Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 373Likes

post #5671 of 5975 Old 02-15-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsk View Post
So I am curious why Epson handles these issues so differently. Switching the lamp seems to be the solution, but maybe Epson in the US doesn't know that...
Or maybe it IS another issue altogether....
Interesting indeed. When I called tech support for my flickering issue in ECO, the support operator spoke directly to engineering and they told her it was a power supply problem. They told her that there were issues with some of the components in the power supply causing voltage fluctuations.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5975 Old 02-16-2016, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Interesting indeed. When I called tech support for my flickering issue in ECO, the support operator spoke directly to engineering and they told her it was a power supply problem. They told her that there were issues with some of the components in the power supply causing voltage fluctuations.
Same problem, two different solutions. My fluctuations are gone with the new lamp...
Maybe a bad lamp will stress the power supply into misbehaving, leading to a fawlty conclusion that the power supply is the problem when in fact it is the lamp...
post #5673 of 5975 Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 151
So reading the documentation, I realized the projector is 10bit capable. With that in mind, I thought about the new UHD blu rays being 10 bit. After going over the hdmi specs, I confirmed the 1.4 hdmi could pass 10bit 1080p. The question was, would the blu ray player be able to separate the data and send not just regular blu Ray quality (which I already knew it would), but enhance it with 10 bit. I contacted Samsung and they said the player would in fact do so.

The question is, how much of a difference in quality would 10bit color make on image quality, and is it worth the money to upgrade? Who is gonna be the first to test it

Epson 5030UB, 144" portable screen. See Build Thread HERE.
Klipsch HD Wireless System(2.0 currently) | 2 RP-140WM Bookshelves
65JS9500 Ex-Owner. Questions about the JS9500? Information Summary can be found HERE.
post #5674 of 5975 Old 02-17-2016, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cardinale View Post
So reading the documentation, I realized the projector is 10bit capable. With that in mind, I thought about the new UHD blu rays being 10 bit. After going over the hdmi specs, I confirmed the 1.4 hdmi could pass 10bit 1080p. The question was, would the blu ray player be able to separate the data and send not just regular blu Ray quality (which I already knew it would), but enhance it with 10 bit. I contacted Samsung and they said the player would in fact do so.

The question is, how much of a difference in quality would 10bit color make on image quality, and is it worth the money to upgrade? Who is gonna be the first to test it
The Samsung UHD BD Player Works great with the Epson 5030ub Projector. when downscaling from 4k to 1080p on youtube the clips have vibrant colors. The projector is displaying 12 bit in the info screen when set to deep color and YCbCr 444. I am using the HD fury Integral in the chain because I have an older Pioneer Receiver that only has 5.2 Lossless audio capability and I wanted to use one cable to the receiver out to my projector. Have watched Kingsman 4k BD and The Martian 4k BD both look colorful with a sharp and clean image. I am also able to use the Darble Darblet in the chain to add that little extra bump in image.
Nathan Cardinale likes this.
post #5675 of 5975 Old 02-18-2016, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Im looking for a new projector and was wondering if the 9200 is still getting the job done? Whats the difference between the 8200 and 9200? Also how does it go with the PS4 and PC for gaming?

Here is the room I am going to have it in. Im thinking 120"

post #5676 of 5975 Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
...Individual dust blobs don't usually get worse. It might even clear itself eventually, but then again you might get more over time.

My only visible dust blob just went away on its own, so it can happen. It was there for a few months, only noticable on a fade to black, but as of last night it's an ex-dust blob.
post #5677 of 5975 Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Almost an Epson 5030UB owner

I hope you don't mind that I'm a non-owner with questions to help me make a decision for buying this projector. I was almost ready to push the button on the Sony VPL-HW40ES, but after reading issues of non-uniform focusing issues, flickering lamps, and a possible issue with contrast/color deterioration associated with LCOS panels as they age (after just 500 hours!), I became hesitant. I am now looking at the Epson and want to ask users here how satisfied they are with it. Are there any significant issues to be aware of?

I have a dedicated basement theater with controlled lighting. My screen is 130 in. diagonal. The projector lens is 19 ft. away on a back shelf (with most of the unit hidden behind a wall.) and the lens is at the same height as the top edge of the screen. My first row of seats is about 10 to 12 ft, from the screen. I currently have a Studio Experience 13-HD 3-LCD projector, that seemed to be best in it's class in 2003. I still think it has an incredible picture, and only installed my first replacement bulb in it this last December! It works as good as new, but I want to upgrade now, and need an HDMI input. I essentially only watch 2D Blu-ray movies, and not into gaming or 3D content at this time.

I am sure to be blown away by the Epson. I don't notice screen door effect with the current projector and hope that the SD effect will not be noticeable for me. Also, since I have a darkened theater, I am expecting to use lamp on a lower brightness mode so that fan noise is minimized. I do worry about dust blobs Does that plague this projector? If, so is it possible to clean it out? Thanks for any advice you can give me or your experience with this projector over time.

Paul
post #5678 of 5975 Old 02-24-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bye Bye Sony HW40ES

In a nutshell: I recently upgraded and replaced my Epson 8700 for the Sony 40ES (I couldn't resist after reading so many positive reviews on the Sony).

There is no doubt about it: the Sony is a light cannon with incredible color reproduction and sharpness. However, the last three weeks have been a real roller coaster ride for me. The Sony is actually too bright for me, even in "low lamp mode." Forget the numbers, the Sony is BRIGHT! Maybe it has something to do with the LCoS system, but even my wife commented on how "in your face" certain scenes are. She even suggested that I should make the screen smaller.

Watching action movies on my 120" FireHawk screen caused heavy eye strain, especially from fast lateral movements which are full of judder and overly bright, out-of-focus images. Frame Interpolation, even with the "low" setting, has too much "Soap Opera" effect and is useless to me. It got to the point where I needed a trip to the eye doctor. He recommended I lay off things for a couple of days and my eyes calmed down. I then gave the projector another shot, but it was the same all over again, even after using a much lower contrast setting.

Many of the Sony owners are using various types of lens filters to deepen the blacks and tone down the brightness, but I can't see going that route.

I finally threw in the towel and shipped the unit back this morning. I'm expecting my Epson 8050 to be delivered on Friday. I really hope things will get back to normal for me.

Last edited by videonut; 02-24-2016 at 04:13 PM.
post #5679 of 5975 Old 02-24-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Folks, I'm upgrading from a BenQ W1070 to the 5030UB.
I realize I have purchased the "wrong" projector for Anamorph, but the deal is done.

With the BenQ, I set it up for my 2:40 screen so the 16:9 image fits height-wise within.
Then I use the vertical lens shift + zoom to fit the width for anamorphic movies.
Will that still be possible with the 5030UB?

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #5680 of 5975 Old 02-24-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetp View Post
I do worry about dust blobs Does that plague this projector? If, so is it possible to clean it out
I came across this while reading the thread. Maybe it'll help with your question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Try the [dusb blob removal] method outlined on this page. It's written for the 8350, but if you can carefully remove the cover off the 5030, the dust removal process is the same:

The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread

post #5681 of 5975 Old 02-24-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
Folks, I'm upgrading from a BenQ W1070 to the 5030UB. I realize I have purchased the "wrong" projector for Anamorph, but the deal is done.

With the BenQ, I set it up for my 2:40 screen so the 16:9 image fits height-wise within. Then I use the vertical lens shift + zoom to fit the width for anamorphic movies. Will that still be possible with the 5030UB?

Yes, with manual zoom and lens shift you can fill the width of the scope screen (unless you're too close to the screen and already at maximum zoom, which is unlikely). The lens shift is a bit fiddly as moving vertical shift affects the horizontal shift a bit, but it's quick after you get used to it. It should not need to be refocussed when you change zoom (mine doesn't).
CZ Eddie likes this.
post #5682 of 5975 Old 02-24-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Outstanding, thanks!
My BenQ focus does require re-focusing so if I lose that step but have to fiddle with horizontal, then I guess it all equals out.

post #5683 of 5975 Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks very much CZ! I will keep the instructions handy if I ever need them.
post #5684 of 5975 Old 02-26-2016, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to order the 5030UB, Oppo 103 This HDMI Cable in 25': http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AQJ30SX0INWVM

And this mount with a mounting plate and drop tube: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2NYACAJP9I1IY

I not convinced the Epson glasses are worth it but I'll probably order 2 more pairs

Just checking my choices with the experts who already have these items. Any possible issues I may have?

Thanks for any and all feedback.
post #5685 of 5975 Old 02-26-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to order the 5030UB, Oppo 103 This HDMI Cable in 25': http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AQJ30SX0INWVM

And this mount with a mounting plate and drop tube: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2NYACAJP9I1IY

I not convinced the Epson glasses are worth it but I'll probably order 2 more pairs

Just checking my choices with the experts who already have these items. Any possible issues I may have?

In my experience, the Panasonic 3D glasses work just as well. No compromises that I could see. Much cheaper and a little more comfortable.
post #5686 of 5975 Old 02-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Hi All,

I highly recommend Monoprice.com for the 25-foot HDMI. I ran two of these to my 5030 from my equipment rack and I love them. No problems in almost 3 years with either. Go thick when traveling that distance...

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #5687 of 5975 Old 02-27-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
In my experience, the Panasonic 3D glasses work just as well. No compromises that I could see. Much cheaper and a little more comfortable.

Thanks for the feedback. One thing I forgot to add is that the 3D glasses will need to go over regular glasses. Do you know if the Panasonic will do that?
post #5688 of 5975 Old 02-27-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
I highly recommend Monoprice.com for the 25-foot HDMI. I ran two of these to my 5030 from my equipment rack and I love them. No problems in almost 3 years with either. Go thick when traveling that distance...

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Thanks for the suggestion. Sound (no pun intended) advice on the cable. I have no direct experience with Monoprice but read great things. I'm thinking the pro version of the HDMI cable may be better? http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6103
post #5689 of 5975 Old 02-27-2016, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I sold some gear today and the meeting point was right near a Hifi shop in the city. I walked in as ya do for a sticky beak and I saw they had the 5030/9200 on display with oblivion playing. It looked good, it looked better than my old Benq 1080st but I could still see pixels at 2m on 120". Anyways thats not really important but I nearly bought it with the cash in my pocket from the stuff I sold. But I'm still stuck trying to work out if I need to have a PJ with a auto zoom function memory thingo? I've never had one before and I don't really understand it. I'm guessing the only other PJ's I could consider that are not bad for gaming are the sonys? I will be using 16:9 a bit with the PC & PS4 being hooked up a fair bit. but I do love the wide cinematic 21:9 and 235 etc. I guess I can live with it but what are people doing with the empty bars top and bottom? Are there any tricks to get rid of them like a mask?
post #5690 of 5975 Old 02-27-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ A 2.35:1 1 screen with enough black felt above and below to cover the black bars means you won't see any light there at all. Manual zooming between aspect ratios is quick as long as you can easily reach the controls (a rear shelf mount works well). For gaming the 5300 has quite a lot of lag except in game mode (I don't use game mode, but you're trading off picture quality for lower lag).
post #5691 of 5975 Old 02-27-2016, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
^ A 2.35:1 1 screen with enough black felt above and below to cover the black bars means you won't see any light there at all. Manual zooming between aspect ratios is quick as long as you can easily reach the controls (a rear shelf mount works well). For gaming the 5300 has quite a lot of lag except in game mode (I don't use game mode, but you're trading off picture quality for lower lag).
With frame interpolation off, the lag is really not noticeable.
post #5692 of 5975 Old 02-27-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ For sure frame interpolation (even on low) adds a lot of extra lag. I use it and have to add 140ms of audio delay in my receiver to keep the sound in sync (which means the total video delay with frame interpolation is closer to 180ms).
post #5693 of 5975 Old 02-27-2016, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. One thing I forgot to add is that the 3D glasses will need to go over regular glasses. Do you know if the Panasonic will do that?
I have both the glasses that come with the 5030UB and these Panasonic 3D glasses, and also wear prescription glasses. Both sets work OK over my eyeglasses; not "forget about 'em" comfortable, but they work. If the Epson glasses work for you, then the Panasonics should too.
post #5694 of 5975 Old 02-29-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
I sold some gear today and the meeting point was right near a Hifi shop in the city. I walked in as ya do for a sticky beak and I saw they had the 5030/9200 on display with oblivion playing. It looked good, it looked better than my old Benq 1080st but I could still see pixels at 2m on 120". Anyways thats not really important but I nearly bought it with the cash in my pocket from the stuff I sold. But I'm still stuck trying to work out if I need to have a PJ with a auto zoom function memory thingo? I've never had one before and I don't really understand it. I'm guessing the only other PJ's I could consider that are not bad for gaming are the sonys? I will be using 16:9 a bit with the PC & PS4 being hooked up a fair bit. but I do love the wide cinematic 21:9 and 235 etc. I guess I can live with it but what are people doing with the empty bars top and bottom? Are there any tricks to get rid of them like a mask?
Quote:
That's the common complaint amongst some gamers and most professional reviews...that image quality suffers in fast mode. It's the only thing preventing me from buying this projector. I've been waiting for Epson to launch a new model (Epson 5040?), but instead they focused on bright projectors for living rooms this past CES . I'm guessing they are working on a 4k projector and it's just not time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balinus View Post
With frame interpolation off, the lag is really not noticeable.
Even with interpolation off, in fine mode lag is "91 milliseconds of input lag, equivalent to five and a half frames of a 60fps signal." That's a lot for most serious gamers.
post #5695 of 5975 Old 02-29-2016, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Indeed, I must admit that my gaming situation is for Wii U's Mario Bros and cie. So, I guess that 90ms of lag is not a big deal in that respect.
post #5696 of 5975 Old 02-29-2016, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Good evening,

Please help me decide on a good wall-mount to get for my Epson 5030UB.

I'll be mounting it to end of the wall as seen below in the attached photo. The mounted projector will be facing the same direction as it currently does while sitting on the table - basically perpendicular to the mounting arm.

Mount in question: Peerless PRG Series PRG-EXB-W 12.6-Inch to 20.6-Inch Adjustable Projector Ceiling/Wall Mount Kit (black)

Will this mount work? Are there cheaper alternatives for my same orientation?

Projector basics:
Size(inches) (HxWxD): 6.2 x 18.3 x 15.5
Weight: 18.4 lbs

Note: i'm not mounting this directly above the brown couches because that'll reduce the throw distance too much. No bueno, I'm trying to maximize screen size.

Thanks in advanced!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160229_192316_resized - Copy.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1286993  
post #5697 of 5975 Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 AM

bump? Hoping to get something ordered soon to work on this weekend...

According to the reviews - this is too short - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_i...igLink-2470763

But it extends 24"...not sure if the reviewers were just doing something wrong, or am I missing something?
post #5698 of 5975 Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ You'd be better off mounting it right side up. There's more fan noise when used inverted.
jaydee77ca likes this.
post #5699 of 5975 Old 03-02-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
^ You'd be better off mounting it right side up. There's more fan noise when used inverted.
It'll still be hung upside down. I just meant that it'll be facing the same wall as it currently does.

I want to make sure that the mount I select is long enough to reach the mounting bracket across the projector length wise.

The Projector's FULL length is 18.3", the mount supposedly reaches anywhere between 16-24"inches - yet there are 3 reviewers who say it's not long enough for the 5030UB. I'm inclined to believe them, but then maybe they just happen to be 3 folks who didn't think to extend the arm fully.
post #5700 of 5975 Old 03-02-2016, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post
... yet there are 3 reviewers who say it's not long enough for the 5030UB. I'm inclined to believe them, but then maybe they just happen to be 3 folks who didn't think to extend the arm fully.

They are talking about the mounting arms that screw to the projector being too short, not the overall mount 'reach' from the base plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page