post #1981 of 3553 Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

I need some help with my 6030-I am not sure what to set the Video output from my Sony S570 Blu-ray player to. The choices are :
Auto
YCbCr 4:2:2
YCbCr 4:4:4
RGB

I have tried using each and to my untrained eye, can't really see much difference. I also tried using a demo screen from the HD Basics DVD for 1:1 pixel analysis, but am not really sure what I should be looking for , what I see is distortion in almost all of the boxes, regardless of what the video output of the Sony is set at.
I would really appreciate your expertise regarding the output setting.
Thank you.
That's very source dependent, so unless you know what the source was mastered in, I'd leave it on auto. Then it also depends on which device has the better chroma processing and conversion, the bluray player or the projector. Very similar answer as the "where do I do my scaling and deinterlacing" question.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everyone, in the early process of researching my first HT setup. I've settled on the 5030UB, but am not sure about the screen. I consider 3D-movie viewing to be a priority and understand image brightness is the biggest concern with projectors. What is the maximum screen size (16:9) that this PJ can create a very good-to-excellent 3D experience with?  I'm hoping for at least a 120" with 1.1 gain, or if you would recommend, 1.4 gain. 

post #1983 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 AM

I bought yesterday 9200W projector. I'm just starting out with all features. One question arose. Why I do not possible have a choice at all THX mode. Not in 2D and 3D viewing. Thank you.

It does not appear at all in the menu. Not a gray and clear.

post #1984 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I've read Art's 5030 review.
Quote:
Mike Calibrated Cinema mode. Post calibration: 644 lumens
^ Is this with or without eco lamp mode?
^ This is at middle zoom range?
post #1985 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 62
What is the difference between Epson's TW9200 and TW8200? Lumens and contrast look the same on spec sheet. confused.gif
post #1986 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I've read Art's 5030 review.
^ Is this with or without eco lamp mode?
^ This is at middle zoom range?

Projector Reviews uses mid-zoom for the quoted lumens output and they also include info as to how much the lumens change when going to max. or to min. zoom setting. In the case of the 5030 the PR reviews shows that the lumens output in dynamic mode increased from 1622 lumens to 2083 lumens, or an increase of 28%, in going from mid-zoom to max. zoom. Also the quoted "best" calibrated mode is for normal lamp mode (i.e., high lamp).

I have a 5020 positioned for nearly max. zoom and get around 900 lumens with calibration. One thing about these Epson projectors (also applies to 5010, 5020, ....) is that it is possible to calibrate for a brighter mode and still get fairly accurate colors, just not the most accurate possible with these projectors. Even with the dynamic mode (the projector's brightest, but least accurate pre-set mode) the grey scale can be adjusted to get more accurate color temp and this produces 1500+ lumens that is OK for casual viewing (e.g., watching football with the buddies) in a moderately lighted room.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #1987 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am considering upgrading from the Epson 8350 to the 5030. I have a light-controlled room, and use my PJ mostly for Windows games, though movie performance is also important. I am mainly interested in upgrading to the 5030 so that I can enjoy Windows games in 3D.

Has anyone tried using this PJ with Nvidia's 3d TV driver software?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

Theoretically this should let you play most Windows games in 3d with the Epson glasses. But, I don't know that you can use Fast mode in 3D, meaning you'd have some significant lag... If anyone can comment on this setup I would love to hear about it.
post #1988 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm still fairly new to projectors. I have been using a Epsn 7500ub which is the same as the 6500ub. I bought it used for around $500 and I was hoping it would last longer. Unfortunately it has a pink line at the bottom and a blue one at the top. Anyway, How much of an improvement should I expect over the 7500 by going with the 5030?? Also, My 7500 had the lense shift. From what I see the 5030 doesn't? Does it have another such function called something dirrerent? Thanks for any help!
post #1989 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

I just looked up my stats for my hd20. Says its 1700 ANSI lumens. The 5030 says 2400 lumens but doesn't state whether its ANSI or not.

I've seen the 3d performance of the epson 3010 and was amazed (my friends projector). I noticed it was brighter than my projector

The 5030 is quite a bit more expensive than the 3010. The way I see it , and if I talk myself into it. , if I liked her projector. There's probably no reason why I wouldn't like the 5030

Ill probably buy from best buy cause they have the 2 year financing thing

yo, im 21,, wanna chat HT pm me for my messenger name
post #1990 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

I'm still fairly new to projectors. I have been using a Epsn 7500ub which is the same as the 6500ub. I bought it used for around $500 and I was hoping it would last longer. Unfortunately it has a pink line at the bottom and a blue one at the top. Anyway, How much of an improvement should I expect over the 7500 by going with the 5030?? Also, My 7500 had the lense shift. From what I see the 5030 doesn't? Does it have another such function called something dirrerent? Thanks for any help!

The 5030 has both vertical and horizontal lens shift, a lot of each.
post #1991 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

The 5030 has ample horizontal and vertical lens shift.

Joe Clark

post #1992 of 3553 Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Great! Thanks for the reply!
post #1993 of 3553 Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 AM

All,

I have a 5030UB which is connected to a Pioneer SC-1222k which in turn is being fed by a Haswell-based HTPC using the integrated graphics. Content currently is WMC LiveTV via a Ceton card and Blu-ray via TMT 3.

Among my issues is that whenever I turn on FI (even on Low), I get lag and a lack of sync between the video and the audio. My deductive reasoning tells me the issue is that the receiver delivers the audio and video in sync and the FI processing of the video signal in the 5030ub causes the video to be delivered slightly behind the audio.

Does anyone else have a similar scenario and how do you compensate for this with different settings for differing content? For instance, I want to run FI for TV and especially sports, but not for my Blu-rays. But, if I set the receiver to compensate for the lag, then I'll have an issue with FI off?

Any input is much appreciated!

dms
post #1994 of 3553 Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteren View Post

All,

I have a 5030UB which is connected to a Pioneer SC-1222k which in turn is being fed by a Haswell-based HTPC using the integrated graphics. Content currently is WMC LiveTV via a Ceton card and Blu-ray via TMT 3.

Among my issues is that whenever I turn on FI (even on Low), I get lag and a lack of sync between the video and the audio. My deductive reasoning tells me the issue is that the receiver delivers the audio and video in sync and the FI processing of the video signal in the 5030ub causes the video to be delivered slightly behind the audio.

Does anyone else have a similar scenario and how do you compensate for this with different settings for differing content? For instance, I want to run FI for TV and especially sports, but not for my Blu-rays. But, if I set the receiver to compensate for the lag, then I'll have an issue with FI off?

Any input is much appreciated!

dms

I have a similar setup with an HTPC connected to my 5030. There is a huge time penalty when enabling FI, super resolution, or advanced sharpening, I think it is something like 180ms according to projectorcentrals review even on low.

That is very noticeable when using a mouse, and it throws lip sync way, way off

If your TV and HTPC were on different ports of the receiver it wouldnt be too hard to have 2 different memories saved on the epson that have FI enabled or disabled, and have a different delay in the receiver for the inputs, but since it sounds like you are using the HTPC for TV, i think it will be tough to easily enable/disable FI unless you can configure audio delays in the individual software programs

for my setup i only use FI with 3d blurays in powerdvd, and i have a 130ms audio delay configured in the player there to compensate
post #1995 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I currently have the 8700UB with 250+ hours. Is there big changes if I upgrade to 5030UB or wait for 2014 model?
post #1996 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

I currently have the 8700UB with 250+ hours. Is there big changes if I upgrade to 5030UB or wait for 2014 model?
I upgraded from the 8700UB. There is quite a difference in PQ and brightness from one unit to the next.

Denon AVR 4520ci
Emotiva XPR-5
Denon 3313 BDP
L/C/R Klipsch KL7800 THX, SL/SR Klipsch KS7800 THX
SBL/SBL, FHL/FHR, FWL/FWR Klipsch 5800W
(4) Epik Empire subs/(1) DIY 18" sub
Darbee Darblet
Epson 5030UB/135" Fixed Mount Screen
post #1997 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Schmidt View Post

I upgraded from the 8700UB. There is quite a difference in PQ and brightness from one unit to the next.

Yes the 5030 is a nice step up from an 8700 in all areas. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1998 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM

I ordered this projector (5030ub) from VisionHD.ca on Monday. At that time they assured me that they'd get them in on Monday. They did not. They assured me that they'd call me by today (Tuesday). They did not. I then noticed that others on this forum have had trouble with projectors being sold to them from vendors that don't actually have them for weeks. Are these guys like that? Obviously any vendor can "sell" a projector at any price if they don't have it, so are these guys like that? I don't really want to wait weeks to save a couple hundred bucks, but I might be willing to wait a single week. Anyone have any experience with them?
post #1999 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by domitron View Post

I ordered this projector (5030ub) from VisionHD.ca on Monday. At that time they assured me that they'd get them in on Monday. They did not. They assured me that they'd call me by today (Tuesday). They did not. I then noticed that others on this forum have had trouble with projectors being sold to them from vendors that don't actually have them for weeks. Are these guys like that? Obviously any vendor can "sell" a projector at any price if they don't have it, so are these guys like that? I don't really want to wait weeks to save a couple hundred bucks, but I might be willing to wait a single week. Anyone have any experience with them?

WestCDA had a really good reply to my post. a few pages back. I keep checking their website to see if they show in stock and haven't tried calling them back yet. Sounds like they still don't know when they'll get them. I ordered mine on Dec 22 and am having a new home built which won't be ready until May. I'm good with waiting if they would be honest with me on when to expect it. I'm not ok with them having my money without replying to customers. If they haven't received them by the end of next week I'll contact them for a refund and if they don't reply I'll file my first credit card chargeback in my life.
post #2000 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

WestCDA had a really good reply to my post. a few pages back. I keep checking their website to see if they show in stock and haven't tried calling them back yet. Sounds like they still don't know when they'll get them. I ordered mine on Dec 22 and am having a new home built which won't be ready until May. I'm good with waiting if they would be honest with me on when to expect it. I'm not ok with them having my money without replying to customers. If they haven't received them by the end of next week I'll contact them for a refund and if they don't reply I'll file my first credit card chargeback in my life.

Yeah, well, someone PMed me suggesting I try another Canadian online vendor called eastporters.ca. I gave them a call and they have them in stock for $2400 CAD (great price), but they said that I'd have to call back for the delivery cost to California (which may or may not push them over the other quote I got). BUT unlike VisionHD.ca, eastporters.ca is not an authorized Epson dealer, even though they have a good reputation around here from what I've read. I read a post while back on here where they claimed to honor the Epson warranty one way or the other for some other product, although I don't see how that would work (do they eat it if it fails then or what?). I'll ask them tomorrow when I call back on to get the shipping quote.

In the USA, I noticed that Crutchfield, which is an authorized dealer and been around forever with a pretty good reputation, just slashed $500 off their 5030s this morning, brining them to $2399 total (i.e. free shipping, no extra tax). I called them and, of course, they didn't have them in stock nor did they know when they'd be getting any more in. They guy was totally honest about it and warned me because he didn't want me to be disappointed. That was cool, I guess, but it seems a little weird to cut the price down by $500 when you don't have any in stock or even know when you'll be getting them.
post #2001 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 PM

I want to take something back, Eastporters (http://www.eastporters.com/estore/) now DOES claim to be an Epson Authorized Dealer. The post where they said they weren't was some years ago. If that's true, I'll definitely go with them if the shipping is reasonable.
post #2002 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'd like to still get it through visionhd since the total after their $200 coupon and converting to USD came out to $2,347.63 shipped. It's going to be hard to find that price anywhere else.
post #2003 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

I'd like to still get it through visionhd since the total after their $200 coupon and converting to USD came out to $2,347.63 shipped. It's going to be hard to find that price anywhere else.

Well, Eastporters is saying $2400 CAD plus shipping (whereas visionhd.ca is charging $2499 CAD). If Easporters can ship under $99 CAD ($91.72 USA) and there aren't any other gotchas, then they will be just as good of deal. Somehow I do think that can be done because even with the box because boxed unit should weigh no more than about 30lbs if the projector is about 26.5lbs I figure. I'll let you know what I find when I call both places tomorrow (Visionhd.ca to see if there is news and eastporters if they can match with the shipping)
post #2004 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by domitron View Post

In the USA, I noticed that Crutchfield, which is an authorized dealer and been around forever with a pretty good reputation, just slashed $500 off their 5030s this morning, brining them to $2399 total (i.e. free shipping, no extra tax). I called them and, of course, they didn't have them in stock nor did they know when they'd be getting any more in. They guy was totally honest about it and warned me because he didn't want me to be disappointed. That was cool, I guess, but it seems a little weird to cut the price down by $500 when you don't have any in stock or even know when you'll be getting them.

You have the prices wrong on the US side of things. The 5030UB is $2599, and the 5030UBe (wireless HDMI version) is $2899. I see both at list price on Crutchfield, and I doubt they were selling either one for anything other than that, as others have mentioned in this thread that Epson keeps pretty tight control on advertised pricing.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #2005 of 3553 Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

You have the prices wrong on the US side of things. The 5030UB is $2599, and the 5030UBe (wireless HDMI version) is $2899. I see both at list price on Crutchfield, and I doubt they were selling either one for anything other than that, as others have mentioned in this thread that Epson keeps pretty tight control on advertised pricing.

I see that now too. In my browser this entire day, though, it was showing something different (a $500 discount on I guess the 5030UBe since the total was $2399). Keep in mind that prices do funny things online. What cookies you have collected from other sites can make a difference. I've seen Amazon prices fluctuate wildly within minutes and completely dependent on what I've been looking at before. Epson may keep tabs on advertised prices, but I know the price I saw just hours ago. I probably blew that by posting here about it. Oh well.
post #2006 of 3553 Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM

Liked: 13
My 5030 on a shelf 17' away from an Elite white 1.1 120" screen is fine. In a dark room 3D is way brighter than in the movie theater, and we also watch 3D a lot in the daytime with low level daylight coming in from several sources, it's very acceptable.

If you're sitting closer than 10' or so a 120" picture is big, maybe too big at 16:9, and you'll see the pixels. Though when you watch a 2:35 Panavision movie letterboxed vertically to the equivalent height of a 90" 16:9 screen, bigger is better.

If I want a smaller brighter picture in 2d/3d it takes ten seconds to turn the zoom and shrink it down. Voila, a 110/100/90/80" picture. Can't go the other way if you buy a smaller screen.
post #2007 of 3553 Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Hi I am new to posting. I would like to delete this post since I forgot to add a quote (new reply is below). How do I delete it completely?
post #2008 of 3553 Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

What is the difference between Epson's TW9200 and TW8200? Lumens and contrast look the same on spec sheet. confused.gif
Per the Epson website: http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW9200_specs.asp

the 9200 has the following that are different from the 8200:
Anamorphic squeeze and zoom
THX Certification
ISFCertification

Or ably other stuff too, but those were the differences that stood out to me.
post #2009 of 3553 Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opticzar View Post

Hello everyone, in the early process of researching my first HT setup. I've settled on the 5030UB, but am not sure about the screen. I consider 3D-movie viewing to be a priority and understand image brightness is the biggest concern with projectors. What is the maximum screen size (16:9) that this PJ can create a very good-to-excellent 3D experience with?  I'm hoping for at least a 120" with 1.1 gain, or if you would recommend, 1.4 gain. 

I am projecting onto a cheaper visual apex branded screen. It is 120", 1.1 gain, and the projector is about 15' back. I have zero complaints, 3d or otherwise. It is plenty bright. If you can control the lighting in your room you will have no problem at 120 and 1.1. I am betting 135" may even be watchable in 3d but at that size you might want to bump the gain or wait for comment from someone with a larger screen.

How far back are you sitting? I am 11-12 feet back and that is just barely enough to fit the whole screen in the glasses without turning my head. I think larger would be uncomfortable but 120 for me is perfect.

post #2010 of 3553 Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Is there much difference in a 1.1 gain and a 1.0 gain screen? I am going to be looking for my first screen prorbably sometime this summer. For my first screen I don't plan to spend a ton of cash so was looking into the Elite Sableframe 1.1 screen. I've seen like the monoprice multi format screen that they are 1.0 gain. I was just curious to know if a 1.0 and a 1.1 are close to the same when it comes to viewing angles and hotspotting etc. Doesn't seem like there would be much difference but you never know.

Link to my build
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page