Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho101 View Post

How does the Darbee compare to the Epson Super Resolution settings? Does it essentially do the same thing?

I've been wondering the same thing lately. I will hopefully be picking up this projector soon, along with an Oppo player. Trying to decide if I should get the 103 and rely on Epson's Super Resolution or get the 103d (with Darbee processing built in) for $100 more. Choices, choices . . . It's only money, right? rolleyes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

So a Darbee paired with a projector is a good match. smile.gif

Using the RS45's Detail Enhance I found Darbee to be overkill... by the time you noticed it you were close to or in torch mode. Without Detail Enhance it worked great... at low settings.

post #903 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

For me, the audio improvements that these formats provide is as important as the video improvements you get from blu-ray vs. DVD

Hmmm... In my theater, I have no way to do anything else. My Emotiva DMC-1 does not have HDMI, so I have only ever been able to connect components via digital coax or optical. I do have 7.1 (7.2 if you count the buttkicker?); the MPS-1 is connected to AV123 Rocket RS 750/200/150/300 and an MFW-15.

I'm not sure how I could, without 7.1 analog input, try anything beyond the apparently lossy signal via digital cables.

I could move my PS3 (only BD player) downstairs - my Yamaha RX-V675 is full HDMI, but its only connected to 5.1 (AV 123 X-series: X-Statik, X-Voce, X-LS & MFW-15) and has less power than upstairs.

However, I am now intrigued! I'm planning on getting Mede8er players for upstairs and downstairs to replace my ancient TViX - these will play BD ISO's and...

that will give me the chance to play with the new (to me!) lossless / master audio formats! Wheeeee!!!!

Glen
My Home Theater
Whatever is not nailed down, is mine.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!

post #904 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 224
It is an interesting piece of gear with many favorable reviews.

post #905 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
+1 on Darbee with my 6010 love it. Re discussion above about lamp life my 6010 lamp at 2800 hours (will replace soon) still looks pretty good, started out with ECO for probably 1500 hours then switched to Normal.
post #906 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol K View Post

I upgraded to the 5030 from a Panasonic AE4000. Some thoughts after playing with the Epson for a couple days:

• The Epson has much better black levels/contrast. Didn't realize what I was missing on the Panasonic until setting this up. I'm not someone who would notice minor improvements, so I suspect there's a pretty big gap here.

• Panel alignment is a bit of an issue on the Epson; was flawless on the Panasonic. (E.g., On the Epson, white text has tinges of different colors at the edges.) Out of the box, the issue was pretty noticeable and could be seen at normal viewing distances. The Epson's panel alignment tool helped a lot but alignment is still not perfect (though now you can only tell that by looking very closely at the screen).

• The biggest thing I miss about the Panasonic is their smoothscreen/anti-SDE tech. I sit relatively close to the screen - about 10 feet from a 150 inch screen - and the Epson has some screen door effect that I've never seen before (all of my prior projectors have been Panasonics). If you stand in front of the screen, the SDE grid is very obvious. At my sitting distance, when wearing glasses that give me better-than-20/20 vision, the SDE is also pretty much constantly noticeable. Fortunately, those glasses give me a headache and I never wear them when watching. I usually watch either without glasses or with a pair that has a lighter prescription - in which case I very rarely notice SDE.

• Obviously the biggest difference is 3D, which the Panasonic didn't have. The Epson's 3D works very well and looks great (FI set to low, SR at 3), although this is my first 3D projector so I can't compare it to others. The only issue I've seen is occasional crosstalk but (at Medium 3D Brightness) it's pretty rare; for example, in Dredd 3D, there were probably 2-3 scenes, totaling ~20-30 seconds over the entire movie, where I noticed crosstalk (typically a person's face for some reason), and even then it was fairly mild. Rest of the movie looked flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Most folks are not going to sit 10 feet from a 150" - that's very close. I sit ~ 14 feet from my 142" 16:9 which is ~ 1.25 screen widths and didn't have an issue with SDE on the 5030. My vision is excellent.

it might be a little shocking going from one of the softest appearing projectors to something that is not. I calibrated several Panasonic 8000's and was surprised how soft these look in comparison to every other projector we used in the shootout thread. Some try to compare smooth-screen to JVC's e-shift but it's definitely not the same. You just end up with an image that generally looks soft, especially on a fairly large screen.

it is true that the Epson's have the widest pixel spacing of the current models so I can see how sitting 10 feet from a 150" could be an issue. I don't think it will be a problem for the vast majority of setups.

Rookie question here, but when you (anyone in general) talk about a 150" or 110" screen, is that diagonal or wide?

Also, did either of you notice noticeable more DETAIL with the non-smoothscreen projector(s). I've heard a lot of debate about whether or not smoothscreen adversely affects fine detail.

Thanks!
post #907 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Rookie question here, but when you (anyone in general) talk about a 150" or 110" screen, is that diagonal or wide?

Also, did either of you notice noticeable more DETAIL with the non-smoothscreen projector(s). I've heard a lot of debate about whether or not smoothscreen adversely affects fine detail.

Thanks!

Hi, these are diagonal measurements. I personally did not like the 8000's smooth screen on my 142" 16:9, i thought it looked a bit soft compared to the other projectors.

There are other 'smoothing' technologies like JVC's e-shift which is a much different process than smoothscreen. This look great on my relatively large screen with a close seating distance.

I just configured another 5030 last night and have no issues with the Epson's wide pixel spacing @ 14 feet seating distance.
post #908 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Hi, these are diagonal measurements. I personally did not like the 8000's smooth screen on my 142" 16:9, i thought it looked a bit soft compared to the other projectors.

There are other 'smoothing' technologies like JVC's e-shift which is a much different process than smoothscreen. This look great on my relatively large screen with a close seating distance.

I just configured another 5030 last night and have no issues with the Epson's wide pixel spacing @ 14 feet seating distance.

Thanks for the quick response. I was confused because Evan from Projector Central claims that projector screens are measured horizontally. That didn't sound right to me.

So couple more other question while you are online. I'd really like to set up a 2.35:1 CIH screen, with removable (addable) side panels for 16:9 content mainly because I think epic movies should be bigger, and games/TV would probably benefit from being smaller. I might watch widescreen content 10% of the time. Is not having lens memory really a deal breaker? How long would you say it takes to manually switch from 16:9 to 2.35:1 on the Epson? Last question, is there anything physically/visually different between watching a 2.35 movie on a 3030 and say the Pany 8000....like are there physical shield that cover the black pixels on the Pany or is there a difference in the # of native pixels used for widescreen content on either projector?

Thanks again!
post #909 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Can you please tell me where you acquired the 142" from? It's a slightly better fit for my room, but I have not seen too many that size.

Freddy ..
post #910 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamalex View Post

Can you please tell me where you acquired the 142" from? It's a slightly better fit for my room, but I have not seen too many that size.

Freddy ..

Give us a call and we can help you out.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #911 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Now that a few projectors are up and running what are the opinions on out of the box convergence? After all the reported convergence issues with the previous model I'm just a tad nervous about taking the plunge.
post #912 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi!

Which model of the Panasonic 3-D glasses are you guys talking about?
I currently have the Epson 3-D glasses and they are nice but I also wear regular eye glasses and wearing both is a little tight.
I have been thinking about getting smaller eye glasses but maybe the Panasonics might be a better match.

Thanks.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Oppo 103
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
post #913 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I bought 4 pairs of the Samsung SSG-5100GB RF glasses and I recommend everyone else do the same. One, they work perfectly with the 5030ub - you even get a "sync" message when you first pair them. Two, they have a couple minor improvements over the 4100GB's that everyone used to get last year - the lenses are a little wider, there's a power indicator, and they automatically shut off (I don't know if the latter was a problem with the old model, but I read several reviews that said it was).

Three - They are $15-20 depending on where you get them. Amazon has them for $20 but I found them at my local Fry's for $15 each. That is a friggin steal.

Four - other than being "open" framed they work exactly as well as the OEM glasses do - picture is the same. Which is probably no surprise to most but I do see it asked from time to time.

Now, these aren't the "premium" kind of glasses like those that ship with the PJ. They have snap-in arms, run off tiny non-rechargeable batteries (easily replaceable though) and the frame itself is straight with no "wrap around" effect block off your peripheral vision. Also, they look kind of goofy but then, all 3D glasses do to some extent.

Don't let that dissuade you - these are perfect kid/guest glasses. At $15 you could pick up 6 pairs for less than the cost of one OEM Epson model. They are extremely light and comfortable and work well with prescription eye wear - in the latter case, better than the OEM glasses. Using batteries means you never have to worry about a pile of glasses sitting around hooked up to a makeshift USB hub, nor worry that if you leave them sitting around all year until the holidays and forget to charge them you'll be stuck.

Don't get me wrong - I love the two pair that come with the PJ, and those are what I will use, but for guests or kids, the Samsung ones are great. As far as picture quality goes there is no difference whatsoever between them.
post #914 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davestan View Post

Now that a few projectors are up and running what are the opinions on out of the box convergence? After all the reported convergence issues with the previous model I'm just a tad nervous about taking the plunge.

Mine is fine. I did a first calibration pass on it the other day when my Spears&Munsil disk arrived and it's looking good.

Fantastic PJ. Major upgrade from my 8350. I'll probably do a little write-up on it after it's settled in with a few hours on the bulb and I've run some more material through it, but so far, wow. My 8350 put out a really good picture after I calibrated it - guests would look at it and go, man, that looks really good.

Guests look at 5030ub now and go, holy sh&t. I was watching Pacific Rim 3D earlier and it's the first time - and I've had a PJ setup for 10 years + now - that I completely forgot I was watching something on a screen. It was like a hole opened up in my wall and giant robots were on the other side of it smile.gif
post #915 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post

Mine is fine. I did a first calibration pass on it the other day when my Spears&Munsil disk arrived and it's looking good.

Fantastic PJ. Major upgrade from my 8350. I'll probably do a little write-up on it after it's settled in with a few hours on the bulb and I've run some more material through it, but so far, wow. My 8350 put out a really good picture after I calibrated it - guests would look at it and go, man, that looks really good.

Guests look at 5030ub now and go, holy sh&t. I was watching Pacific Rim 3D earlier and it's the first time - and I've had a PJ setup for 10 years + now - that I completely forgot I was watching something on a screen. It was like a hole opened up in my wall and giant robots were on the other side of it smile.gif

I think I need to go to BB right now!!! Even before my cave is finished!!!!
post #916 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 84
When I hit pause during a movie I can see a green tinge at the bottom of the symbol. If the panel alignment tool doesn't knock it, what will?
post #917 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Thanks for the quick response. I was confused because Evan from Projector Central claims that projector screens are measured horizontally. That didn't sound right to me.

So couple more other question while you are online. I'd really like to set up a 2.35:1 CIH screen, with removable (addable) side panels for 16:9 content mainly because I think epic movies should be bigger, and games/TV would probably benefit from being smaller. I might watch widescreen content 10% of the time. Is not having lens memory really a deal breaker? How long would you say it takes to manually switch from 16:9 to 2.35:1 on the Epson? Last question, is there anything physically/visually different between watching a 2.35 movie on a 3030 and say the Pany 8000....like are there physical shield that cover the black pixels on the Pany or is there a difference in the # of native pixels used for widescreen content on either projector?

Thanks again!

Hi Viche, I received your PM and will respond once I get a chance to take some pics. In the meantime to answer your question about switching from 16:9 to 2.35:1 with my setup with removable side panels when watching 2.35:1 content it takes me 3 minutes or less to do all of it, very easy, providing projector accessible to get at zoom and vertical lens shift controls. I have my ceiling mounted with 8' ceilings (actually a bit lower due to drop ceiling) and can reach everything. The only annoying thing is adjusting one of the shifts affects the other. For instance when I adjust vertical lens shift it slightly moves the horizontal shift (which is normally in its center position) so I just move it back to its center position. It is so worth doing the 2.35:1 setup, when you see it that way you wish EVERYTHING was done 2.35:1.

I try to think of a way I could make my side masking black panels more flexible whereby I could have a bit bigger 16:9 image but there is always the tradeoff with this type of setup like I've done to decide which is larger: 16:9 image or 2.35:1 image -- I chose 2.35:1 image to be larger.
post #918 of 4408 Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have an interesting situation:
Firstly my setup:

Carada Brilliant White 1.4 Gain 92" screen
Current Projector: Epson 8350

Link to my HT:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CyberAthlete

I have an offer from one of the Best Buys to purchase a 5020 for $1899+tax

Now is the 5030 worth the $700 price difference or are the gains marginal with the 5030? Should I go for the 5020 for now for that price or toss in the extra $700 and go with the 5030?

Thanks!
post #919 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Ix
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post

I have an interesting situation:
Firstly my setup:

Carada Brilliant White 1.4 Gain 92" screen
Current Projector: Epson 8350

Link to my HT:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=CyberAthlete

I have an offer from one of the Best Buys to purchase a 5020 for $1899+tax

Now is the 5030 worth the $700 price difference or are the gains marginal with the 5030? Should I go for the 5020 for now for that price or toss in the extra $700 and go with the 5030?

Thanks!

For 2D, it's subtly refined - blacks are better, Iris is a little quieter, small stuff that individually may not matter much but can add up. It's nice but I bet lots of current 5020ub owners are still happy with theirs.

For 3D there are a number of improvements, including FI being allowed in 3D at all, that make a difference.

In the end it's a better projector than the 5020 but is it $700 better? Hard for me to say for you. If you are going to go that route there are lots of alternatives you could look at that are $700 cheaper.
post #920 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 AM

Liked: 15
Thanks for the response. when you say FI, is that the soap opera effect? If so, I tend not to ever use it...I prefer the theatrical look of movies.

Iris noise shouldn't be an issue either as the projector is a few feet away from me and outside of my surround sound set up (if you see the link in my previous post).

I think I may just pull the trigger on the 5020UB because if I do resell it 2 years down the road, I should still be able to get a better return on it (less depreciation). My loss on the resale of a 5020 purchased at $1899+tax will be lower than a 5030 purchased at $2599+tax.
post #921 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Question for those of you who have experience with the 5030 or 5020:

How many years do you plan on getting out of these projectors? I ask because I am traditionally a DLP guy, because I find that they seem to degrade far less over time. Yet, I find myself attracted to this projector for many reasons. Is it far fetched to think I'll get 4 years out of one of these, without it needing any repairs (not counting replacing lamps)? Do any of you guys pair it with a longer warranty?
post #922 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post

Hahahaha... Awesome description! It's pretty obvious you're impressed with the 5030UB... I can hardly wait for mine. biggrin.gif
post #923 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

Question for those of you who have experience with the 5030 or 5020:

How many years do you plan on getting out of these projectors? I ask because I am traditionally a DLP guy, because I find that they seem to degrade far less over time. Yet, I find myself attracted to this projector for many reasons. Is it far fetched to think I'll get 4 years out of one of these, without it needing any repairs (not counting replacing lamps)? Do any of you guys pair it with a longer warranty?

I think 4 years is a reasonable expectation for most LCD projectors.
post #924 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi -
I am considering a new screen for my 5030. Will likely choose between an Elite EZScreen CineWhite, or CineGrey. I currently have a EZ Screen Cinewhite, but I I have moved to a smaller house, with a smaller theater room and need to down size. My theater is essentially a living room, not a cave, light colored walls and carpet. I can control the light well enough for sports in the daytime, do most of my movie watching at night, The 5030 looks awesome on the Cinewhite, and I haven't calibrated it yet. I plan to get a new screen before calibration obviously.
SO my question is, Grey or White? The grey is almost $200 more for some reason.

thanks
post #925 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi -
I am considering a new screen for my 5030. Will likely choose between an Elite EZScreen CineWhite, or CineGrey. I currently have a EZ Screen Cinewhite, but I I have moved to a smaller house, with a smaller theater room and need to down size. My theater is essentially a living room, not a cave, light colored walls and carpet. I can control the light well enough for sports in the daytime, do most of my movie watching at night, The 5030 looks awesome on the Cinewhite, and I haven't calibrated it yet. I plan to get a new screen before calibration obviously.
SO my question is, Grey or White? The grey is almost $200 more for some reason.

thanks

I don't know why you would want a grey screen for this PJ under any circumstances, and in particular in a room with ambient light.

Older LCD's, sure, but the 5030 already has the best black levels anywhere near that price range and is pretty bright. You could go with a screen with some gain to it and probably be really happy in a lit room.

I have the Cinewhite myself, 106', 1.1 gain, and I can easily deal with my overhead lights on, dimmed a little (about 60% on my dimmer). The picture only really starts to "wash" out if the window shades are open or all the lights are on full.
post #926 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response..I might try and save a few bucks and see if I can retro-fit my 120" to 106...
post #927 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response..I might try and save a few bucks and see if I can retro-fit my 120" to 106...

I went through something similar - I had a 110 Carada brilliant white for a few years, but I mis-calculated the size - the screen was just a smidge too large for my seating area, meaning it wasn't entirely in the field of view. I realized after I set it up that a 106, small difference that it was, would have been perfect. The 110 led to some eyestrain after a while because your eyes unconsciously look around trying to take it all in.

Later, after I upgraded to a better projector, I also realized the 1.4 gain of the brilliant white was a little too much for the same reasons. So I downsized to a 106 1.1 gain screen. I looked in to ways to mask the 110 off, etc but in the end I settled for what you are probably going to do - bite the bullet and get the smaller screen.

I was lucky in that my workplace needed a nice, big screen, so I sold them my 110. You can probably do the same on Craigslist or something - lots of offices could use a decent screen, and homeowners.

The 106 CinemaWhite 1.1 is what I am using with my 5030 now - it is a great pairing.
post #928 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Hey Lx. Just curious, what was your viewing distance with the 110"? I'm trying to figure out how big of a screen I can go. My viewing distance is about 11ft.
post #929 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

My current screen is "120 and at my viewing distance of 9 1/2 feet I get a slight screen door effect. I am trying to decide if that will go away at 110" or if I should go all the way down to 106"
post #930 of 4408 Old 11-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Ix
Advanced Member

Wow. I am at about 10.5 feet viewing distance and I thought 110 was too big. At that distance, the entire frame can't fit in your field of view. The recommended THX distance for that size screen (120) is 14.5 feet, though I am sure many fudge a foot or three with no problems. 11 feet or below though, that seems too short. A 106 or 100 is better for that.

If you have a 120 and sit 9.5 feet from it.....no wonder you see SDE smile.gif Some of the Panasonics can compensate for that with their Smoothscreen tech (I think the end result is too soft, personally) but most LCD's including the 5030 are going to show some SDE at that size and distance. Not to mention eye fatigue, although in the latter case it's different strokes for different folks so maybe it doesn't bother you like it does me.

Personally, at 9.5 feet viewing I think you'd be happier with a 100, maybe a 106. You'll get a little brighter image out of it too assuming your PJ stays mounted at the same distance. With the 5030 at 120/9.5 feet you are gonna see some SDE - if you really like that distance and screen size maybe you should look at a DLP PJ?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page