Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question can anyone tell me what the optimal throw distance is for the 5030 for a 102inch screen. The calculators I've found won't work on my iPhone because they need flash player. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven in Balto View Post

- High Contrast Grey. Ended up going with the grey screen because I have a short throw distance (10' and change), some color in the walls and I like to keep some ambient light on when watching sports.
1. What is the best way to focus the image? Do I use the pattern generator built into the projector? And, do I first zoom the image in closer, then focus and then set it to the proper zoom, or set the final zoom level first and then focus?
2. I like the THX settings, but as I suspected with the grey screen (.8 gain), it is a bit dark. For those with grey screens, which settings should I tweak to get a THX level of image on a darker screen material?
3. What's the best way to center the image on the screen? I assume I should use the mount (Peerless) to get it as close as possible and only then use the lense shift? I have had a bit of a problem getting the image to fully fit all corners of the screen without somewhat over-zooming; any advce on how to deal with that issue?
4. Will need a new Blu-Ray player. Given the video processing abilities (or deficiencies) of the 5030, is there a consensus on the best one to pair with this projector? I do want streaming capabilities if possible.
1 - I don't have any idea if it's the best way, but I just used the pattern and WOW. I tried to get my wife to help, but ended up finding it easier just to do it myself.
2 - I suggest using the Living Room mode and using your WOW disk for gray scale and color calibration.
3 - Just as you thought. I have a bit of spill-over onto the black velvet surround of my screen, and it seems that most people do as well.
4 - I use a PS3, probably among the best BD players out there short of Oppo.
post #1623 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid88 View Post

Quick question can anyone tell me what the optimal throw distance is for the 5030 for a 102inch screen. The calculators I've found won't work on my iPhone because they need flash player. Thanks
10' minimum, 21'-4" maximum
post #1624 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post

10' minimum, 21'-4" maximum

Thanks, so the best spot would be right in the middle of that approx 15foot ?
post #1625 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid88 View Post

Thanks, so the best spot would be right in the middle of that approx 15foot ?
Personal preference. I have my projector at near the minimum distance, only about 8" back from the minimum for a 120" diagonal. If I were confident in my ability to place the projector, it would have been at the very minimum, but that 8" or so gave me a bit of wiggle room in case something unforeseen happened in the placement. The reason I wanted it as close as I could manage was for image brightness, however, as I understand it, this comes at the expense of some image distortion as pincushion or something like that. It depends on what you mean by optimal. Optimal brightness? Optimal (minimum) image distortion? My *guess* is that the middle of the range is the minimal image distortion, but it might be at the furthest distance, at the expense of image brightness. Someone else will need to chime in when it comes to optimal image distortion.
post #1626 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Has anyone been able to get the HDMI controls to work with their Receiver?
post #1627 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post

Only 2D viewing so far, looking to order a dedicated player for 3D viewing.

If you have the funds, bite the bullet and go with the OPPO BDP-103. What an awesome machine. biggrin.gif

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #1628 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post

Ordered a few extra Samsung glasses (5100s as recommended in this thread) as well.
If you have the funds, bite the bullet and go with the OPPO BDP-103. What an awesome machine. biggrin.gif

The Oppo is great. Also, the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 is a great player too. It's very fast at loading / starting (it's actually faster than my previous-gen Oppo) and it's a PC Magazine "Editor's Choice".

At about $100 online it's a fantastic value.

IMHO the downsides are that the menu system is not nearly as nice as the Oppo's, and by default the DBT230 shows you Panasonic ads (note it takes about 15 seconds to turn the ads off, so not a big deal).

For common usage, the Panasonic is about 95% as good as an Oppo at 1/5 the price, IMHO.
post #1629 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

yep second that, I have a oppo 93 feeding my brand new 9200w (6030) and picture is stunning watched pacific rim in awe, I wanted to know if the Disney wow disk was worth playing around with as I am just using thx for night and a tweaked dynamic for day use. I would love to have it professionally calibrated but where I live I doubt that anyone would even know how, any good settings any one uses would be great. cheers
post #1630 of 3470 Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I just got the Oppo 103 myself, but have only had only a brief opportunity to kick-the-tires. From what little I've seen, it's already living up to the hype.

Likewise, my brand new 5030 is still boxed up -- still another 24 hours before I'll have the time to fire it up.mad.gif
post #1631 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

...At what distance do you think someone COULD begin to see SDE on a 134" 16:9 screen?

For the 5030 specifically (since other PJs may have a different pixel structure) I'm not sure, but it's probably around 9', depending on how good your eyes are. And then it bothers some people more than others.

I have better than 20-20 vision in both eyes and I sit exactly 9 feet from a 92 inch diagonal screen when using my 5030.  I cannot see any SDE here.

post #1632 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Sorry, should have been more clear. I went with a media streamer instead - I try to avoid dealing with discs here, with the kids, etc...

I ended up ordering a Mede8er MED600X3D and can't wait to get it in!
post #1633 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home theater View Post

Taking a survey. My 5030 will not play DIRECTV 3d. I contacted them and was told Epson projectors are not compatible with DIRECTTV receivers. I contacted Epson and was told using side to side format the projector would work. I tried side to side format and it does not work. I know this is a handshake issue. Any one else experience their 5030 not playing DIRECTV 3d. Is there a way around this. blue ray plays fine.

It should work, but it doesnt. DirecTV intentionally handicapped the EDID compatibility of its receivers. You can look up other threads on AVSForum and the only luck some people had was running an HDMI directly into their TV/projector. AVR's tend to mess things up. It also helps if you have an older H21 or HR21.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #1634 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi Guys, just got a new 6030 and have a question-the 6030 forum directed me over here. I want to adjust the RGB offset/gains for each "Color Mode" (THX, Cinema, etc) and save it. When I make a change to the default settings in THX, then it changes the settings in all of the other color modes to the same as I made in the THX. I tried using the Memory function, but it also erases one group of settings and replaces it with the newer set, even though I tried to give them separate names in the memory panel.
EPSON support told me that the Memory is only for professional calibrators and there is no way to save separate RGB settings for each color mode. This seems strange, since I can enter the Memory settings and it allows you to make changes. I must be doing something incorrectly
I would like to have it professionally calibrated at some time, but right now I am using a temp screen of black-out cloth until we decide on the best size for the screen (and then which screen)-also, where I live I don't believe that I could find an isf-certified tech.
I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
post #1635 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Yes, it's kind of annoying that the advanced controls are global. But they are saved in the memories, so once you start using memories just make sure you use memories for everything. i.e. tweak each mode as you like it and store each one in a different memory, then only switch using the memories and never use the standard colour modes again (since they won't have the standard values any more, they will have the advanced settings from the last memory that you loaded).

At least that what it seems to me. I think it would have been much better to have *all* settings stored per colour mode.
post #1636 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I've been calibrating 5030's with 4 different configs:

2D Natural Low Lamp (gamma and color space is better than THX)
2D Natural High Lamp
2D Living Room High Lamp (1200+ lumens @ D65, nice!)
3D Cinema High Lamp (Calibrated behind the glasses, what a difference it makes to see 3D in correct color)

All require unique RGB settings for correct greyscale. I'm saving each one into a specific memory slot and believe I may have found a bug with the software when switching between 2D and 3D..

for example:

If I use the memory settings to load each of the three 2D modes, the RGB settings will change accordingly... BUT.. if I go into 3D mode, the system will appear to swap to the 3D setting, but I am still looking at the previous 2D mode's RGB setting. I must then load the specific 3D memory mode I configured once it's in 3D.

The same thing occurs when going back to 2D mode. After the change, I must then load one of the three 2D modes in order to 'shake free' the RGB settings that were previously set for 3D.

The workaround is simple. Just make sure and load the correct memory setting when going back and forth between 2D and 3D, it's an extra step, but not that big of a deal.

note: the 5030 has a wide greyscale shift between low lamp and high (in any mode). Low, Natural mode is as good as it gets for OOTB. High lamp is a different story with double digit dE's and you can easily see how far off it is from baseline. JVC and Sony are much better in this regard between low/high lamp greyscale variances. The good news is, it's easily corrected with calibration equipment.
Justin Morgan likes this.
post #1637 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I have better than 20-20 vision in both eyes and I sit exactly 9 feet from a 92 inch diagonal screen when using my 5030.  I cannot see any SDE here.

16:9?
What happens at 8ft? That's about the distance/size ration I am thinking about for a 2.25:1 screen.
post #1638 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

What happens at 8ft? That's about the distance/size ration I am thinking about for a 2.25:1 screen.

Yes, 16:9, 92 inch diagonal. IDk about 8 feet but when I watch a movie this evening I will test it for you. 

post #1639 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

...I may have found a bug with the software when switching between 2D and 3D..

for example:

If I use the memory settings to load each of the three 2D modes, the RGB settings will change accordingly... BUT.. if I go into 3D mode, the system will appear to swap to the 3D setting, but I am still looking at the previous 2D mode's RGB setting. I must then load the specific 3D memory mode I configured once it's in 3D.

The same thing occurs when going back to 2D mode. After the change, I must then load one of the three 2D modes in order to 'shake free' the RGB settings that were previously set for 3D.

The workaround is simple. Just make sure and load the correct memory setting when going back and forth between 2D and 3D, it's an extra step, but not that big of a deal.

I think that's just a side effect of the global RGB settings. When it switches automatically to 3D it's switching to one of the standard 3D modes (which don't have their own RGB settings), and you have to load a specific memory to get the calibrated RGB settings.

It might be by design, rather than a bug, but it's brain dead. Once you calibrate you have to remember only ever to switch modes using memories (and load the memory again after the PJ switches modes automatically). People who've had their systems calibrated probably end up watching with the wrong settings much of the time.
post #1640 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I've been calibrating 5030's with 4 different configs:

2D Natural Low Lamp (gamma and color space is better than THX)
2D Natural High Lamp
2D Living Room High Lamp (1200+ lumens @ D65, nice!)
3D Cinema High Lamp (Calibrated behind the glasses, what a difference it makes to see 3D in correct color)

All require unique RGB settings for correct greyscale. I'm saving each one into a specific memory slot and believe I may have found a bug with the software when switching between 2D and 3D..

for example:

note: the 5030 has a wide greyscale shift between low lamp and high (in any mode). Low, Natural mode is as good as it gets for OOTB. High lamp is a different story with double digit dE's and you can easily see how far off it is from baseline. JVC and Sony are much better in this regard between low/high lamp greyscale variances. The good news is, it's easily corrected with calibration equipment.

I have the same problem with my 6010...
post #1641 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

8ft should be pretty close for that small of a screen. I bet it just makes it.

post #1642 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am looking for alternate 3D glasses for my 6030. It seems the Samsung SSG-5100GB works with the 5030-
can anybody confirm that they work with the 6030? Does the Epson use RF or IR signal?
(never even thought that I would watch anything in 3D, but had a copy of Bolt on hand, popped it in and was pleasantly suprised at how much I enjoyed the experience).
One final question, are the Samsung glasses comfortable to wear over eyeglasses?
Thanks
post #1643 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If they work with the 5030, they'll work with the 6030. They're RF and very comfortable over my regular eyeglasses.

Joe Clark

post #1644 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

One final question, are the Samsung glasses comfortable to wear over eyeglasses?
Thanks

I just received my 5100GBs from Amazon yesterday and both of my kids (5 and 8) absolutely loved them. They are lighter, more flexible and smaller. PERFECT for kids and still definitely great for adults. I may even use these myself over the EPSON glasses. We'll have to see. biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how well they would work over eye glasses. Hopefully someone else can chime in about that.

I have been searching the internet high and low for the right stand/rack/holder for my 6 pairs of 3D glasses. Being that I have 4 pair of the 5100GBs, I need something with holes in it that can hold the glasses "as is" (since the arms do not fold in like most eye/sun glasses). I ordered this cheap acrylic holder and I'll just keep it in the equipment room by the DVD rack - out of sight:

http://www.organizeit.com/acrylic-display-stand-sunglasses.asp?cmpid=gpa&gclid=CKyF2JfOqbsCFQrxOgodxF8AsQ

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #1645 of 3470 Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 PM

I think my 5030 has convergence issues. I took the advice here and adjusted brightness, contrast, etc.

The menu text still doesn't look correct. Here is a pic. This is before panel alignment. You can see non white colors.

During alignment, before making changes.

After alignment, the left side has a blue line; the right side looks pretty good. The right edge looks fine, but it get progressively worse as one moves to the left.

Does my unit look like it needs to be replaced? Thanks.
post #1646 of 3470 Old 12-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm upgrading to the 103 from the 83. I've been switching off with a Sony for 3D purposes, but I want an all in one player, and I hate the Panasonic menus, so the Oppo 103 and region free mod are on the way!
post #1647 of 3470 Old 12-13-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by torht View Post

I think my 5030 has convergence issues. I took the advice here and adjusted brightness, contrast, etc.

After alignment, the left side has a blue line; the right side looks pretty good. The right edge looks fine, but it get progressively worse as one moves to the left.

Does my unit look like it needs to be replaced? Thanks.

I have the same blue line in the upper left hand half. It is not an issue when viewing content, only alignment. It does not bother me and I am going to live with it.

post #1648 of 3470 Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Liked: 11

Firmware updates for this projector? Has anyone bothered with this...I don't presently see any updates available for the 5030/6030, but curious if anyone has inquired with Epson?

Not experiencing issues - still in bloody box - but I always prefer to do these types of updates before diving into new electrics.

TIA

post #1649 of 3470 Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:

Whats the big/main difference between the Oppo and something like the PS3 or PS4/XB1?

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1650 of 3470 Old 12-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Whats the big/main difference between the Oppo and something like the PS3 or PS4/XB1?

Do any of the consoles handle 3D blu ray yet? I'm sure there are plenty here who can get down to specifics about the various video and audio capabilities of the Oppo 103, but aside from that, it's the quality of the build (case, power supply, disc mechanism) and the fact that Oppo supports it so well, and updates the firmware frequently, and caters to the enthusiast community. They actually respond to feedback, and tell you what they're planning to do next. For me, it's also the fact that you can easily get hardware mods to make the player region free, and you'd be hard pressed to find a disc that it won't play.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page