post #1711 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoohnSF View Post

I used these settings to get the subtitles to be rendered properly. Per default, I was seeing double subtitles, but after tweaking these settings (had to set screen size to 110, rather than 140, which is what I actually have), I got them to be displayed pretty nicely. I assume the tweaking affects the whole picture, but I only noticed it on the the subtitles, where it made a big difference.

It looks like the screen size controls the amount of offset between the left and right eye images? Hopefully someone on this thread will know exactly what they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

It looks like the screen size controls the amount of offset between the left and right eye images? Hopefully someone on this thread will know exactly what they do.

Yes, probably something like that. I do find it interesting that there is a setting for screen size without also having a setting for viewing distance. It seems like you'd need both to be able to make any accurate calculations.

post #1713 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 31
I love my PJ, but this weekend I finally got digital cable hooked up in the room. As usual, some channels look better than others, but I'm disappointed that High Def cable looks a bit soft. Blu Rays look much better by comparison. Anyone else experience this?
post #1714 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post

I love my PJ, but this weekend I finally got digital cable hooked up in the room. As usual, some channels look better than others, but I'm disappointed that High Def cable looks a bit soft. Blu Rays look much better by comparison. Anyone else experience this?

By the way, it doesn't matter if I have the cable box set to 1080 I or 720 p...
post #1715 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Recommend making separate picture setting memories in projector one for bluray another for TV. Play with the Super Resolution settings to get TV cable/sat to look better/sharper. Also consider a Darbee Darblet.
post #1716 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Recommend making separate picture setting memories in projector one for bluray another for TV. Play with the Super Resolution settings to get TV cable/sat to look better/sharper. Also consider a Darbee Darblet.

Oppo 103D would be a nice upgrade for those looking to upgrade their blu-ray player. The Darbee is built into the Oppo.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #1717 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Liked: 12
Hello,
I received the 5030UB last week, and am seeing one potential issue. With the projector set on a shelf overhead, I set the picture height, width and position etc to cover the screen end-to-end. However, once I see a 3-D movie and then return to 2D, the picture shifts ever so slightly out of the screen. Has anyone else seen this issue? I am guessing it is best to exchange it with Best Buy while I have the option?

I also find this model to be more difficult to set image position-wise as compared to the 8500UB I had before it went kaput. Oh well..
post #1718 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

Hello,

I received the 5030UB last week, and am seeing one potential issue. With the projector set on a shelf overhead, I set the picture height, width and position etc to cover the screen end-to-end. However, once I see a 3-D movie and then return to 2D, the picture shifts ever so slightly out of the screen. Has anyone else seen this issue? I am guessing it is best to exchange it with Best Buy while I have the option?

I also find this model to be more difficult to set image position-wise as compared to the 8500UB I had before it went kaput. Oh well..

Curious to know how long / how many hours you had on the 8500 before it went belly up?

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #1719 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000HD View Post

I've got a 5030 with a good overall convergence but still had a green line on the left side. I've ask Epson for a replacement and the new one still have the green line and a poorer convergence... Does every 5030 have this line???
Should I have for a 3rd projector?

Your red panel isn't aligned properly on that side. Go into panel adjust and adjust the red with RGB on. You'll see the green disappear. I had it on mine and it's gone now.

Elio
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #1720 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

Hello,

Curious to know how long / how many hours you had on the 8500 before it went belly up?

It was close to 2200 hours just before 3 years. A magenta / green line appeared at the top and bottom - may people got this issue on the 8500. Luckily AmEx took the projector back and returned me the amount.
post #1721 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

Quote:

Oppo 103D would be a nice upgrade for those looking to upgrade their blu-ray player. The Darbee is built into the Oppo.

I prefer separate Darbee unit placed between A/V receiver and projector so used with all sources (e g., poster said Bluray looks good but sat/cable not good). I think the Oppo allows other sources to be plugged into it to use its image processing but to me that makes more complicated connections with HDMI and source switching.
post #1722 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Just replaced lamp on my 6010 after 2938 hours on it never any flickering etc started eco then around 1200 set it to normal. Lamp still looked pretty good in 2D but lacking in lumens for 3D. I wanted to post because 5030/6030 are refinements since 5010/6010 vs redesign so I would expect this type if lamp life with 5030/6030. Best I have ever gotten for hours on lamp of any other projector I have owned is half this with lamp usually flickering towards end of useful life.
post #1723 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:

I prefer separate Darbee unit placed between A/V receiver and projector so used with all sources (e g., poster said Bluray looks good but sat/cable not good). I think the Oppo allows other sources to be plugged into it to use its image processing but to me that makes more complicated connections with HDMI and source switching.
I have five sources going through an HDMI switch into the back HDMI input of a 103D, to take advantage of the Oppo video processing (and Darbee) for any video source. The Oppo HDMI output 1 goes to a 8 way HDMI splitter, with output 2 going to an AVR for dedicated HT projector room audio. Very pleased with using the Oppo this way as a video processor, and of course any Darbee improvements can be incorporated into the periodic Oppo firmware updates - the firmware on the standalone Darbee is not user upgradeable.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #1724 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Quote:

You are almost always going to find this to be the case. This doesn't have to do with resolution (1080p vs 720p) so much as compression. Digital cable heavily compresses their signal for bandwidth reasons, so the image quality can be quite poor, especially when compared to a good Blu Ray disc. As others have stated, some of this can be improved with image settings on the projector, and further improved with a processor like the Darbee Darblet. No matter what you do, though, the quality is going to be better on Blu Ray.
willymo likes this.
post #1725 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

Your red panel isn't aligned properly on that side. Go into panel adjust and adjust the red with RGB on. You'll see the green disappear. I had it on mine and it's gone now.

Elio

Tkx Elio but the Green Line apprear once i've the red... Maybe I should let the red an little offset on this side.
post #1726 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Tkx Elio but the Green Line apprear once i've the red... Maybe I should let the red an little offset on this side.

Yeah. My red had to offset a bit to the side as well. Totally not noticeable when you're watching any content.
post #1727 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryan View Post

You are almost always going to find this to be the case. This doesn't have to do with resolution (1080p vs 720p) so much as compression. Digital cable heavily compresses their signal for bandwidth reasons, so the image quality can be quite poor, especially when compared to a good Blu Ray disc. As others have stated, some of this can be improved with image settings on the projector, and further improved with a processor like the Darbee Darblet. No matter what you do, though, the quality is going to be better on Blu Ray.

Thanks! What's funny is that I had a darbee for a couple of days and it died on me (this was before I had cable installed in the theater). I felt that the pj with blu ray/games looked fine enough without it, so I just sent it back for a refund. After my experience with it braking down so quickly, I felt it wasn't worth 300 plus dollars....
post #1728 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! What's funny is that I had a darbee for a couple of days and it died on me (this was before I had cable installed in the theater). I felt that the pj with blu ray/games looked fine enough without it, so I just sent it back for a refund. After my experience with it braking down so quickly, I felt it wasn't worth 300 plus dollars....

I've had my Darblet for over a year no problems too bad you didn't get to see it work with cable before it died. Totally off topic but I find it laughable that I hear Netflix and others planning 4K material/distribution. Uh how about getting a decent pic quality out of 1080i/1080p broadcasting and streaming before moving onto 4K resolution??! The amount of compression is awful especially noticeable by us projector owners.
post #1729 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post

I still need to paint that white ceiling plate once I get the paint out to touch up other spots on the ceiling (where my ceiling mount was). The shelf pretty much fits the projector perfectly. I didn't crank the pivot bolt down completely, but it's pretty tight and I doubt it will move unless someone really bumps it - but I will tighten it if needed.

Pictures don't look so great mostly because of the flash, but it really does look pretty nice. Certainly better than my ceiling mount did.

What brand mount is the projector sitting on? And where did you get it?

It's gorgeous

Thanks

Custer
post #1730 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I've got a 5030 with a good overall convergence but still had a green line on the left side. I've ask Epson for a replacement and the new one still have the green line and a poorer convergence... Does every 5030 have this line???
Should I have for a 3rd projector?

I posted about a similar issue a few pages back, though I thought the line looked blue instead of green. I am probably going to ask for a replacement. When I had the blue line, there is an overall slight reddish tint to the display.
post #1731 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGI7V4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OmniMount ECSB
post #1732 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGI7V4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OmniMount ECSB

Can't beat the price! Cool shelf!

post #1733 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 PM

I'm building a new home, and my home theater will be 16'x32' with 9' ceilings. I'm planning purchasing the Epson 5030ub, with either a 120" or 130" screen. I've visited the Epson and Projector Central site to determine placement of all things, except the drop distance of the projector. To be fair, the Epson calculated states to place it 3'+.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

So I need help to determine that placement factor. I would like the screen to be at least 1.5' below the ceiling.

HELP!
post #1734 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Custer View Post

It's gorgeous

Thanks

Custer

For Canadian users, especially GTA users, you can get it from here 

http://www.avteck.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DVX1S

I just got mine today. I saw they have another 2 but on the website says out of stock. They should have this unit re-stock within 2-4 weeks if you can wait, great price but quality is just so so

post #1735 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

What exactly do the depth and screen size settings in the 3D menu do? It seems to me that putting the screen size to the smallest setting (60") gives a stronger illusion of depth. My screen is 110". The 3D Depth setting actually shrinks the image and adds a black border at either extreme (I think it's -4 and +4). Does anyone have a good understanding of what these settings actually do to the image?

So, no one knows what the 3D settings do? Next stop Epson, I guess.
post #1736 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 PM

What type of screens is everyone using with their Epson projectors? Size, brand, screen gain?
post #1737 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 05:38 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DImagination View Post

What type of screens is everyone using with their Epson projectors? Size, brand, screen gain?

I'm waiting for my new screen to be delivered. I bought a Stewart Cima fixed frame Neve 1.1 gain 135"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/943698-REG/stewart_filmscreen_00900_1135h_cima_135_16_9_hdtv.html

post #1738 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DImagination View Post

VAPEX 106" tab-tensioned 1.1 gain

post #1739 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
DaLite High Power Cinema Contour screen, 110", 2.8 gain.

Joe Clark

post #1740 of 3392 Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torht View Post

I posted about a similar issue a few pages back, though I thought the line looked blue instead of green. I am probably going to ask for a replacement. When I had the blue line, there is an overall slight reddish tint to the display.
Hey guys my new 9200w has a single pixel out and Epson are going to replace it, the thing is it has nearly perfect convergence and I watched 2 full movies yesterday and not once noticed the pixel out so would you guys swap it out? I just don't want to get a worse one like this, I did the grid test yesterday and it is perfectly white it needed no adjustment at all. The pixel is white on black screen but a slight pink on white I tried the pixel flipper for bout 30 mins then turned it off but still out. What to do?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page