Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 384Likes

post #6031 of 6067 Old 04-09-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6603 Post(s)
Liked: 4293
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintblues View Post
helppp

Hi,

ive had my Epson 5030ub for about 3 years. was running fine until last week.
I purchased this projector new as part of my home theater build. As of today it had about 4200 hours on it (original bulb). I had just bought a new bulb as i knew it was going to be requiring a replacement soon. It's been working perfectly for the time ive owned it, until a week ago where it simply died. This is what happened:

The error occurred like this:
1. I pushed the standby button twice as normal on the remote to turnoff the projector after watching for about 2 hours.
2. Suddenly i heard something inside the projector rumble really loudly, a sound i had never heard before. It was not the sound of the auto iris adjusting as ive heard that many times. it was a different noise. Then the temp light started flashing bright red and status light blue and simultaneously the fan went to overdrive and started blowing air like crazy. (im not sure if i heard a little pop sound in the moment but maybe there was maybe there wasn't).
3. The projector then turned itself off after about 20 seconds etc.
4. I switched it off from the power assuming it would be okay the next morning and probably that it just needed a replacement bulb which i knew was needing to be changed. So i went to sleep.
5. next morning i found one my fuse in my house was tripped however the surge protector i had the projector plugged into was fine. i turned on the fuse and I then went to turn the projector on from the remote and then this --->
"power light" remains off, all i was getting was a flashing orange "lamp light" and a flashing blue "status light" which according to the manual indicates an internal error / malfunction with the projector (contact epson for help). The unit is powered but nothing at all happens. The projector will not turn on.
6. i tried the new bulb just to see if that was the issue but no help there. so its definitely not a bulb issue.

i rang EPSON who forwarded me onto one of their repairers who is telling me that the entire optical engine and mainboard needs to be replaced and that i am looking in the "thousands" to get it fixed. He says there isnt any issue with the power supply etc.

I am out of warranty but this is a catastrophic major failure, what are my chances regarding getting any help from EPSON? I mean i dont want to pay thousands to get this fixed and neither do i want to take out thousands of more dollars to buy an entirely new projector.

has any owners of the Epson 5010, 5020, 5025, 5030 or even 5040 owners know anything about this? Please help
No way I would put a bunch of money into that projector. I would look at a B-stock RS400 first.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6067 Old 04-10-2017, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Dears,

Please, I really need your help.

I live in Brazil, and I purchased an Epson 5030UBe (firmware 111) projector one year ago.
Since I bought this projector I have faced some problems known with this model as “Delayed Start Problem”:

“...sometimes the lamp strike is delayed and the fan goes into high-speed mode for up to two minutes before the EPSON logo appears.
Worse still, the lamp will sometimes fail to strike at all and the projector simply shuts down after a few minutes in the high fan mode (when this happens the orange lamp light comes on)...”

(From this Forum community).

That’s exactly what happens with my unit, with the orange lamp flashing when it shut down in high fan mode.

This problem was not so frequent as now. Now I try to start on the projector several times, frequently more than 6 times before it works. Yesterday I gave up after several attempts (more than ten).

Problem is that Epson didn´t sell this projector in Brazil, it was imported and sold here by some stores.
They can not help me.
I love the image of this projector, but I am very sad because of this problem.

Please, any suggestion?

Thank you very much
post #6033 of 6067 Old 04-10-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 376
^ How many hours do you have on the bulb? It's possible this problem is related to the bulb, but nobody knows for sure. If you already had a spare bulb I would definitely try it.

You already have the 111 firmware that seemed to help in my case.

post #6034 of 6067 Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It has only 90 hours. May be a defective lamp?

I contact a service center and they told me that this projector needs the ballast replaced.

It is incredible that Epson doesn´t care about this problem.

I like this projector, but if I will have to buy a new one, it will not be Epson again.
post #6035 of 6067 Old 04-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumar1962 View Post
It has only 90 hours. May be a defective lamp?

I contact a service center and they told me that this projector needs the ballast replaced.

It is incredible that Epson doesn´t care about this problem.

I like this projector, but if I will have to buy a new one, it will not be Epson again.
Im sorry to hear this, with my problems no body cares, ive rung epson so many times... they dont give a ****. Just tell me its out of warranty take it to a service department who want me to replace the mainboard and the entire optical engine...

What really pisses me off the most is that EPSON wont even tell me the part numbers so that i can shop around and look for it to see where i can get it the cheapest and how much it actually costs. they say it will be thousands but dont give me an exact figure....

its so frustrating.. no more EPSON for me... and if i do buy any projector i will sell it long before the warranty expires.
post #6036 of 6067 Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys

Just bought a refurb 5030 UBE from Epson, love the projector.

Can any of you give me a good recommendation for a ceiling mount or post a link for me ?

I have looked around and theres a lot to choose from but I want to get feedback from your own purchases.

Thanks Nat.
post #6037 of 6067 Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

“...sometimes the lamp strike is delayed and the fan goes into high-speed mode for up to two minutes before the EPSON logo appears.
Worse still, the lamp will sometimes fail to strike at all and the projector simply shuts down after a few minutes in the high fan mode (when this happens the orange lamp light comes on)...”

(From this Forum community).

That’s exactly what happens with my unit, with the orange lamp flashing when it shut down in high fan mode.

Thank you very much
My projector is behaving similarly. Don't use it regularly, but I had it since 2015. Is it safe to assume is the lamp ?
Also any recommendations on which lamp to get? should I stick with an original from Epson ? also where should I get it from, is there a site that has good prices on lamps ?

Thank you in advance
post #6038 of 6067 Old 04-18-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
My projector is behaving similarly. Don't use it regularly, but I had it since 2015. Is it safe to assume is the lamp ?
Also any recommendations on which lamp to get? should I stick with an original from Epson ? also where should I get it from, is there a site that has good prices on lamps ?

Thank you in advance
Hi,

should get it for around a $100. Only use original Epson bulbs, dont use other aftermarkets ones. U need the ELPLP69 bulb
post #6039 of 6067 Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Have you tried calling Epson support? Even though it is not sold in Brazil, they may still be willing to honor the warranty. If so, they will just send you a replacement unit.
post #6040 of 6067 Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
Have you tried calling Epson support? Even though it is not sold in Brazil, they may still be willing to honor the warranty. If so, they will just send you a replacement unit.
hey mate, even im thinking it may be my ballast or internal power supply, ive just opened a new thread check it out EPSON 5030ub

what are you thoughts?
post #6041 of 6067 Old 04-19-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
hey mate, even im thinking it may be my ballast or internal power supply, ive just opened a new thread check it out EPSON 5030ub

what are you thoughts?
I just took a look at the other thread. Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck
post #6042 of 6067 Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I just took a look at the other thread. Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck
so do you actually think its my power supply? do you think it would be worth a shot spending a $150 for a brandnew powersupply unit? or do you think its fried my motherboard?

do you think there is any way i can check for error codes on the motherboard without a psu (powersupply)?
post #6043 of 6067 Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so do you actually think its my power supply? do you think it would be worth a shot spending a $150 for a brandnew powersupply unit? or do you think its fried my motherboard?

do you think there is any way i can check for error codes on the motherboard without a psu (powersupply)?
I have no idea, but I'm not sure I would spend $150 to test. Have you found a service manual that shows how to swap out the power supply?
post #6044 of 6067 Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I have no idea, but I'm not sure I would spend $150 to test. Have you found a service manual that shows how to swap out the power supply?
Hi,

no i dont have a service manual but ive already opened it up to try and do some diagnosis. it shouldn't be too difficult for me to swap the psu board out, i have some experiance with internals of computers etc so it doesnt seem to daunting of a task as it would to others.

unfortunely i cant find any service manuals, ive only found a exploded diagram of the projector. do you know where i can get the service manuals? that would be amazing if i could grab that somehow
post #6045 of 6067 Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

unfortunely i cant find any service manuals, ive only found a exploded diagram of the projector. do you know where i can get the service manuals? that would be amazing if i could grab that somehow
No, unfortunately I could not find it either. I was searching for it recently, but eventually gave up. I was even willing to pay for it, but I just couldn't find it anywhere online.
post #6046 of 6067 Old 04-24-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
No, unfortunately I could not find it either. I was searching for it recently, but eventually gave up. I was even willing to pay for it, but I just couldn't find it anywhere online.
ive opened the unit up inside and the culprit looks like the Power supply. full burn marks on the underside of the PSU PCB board. the black protective layer the covers the psu board also has significantly visible burn marks.

only problem is it worth replacing the PSU with a new one? it seems highly likely this is what the cause was.

only issue is if the already dead psu fried my projectors motherboard then it wont likely work and ill be down almost $200.

thoughts?
post #6047 of 6067 Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ive opened the unit up inside and the culprit looks like the Power supply. full burn marks on the underside of the PSU PCB board. the black protective layer the covers the psu board also has significantly visible burn marks.

only problem is it worth replacing the PSU with a new one? it seems highly likely this is what the cause was.

only issue is if the already dead psu fried my projectors motherboard then it wont likely work and ill be down almost $200.

thoughts?
At this point, I'd be guessing. I think you have to decide if a $200 risk is something you're willing to tolerate. My completely uneducated guess is that you have a 50/50 chance of it working.
post #6048 of 6067 Old 04-26-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
At this point, I'd be guessing. I think you have to decide if a $200 risk is something you're willing to tolerate. My completely uneducated guess is that you have a 50/50 chance of it working.
its 200 in my country but i checked online and i came across epson authorised distributor over in India and itll only cost me $100 + shipping if i get it from there

may just get it from there. the estimated delivery time either way is 1 week
Bluescale likes this.
post #6049 of 6067 Old 05-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I wanted to share with you all a very interesting finding with my 9200. My 9200 have about 1500h and my screen always was na dalite high power 2.8 gain screen. I only have that screen, used it for about 12 years so a very bright screen with very high foot lamberts, 25 to 30fl is what i was used to see. The only problem was that the black levels in dark scenes where very poor... never see a very good black levels and i had about 5 projectors in 12 years.
A month ago i decided to take a shot and do a DIY painted screen with a very good white paint with a performance near a stewart 1.3, so they say (who made the tests), dulux light and space absolute white, that have a real 1.0 gain screen. A couple of days ago after the screen was made i take the shot and fire the 9200 to see what was what, and of course the brigness of the image was a lot less that i was used to see, coming from 24 foot lamberts to 8 foot lamberts the whites where yellow and the colors vey dim compared to the high power.... Now the really interesting stuff... i use an htpc and always calibrate my image with a 3dlut using argyll cms and madvr, i calibrate my screen and made a very good grayscale calibration and the result is simply Spectacular!!! What i was seing as dim whites and colors just simply disapear and the image became alive with brighter whites and rich colors and the image have the blackest blacks that i ever see with any projector! The perceived brighness and whitest white just came alive after the 3dlut, with just 8 fl...oh... forgot to mension that i have a black pit cinema room... the 9200 is doing 7500.1 native and 18000.1 dinamic CR, i am getting the same deepest black level has a projector with 24fl and 24000.1 native contrast, but i really dont miss the 24 foot lamberts of brigness. Its really very interesting how we can perceived diferently after a calibration.... the 9200 now shines like never before, i can see now the spectacular dark scenes in star wars, prometheous, alien... its really a night and day diference
post #6050 of 6067 Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wow, OMG.

I now have 1900 hours on my 5030UB and felt it's time to buy a new bulb and clean out the PJ.
And I've never been 100% satisfied with the black level detail.
So I walked up to the PJ to examine how difficult it'll be to replace the lamp and noticed that the Lens Shutter has been closed all this time.

It's funny because not long after I installed the projector, I gave up and got my first ever glasses prescription (can't see anything up close).

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #6051 of 6067 Old 05-19-2017, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just hit 4750 hours on my 5030ub. My lamp light is now blinking and i got a warning on the screen saying i need to replace my bulb.

It still works great and looks fine, is this a standard warning that comes on at 4750 hours? Or can the projector tell the bulb is about to die?
post #6052 of 6067 Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98 View Post
I just hit 4750 hours on my 5030ub. My lamp light is now blinking and i got a warning on the screen saying i need to replace my bulb.

It still works great and looks fine, is this a standard warning that comes on at 4750 hours? Or can the projector tell the bulb is about to die?
You should be thrilled to get that many hours on one bulb and change the bulb out for a new one.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #6053 of 6067 Old 05-22-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98 View Post

based on my experience its best to swap out the bulb far before the rated 4700hours.... not that the bulb will blow or anything but soley for the reason that it kills the ballast and PSU unit inside the projector... i generally replace mine at about 4400-4500 hours. dont push it... ive had blown psu on my 5030ub which ive just replaced. will be righting a detailed post on how to do it soon so keep an eye out for that.
post #6054 of 6067 Old 05-22-2017, 07:02 PM

Hey everyone, got the replacement PSU, ripped the entire projector into bits. literally gave everything a clean and put it all back in with the new power supply unit and what do you know. back working beautifully!!!!!

cant believe epsons repairer said it was unfixable.. some of these guys literally work for money. fixed it myself, will be righting up a detailed post hopefully when i get some time!

thanks for everyones help!

most of epsons projectors all use the same PSU so this could be relevant to many epson projector models as well as the newer 5040ub thats just been released.
post #6055 of 6067 Old 05-28-2017, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
You should be thrilled to get that many hours on one bulb and change the bulb out for a new one.
I am thrilled. An extra 1000 hours vs my old 8350, and a better picture.

Quote:
based on my experience its best to swap out the bulb far before the rated 4700hours.... not that the bulb will blow or anything but soley for the reason that it kills the ballast and PSU unit inside the projector... i generally replace mine at about 4400-4500 hours. dont push it... ive had blown psu on my 5030ub which ive just replaced. will be righting a detailed post on how to do it soon so keep an eye out for that.
I swapped in a new filter and the free bulb I got from Epson when I bought my 5030. It's surprising how much brighter it is. I had almost 4800 hours on the original bulb. I'll keep it around to use as a spare when this bulb goes. I'd buy another new spare bulb now, but I'm hoping a true 4k projector in my price range comes out before I need it. Thanks for the help guys.
post #6056 of 6067 Old 06-14-2017, 06:46 PM

Hi does anyone have a suggestion for a good quality mount for the 5030 UB ?

Thanks Nat.
post #6057 of 6067 Old 06-15-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat75 View Post
Hi does anyone have a suggestion for a good quality mount for the 5030 UB ?

Thanks Nat.
If your on an budget This is the One I bought for my 5030UB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XNRN7E..._t2_B00ILGVT8C

I believe Chief sells a mount with customized plate but it is more expensive.

Last edited by los seres; 06-15-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #6058 of 6067 Old 06-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los seres View Post
If your on an budget This is the One I bought for my 5030UB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XNRN7E..._t2_B00ILGVT8C

I believe Chief sells a mount with customized plate but it is more expensive.

Thanks very much for the info, I shall take a look at them.

Much appreciated !!

Nat.
post #6059 of 6067 Old 06-20-2017, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have my 9200 hooked up to a desktop with a gtx 970. Everything fine till this week when I see the projector suddenly go black screen on me intermittently. Comes and goes - feels random - but frequent.

MAY be coinciding with NVIDIA driver update? Not totally sure.

Any tips? I was hoping not to roll back the driver if at all possible for other reasons.

Anyone else getting this?
post #6060 of 6067 Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones 2 View Post
I have my 9200 hooked up to a desktop with a gtx 970. Everything fine till this week when I see the projector suddenly go black screen on me intermittently. Comes and goes - feels random - but frequent.

MAY be coinciding with NVIDIA driver update? Not totally sure.

Any tips? I was hoping not to roll back the driver if at all possible for other reasons.

Anyone else getting this?
If it is your driver, you may see some information in the Windows event viewer. Do you have any other video source to connect to the projector to test?

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page