I saw was the discoloration, especially in daylight scenes. The end credits showed the discoloration as well.

The weird part is that I put up a white field to see how bad it really is and proceeded to play with the settings. I switched the "power consumption" from "normal" to "extra bright", left it there for a bit then switched back to "normal". The discoloration disappeared. I would say it was back to what it was originally. My situation may be unique but with most of us using low lamp mode it may be worth a try to put it on high power for a minute or so then back to low power and see what the result is. Not sure if it will hold but I will find out tomorrow when I turn it back on. My situation may be bulb related. I may pull the bulb and have a look. In the meantime I am getting another projector from epson. Not sure what I will do but I will have to wait until I receive it and decide then.

I really do not want to give up my projector because the convergence is almost perfect right out of the box.
Will post if I find out anything else.
post #5590 of 5917 Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonbc1 View Post
The weird part is that I put up a white field to see how bad it really is and proceeded to play with the settings. I switched the "power consumption" from "normal" to "extra bright", left it there for a bit then switched back to "normal". The discoloration disappeared.
Huh...that's interesting. I might have to give that a try just to see what it does to my screen uniformity. Although, things aren't that bad for me, and now I'm a bit worried about messing them up if I run in high lamp mode for a bit.
post #5591 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Epson regarding a "discolored" white field. What is odd about my situation is that my 5030 was pretty damn good up till about 135 hours and then after that the strange coloring decided to rear its ugly face (my 5030 has 143 hours on it). The left half of the screen was pinkish and the right half was mostly greenish with the far right being pinkish (does this make any sense). I watched a movie last night to see what it would be like and all I saw was the discoloration, especially in daylight scenes. The end credits showed the discoloration as well.

The weird part is that I put up a white field to see how bad it really is and proceeded to play with the settings. I switched the "power consumption" from "normal" to "extra bright", left it there for a bit then switched back to "normal". The discoloration disappeared. I would say it was back to what it was originally. My situation may be unique but with most of us using low lamp mode it may be worth a try to put it on high power for a minute or so then back to low power and see what the result is. Not sure if it will hold but I will find out tomorrow when I turn it back on. My situation may be bulb related. I may pull the bulb and have a look. In the meantime I am getting another projector from epson. Not sure what I will do but I will have to wait until I receive it and decide then.

I really do not want to give up my projector because the convergence is almost perfect right out of the box.
Will post if I find out anything else.
That sounds exactly like what I experienced. The discoloration was in different parts of my screen, but it was just like you said: pink and greenish. I saw it in movies, and the end credits, too. I didn't try switching from high to low bulb settings. Hope Epson can get you taken care of!
post #5592 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 336
^ The bulb can definitely be the cause of non-uniformity — I've seen it on other projectors. Also there's no harm in trying high-lamp mode for a while to see if it improves things, and I'm going to try that myself as I now have a slight non-uniformity on my 5030 that wasn't there when it was new. I normally use low-lamp as it's plenty bright enough and much quieter.
post #5593 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ The bulb can definitely be the cause of non-uniformity — I've seen it on other projectors. Also there's no harm in trying high-lamp mode for a while to see if it improves things, and I'm going to try that myself as I now have a slight non-uniformity on my 5030 that wasn't there when it was new. I normally use low-lamp as it's plenty bright enough and much quieter.
I completely understand what's going on now. I was under the impression that the pink he was there in all bulb modes.

Lowering the bulb brightness changes its color temperature, hence, going from a brilliant blue-white to a softer red-orange or pink tint.

Most, if not all, projectors with a bulb will do this to some degree.
post #5594 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I completely understand what's going on now. I was under the impression that the pink he was there in all bulb modes.

Lowering the bulb brightness changes its color temperature, hence, going from a brilliant blue-white to a softer red-orange or pink tint.

Most, if not all, projectors with a bulb will do this to some degree.
Does calibration as the bulb age can remove this uniformity problem?
post #5595 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ That's not really what I mean. The uniformity can change as the bulb ages, and a period of high lamp mode can (if you're lucky) somehow even things out so that it's much improved when you go back to low lamp mode. I guess all this will be better when we get LED lamps in this price range, hopefully when I replace my 5030 in a few years.

^ And calibration of the 5030 won't remove non-uniformity, as you're just changing settings that affect the whole screen equally.
climber07 likes this.
post #5596 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^^ That's not really what I mean. The uniformity can change as the bulb ages, and a period of high lamp mode can (if you're lucky) somehow even things out so that it's much improved when you go back to low lamp mode. I guess all this will be better when we get LED lamps in this price range, hopefully when I replace my 5030 in a few years.

^ And calibration of the 5030 won't remove non-uniformity, as you're just changing settings that affect the whole screen equally.
Humm... Indeed. :-)
post #5597 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

So I got my Sony HW55 today, and guess what? I'm seeing the same issue. I couldn't get a picture to show it well, but what I see is a large central circle that looks greenish, and things get progressively more red/pink the closer I look to the screen edge. With a 60% gray pattern, this was very noticeable. See the attachment for a crude drawing.

I moved my meter around the screen, and it verified what I was seeing. The left side of the screen was a little redder than the center, while the right side was more red than both. I'm not sure if the center was really green, or it just appeared that way since it was surrounded by too much red. The left 1/4 or so of the screen measured 88% red, the center measured 85% and a good portion of the right side measured 92% red. Being new to projectors, maybe they all have this to some extent. To me, this is totally unacceptable for three grand. I can go spend that same money on a 4K TV, and it'll show a gray screen that's gray.

Anyway, sorry for venting, but at this point I've bought and returned two projectors due to whites looking pink, and also returned a few screens due to quality issues. Very frustrating. Maybe someday I will try a projector again, but for now, I'm going back to TVs. Good luck to the rest of you who've encountered this problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCREEN.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1183202  
post #5598 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
That sounds exactly like what I experienced. The discoloration was in different parts of my screen, but it was just like you said: pink and greenish. I saw it in movies, and the end credits, too. I didn't try switching from high to low bulb settings. Hope Epson can get you taken care of!
Epsons service has been pretty good and they have sent me another projector which i should receive either thursday or friday. I have my projector on and will leave it on till I go to bed which should be about 4 hours. I just checked a white field and it is starting to get bad again, so it looks like going to high lamp mode and back again may only be a temporary fix, like maybe a 2 hour fix. I will check again just before shutting the projector down. Hopefully the replacements convergence is at least as good as mine.
post #5599 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a shot that sort of shows what I mean above. I couldn't get it to exactly match what I see with my eyes, but you can see the poor uniformity. Is this sort of thing just inherent in LCD-based projectors? I've never had this issue with LCD TVs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMT_2091.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	1183218  
post #5600 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn, so I started researching TVs again, and all of them seem to have gray uniformity that isn't so hot. Maybe I just never paid attention to this in the past. Take a look here:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...een-effect-dse

Even the highest reviewed TV (an OLED, no less) shows this same issue.

Now I'm torn...should I just keep my PJ?
post #5601 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I think part of the reason you're noticing it more now is because there's so much more screen. Your entire field if vision is taken up with the pattern, and therefore it's easier to see. Both examples you've posted are considerably more extreme that what I'm seeing. Which of the two looked worse to you - the Epson or the Sony?
post #5602 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Damn, so I started researching TVs again, and all of them seem to have gray uniformity that isn't so hot. Maybe I just never paid attention to this in the past. Take a look here:

I can almost guarantee that you will never notice it when viewing content. I have a stuck pixel and can never find it when watching content even though it's very noticeable on a white screen.
post #5603 of 5917 Old 01-13-2016, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
I think part of the reason you're noticing it more now is because there's so much more screen. Your entire field if vision is taken up with the pattern, and therefore it's easier to see. Both examples you've posted are considerably more extreme that what I'm seeing. Which of the two looked worse to you - the Epson or the Sony?
I think the Epson was worse. I haven't noticed any problems with the Sony in actual content. In fact, it looks pretty darn good. One thing that helped seemed to be changing the color temp. The reviews say D65 is most accurate, but according to my meter, the D55 settings gets lower Delta e's, and it looks better to my eyes. The photo I posted probably exaggerates things a bit, as I was really trying to show the redness. After seeing how all new LCD/LED/OLED TVs show this same tendency (or much worse) on gray patters, it doesn't really make sense to downgrade.

Also, I noticed I was clipping whites above 234 at the default contrast of 90. I dropped it down to 81, and that may have helped a little with the pinkish areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I can almost guarantee that you will never notice it when viewing content. I have a stuck pixel and can never find it when watching content even though it's very noticeable on a white screen.
I think I'm OK. I had minor freakout before, but while just flipping through channels, things are looking great.
Bluescale likes this.

Last edited by milehighou; 01-13-2016 at 09:07 PM.
post #5604 of 5917 Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 PM

I just received my replacement projector (this is the second) and it will also be going back. Same issue except this time its the top 2/3 that is pinkish and bottom 1/3 greenish. Also with the projector focused, about 6 inches in all around the perimeter of the screen it is slightly out of focus and there is also some "ghosting" going on. This is pretty bad for a projector that cost $3200 including taxes in Canada. I think this may be my last Epson unless something changes.
I did however try something to see if it is in fact the bulb or the projector. I took my bulb out and put it in the replacement unit. When I turned on the replacement the pink and green was in the same areas as with the original bulb in the replacement unit. So it looks like it is the unit and not the bulb that is the problem. I still find it odd that when I put my unit in high lamp mode then back to low that it reduced the problem.

Last edited by vernonbc1; 01-14-2016 at 08:31 PM.
post #5605 of 5917 Old 01-15-2016, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Interesting. Thanks for the update.
post #5606 of 5917 Old 01-15-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just received my replacement projector (this is the second) and it will also be going back. Same issue except this time its the top 2/3 that is pinkish and bottom 1/3 greenish. Also with the projector focused, about 6 inches in all around the perimeter of the screen it is slightly out of focus and there is also some "ghosting" going on. This is pretty bad for a projector that cost $3200 including taxes in Canada. I think this may be my last Epson unless something changes.
I did however try something to see if it is in fact the bulb or the projector. I took my bulb out and put it in the replacement unit. When I turned on the replacement the pink and green was in the same areas as with the original bulb in the replacement unit. So it looks like it is the unit and not the bulb that is the problem. I still find it odd that when I put my unit in high lamp mode then back to low that it reduced the problem.
That's a bummer. I think this may be an issue with a lot of brands. I can see this on my Sony, too. I wouldn't say it's terrible, but I notice it on all white screens. I've only noticed it in actual content like those TV commercials that are super bright with text or logos on white backgrounds. I was also on the web last night using my PS4 connected to the PJ, and I could see pinkish and greenish tints on web pages.
post #5607 of 5917 Old 01-15-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's a bummer. I think this may be an issue with a lot of brands. I can see this on my Sony, too. I wouldn't say it's terrible, but I notice it on all white screens. I've only noticed it in actual content like those TV commercials that are super bright with text or logos on white backgrounds. I was also on the web last night using my PS4 connected to the PJ, and I could see pinkish and greenish tints on web pages.
You guys did take off the protective film, right? LOL Just kidding. I must either be lucky or going blind.
post #5608 of 5917 Old 01-15-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha

I tried browsing the web (which isn't something I'd normally use the PJ for) via my PS4's browser, and the pink and green tones were pretty noticeable on web pages with the typical white background. I contacted Sony support to see what they would say. I'm OK with it at this point, but if the problem gets worse, that's another story.
post #5609 of 5917 Old 01-15-2016, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Real Life

Quote:

Hi , was just wondering how movies look on your set up ? If they look OK why return it after all I don't know about you but I rarely watch test patterns .

Tom O.

post #5610 of 5917 Old 01-15-2016, 07:23 PM

Things are about to get even more weird. In an earlier post I had mentioned that I took the bulb out of my projector and put it in the replacement unit. After putting my bulb back into my unit, I turned on my projector and fired up the white field and WOW my image is almost perfect. Not sure what happened but I am sure happy about it. It is however a slight bit warmer on the left than it is on the right but I have to look at it for a few minutes to decide whether or not I am just seeing things. It is possible that the left is accurate and the right is slightly inaccurate but I can very much live with it. Now to see if it will hold. If it does not hold then I think I know what the issue may be.

When I removed the bulb and even when I replaced it, I noticed that there is a bit of movement of the entire assembly. If you grab the raised post that says "push" and wiggle it around you will notice a bit of movement of the bulb assembly and the part that it is attached to, including the little window that the bulb shines through. When I shined a flashlight on the little window, I noticed that it has some sort of optical coating on it as well as being textured. I am guessing that the bulbs alignment in relation to this window is changing a tiny bit causing some of us to have color issues.
I am by no means an expert when it comes to optics I just have a nasty habit of over thinking things.

If I remember correctly my HC1080, which is about 7 years old, had the bulb right up against the little window, keeping it squared up.
My 7 year old HC1080 had almost a perfectly uniform field. The only issue was a small 10" area that was slightly pink and never changed, even with a new bulb. You would think by now that Epson could get it perfect.

Hopefully this helps some you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread