Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3460 Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Yes, I noticed the difference in the vid as well. Almost looked like the text was in a different font, and poorly displayed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3460 Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Glad to hear the 3d sounds improved over the 5020, how about the brightness in 3d, does it seem the same as the 5020? Also if you get a chance to check out the 2d to 3d conversion that would be appreciated. I read somewhere on here that it was supposed to be better and any improvement would be good in my book. I don't know how well these epsons do 2d to 3d, but I'm hoping its much better than the conversion on my sony player which is absolutely worthless, cant even see a difference unless words are on the screen. Does having the frame interpolation add any more depth to the 3d image, that's what I like about it in 2d, but with so much depth in 3d it seems its effect might be minimal regardless. Thanks
post #183 of 3460 Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

Glad to hear the 3d sounds improved over the 5020, how about the brightness in 3d, does it seem the same as the 5020? Also if you get a chance to check out the 2d to 3d conversion that would be appreciated. I read somewhere on here that it was supposed to be better and any improvement would be good in my book. I don't know how well these epsons do 2d to 3d, but I'm hoping its much better than the conversion on my sony player which is absolutely worthless, cant even see a difference unless words are on the screen. Does having the frame interpolation add any more depth to the 3d image, that's what I like about it in 2d, but with so much depth in 3d it seems its effect might be minimal regardless. Thanks

Just tried out the 2D to 3D conversion and it's not the best implementation I've seen, but also not the worst. I never tried it on my 5020 so not sure whether it's an improvement or not. Probably not something I would ever use though.

The frame interpolation makes such a huge difference for me in 3D. Because of how smooth the motion is and also making it easier on the eyes, I feel like it does add to the sense of depth somewhat. The brightness is outstanding just like the 5020 was but not much of a difference, if at all. I feel like the crosstalk and ghosting is non existent on this model, which allows me to keep the glasses brightness setting on high without any negative side effects. Again, best 3D I've seen in a home theater yet.
canton160 likes this.

post #184 of 3460 Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

excellent, thanks for the quick response back. I was going to wait for the prices to come down on the 5020, but it sounds like this unit is what I will need to keep me happy for many years down the road, especially since the 3d is more enjoyable with this unit. I've been extremely happy with the performance of my 6500ub (75000 CR) for the last 5-6 years, its kept me from upgrading, but now with 3d, its hard to hold back.

Now when Epson says 2400 lumens, does that seem like that rating is only for 3d mode, or is it roughly the same in 2d on dynamic?
Is there a big difference in brightness with the low, med, high 3d glasses setting? From what you've described, it sounds like we can at least pull a little more light and get a bit closer to passive glasses brightness.
post #185 of 3460 Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

The brightness is outstanding just like the 5020 was but not much of a difference, if at all. I feel like the crosstalk and ghosting is non existent on this model, which allows me to keep the glasses brightness setting on high without any negative side effects. Again, best 3D I've seen in a home theater yet.

Is the crosstalk similar to the 5020, or improved?
post #186 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Glad to hear the 3d sounds improved over the 5020
Coming from the 5010, I have always found 3D to be VERY good, though not absolutely perfect. Did the 3D quality get worse from the 5010 to the 5020?

Also, my 5010 uses IR glasses and the 5030 uses RF glasses. Can the IR glasses still be used on the 5030 or is it RF only?
post #187 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 AM

Hey JD,

Any chance you could email or post the PDF version of the owner's manual? Epson doesn't have it on their site yet. It would be most appreciated!!

Thank you in advance. I'm sooo jealous you got your new toy already. smile.gif

Elio
post #188 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM

What's the largest screen size that people are comfortable running this projector at under semi-ideal conditions (evenings, darkened room, etc)?  Is 150" at 14' feet viewing distance away too big?

post #189 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sim View Post

What's the largest screen size that people are comfortable running this projector at under semi-ideal conditions (evenings, darkened room, etc)?  Is 150" at 14' feet viewing distance away too big?

Depends on what mode you want to run the projector in. Some will want to run in best image mode low lamp, so that they get the best image quality and a quiet projector. Some are fine with best image mode high lamp. Some will run in a higher lumen mode, low lamp for the added brightness and still quiet projector. Some will go so big that they will need to run high lamp and in one of the higher lumen modes. This projector is very flexible. If you would like to discuss lumen outputs and screen sizes, call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #190 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Coming from the 5010, I have always found 3D to be VERY good, though not absolutely perfect. Did the 3D quality get worse from the 5010 to the 5020?

Also, my 5010 uses IR glasses and the 5030 uses RF glasses. Can the IR glasses still be used on the 5030 or is it RF only?

Tried both pairs of my Sony 3D IR Glasses and I couldn't get them to pair up. Both of these pairs were able to pair up with no problems on my 5020. Sooooooo, it's looking like it's RF only.

post #191 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

Hey JD,

Any chance you could email or post the PDF version of the owner's manual? Epson doesn't have it on their site yet. It would be most appreciated!!

Thank you in advance. I'm sooo jealous you got your new toy already. smile.gif

Elio

This is the only manual that comes on the disc. Also, the hard copy that comes with the projector is the same thing. Kinda generic but hopefully they'll have something a little more in depth soon. Hope this helps

Epson 5030 Quick Setup.pdf 1461k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Epson 5030 Quick Setup.pdf (1.43 MB, 45 views)
Keith Mickunas likes this.

post #192 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

Is the crosstalk similar to the 5020, or improved?

To me it seems improved but that could be due to the Frame Interpolation. Before on the 5020, I didn't keep the glasses setting on high because crosstalk was much more noticeable, but on the 5030, no problems. Is it completely crosstalk free? No. But, for the overall quality and brightness, it's pretty amazing.

post #193 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:

This is the only manual that comes on the disc. Also, the hard copy that comes with the projector is the same thing. Kinda generic but hopefully they'll have something a little more in depth soon. Hope this helps

Thanks JD. I appreciate you responding.

Have a great day!!
post #194 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM

Delivered, & set up. I'm now one of the few....
post #195 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks JD for the review! I'm not all that competetive with my gaming and will mostly watch movies and sports in my room when it's done. But I do want to have a fun night with some freinds or just myself and play some games. Probably some sports games, Definately bf4 a bit for fun not for sport, and I do like some Guild wars 2 from time to time. I'll keep reading as I have some time before I need to pull the trigger. Question for you however. What do you use your pj for mainly and what screen do you use along with what screen ratio do you go with?

P.S. If you could put up a video of some live gaming that would be fun to see. smile.gif

Thanks again!
post #196 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyJo View Post

Delivered, & set up. I'm now one of the few....

Congrats!!!! Welcome to the club smile.gif
canton160 likes this.

post #197 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

Thanks JD for the review! I'm not all that competetive with my gaming and will mostly watch movies and sports in my room when it's done. But I do want to have a fun night with some freinds or just myself and play some games. Probably some sports games, Definately bf4 a bit for fun not for sport, and I do like some Guild wars 2 from time to time. I'll keep reading as I have some time before I need to pull the trigger. Question for you however. What do you use your pj for mainly and what screen do you use along with what screen ratio do you go with?

P.S. If you could put up a video of some live gaming that would be fun to see. smile.gif

Thanks again!

You're welcome smile.gif For casual gaming, there is nothing at all wrong with this projector. I hardly notice it. But online, especially PC, shows some lag. Still not enough to make me want to enable Fast Processing and degrade the picture quality.

I primarily use my projector for movies. 3D and standard. 3D is a beast on this thing. I love it! The screen I'm using is an Elite EZ Frame Cinewhite 1.1 Gain 16x9 ratio. It looks fantastic with the lights off, but of course unlike the higher end screens, the picture fades quickly with lights on. Luckily I'm in a completely light controlled basement and have no issues with that. Anamorphic lens with Cinescope would be pretty sweet, but as much gaming as I do, I wouldn't like the picture not taking up the entire screen.

I'll post a video later today of some BF4 and GTA V smile.gif

post #198 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Wanted to give you guys an update on my projector. Unfortunately I noticed a stuck pixel this morning and tried running the pixel flipper on my Disney WOW disc and it's still there. Here's a couple pics showing the issue. I've already called Projector People who got me in contact with Epson and I'll have a replacement coming shortly. They're on backorder right now. No biggie though as it doesn't affect most regular viewing and I can continue using it until the replacement shows up.

Also, I talked with the guy at Epson and he's going to get me in touch with the launch team for the 5030 in regards to a couple nitpicky issues I have with it.

1. The picture degrading as much as it does with fast processing enabled. I honestly don't remember that happening with the 5020 I had.

2. Frame Interpolation and Super Resolution only working with a 1080P 24HZ 3D Blu-ray. Nothing else will work. Even if I have my Receiver upscale to 1080P. So no games, downloaded or streamed movies or Direct TV 3D with either of those. Which is the biggest reason I waited for this. Not that big of a deal as 80% of my 3D watching is Blu-ray anyways, but still kind of annoying.

post #199 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 AM

I done it. Just ordered one...
post #200 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was going to wait until there were some professional reviews, etc but after talking with a few vendors, looks like we're several weeks into backorders anyways. I've got a taker for my 8500UB. Short of massive widespread failures this is my next PJ. I've been nothing but thrilled with my 8500 and with the one time I needed Epson support for a replacement unit. Esp seeing a lack of other new PJ's in this price range. Went ahead and grabbed a spot in line at PP. They're telling me end of month/early Nov at this point. Oh well. Same thing happened last time.

Now to order a new blu ray player, I need a dual HDMI output for my 'legacy' 1.3 compatible receiver....
post #201 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Congrats!!!! Welcome to the club smile.gif

Thanx. Sorry about your dead pixel, may it rest in peace.....
post #202 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

UPS man delivered mine this morning.

The CD that comes with it only contains 13MB. It's basically only has a product registration program and a program that puts a link to the Owners Manual on your desktop. Here is the link it created (it's a dead link at the moment). http://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd39809.pdf

I'm going to go play some Call of Duty and see how the lag feels. I don't have a CRT to do a proper test, but I can run a test with my laptop to see how it compares to my existing monitor that reportedly has ~16ms lag.

John
post #203 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post

UPS man delivered mine this morning.

The CD that comes with it only contains 13MB. It's basically only has a product registration program and a program that puts a link to the Owners Manual on your desktop. Here is the link it created (it's a dead link at the moment). http://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd39809.pdf

I'm going to go play some Call of Duty and see how the lag feels. I don't have a CRT to do a proper test, but I can run a test with my laptop to see how it compares to my existing monitor that reportedly has ~16ms lag.

John

John,

Thanks for posting the link.

Elio
post #204 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Here are a couple pics of the 3D brightness through the Epson RF Glasses. Movie being played is The Hobbit.

nickoakdl likes this.

post #205 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So JewDaddy, what is your setup like? How far is the projector from the screen and how high compared to the top of the screen?

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #206 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Here are a couple pics of the 3D brightness through the Epson RF Glasses. Movie being played is The Hobbit.

I have to say that if that is how dim it gets, that's pretty damn good to me.
post #207 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

So JewDaddy, what is your setup like? How far is the projector from the screen and how high compared to the top of the screen?

I've got the Epson shelf mounted behind the seating and it's projecting around 17 ft onto an Elite EZ Frame Cinewhite 1.1 gain screen. I would say the projector is 6-8 inches below the top of the screen. I have the Epson going through a Darbee and then to my Pioneer SC-75 Receiver. I have a little bit of extra processing going on, but just enough to add to the already exceptional picture of the Epson. Nothing too extreme.

Got some pics of my setup in my sig.

post #208 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I have to say that if that is how dim it gets, that's pretty damn good to me.

Well I have the picture on Dynamic 3D with the glasses set to high. But yes, the brightness in 3D is freaking outstanding!!! Loving this projector

post #209 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

As promised, here is a link to me playing the Battlefield 4 PC Demo on the Epson 5030. Please note that this is not a video to demonstrate my skills as u will quickly see, are pretty bad. Lol. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/mzrfCeVAma4

post #210 of 3460 Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I've got the Epson shelf mounted behind the seating and it's projecting around 17 ft onto an Elite EZ Frame Cinewhite 1.1 gain screen. I would say the projector is 6-8 inches below the top of the screen. I have the Epson going through a Darbee and then to my Pioneer SC-75 Receiver. I have a little bit of extra processing going on, but just enough to add to the already exceptional picture of the Epson. Nothing too extreme.

Got some pics of my setup in my sig.

Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to have a very similar space to work with when I get my new house, so this is good to hear, especially since I am considering shelf mounting also.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page