Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 376Likes
post #5851 of 6013 Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papote View Post
Thanks bud for the compliments.

Here is the data on the screen. It is an Elite Screen model VMAX106UWH2. Is a 106".

Here are the details off Amazon website.
106-inch Diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio. View Size: 52.0" H x 92.4" W. Overall Size: 66.0" H x 105.6" W. Black Case.Screen Material: MaxWhite FG, 1.1 Gain. Fiberglass backed, multi-layer weave, 180 degree wide viewing angle, fully black backed front projection screen with textured surface. 4K Ultra HD and Active 3D Projection Ready. GreenGuard GOLD Certified | UL 2818. Mildew resistant, and easy to clean with soap and water.Features a durable metal casing with synchronous motor that boasts quietness and low power consumption. Perfect for wall or ceiling installation.Includes Infrared (IR) and Radio Frequency (RF) remotes, detachable 3-way wall switch, built in 5-12V trigger input, and Cat5 cable.2 Year Manufacturer's Warranty

Bought it off Amazon for $360 a few years ago and I am finally finishing up the setup.
Now that it is operational, seeing my daughter's faces as they watch movies on it is worth every penny and I wonder why I didn't finished this sooner.

Screen is nice and covers all space I needed. When screen is rolled up is not seen as it goes in a housing that conceals it and a 50" lg LCD stays for normal viewing.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Guess it's either my eyes, your camera lens, or software scaling, cause I'd swear that's not a 16:9 screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6013 Old 05-30-2016, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Guess it's either my eyes, your camera lens, or software scaling, cause I'd swear that's not a 16:9 screen.
I wish you were right. Hahaha. It does look fantastic and 1080p content has barely any noticeable black bars.

What do you guys think is a good av receiver from thia generation, like 4 hdmi in switching, 1 or 2 hdmi out, Bluetooth, wifi, and all the new goodies ?

post #5853 of 6013 Old 06-01-2016, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papote View Post
I wish you were right. Hahaha. It does look fantastic and 1080p content has barely any noticeable black bars.
What do you guys think is a good av receiver from thia generation, like 4 hdmi in switching, 1 or 2 hdmi out, Bluetooth, wifi, and all the new goodies ?
I'm partial to Denon. I have an X4000 connected up to my 5030UB. I bought it from accessories4less for a few hundred off list, although it's a factory refurb. Same warranty as new.
The X4000 is a 7.2 receiver, 7 HDMI inputs (1 of those on the front) with 3 HDMI outputs. Twin sub outputs, Audyssey with SubEQ.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make..._f[]=DENON

Last edited by Nuke61; 06-01-2016 at 09:58 PM.

post #5854 of 6013 Old 06-02-2016, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 86
+1 for Denon and +1 for accessories4less.
post #5855 of 6013 Old 06-04-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Well, I just ordered a 5030UB; Arrives mid next week.

I realize I'm getting into this model towards the end of it's lifecycle, but I doubt any 4K offerings from Epson (if any this year) will be in the same price range as the 5030.

I can't wait to hook it up and try it out on my 106" setup.

Last edited by Number05; 06-04-2016 at 09:09 AM.
post #5856 of 6013 Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
Well, I just ordered a 5030UB; Arrives mid next week.

I realize I'm getting into this model towards the end of it's lifecycle, but I doubt any 4K offerings from Epson (if any this year) will be in the same price range as the 5030.

I can't wait to hook it up and try it out on my 106" setup.
I was in the same boat that you are. I was battling between the 5030UB and Sony VPL-HW40ES, as they were both about the same cost retail, and both at or near their end. So my options were to pick between those two, wait to see what other options are out there with new announcements this year, or save up more money and go with a JVC or something like that. The JVC was out simply due to cost. Additionally, not knowing what would be coming with this years models, I decided that I would be happy with either the Sony or Epson. That battle was hard, until I saw a refurbished 5030 for $400 less than brand new. That sealed it for me, and I couldn't be more pleased with the 5030UB. The picture quality of this projector is superb. I have no problems with it.
post #5857 of 6013 Old 06-10-2016, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on an issue with my Epson TW-8200w (same as 5030ub, as far as I can tell). If there is a more appropriate area of the forum to post this in, please let me know.

I bought the projector in Japan in September 2015. I have been largely pleased with it but a few issues have worried me a little: inability to make the centre of the image fully in focus, varying focus as projector warms up, and blue-ish patch in top-left quarter of screen when projecting light colours. From what I've read, the first two issues are somewhat normal (although I'd appreciate your opinion). Importantly, I assume these two are unlikely to get worse, since they're probably optical.

The top-left colour uniformity issue is slightly more concerning, as I wonder if it could get worse. It's not hugely noticeable while watching films unless there is a particularly uniform light-coloured scene. As there is only a year's warranty on the projector, I wanted to get some opinions about how normal/acceptable this issue is and whether it's likely to get worse.

I've attached a picture, in case it's useful. I should point out that I'm projecting onto a fairly glossy piece of paper at the moment (because I'm only in Japan temporarily), which is the cause of the yellowy patch to the right of centre. However, you will see the blue tint if you compare the top left corner to the top right.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0206.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1489297  
post #5858 of 6013 Old 06-10-2016, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by projam View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on an issue with my Epson TW-8200w (same as 5030ub, as far as I can tell). If there is a more appropriate area of the forum to post this in, please let me know.

I bought the projector in Japan in September 2015. I have been largely pleased with it but a few issues have worried me a little: inability to make the centre of the image fully in focus, varying focus as projector warms up, and blue-ish patch in top-left quarter of screen when projecting light colours. From what I've read, the first two issues are somewhat normal (although I'd appreciate your opinion). Importantly, I assume these two are unlikely to get worse, since they're probably optical.

The top-left colour uniformity issue is slightly more concerning, as I wonder if it could get worse. It's not hugely noticeable while watching films unless there is a particularly uniform light-coloured scene. As there is only a year's warranty on the projector, I wanted to get some opinions about how normal/acceptable this issue is and whether it's likely to get worse.

I've attached a picture, in case it's useful. I should point out that I'm projecting onto a fairly glossy piece of paper at the moment (because I'm only in Japan temporarily), which is the cause of the yellowy patch to the right of centre. However, you will see the blue tint if you compare the top left corner to the top right.

Thanks
Does the tint remain if you project onto a different material Or does anything affect it? It could be an issue with the LCD panel, but I'm not entirely sure. My first 5030UB had a blue semi-circle in the upper left that was warrantied out. My current one is seemingly flawless. If the tint remains regardless of what you're projecting onto and such, then you might want to contact Epson.
post #5859 of 6013 Old 06-11-2016, 01:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Blue band is exactly the problem I had with my 3020 that I just bought a 5030ub to fix.

See this thead:
Epson 3010 help fixing blue band on right side

If you go down that thread rabbit hole you willbfind some instructions on opening the projector and reseating lenses. I tried it, it was hard and didn't fix it, but maybe you will have better luck.

xnappo
post #5860 of 6013 Old 06-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Liked: 5
i have benq ht2050 and i use it on 4 meter white wall , the picture look abit washed out in this size so i wonder if i upgrade to either 5030 or something else

so please if you can answer some of my questions

1, if you had benq 1070 or 2050 befor , is there big different between 5030 and benq in quality in big size also the motion does 5030 give shattery motion?

2. why some members use Gray screen when 5030 offer deep back-level does it need improvement in contrast?

3, how the black level is look when you turn off auto iris

thamkw
post #5861 of 6013 Old 06-13-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I just purchased a 5030UB last week.

I'm needing to calibrate the various modes and wanted to use some other published settings the HT domain as created in past years for this model.

I tried to create an account on ProjectorReviews.com (in order to pay to receive these calibration settings), but for some odd reason my account is not creating properly.

Do anybody else here have another go-to site I could gleam this information from?

Thank you.
post #5862 of 6013 Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
I just purchased a 5030UB last week.

I'm needing to calibrate the various modes and wanted to use some other published settings the HT domain as created in past years for this model.

I tried to create an account on ProjectorReviews.com (in order to pay to receive these calibration settings), but for some odd reason my account is not creating properly.

Do anybody else here have another go-to site I could gleam this information from?

Thank you.
Don't bother. Unless you're going to actually calibrate (i.e. use a meter and patterns to adjust your unit to meet standards), just stick with THX mode. Chances are it's totally fine.

Do they really charge for settings arrived at on a different unit? That's crazy.
post #5863 of 6013 Old 06-14-2016, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Blue band is exactly the problem I had with my 3020 that I just bought a 5030ub to fix.

See this thead:
Epson 3010 help fixing blue band on right side

If you go down that thread rabbit hole you willbfind some instructions on opening the projector and reseating lenses. I tried it, it was hard and didn't fix it, but maybe you will have better luck.

xnappo
Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, the blue tint remains regardless of what I project onto. I may try the suggestion in the link above, but I'm chatting with dealer first to see if Epson will take a look at it.
post #5864 of 6013 Old 06-17-2016, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm buying a used Da-Lite electric screen and would like to use the trigger out on my 5030UB. Does anyone know what the voltage is 5 or 12V. Also, where I can purchase a trigger plug and wire? Thanks, Kerry
post #5865 of 6013 Old 06-19-2016, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 495
12 volts. You need a 3.5mm mono cable to plug into the projector, the screen side of the cable you will have to cut and strip the wires to go into the screens VPI (video projector interface).
post #5866 of 6013 Old 06-19-2016, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Probably should have initially posted this here in my 9200 thread

I have had a look at the projector calc which gives me different results to the Epson calc......so i'm wondering if i could get some advice from you guys on my mount distance.

The room is;
4.8m (15" 9') from screen to back wall
2.7m (8"8') from floor to celing

Should i be mounting the projecter right at the back?

Edit: 110inch screen size

Last edited by swarmski; 06-19-2016 at 11:53 PM.
post #5867 of 6013 Old 06-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Here's another image of non-uniformity. These things on LCD tend to skew toward either green or pink (in terms of what our eyes perceive). I can't quite remember which projector this was, but I believe it was either a Panasonic PT-AE7000 or a PT-AE8000U, but it's not my projector...

Going waaay back in this thread, I found this post. I had a Epson 5030UB last year and returned it due to the same issue. I tried a Sony and saw the same problem, which leads me to believe either I'm extremely unlucky, or this is just an inherent problem with LCD projectors.

What is the answer to this problem? Avoid LCD altogether? There is DLP, but that has the rainbow problem. I would like to try a projector again, but not if I'm going to run into these issues. Will LED projectors have this kind of problem once they become more mainstream?
post #5868 of 6013 Old 06-20-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Going waaay back in this thread, I found this post. I had a Epson 5030UB last year and returned it due to the same issue. I tried a Sony and saw the same problem, which leads me to believe either I'm extremely unlucky, or this is just an inherent problem with LCD projectors.

What is the answer to this problem? Avoid LCD altogether? There is DLP, but that has the rainbow problem. I would like to try a projector again, but not if I'm going to run into these issues. Will LED projectors have this kind of problem once they become more mainstream?
LCD projectors have color uniformity issues. All of them. It's the nature of LCD panels. Some are near unnoticeable, and some are unbearably bad. The Sonys are SXRD, not LCD. They are much better than LCD when it comes to uniformity, but not perfect. I've been using a Sony HW50ES for about 3 years now and you'd never notice the color uniformity minor issues unless you were EXTREMELY picky, and even then generally only when the screen is a solid color (e.g. white). You just have to pick your poison when it comes to this sort of technology.
post #5869 of 6013 Old 06-20-2016, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
LCD projectors have color uniformity issues. All of them. It's the nature of LCD panels. Some are near unnoticeable, and some are unbearably bad. The Sonys are SXRD, not LCD. They are much better than LCD when it comes to uniformity, but not perfect. I've been using a Sony HW50ES for about 3 years now and you'd never notice the color uniformity minor issues unless you were EXTREMELY picky, and even then generally only when the screen is a solid color (e.g. white). You just have to pick your poison when it comes to this sort of technology.
Thanks. That's a bummer, but then again, nothing's perfect. I had a Sony HW55, and I thought its uniformity was actually worse than the Epson. Maybe a I got a bad unit, though. Sony did end up replacing it. Still, once bitten, twice shy with Sony.
post #5870 of 6013 Old 06-20-2016, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Thanks. That's a bummer, but then again, nothing's perfect. I had a Sony HW55, and I thought its uniformity was actually worse than the Epson. Maybe a I got a bad unit, though. Sony did end up replacing it. Still, once bitten, twice shy with Sony.
Yeah. You likely got a bad one coupled by it being clear you're sensitive to this sort of thing (as I am). I've never seen a perfectly uniform projected image (even higher-end cinemas are bad!), but I'm pretty happy with my HW50. It's not perfect, but like I said - nothing is, and I've seen a LOT of projectors. Avoiding LCDs is generally recommended, though, as a first step.
post #5871 of 6013 Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kord555 View Post
i have benq ht2050 and i use it on 4 meter white wall , the picture look abit washed out in this size so i wonder if i upgrade to either 5030 or something else

1, if you had benq 1070 or 2050 befor , is there big different between 5030 and benq in quality in big size also the motion does 5030 give shattery motion?

2. why some members use Gray screen when 5030 offer deep back-level does it need improvement in contrast?

thamkw
I have thought about your 2nd question too - is a gray screen better for the 5030? If the room allows in some ambient light, will a gray screen help with the black levels?

The PJ seems very bright so I cant see needing a white screen for the gain?
post #5872 of 6013 Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krob3 View Post
I have thought about your 2nd question too - is a gray screen better for the 5030? If the room allows in some ambient light, will a gray screen help with the black levels?

The PJ seems very bright so I cant see needing a white screen for the gain?
Yes a gray screen will help prevent some washing out of the image when ambient light cannot be fully controlled or when a light is used in the room during a movie. The PJ is very bright and I have a gray screen, however, I use ECO with living room mode for movies. It works great during the day but can be a little bright at night. THX mode at night with complete light control is quite good on the gray screen too.
Krob3 likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #5873 of 6013 Old 06-22-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Yes a gray screen will help prevent some washing out of the image when ambient light cannot be fully controlled or when a light is used in the room during a movie. The PJ is very bright and I have a gray screen, however, I use ECO with living room mode for movies. It works great during the day but can be a little bright at night. THX mode at night with complete light control is quite good on the gray screen too.
I use gray in my setup and am quite pleased with it. I almost always run in ECO mode, mostly in the night. But it does well during the day (not a super bright room to begin with).
post #5874 of 6013 Old 06-22-2016, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I use gray in my setup and am quite pleased with it. I almost always run in ECO mode, mostly in the night. But it does well during the day (not a super bright room to begin with).
Excellent, info! It makes sense that a gray screen would look good with the PJ to enhance the blacks and provide great clarity.

Is your screen a 1.0 gain? I was looking at the Silver Ticket gray screen that is 1.0 gain. Its one of the cheaper options, but seems to get good reviews.
post #5875 of 6013 Old 06-22-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krob3 View Post
Excellent, info! It makes sense that a gray screen would look good with the PJ to enhance the blacks and provide great clarity.

Is your screen a 1.0 gain? I was looking at the Silver Ticket gray screen that is 1.0 gain. Its one of the cheaper options, but seems to get good reviews.
I have a Da-Lite screen. I was a particular case, as I wanted retractable screen and acoustically transparent. And I wanted it quick, so I kinda settled on the High Contrast Material since it was in stock at that time.

Anywho, it is (was) called "High Contrast Audio Vison" material. Their spec docs list it as 0.8 gain.
Krob3 likes this.
post #5876 of 6013 Old 06-23-2016, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kord555 View Post

3, how the black level is look when you turn off auto iris

thamkw
Had a 1070, the 5030 has better black levels, better motion, looks better at bigger projection sizes. Grey screen is not needed to enjoy the black levels on this projector. I turn auto iris off usually.
5030 has much better placement possibilities, the lens cover automatically shuts off and opens when you turn on/off the unit, I also found that focusing with the 5030 is child's play.
If you care about rainbow effects then 5030 is your choice.
Krob3 likes this.
post #5877 of 6013 Old 07-06-2016, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Since I got my 5030UB last year, I've been occasionally checking the light output to see how the lamp falls off over time. What I've found is kinda odd. For about the first 450 hours I didn't see any measurable drop in light output. Then when it hit about 500 hours, the lamp had suddenly dropped about 15%.

I'll keeping monitoring and see where it goes. Not sure if it's going to continue to decline or stabilize.
Krob3 likes this.
post #5878 of 6013 Old 07-15-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi everyone, I tested the 9200 against the new Sony 45ES and decided to go with the Epson. It was installed yesterday and I could not be happier. The picture is incredible. It's quiet, blacks are super impressive.

Didn't change too much with the settings, THX was pretty much bang-on straight out of the box. Did a bit of testing with Spears and Munsil but I'll have to go back and play around some more.

The screen is an Indigo 120" acoustically transparent fixed screen and I'm using an Oppo BDP-103. Centre speaker behind the screen is a Q-Acoustics in-wall to match with my Q-Acoustics floor standing fronts.

Oh, and I should also mention that gaming lag was completely non-existent. Played some Titanfall and it worked absolutely fine. Much has been said about the Sony 45ES and it's lower lag time for gaming but really? I can assure everyone the Epson does just fine in the gaming department.

Enjoy the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3059.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1548225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3060.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1548233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg