Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I can ask my dealer, who seems to have regular contact with the Epson Rep in the UK, if anamorphic stretch is included in the new model.

P81t1k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

Hello there,

How does the movie happy feet 3D handle on this epson 5030..
Could someone do a test for me?

Best regards

Can somebody test this please;)
post #1533 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Have my 5030 up and going. Shooting on a 135" visual apex cinema white screen. I've done my best with the panel alignment. And have the Disney wow disc to do further calibrations later.

Anything else I need to do or be concerned with?

Any recommendations on mounts?

Same stuff I've done... panel alignment and WOW, and the picture looks great on my 120" screen. For a ceiling mount I used this, which is very highly rated here and on every web search I've done:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It needed to be a few inches down from the ceiling, and rather than get a pole extension I added wood blocks screwed together so the whole assembly is basically screwed to the house rafters. Solid as it could be.
post #1534 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post

Same stuff I've done... panel alignment and WOW, and the picture looks great on my 120" screen. For a ceiling mount I used this, which is very highly rated here and on every web search I've done:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It needed to be a few inches down from the ceiling, and rather than get a pole extension I added wood blocks screwed together so the whole assembly is basically screwed to the house rafters. Solid as it could be.

Yeah that Peerless is about as good as is gets, atleast thats what the ratings & reviews say. I've actually tried to order it before from Amazon, but they only carry the black version and I want it in white. And would definitely need the white 12" extension so that the projector can drop below a beam in the ceiling. I've also heard there is an updated aluminum version thats much lighter than the steel version.

Problem is Amazon doesn't sell that combo (aluminum & white). Looks like I'm going to have to order it directly from Peerless or another vendor.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1535 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Hey guys,

I have my new 5030 mounted about 12' 6" from, my 1.1 gain screen and about even with the top of the screen.

I am not overly excited about the brightness levels. It could just be a bit brighter.

The PJ could be moved up to 2.5' closer if necessary.

Does anyone know what the light loss per foot is?

post #1536 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Hey guys,

I have my new 5030 mounted about 12' 6" from, my 1.1 gain screen and about even with the top of the screen.

I am not overly excited about the brightness levels. It could just be a bit brighter.

I'de be interested to know this to. Set mine up yesterday and during the day even on dynamic it was not as bright as I was hoping. To be fair it isn't a light controlled room and I don't have a screen yet (thinking of going Carada BW 1.4). Not too concerned for me as most of my viewing is at night but my wife sometimes watches stuff during the day. Have to go to the new house and double check but I think the lens is a about 14.5' from the wall. Could move the mount and maybe get another 6"-1' closer. Wondering if it is worth it.

post #1537 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 335
Quote:

Hey guys,

If you use the calculator on projector central it will tell you what the lambert brightness measurement is for your distance, screen size & screen gain.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5030UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

For example on my 135" 16x9 screen with 1.1 gain.. if I'm shooting from 15 feet back then I should have a measure brightness of 19fL. BUT.. if I move the projector two feet closer then the measure brightness goes up to 24fl.

As you can imagine, Im mounting mine as close as possible which would be 13'2" from the screen. Well maybe i'll shoot from 14' back just to give me a little bit of wiggle/adjustment room.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1538 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

If you use the calculator on projector central it will tell you what the lambert brightness measurement is for your distance, screen size & screen gain.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5030UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I was using the calculator there. Somehow I didn't see the brightness measurement listed and still don't see it.
I see throw range, distance and screen size but no brightness measurement.

EDIT: OK, now I see it in small print.

The only issue is that the Image Diagonal and Throw Distance are tied together so I can't seem to get an accurate measurement.

post #1539 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a figure or means of calculating the per foot throw distance light loss?

post #1540 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 12:13 PM

Anyone have a link to the aluminum mount posted previously?  Lots of options, want to get the right one.  Or if you guys have different advice let me know please.

~~Quote: Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post Same stuff I've done... panel alignment and WOW, and the picture looks great on my 120" screen. For a ceiling mount I used this, which is very highly rated here and on every web search I've done: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It needed to be a few inches down from the ceiling, and rather than get a pole extension I added wood blocks screwed together so the whole assembly is basically screwed to the house rafters. Solid as it could be. Yeah that Peerless is about as good as is gets, atleast thats what the ratings & reviews say. I've actually tried to order it before from Amazon, but they only carry the black version and I want it in white. And would definitely need the white 12" extension so that the projector can drop below a beam in the ceiling. I've also heard there is an updated aluminum version thats much lighter than the steel version. Problem is Amazon doesn't sell that combo (aluminum & white). Looks like I'm going to have to order it directly from Peerless or another vendor

post #1541 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Can somebody test this please;)

Quote:

Hello there,

Best regards

Somebody?
post #1542 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Somebody?

Why would this movie be radically different than any other 3D movie?

post #1543 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRebel View Post

I'de be interested to know this to. Set mine up yesterday and during the day even on dynamic it was not as bright as I was hoping. To be fair it isn't a light controlled room and I don't have a screen yet (thinking of going Carada BW 1.4). Not too concerned for me as most of my viewing is at night but my wife sometimes watches stuff during the day. Have to go to the new house and double check but I think the lens is a about 14.5' from the wall. Could move the mount and maybe get another 6"-1' closer. Wondering if it is worth it.

I am going to get the Carada Criterion BW 1.4 (118"). The reviews have been great and the customer service is second to none.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #1544 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Hello there,

Best regards

This movie is quite different than most 3D films. First, the separation between left and right eye views is very wide. This makes it harder for some people to converge the two views into one 3D image and will probably lead to more eye fatigue. Second, almost every scene has high contrast - dark details against a snowy background. These two things make for some severe ghosting on displays prone to show it. The good news is that the Epson 5030 handles it pretty well, but you need to do a couple of things to get the best results. Wait a little longer with the film in 3D mode before you start to play it. Like some other projectors, the Epson gets better the longer it's in high lamp mode (which is switches to automatically for 3D). For most 3D films, 5-6 minutes is all you need for normal ghosting to disappear. For Happy Feet Two, double or even triple that time for the projector to start looking it's best. I also set "3D Brightness" to "Low" (in the menu, under "Signal>3D Setup"). This opens and closes the 3D shutter glasses at a faster rate to help prevent ghosting in certain films. I keep it at "Medium" most of the time. You get less brightness in "Low" mode, but that is compensated for in "Happy Feet Two" because it's such a bright snowy movie. If you do these things, HF2 looks like most other 3D films on the 5030 - that is, really good. smile.gif

Joe Clark

post #1545 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is there any owners that have had to returned their 5030s? I spoke with a member here that had to return his 8350 three times.
post #1546 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

Is there any owners that have had to returned their 5030s? I spoke with a member here that had to return his 8350 three times.

Of course there are. With any mass produced electronics there are going to be DOAs and other quality control issues/problems. There is always a rate of failure.

post #1547 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course there are. With any mass produced electronics there are going to be DOAs and other quality control issues/problems. There is always a rate of failure.
I guess I meant is there a widespread issue etc..
post #1548 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Can someone please confirm for sure whether the split-screen (side by side) feature is not available in this model? I don't mean PiP, but rather the two inputs displayed next to one another at the same size. Some posts early on in the thread suggest there might be, but there's no mention of it in the manual or on the Epson website.
post #1549 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I meant is there a widespread issue etc..

Gotcha, nah, no systemic or more than typical returns. There would be a problems thread if that were the case.

post #1550 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

This movie is quite different than most 3D films. First, the separation between left and right eye views is very wide. This makes it harder for some people to converge the two views into one 3D image and will probably lead to more eye fatigue. Second, almost every scene has high contrast - dark details against a snowy background. These two things make for some severe ghosting on displays prone to show it. The good news is that the Epson 5030 handles it pretty well, but you need to do a couple of things to get the best results. Wait a little longer with the film in 3D mode before you start to play it. Like some other projectors, the Epson gets better the longer it's in high lamp mode (which is switches to automatically for 3D). For most 3D films, 5-6 minutes is all you need for normal ghosting to disappear. For Happy Feet Two, double or even triple that time for the projector to start looking it's best. I also set "3D Brightness" to "Low" (in the menu, under "Signal>3D Setup"). This opens and closes the 3D shutter glasses at a faster rate to help prevent ghosting in certain films. I keep it at "Medium" most of the time. You get less brightness in "Low" mode, but that is compensated for in "Happy Feet Two" because it's such a bright snowy movie. If you do these things, HF2 looks like most other 3D films on the 5030 - that is, really good. smile.gif

So on the epson 5030 this movie is also a heavy ghoster??

Best regards
post #1551 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

So far, mine looks really good out of the box, though the more I look at the picture, I can see the need for calibration. But no obvious panel misalignment, stuck pixels, or dust in the optics. This might be Epson's biggest seller for the season, and as such, if there were problems, people would be screaming.
post #1552 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha, nah, no systemic or more than typical returns. There would be a problems thread if that were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

So far, mine looks really good out of the box, though the more I look at the picture, I can see the need for calibration. But no obvious panel misalignment, stuck pixels, or dust in the optics. This might be Epson's biggest seller for the season, and as such, if there were problems, people would be screaming.

Yeah, you don't ever hear the praise on the complaints most of the time.
post #1553 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So on the epson 5030 this movie is also a heavy ghoster??

Best regards

The 5030 is well known for excellent 3D performance.
Read the reviews....

Even if there were less than perfect results on this one particular title, how many times do you plan on watching the same movie?

post #1554 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:

The 5030 is well known for excellent 3D performance.
Read the reviews....

Even if there were less than perfect results on this one particular title, how many times do you plan on watching the same movie?

Hello i know its a great projector;)

But i realy like to know how it handles this movie..
Because this movie is a torture test..

And we can see if we can improve the ghosting on this movie with a firmware update..wink.gif
post #1555 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Be honest: you spend your days watching Happy Feet 2 on repeat.
post #1556 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Hello i know its a great projector;)

But i realy like to know how it handles this movie..
Because this movie is a torture test..

And we can see if we can improve the ghosting on this movie with a firmware update..wink.gif

I thought I made it clear that the 5030 handles this movie very well. I just watched it this afternoon so I could answer the question. Once it's warmed up thoroughly and 3D brightness is set to low (to speed up the flashing of the shutter glasses), there is very little ghosting. It's well above the "threshold of acceptability" for me. That's the point below which I can't enjoy a 3D film because of technical issues with its production - ghosting, image brightness, convergence errors, contrast, whatever. As many others have noted, except for DLP projectors, the Epson's probably handle 3D with the least amount of ghosting. If you must have zero ghosting, get a DLP. But DLP has its own problems - RBE for those susceptible to it, and generally lower contrast. I wouldn't trade the Epson's 2D performance for a single chip DLP, and I've owned several DLP's over the years. Some people opt for a dual projector setup (one for 2D and one for 3D), but that would be overkill for me given the Epson's generally superior 3D performance. As always, YMMV.

And as I also noted, Happy Feet Two is a very unusual 3D title. I did have to take the extra step of lowering the 3D Brightness, and it took a few extra minutes to warm up fully. For all other films, I keep that 3D brightness set on medium, and ghosting almost never bothers me.

I don't understand why the producers chose to release HF2 the way they did. From a technical point of view, the extra left/right image separation looked unnecessary. And it definitely created a ghosting torture test. There had to be returns because people thought something was wrong with the disc. I can't imagine being able to sit through that film on my old JVC RS45. It gives me shivers just thinking about it. biggrin.gif

Joe Clark

post #1557 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Thanks guys!

I notice some vertical banding, but only in one part of the screen, so I don't know yet if it's due to the new screen material, which is an HC gray vinyl, or if it's projector related.

Since I recently auditioned an Optoma HD-25 LV, I have to say, the 3D on the new Optoma was phenomenal, and better than the 5030ub. Better than anything I've seen in a theater in fact, probably due to the added brightness of the Optoma. Also as we know, there's no crosstalk with DLP, so the image and depth separation are as crisp as could be. If my budget and space could accomodate it, I would own the 25 LV as a dedicated 3D projector. I did see one instance of RBE in 3D, and that was during a particularly high contrast shot in Creature from the Black Lagoon.
x
Could you tell me if the 2d picture quality was close between the two. Thanks for any reply.
post #1558 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi guys -

Currently have an Infocus SP7205 here and need a replacement. Projector is in a ~20' x 24' room and projecting on a 133" diagonal Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen (gray, 1:1 gain I believe). Projector lens is about 237" back.

I'm looking at the Epson 5030UB as a possible replacement, but unless I'm reading things incorrectly it looks like a I may see a loss in image brightness?

If I go to www.projectorcentral.com and look at my current setup it looks like I get an image brightness of 20 fl:

If I look at my current setup with the Epson I see a drop to 14 fl:

Am I reading this correctly? That despite the higher lumens on the Epson I would see a reduction in image brightness? If so I definitely cannot afford that...

Thanks in advance for any info.
post #1559 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Put the Epson in living room mode and it will be a fair amount brighter than the Infocus.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1560 of 4392 Old 12-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Put the Epson in living room mode and it will be a fair amount brighter than the Infocus.

OK, so the Epson sounds like a good fit for me still? I try to keep the lights dim in that room but the fam usually likes some dim lighting when we're viewing. The SP7205 is acceptable, especially with a fresh lamp, but I want to be sure I'm not taking a step backwards. And any increase of brightness to combat the ambient light is ideal!

Any comments about the screen I'm using? It's a motorized (Da-Lite Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol) that I purchased from you guys back in 2005.

Thanks!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page