Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob, wow. Thanks for the description. Very thoughtful. I think I understand now. I painted black behind and to the sides of the screen. I have a 120” 4:3 (which covers every available square inch for 4:3 projection and can be adjusted up for 16:9 and 4:3.) I can manually adjust my screen and manually adjust my (fairly conveniently located) 5030) or open my checkbook for a 6030 or Lumagen.

To be overly thorough the “aspherical” I mentioned was irrelevant and my mistake. Films shot on anamorphic had to be projected through a lens. Aspherical is a production side lens choice – the image is 2:39 but is not squeezed like with an anamorphic (technoscope if I remember correctly did this splitting each 35mm frame in 2 for a widescreen unsqueezed aspect). In the short-run I purchased the 5030 to check footage shot 2:39 so I mistakenly thought I may not need to be concerned regarding the unsqueezing aspherical image BUT what we're talking about here is an entirely different concept regarding the pixel mapping or whatever the correct term is. I am sending my dtata out directly form a hard drive through a computer. This is unedited visual effect footage not yet made into a DVD or Bluray.

Why anyone released an unsqueezed Chinatown on VHS is beyond me. My friend got it at a garage sale and the only way we could figure out how to watch it was through an anamorphic lens held backwards.

Thank you for your explanation! It is much appreciated. Perhaps I should set the 5030 up and see how annoying the adjusting is. Maybe I need the exercise of standing on my sofa to reach the projector occasionally☺
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 AM

Hi everyone!

I have a holiday house in Cape Town, South Africa.  I brought my Epson 5030UB here for installation before returning to the US.  The only difference between the US and South Africa is the power supply running on 220-240 volt - which is completely within the Epson's specs.  

Unfortunately, I have now noticed that the projection have a moiré pattern of slightly bent vertical lines across the screen. In the photo above, the lines are clearly visible - through the menu display as well as the background display.  I have minimised electrical interference using the shortest HDMI and electrical cables, but the lines will not go away.  The LCD panels are perfectly aligned and no matter what settings I change, the lines stay put! I am using an Oppo BDP-103 but even with no source attached, the projector displays the vertical lines.

If anyone can help me, I will be most grateful - hopefully I may not need to return the projector to the US if there is a solution.

post #2073 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 06:09 AM

Liked: 11
Just curious - try and hold up a piece of white paper and see if the pattern is still there. I had this issue with an older (1080p) projector and it turned out to be the screen texture was lining up (nearly) with the projector pixels... May not be your issue, but mine looked very similar so it's worth a look..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWvdM View Post

Hi everyone!

I have a holiday house in Cape Town, South Africa.  I brought my Epson 5030UB here for installation before returning to the US.  The only difference between the US and South Africa is the power supply running on 220-240 volt - which is completely within the Epson's specs.  

Unfortunately, I have now noticed that the projection have a moiré pattern of slightly bent vertical lines across the screen. In the photo above, the lines are clearly visible - through the menu display as well as the background display.  I have minimised electrical interference using the shortest HDMI and electrical cables, but the lines will not go away.  The LCD panels are perfectly aligned and no matter what settings I change, the lines stay put! I am using an Oppo BDP-103 but even with no source attached, the projector displays the vertical lines.

If anyone can help me, I will be most grateful - hopefully I may not need to return the projector to the US if there is a solution.
SWvdM likes this.
post #2074 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hi all, just read the entire thread (over 3 days!) - thanks for such a great resource. :)

Regarding 3D ghosting performance of these top-line Epsons I noticed something on my 9100 (5020) which helped significantly and might help someone else here (assuming it isn't a bug they've fixed for the 9200/5030):-

In the 3D settings menu, it seems as if the Depth setting and the Screen Size setting are actually two ways to set the same thing (- stereo image separation).

I noticed that when I changed the screen size setting, at certain size points it automatically changes the previous depth setting!

The reason I mention this is that I found the 120" screen size point is the first screen size setting where the PJ automatically moves up the depth setting a notch.

But I found that even though I do have a 120" screen, that extra notch on the depth setting introduces mild ghosting which is rendered almost non-existant when I instead set 110" screen size (which in turn automatically reduces the depth setting a notch).

I suspect the screen-size setting is an alias control attempting to help people properly set the depth one.

But as someone previously mentioned, Epson must be guessing your viewing distance in their 3D algorithms (based on the screen-size you choose) as screen-size can't be used alone in determining the optimal image separation.

So if you are on the cusp of one of the screen size settings where depth is auto-adjusted and/or your viewing position is closer than recommended for your screen size, you might do well to reduce the depth setting a notch.

(On a side note, it isn't just the projection technology which determines whether ghosting occurrs. I've seen worse ghosting on a low end 3D DLP projector using nVidea's DLP link glasses. So the speed, quality and synch of the shutters in active 3D glasses are also part of the equation. I went for the Epson specifically because of it's 3D performance!)

AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #2075 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 AM

Liked: 16
Anyone using the wireless option on this projector? I am looking into info on how this affects inputlag for gaming.
post #2076 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Hi everyone!

Do you have a step down voltage transformer available that you could connect and test to see if it at 120V this issue goes away? I suspect maybe the power supply may not handle the 240V very well on the US version. Maybe the European version does better (That's if there's any difference at all, other than the model name?)

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #2077 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWvdM 
...  I brought my Epson 5030UB here for installation before returning to the US.  The only difference between the US and South Africa is the power supply running on 220-240 volt - which is completely within the Epson's specs.  
Were you able to confirm that the banding was not present in the US, or is that unknown? Might be worth a quick call/email to Epson support.
post #2078 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 10:45 AM

ttflyer95

Thank you for your suggestion. That was exactly my problem. My Da-Lite screen of 2002 produced the problem.  The projector has a perfect image on white paper!

Thank you everyone that responded to my question.

Dave Harper,  your suggestion was my next step.  I am happy to report that the Epson does not appear to have a problem with the voltage conversion - thanks for your reply.

WestCDA, the banding was not present in the US - it definitely pointed directly to the older Da-Lite screen. 

post #2079 of 3376 Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

ttflyer95

Thank you for your suggestion. That was exactly my problem. My Da-Lite screen of 2002 produced the problem.  The projector has a perfect image on white paper!

Dave Harper,  your suggestion was my next step.  I am happy to report that the Epson does not appear to have a problem with the voltage conversion - thanks for your reply.

WestCDA, the banding was not present in the US - it definitely pointed directly to the older Da-Lite screen. 

Yup... Mine was a Da-Lite screen as well (with a 8350). I got a new fixed screen with my 5030 and could not be happier with the upgrade!
post #2080 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltonj View Post

Question: I use a logitech one to turn on my devices in the following order.. 6030, AVR, panny 220 blu ray player. Sometimes, I get a black screen but audio works via blu ray player/AVR. I figured out that I have to turn off/on the projector and then the video "syncs" and all is good.
I guess I could try reordering device startup on the remote but this never happened on my 5010.

Or, could my hdmi cable be on the outs? It's a 35ft run 1.4a monoprice thick cable but I've never had problems with it before.

Or, is there any kind of handshake setting that might be applicable?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have the exact same problem sometimes only I use the Logitech Smart Control.  Sometimes it comes on and sometimes I have to reboot the projector.  Changing the order of the devices didn't seem to matter much.  I wish I could put a delay of a couple of seconds on it.

post #2081 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ttflyer95

Glad to see you've solved your issue, but sorry it looks like you'll have to replace your screen.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #2082 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by blbrchnk View Post

I have the exact same problem sometimes only I use the Logitech Smart Control.  Sometimes it comes on and sometimes I have to reboot the projector.  Changing the order of the devices didn't seem to matter much.  I wish I could put a delay of a couple of seconds on it.

You need to change the power-on delay. This is in the Device settings, not the activity settings where you control the order devices are turned on.

In the Harmony software go to Devices -> Change Device Settings -> Device delay settings and there you can tell it how many seconds to delay after turning on the projector. Then under Activities -> Customize this Activity you can adjust the order the devices are turned on.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #2083 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 AM

I have a issue I can't figure out. When I route my devices (XBox 360, Oppo BDP-103 and Cable box) using HDMI thru my Denon 3808ci to the 5030UB everything works fine. If I hook up the XBox 360 and Cable Box to the Oppo-103 HDMI Inputs and use the Oppo-103 to output to the Epson (and send the Audio back to the Denon), everything works fine. What I would like to do is hook up the Xbox and Cablebox to the Denon, send the HDMI output from the Denon to the Oppo BDP-103 and then output to the Epson 5030UB. This will allow me to take advantage of the great Marvel video processor inside the Oppo and use the additional inputs on the Denon for other devices. But when I do this, I get an HDMI Not Supported Message on the Epson 5030UB. I can't figure out why this would happen since I know it works when everything is connected directly to either the Denon or the Oppo. Any ideas of why this would happen?
post #2084 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blbrchnk View Post

You need to change the power-on delay. This is in the Device settings, not the activity settings where you control the order devices are turned on.

In the Harmony software go to Devices -> Change Device Settings -> Device delay settings and there you can tell it how many seconds to delay after turning on the projector. Then under Activities -> Customize this Activity you can adjust the order the devices are turned on.

I seem to have the opposite problem. My Harmony 1100 always powers the Epson on, but never powers it off. I have to hit 'Help' and then it sends the two 'off' commands programmed in and the PJ switches off. I have fiddled endlessly with the Harmony settings but to no avail. Do you have any suggestions for what I might try? TIA.

post #2085 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 AM

hello all. I got an Epson 5030 for Christmas. love it! Right now we are just projecting on my [white] wall. I'm in the market for a screen and have been searching the forums for information. Thus far, I've gotten the most recommendations for a dnp supernova flex classic (0.8 gain) and for a SI black diamond. My image will be fairly large -- ~120 inches and it will be in my living room which has large windows on a wall that is adjacent to where the screen will go. I'd like a screen that retracts into the ceiling for aesthetic purposes. I have a lot of flexibility in terms of where the projector gets mounted on the ceiling.

Is anyone here using a dnp? It seems like there are a lot of black diamond fans, although I've read a few opinions saying that I'll get a better picture with the dnp. many thanks for any thoughts/experiences you can provide.

best,

Jim
post #2086 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I seem to have the opposite problem. My Harmony 1100 always powers the Epson on, but never powers it off. I have to hit 'Help' and then it sends the two 'off' commands programmed in and the PJ switches off. I have fiddled endlessly with the Harmony settings but to no avail. Do you have any suggestions for what I might try? TIA.

It's been a while since I used the older Harmony software. Can you add additional commands to the Off sequence and just have it send the power off multiple times?

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #2087 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:

It's been a while since I used the older Harmony software. Can you add additional commands to the Off sequence and just have it send the power off multiple times?

When I programmed my Harmony, I had to use the 5020's settings from the Harmony website, because the 5030's settings were not available. It works fine, power on, off, switches appropriate inputs, etc....
post #2088 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I tried that but it just seems to ignore the 'off' command. I am very experienced with the Harmony and this is the only problem I have ever had that I can't fix, but I have tried different ideas and none has worked. I don't even know why it doesn't work - the commands are there, set to send the button press twice. They just never get acted on - yet as soon as I hit Help after all the other gear has powered down, the PJ instantly shuts off.

post #2089 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post

Quote:

When I programmed my Harmony, I had to use the 5020's settings from the Harmony website, because the 5030's settings were not available. It works fine, power on, off, switches appropriate inputs, etc....

I even used learning mode for the OFF command, but still no go...

post #2090 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried that but it just seems to ignore the 'off' command. I am very experienced with the Harmony and this is the only problem I have ever had that I can't fix, but I have tried different ideas and none has worked. I don't even know why it doesn't work - the commands are there, set to send the button press twice. They just never get acted on - yet as soon as I hit Help after all the other gear has powered down, the PJ instantly shuts off.

Have you tried changing the delays for the device for IR commands? Or change the off sequence so the two off commands for the projector are sent separately? Would it be possible to have it send off to the PJ, then turn off some other devices, then send off to the PJ again?

post #2091 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Funny thing is, I just saw this on one of the screen materials I auditioned. That material was fiberglass based. It had a very visible threaded texture. If you put your eye close to the surface, you can see the material has a prismatic effect, scattering red and green light from the edges of the fibers. At viewing distance, the moire pattern is the result. No fiberglass material screens for me.
post #2092 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Glad to see you've solved your issue, but sorry it looks like you'll have to replace your screen.

I had the same issue with a screen some years back with my Panasonic PT-AE4000U. If you can move the projector slightly back or forward, it usually alleviates the "perfect storm" of screen moire. I wasn't able to do either of those things, which led me to replace the screen.
post #2093 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I probably shouldn't chime in yet, but since I switched AVRs, my 5030 hasn't switched off from the Harmony remote. I had no problems with 6020 or the 5030 when I was using a Denon 3313. As soon as I switched to the Marantz SR7008 receiver, the problem started. Since it's the only variable that's changed, the first thing I'm going to look into is a possible HDMI-CEC issue. I always switch CEC off with my devices, but I haven't checked the Marantz for that yet. I've only had it hooked up for a couple of days. I'll report back.

Joe Clark

post #2094 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 05:57 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 275

OK I am on the fence between the Epson 5030 and a Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 help me

post #2095 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

OK I am on the fence between the Epson 5030 and a Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 help me

Is this for your dedicated room? If so, why would you even consider a TV?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #2096 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View PostIs this for your dedicated room? If so, why would you even consider a TV?

Nope it's for my one car garage that I transformed into a gym so that I can exercise at 5:00 am in the morning :) The garage has a window so that's why I am asking?

post #2097 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Nope it's for my one car garage that I transformed into a gym so that I can exercise at 5:00 am in the morning smile.gif The garage has a window so that's why I am asking?

Now I understand. In that environment, I would probably go with the flat panel. You want something you can turn on and use right away and you don't want to work out in a darkened room.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #2098 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I probably shouldn't chime in yet, but since I switched AVRs, my 5030 hasn't switched off from the Harmony remote. I had no problems with 6020 or the 5030 when I was using a Denon 3313. As soon as I switched to the Marantz SR7008 receiver, the problem started. Since it's the only variable that's changed, the first thing I'm going to look into is a possible HDMI-CEC issue. I always switch CEC off with my devices, but I haven't checked the Marantz for that yet. I've only had it hooked up for a couple of days. I'll report back.

My bad. All I had to do was reprogram my activities with the new Marantz AVR. The 5030 is firing up and shutting down normally again with the Harmony. The Marantz wasn't causing any problems. (And it's awesome, BTW. biggrin.gif )

Joe Clark

post #2099 of 3376 Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Now I understand. In that environment, I would probably go with the flat panel. You want something you can turn on and use right away and you don't want to work out in a darkened room.

Yes, that is why I was asking do you sell Panasonic plasma?
post #2100 of 3376 Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Have you tried changing the delays for the device for IR commands? Or change the off sequence so the two off commands for the projector are sent separately? Would it be possible to have it send off to the PJ, then turn off some other devices, then send off to the PJ again?

I have tried changing the delays - no difference. I haven't tried changing the off sequence - ATM there is one OFF command sending the same button press two times. Might be an idea to add as an additional command another entirely separate off sequence. But the problem isn't the two commands to turn the PJ off  - it isn't even recognising that an off command has been sent (ie the little info box reminding you to press the button a second time isn't coming up at all. Like the off command isn't even there, But as soon as I press Help, it works as intended.  I'll try your suggestion though - thanks.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page