Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread
Daekwan's Avatar Daekwan 01:40 PM 11-26-2013
Probably should have checked here first. But I just pulled the trigger.

Epson 5030 from Best Buy (they had one in stock and I wanted to have it setup for the family to watch Thanksgiving day football).

Visual Apex 135" CinemaWhite 1.1gain screen shipped next day from Amazon.

Anything I need to be on the lookout for?

Any suggestions? Any worries?

Joseph Clark's Avatar Joseph Clark 01:44 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Epson 5030 from Best Buy (they had one in stock and I wanted to have it setup for the family to watch Thanksgiving day football).

Good choice and no worries. It'll be a happy Thanksgiving for you and the family. smile.gif
blbrchnk's Avatar blbrchnk 01:48 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:

Only if you are a Ravens fan.  :mad:

Randy Schmidt's Avatar Randy Schmidt 07:25 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:

I have the exact same setup... I am very, very happy with both the projector and the screen. Enjoy!
willymo's Avatar willymo 08:43 AM 11-27-2013
can anyone recommend some kind of cloth to clean the lens? Would one of those terry cloths work? Thanks.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!smile.gif
Justin Morgan's Avatar Justin Morgan 09:38 AM 11-27-2013
The best thing would probably be a camera lens cleaning kit which usually contain a camel hair brush (to gently brush off most of the dust) and a very soft cloth to clean with. It's what I use to clean my telescopes and binoculars too.

If you have prescription glasses you may have received a soft glasses cleaning cloth, you could probably use that if you don't have a camera lens cleaning kit.

When cleaning, use soft sweeping motions to sweep the dust off -- don't grind the dust into the lens surface.

Be sure not to use any harsh ammonia or bleach cleansers that could take the coating off the lens. Camera cleaning kits usually have a very mild cleaning fluid that's safe.

Note that most of the time dust on the outer surface of the lens is not a huge issue, usually it takes a pretty big blob of dust to cause a noticeable change in the image.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 09:40 AM 11-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post

can anyone recommend some kind of cloth to clean the lens? Would one of those terry cloths work? Thanks.

Best to leave it alone if you can. Was the lens touched and has dirt and smudges on it?
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 10:00 AM 11-27-2013
if there is a smudge and you have to clean the lens, I use these on all my optics:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/71154-REG/Photographic_Solutions_PAD44_Pec_Pad_Photo_Wipes.html

71154.jpg

a little warm breathe to fog up the lens and a gentle swipe of the pec-pad should do the trick.
Cyberathlete's Avatar Cyberathlete 10:30 AM 11-27-2013
Quote:

Terry cloths? You mean those towels? Never.

Any micro fiber cloth works really well (and they're cheap). You can get them at Best Buy, Sears, Kohls, eBay $2-$5
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 10:33 AM 11-27-2013
I would personally not use a microfiber towel to clean a lens. Those pec pads I posted are specifically designed for cleaning fragile optics and are equally inexpensive.
willymo's Avatar willymo 12:38 PM 11-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I would personally not use a microfiber towel to clean a lens. Those pec pads I posted are specifically designed for cleaning fragile optics and are equally inexpensive.

Thanks guys! I notice the dust on the lens is all....
chmorgan's Avatar chmorgan 12:51 PM 11-27-2013
Does anyone know why there's no price listed for the 5030UB/UBE projectors on Epsons website? Thanks!
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 02:44 PM 11-27-2013
Quote:

Thanks guys! I notice the dust on the lens is all....

If all it is is a little dust, then either leave it alone or get a squeeze bulb and blow it off.
William L Carman's Avatar William L Carman 02:55 PM 11-27-2013
I received my 5030 about a week ago. It replaced a two year old 8700UB that I have put up for sale. Yesterday, when the projector had twelve hours on it, I turned it on, and the lamp did not light. I of
course, panicked. My wife suggested that I tap the projector. I did, and it came on! Is it possible that the lamp is not properly seated? Should I contact Epson?
Justin Morgan's Avatar Justin Morgan 03:23 PM 11-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post

Yesterday, when the projector had twelve hours on it, I turned it on, and the lamp did not light. I of
course, panicked. My wife suggested that I tap the projector. I did, and it came on! Is it possible that the lamp is not properly seated? Should I contact Epson?

Don't know whether you should contact Epson. However, you might consider changing your forum username to "Fonzie".
willymo's Avatar willymo 03:33 PM 11-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

if there is a smudge and you have to clean the lens, I use these on all my optics:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/71154-REG/Photographic_Solutions_PAD44_Pec_Pad_Photo_Wipes.html

71154.jpg

a little warm breathe to fog up the lens and a gentle swipe of the pec-pad should do the trick.

Just ordered this. Thanks!!!
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 04:06 PM 11-27-2013
Quote:

I received my 5030 about a week ago. It replaced a two year old 8700UB that I have put up for sale. Yesterday, when the projector had twelve hours on it, I turned it on, and the lamp did not light. I of

Make sure lamp is firmly seated.
William L Carman's Avatar William L Carman 05:10 PM 11-27-2013
Thank you Mike. Your advice was a lot more helpful than Justin's was. I appreciate it.
Ix's Avatar Ix 08:32 PM 11-27-2013
There's been a lot of CIH talk in this thread - lenses, zooming, stretching, oh my - but nothing beats a cheap set of DIY masks to help rid you of those unsightly "black bars" with scope material so I thought I'd fill those interested in on my journey to making new masks for my screen.

Years ago I had masks for my old 110'' but I never got around to doing it for my 106'' screen. Now that I have a 5030ub I care about such things again, but not enough to spend more than the projector cost on a lens, scaler, and 2:35 screen. Making these masks cost me $44 and an hour of my time and will result in a much nicer picture with scope material.

There are better, sturdier ways to do this, but none cheaper or quicker - if you want to try out masks and see if they are for you (hint: you will probably find that to be the case) then this is as easy as it gets. Caveat: The method I describe below works with 16x9 screens up to 110'' diagonal. Over that, you'll have to use a couple pieces of backing board/cloth and attach them together, which will take a little more time and effort but nothing too onerous. If your screen is under 110'' you are in luck because it's easy as pie.

Reference notes: A 106'' screen like mine is 92 inches across, horizontally. A 110'' screen is 96 inches - 8 feet exactly. 8 feet happens to be the largest size you'll find for most backing material, so keep that in mind. MEASURE your inner screen dimensions before you set out, and don't forget to project some 2:35:1 and 2:40:1 material so you can measure the dreaded "black bars" too - mine are 7 inches high top and bottom.

Part 1: Buying the mask material (on the cheap)!

First, you need some good black velvet cloth. In the US, Hobby Lobby sells this by the yard, so for a 106'' screen 2.6 yards will do. They have a 40% coupon going right now for any single item, so this ended up costing me $18. It's nice cloth too - thin, but not too thin, super deep black, nice texture. It'll match whatever you have for your screen now just fine.

Second, you need some good fabric glue. Don't use Elmer's or wood glue, get the good stuff, also at Hobby Lobby. Some folks like fabric tape but I find tape to be a PITA for this kind of project, at least on a permanent basis - use it to adjust the fit then use glue to set it right.

Third, you need some backing material. Home Depot or Lowes are your friend here - get a 4x8 sheet of foam insulating material. It's stiff enough for the job while being lightweight and easy to cut/work with. I used 1/2 inch thick stuff since I didn't want it to be too deep but looking at my current screen frame I probably could have gotten away with 3/4 if I wanted.

For masks that are "heavy duty" and made to survive years of being put up/taken down you might want to consider a more solid substrate - particle board, maybe - but the foam will get the job done. It's also $12 for a 1/2 inch 4x8 sheet. And - don't forget this step - those big box stores will cut it for you. I had them cut me two 92 inch long 7 inch high strips from the material on the big table saw they have there - it's free, and unless you have a (huge) table saw of your own you will never get it as straight as they will.

10 total minutes and $12 later I left Home Depot with two perfectly cut strips:

MQAjXlal.jpg?1

Part 2: Making the masks.

I had Hobby Lobby cut my velvet fabric too, though they did a crap job of it. So I laid out the foam backing and got to work with some scissors. 5 minutes later all was right and I carefully wrapped the fabric around the foam board, holding it in place with fabric tape until I had a perfect edge, then I went along and glued it.

20 minutes later (most of it time for the glue to set while I had a beer) I had a pretty perfect, straight mask:

gqaK2T8l.jpg?1

Repeat for the bottom one and you're almost done.

Part 3: Attaching the masks to the screen:

This is the part I'm doing now - given the holiday I probably won't get back to it until Friday, when I'll update the post. At first, I am simply going to use a couple pieces of double-sided Velcro tape on each end to hold it in place (it's pretty light, overall). After that, I am probably going to go the magnet route and "hang" the masks off my screen with some black fabric. That will make for a more usable solution, and keep the masks off the floor/side of the room.

Again, if you want something a little sturdier - something that will last you years of use without worrying about breaking the foam - go with a sturdier substrate. However, this method is as easy and cheap as it gets and looks great.

Will post more pics soon.
WestCDA's Avatar WestCDA 08:39 PM 11-27-2013
Quote:

Thank you Mike. Your advice was a lot more helpful than Justin's was. I appreciate it.

I believe that Justin was referring to Fonzie's unique talent for tapping jukeboxes back to life ... yes, a dated reference, but I had a chuckle over it smile.gif
willymo's Avatar willymo 09:53 AM 11-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post

There's been a lot of CIH talk in this thread - lenses, zooming, stretching, oh my - but nothing beats a cheap set of DIY masks to help rid you of those unsightly "black bars" with scope material so I thought I'd fill those interested in on my journey to making new masks for my screen.

Years ago I had masks for my old 110'' but I never got around to doing it for my 106'' screen. Now that I have a 5030ub I care about such things again, but not enough to spend more than the projector cost on a lens, scaler, and 2:35 screen. Making these masks cost me $44 and an hour of my time and will result in a much nicer picture with scope material.

There are better, sturdier ways to do this, but none cheaper or quicker - if you want to try out masks and see if they are for you (hint: you will probably find that to be the case) then this is as easy as it gets. Caveat: The method I describe below works with 16x9 screens up to 110'' diagonal. Over that, you'll have to use a couple pieces of backing board/cloth and attach them together, which will take a little more time and effort but nothing too onerous. If your screen is under 110'' you are in luck because it's easy as pie.

Reference notes: A 106'' screen like mine is 92 inches across, horizontally. A 110'' screen is 96 inches - 8 feet exactly. 8 feet happens to be the largest size you'll find for most backing material, so keep that in mind. MEASURE your inner screen dimensions before you set out, and don't forget to project some 2:35:1 and 2:40:1 material so you can measure the dreaded "black bars" too - mine are 7 inches high top and bottom.

Part 1: Buying the mask material (on the cheap)!

First, you need some good black velvet cloth. In the US, Hobby Lobby sells this by the yard, so for a 106'' screen 2.6 yards will do. They have a 40% coupon going right now for any single item, so this ended up costing me $18. It's nice cloth too - thin, but not too thin, super deep black, nice texture. It'll match whatever you have for your screen now just fine.

Second, you need some good fabric glue. Don't use Elmer's or wood glue, get the good stuff, also at Hobby Lobby. Some folks like fabric tape but I find tape to be a PITA for this kind of project, at least on a permanent basis - use it to adjust the fit then use glue to set it right.

Third, you need some backing material. Home Depot or Lowes are your friend here - get a 4x8 sheet of foam insulating material. It's stiff enough for the job while being lightweight and easy to cut/work with. I used 1/2 inch thick stuff since I didn't want it to be too deep but looking at my current screen frame I probably could have gotten away with 3/4 if I wanted.

For masks that are "heavy duty" and made to survive years of being put up/taken down you might want to consider a more solid substrate - particle board, maybe - but the foam will get the job done. It's also $12 for a 1/2 inch 4x8 sheet. And - don't forget this step - those big box stores will cut it for you. I had them cut me two 92 inch long 7 inch high strips from the material on the big table saw they have there - it's free, and unless you have a (huge) table saw of your own you will never get it as straight as they will.

10 total minutes and $12 later I left Home Depot with two perfectly cut strips:

MQAjXlal.jpg?1

Part 2: Making the masks.

I had Hobby Lobby cut my velvet fabric too, though they did a crap job of it. So I laid out the foam backing and got to work with some scissors. 5 minutes later all was right and I carefully wrapped the fabric around the foam board, holding it in place with fabric tape until I had a perfect edge, then I went along and glued it.

20 minutes later (most of it time for the glue to set while I had a beer) I had a pretty perfect, straight mask:

gqaK2T8l.jpg?1

Repeat for the bottom one and you're almost done.

Part 3: Attaching the masks to the screen:

This is the part I'm doing now - given the holiday I probably won't get back to it until Friday, when I'll update the post. At first, I am simply going to use a couple pieces of double-sided Velcro tape on each end to hold it in place (it's pretty light, overall). After that, I am probably going to go the magnet route and "hang" the masks off my screen with some black fabric. That will make for a more usable solution, and keep the masks off the floor/side of the room.

Again, if you want something a little sturdier - something that will last you years of use without worrying about breaking the foam - go with a sturdier substrate. However, this method is as easy and cheap as it gets and looks great.

Will post more pics soon.

I love this idea! I have a tensioned tab 100" electric screen. I can see making these and attaching them with magnets for 2:35 movies....hmmm, you've given me a great idea! Happy Thanksgiving.
Ix's Avatar Ix 11:20 AM 11-28-2013
If you use anything heavier than foam for the backing make sure you get rare earth magnets, not the ones they sell in regular hardware stores. Those are extra strong.

For the ones I made, regular 1.1/4 magnets that you can get in any Home Depot work fine since the masks are so light. With a hanging screen I would go as light as possible anyway.

Magnets aren't a bad idea for an electric screen, though you are gonna have to think about how you are going to attach metal plates (or the opposite magnets) to the back - I wouldn't want to roll the screen up that way. Or is your screen flush with the wall behind it? In that case you could probably get away with putting them on the wall itself. Be a bit tricky - interested to hear how it comes out.

I suppose you could get away with not permanently attaching the backs at all and just slapping them on when needed, be a bit of work but if you watch a lot of scope material probably worth it.
BlancoJr's Avatar BlancoJr 08:23 AM 11-29-2013
Do you want a white PJ but no wireless HDMI?
-Vinyl wrap!

Greg_R_STL's Avatar Greg_R_STL 10:29 AM 11-29-2013
Amazon and Best Buy are both backordered on the 5030. Did Epson run out of units?
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 10:30 AM 11-29-2013
AV Science has some in stock. smile.gif
L0nestar's Avatar L0nestar 11:01 AM 11-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

According to the calculator at Projector Central, you are right 'in the zone' there for a 22 foot lambert image on screen. That is pretty much a good level, but it will drop off in brightness as the lamp ages.

You might want to consider a screen with a little bit of gain - 1.3 say, to allow for diminished brightness as the lamp ages, or for 3D if that is important to you. You only need a matt white screen in your room, so you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good screen for your purpose IMO.

Should I move my projector back some? Say to 16ft? I can do that...I've got ceiling joists there...just not the smurf tube and electrical plug....but I can always cover that stuff on the ceiling with wire covers.

I want to get the best picture quality possible for 120in screen. Leaving it at 13.9ft is best for me as it's already set up, but if I'm reading these posts correctly, it seems that doing that will make the screen too bright and at the end of the zoom range? Is that bad?

Thanks for your thoughts guys....I have little idea what I am doing. lol.

kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 11:31 AM 11-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nestar View Post

Quote:

According to the calculator at Projector Central, you are right 'in the zone' there for a 22 foot lambert image on screen. That is pretty much a good level, but it will drop off in brightness as the lamp ages.

You might want to consider a screen with a little bit of gain - 1.3 say, to allow for diminished brightness as the lamp ages, or for 3D if that is important to you. You only need a matt white screen in your room, so you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good screen for your purpose IMO.

Should I move my projector back some? Say to 16ft? I can do that...I've got ceiling joists there...just not the smurf tube and electrical plug....but I can always cover that stuff on the ceiling with wire covers.

I want to get the best picture quality possible for 120in screen. Leaving it at 13.9ft is best for me as it's already set up, but if I'm reading these posts correctly, it seems that doing that will make the screen too bright and at the end of the zoom range? Is that bad?

Thanks for your thoughts guys....I have little idea what I am doing. lol.

If it easy to move it, then why not?  But I wouldn't obsess over it. Ideally, the middle of the zoom range is probably the sweet spot of the lens, but that is not always the case - it depends on the lens. And you are only talking 2 feet or so anyway - it isn’t going to make the world of difference TBH.

The brightness is only  problem if it is a problem - at 13.9 feet, what brightness are you getting on the screen?  Is it acceptable to you?  Have you used a test disc (AVS do a free one you can download and burn) to set the brightness and contrast levels correctly? I bet you can dial in a good brightness level using the contrast control.

Brightness is also a function of the lamp mode - are you using Eco?

FWIW, I am right at the end of the telephoto range of the lens - it is maxed out - and my PQ is superb. And I am not too bright shooting from 9 feet onto a 92 inch diagonal screen, in Eco mode, using Natural picture mode (that may be called THX in the USA).

EDIT to add: I forgot to mention that the more telephoto 'zoom' you use the lower the brightness. At full zoom brightness is down by about 40%. PJs are brightest at the wide end of the lens. Personally, I'd suspect you are fine at 13'9".

L0nestar's Avatar L0nestar 12:01 PM 11-29-2013
Quote:

If it easy to move it, then why not?  But I wouldn't obsess over it. Ideally, the middle of the zoom range is probably the sweet spot of the lens, but that is not always the case - it depends on the lens. And you are only talking 2 feet or so anyway - it isn’t going to make the world of difference TBH.

The brightness is only  problem if it is a problem - at 13.9 feet, what brightness are you getting on the screen?  Is it acceptable to you?  Have you used a test disc (AVS do a free one you can download and burn) to set the brightness and contrast levels correctly? I bet you can dial in a good brightness level using the contrast control.

Brightness is also a function of the lamp mode - are you using Eco?

FWIW, I am right at the end of the telephoto range of the lens - it is maxed out - and my PQ is superb. And I am not too bright shooting from 9 feet onto a 92 inch diagonal screen, in Eco mode, using Natural picture mode (that may be called THX in the USA).

The brightness is great on dynamic. THX seems dark. Keep in mind that I am projecting on blackout cloth. Just to clarify....the closer to the screen, the brighter the image / more zoom out you have to put on the lens to get a bigger picture right?

Been looking at getting one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-Curve120WH1-Curve-Fixed-Projection/dp/B005TFUFXI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2/191-0011592-9944800

nickoakdl's Avatar nickoakdl 12:32 PM 11-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nestar View Post

The brightness is great on dynamic. THX seems dark. Keep in mind that I am projecting on blackout cloth. Just to clarify....the closer to the screen, the brighter the image / more zoom out you have to put on the lens to get a bigger picture right?

Been looking at getting one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-Curve120WH1-Curve-Fixed-Projection/dp/B005TFUFXI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2/191-0011592-9944800

A curved screen like that should only be used if you are projecting a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, they aren't needed for 16:9.
L0nestar's Avatar L0nestar 01:15 PM 11-29-2013

Why? Doesn't the projector scale to that aspect ratio via black bars?

Tags: Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop