post #2161 of 3573 Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post

Somewhere in this thread a question was asked about the dB difference between the fan speeds. In my dedicated HT room I used a calibrated dB meter and at the low setting I measured the following:

3' directly under the ceiling mounted projector, C-weighted, slow: 49 dB

Same position, same settings for meter, 5030UB fan on high (3D/Dynamic): 50 dB

There's a bigger difference than that, but even the high fan is nowhere near 50dB. Probably your noise floor is too high to measure the fan noise accurately.

Despite the noise level in high fan mode, I find the low tone of the noise unobjectionable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 3573 Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

There's a bigger difference than that, but even the high fan is nowhere near 50dB. Probably your noise floor is too high to measure the fan noise accurately.

Despite the noise level in high fan mode, I find the low tone of the noise unobjectionable.
The background room noise floor was 49 dB, with the PJ on low there was no measurable difference, and no difference that I could hear. With the PJ on high, given that a 3 dB difference is an apparent loudness difference of twice as loud, it seems reasonable to me. Personally, I don't find it objectionable either, but I wanted to measure it just to see what the difference was.
post #2163 of 3573 Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post

... Personally, I don't find it objectionable either, but I wanted to measure it just to see what the difference was.

As I posted in another thread, the possibility of too much fan noise in high lamp mode was one of the key points that had me waffling between the 5030UB and the Sony 55ES, especially as my projector would be mounted almost directly over the primary seating. Fan noise was mentioned in pretty well all of the reviews I found online, though most also noted it was not excessive. Somebody in the 6030 thread said it sounded like a 'hair dryer' in high fan mode - definitely not what I wanted to hear. Obviously everybody's environment and noise sensitivity is different, so I elected to trust the reviewers that said it was reasonable and ordered it.

3D/high lamp fan noise was one of the first things I tested on receiving the PJ last week, and was delighted when I heard just how mellow it is - yes, it's going to be audible in very, very quiet movie passages, but the low frequency of the sound makes for something that will just blend into the background for me. I expected that high fan noise was going to be a 'tolerated' attribute to get the other features this projector offers, but for me it's really a non-issue. Very pleased. smile.gif
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #2164 of 3573 Old 01-20-2014, 02:34 PM

Liked: 10
I currently have an Epson 8100 in a light controlled room projecting onto a 96" screen. My question is: Will I see a noticeable difference if I upgrade to a 5030UB? I don't have any real problems with the 8100 except a cyan tint to some shadows in some movies.

3D is nice but not a must have for me. I would probably need a new receiver too for 3D. Is 3D essentially free with the 5030UB or is there a cheaper Epson without 3D that is just as good?

Does anyone know if the mounting holes are the same on both projectors?

Any advice would be appreciated.
post #2165 of 3573 Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm thinking of upgrading from a 6010 to a 5030 over the next couple of weeks.

Can anyone give me a subjective view of how much better are the black levels and contrast over the earlier line? Also, are there any significant benefits that the -30 has over the -10 in terms of usability and features? For example, are any of you owners enjoying using the new B&W film mode?

I've read the reviews and know the specs, but I would love to hear from any of you who would like to share personal experiences/anecdotes.
post #2166 of 3573 Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalfox View Post

I'm thinking of upgrading from a 6010 to a 5030 over the next couple of weeks.

Can anyone give me a subjective view of how much better are the black levels and contrast over the earlier line? Also, are there any significant benefits that the -30 has over the -10 in terms of usability and features? For example, are any of you owners enjoying using the new B&W film mode?

I've read the reviews and know the specs, but I would love to hear from any of you who would like to share personal experiences/anecdotes.

I've had both. The 5030 is better in:

Frame interpolation in 2D and 3D now; biggest single improvement
Slightly better convergence and sharpness, but unit to unit variances could negate this advantage
Tighter focus and zoom controls - less play and they hold in position consistently
RF instead of IR 3D glasses - HUGE improvement if you watch 3D
B&W mode - so far, it hasn't meant anything to me, but I rarely watch B&W movies
Black levels and contrast are better, but I haven't noticed a huge difference

So, for me it's been mainly FI and RF 3D glasses that have offered the biggest improvements. In my case, it was well worth the upgrade.
musicalfox likes this.

Joe Clark

post #2167 of 3573 Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amock78 View Post

You know, I thought about that the other day, but for some reason I convinced myself that the keystone shouldn't be doing that to the picture....lol. Thanks for making me take a second look at that. When I originally setup my projector, I knew you could adjust the vertical offset, but didn't think it could adjust enough to make my picture fit on the screen without using keystone. So, I set it up facing down towards the screen at an angle, and just used keystone to correct for the angle. The keystone was set on 20.....I feel like an idiot. I guess I was just so excited to get my new projector setup to use, I didn't really think about getting it setup correctly. Once again, thanks for your your help kriktsemaj99. Everything is great now!
Do NOT use keystone, if at all possible!

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #2168 of 3573 Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Good Morning,

I just picked up this projector (first projector) and am looking for some tips on settings for gaming. I know about fine vs. fast, but am not very clear (and neither is the manual) as far as the other option that might be able to clean up the image, but still not introduce a ton of lag.

Thanks so much.
post #2169 of 3573 Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam919 View Post

Good Morning,

I just picked up this projector (first projector) and am looking for some tips on settings for gaming. I know about fine vs. fast, but am not very clear (and neither is the manual) as far as the other option that might be able to clean up the image, but still not introduce a ton of lag.

Thanks so much.

You could get a darbee, but other than that the slightly out of focus look of fast will be something you'll have to live with. I don't even notice it when playing, and sometimes accidentally leave it on when watching movies afterwards. I have a 133" screen and perfect vision so I think people blow it out of proportion.
post #2170 of 3573 Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Liked: 13
I wanted to share my thoughts on the Epson 5030 compared to some other projectors I demoed. Some background info: This is for a bedroom setup projecting onto a drop down 124” Da-Lite High Power 2.8 screen to replace an aging Sharp Z12000 DLP. The projector is mounted on a scissor lift so I can position it wherever I need for the most gain out of the screen. I’m a huge fan of DLP and use a Sim2 C3X1080 in the theatre room. My initial plan was to upgrade to a Super Lumis and use the C3X in the bedroom but I didn’t want to spend that kind of money with the push for 4K - even though there isn’t much content right now – and I’m still very happy with the image produced by the C3X.

Mitsubishi HC7900
There wasn’t much left in the DLP camp below <$10K that would give me the improvements I wanted over the Z12000. I considered the DPI Cine 1000 Led after talking with Mike at AVS but eventually decided I wanted a 3D capable projector at home. I tried getting the Sharp Z30000 and didn’t have much luck in finding a new one; based on the reviews on the forum I might have been very happy with it. I’m amazed by the image the Z12000 produces some 10 years later and the optics are stellar. It can’t compete with today’s projectors in terms of black level, brightness, or contrast but the image has this solidness and pop that shows off what good DLP tech can do.

I bought the 7900 in the hopes that it would give me an image similar to the Z12000 but with 3D and 1080P. I ended up returning it as I found all aspects to be well below average. This could have been my unit but the focus uniformity was terrible, the mounting offset negated most of the gain from my screen, and it didn’t have the DLP pop I’m used to. I also saw rainbows even in 6X wheel mode whereas on my sharp I hardly saw them. The contrast looked inferior to what the 12000 was producing in it’s brightest mode. 3D on the unit was good, rock solid image as DLP is known for, but in my setup I found the image a bit too dim. At its current price I think it’s steal of a deal for those on an ultra-tight budget if it can work within their setup or those that just want a to see what DLP 3D can do on a smaller screen.

JVC X75 & JVC RS4910
I don’t fully appreciate the image the JVC units are lauded for. The presentation appears flat/dull to me and I’m constantly reminded that I’m watching a projected image. JVC’s optics are great and if I had a chance to adjust the units to my liking I might have enjoyed them a lot more. The RS4910 had more contrast and brightness compared to the X75, the iris was on and not noticeable, but it was on a smaller screen (100” vs 130”) and I imagine it had very few hours on the bulb as it was brand new. I saw these units on 3 separate occasions and demoed Skyfall along with Oblivion. If you like the traditional ‘film’ look then I believe the JVC can’t be beat for 2D. I used to love CRT and it took me some time to get used the DLP look and now I find it very difficult to go back.

The store I saw these at would not let me adjust anything on them and it took some convincing to get the sales guy to turn off motion flow. He kept saying they’re perfectly calibrated from the factory and any adjustments will ruin the look and they’ve never allowed customers to fiddle with any display. He also refused to demo 3D on them saying they don’t open the glasses the units come with. Policies and customer service like this leads me to buying online and just relying on user reviews. Eventually I‘ll cave and get one of these units for the black levels.

Sony HW50ES
After watching 3D for about 15 minutes and taking the glasses off my eyes were producing a ‘flickering’ sensation. I know most people see flicker while watching but this was weird, it’s like any light source I would look at would flicker for a while. It took about 20 minutes for this to go away and I’m not sure what caused it but I decided it couldn’t be good for my vision. It might have been this unit. The 2D image had a bit more pop than the JVC’s but still not on par with DLP. Portions of the image seemed out of focus as 2 corners appeared sharp and the other 2 were soft. I didn’t get a chance to demo the HW55ES and don’t know if it offers a massive upgrade over the 50. I was waiting to see one and decide between it and the JVC before I stumbled upon the 5030.

Epson 5030
I ended up at a retail chain and noticed they had a Panasonic AE8000 and an Epson 4030 setup. The room wasn’t stellar but I ended up demoing both with the ability to switch between them and playback various movie clips. The AE8000 produced a smoother looking image while the 4030 had a bit more structure to it. I’d have to give the AE8000 a slight edge in performance overall between those 2 units. In the end I was very impressed with LCD and decided to blind buy the 5030, they only had one in stock and none on display. I’m using an Oppo 103D with darbee set to 35% and on the Epson image enhancement is at 3, standard sharpness at 2. I’ve found this to be the best combination for me. I’m sitting 16ft away from a 124” screen so there’s no noticeable screen door effect.

Optics: I’m happy overall for the price paid, I find it to be a bit soft but nothing to complain about. Electronic focus would help in dialing this in further. I haven’t noticed any focus drift so that’s a bonus.

3D: I see minimal ghosting at times and this being my first 3D projector I’m quite thrilled. I’ll gladly live with the odd ghosting issue in exchange for the bright punchy image. The glasses are also very comfortable and the RF along with USB recharging wins big points. I’ve also found that lowering 3D Depth in the advanced setup by a notch, which I think reduces the depth of the 3D effect, appears to lower ghosting.

In comparison the best 3D I’ve seen in a home environment is on a Lumis 3D Solo. The only way I can describe the effect is that the image thrown by Lumis is solid and draws you in whereas on the Epson there are times where you notice an issue of some kind and become aware of the fact that you’re watching a projected image. Is the image on the Lumis 10x better at 10x the price? That’s up to each individual to decide for themselves. I will say the Epson is shockingly good but 3Chip DLP still wins.

Contrast/Iris: The noise from the iris is distracting on quiet passages and I don’t see a marked improvement with it on or off. For now I’ve decided to leave it off. Contrast/Black level appear worse than the C3X but I’m comparing them in vastly different rooms and on different screen materials. It’s a marked improvement over the Z12000, by a large margin and in a different league compared to other DLP's I've seen anywhere close to it's price. On darker films the JVC wins the battle of absolute black level quite easily.

Fan noise: In Eco mode it’s very quiet, certainly not distracting with the projector 4ft above my head. I can clearly hear it in the high lamp 3D modes but while a movie is playing it’s not noticeable so no complaints.

Overall: At the price point this unit goes for I am extremely happy with the image it produces, it’s stellar and the level of brightness attainable is addicting even if it’s at the expense of some color accuracy. I’m amazed to see how far LCD has come and didn’t think I’d end up with an LCD projector. It was pure chance that I even ended up demoing one.

I find the image produced to be a good balance between the JVC for black level and DLP for image pop. It's a significant improvement over what I had and it's a pleasure for casual watching and 3D. The unit itself also feels very sturdy and well built. Power cycling is also very fast, that came as a bit of a surprise to me. I had to adjust alignment by a few notches at various zones, with a bit of work this unit has great convergence now.
post #2171 of 3573 Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
How many folks are using a Darbee with this projector?
I primarily use a DISH Hopper and Blu-Ray player as inputs.
Have you found it to be a worthwhile improvement?
post #2172 of 3573 Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

....As stated earlier Im going to be limited to about 85" diagonal with a 11.5 foot throw, which should be pretty bright.

Thanks.

At 85" and super bright mode you should be able to watch a movie with sunlight streaming onto the screen! biggrin.gif

I've got an Elite 120 non- tension and am very happy with build quality and screen. If I did it again I'd buy the Elite tensioned.
gadgtfreek likes this.
post #2173 of 3573 Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
My 5030 should be here TOMORROW cool.gif And my 110" screen some time next week!

I appreciate all the posts in this thread smile.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2174 of 3573 Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 AM

I have been following your posts on and off for years and I think your opinions are always credible. When I say on and off I mean that I look at AVS more when I am thinking about a new projector. I have a JVC RS-20 and wonder whether you think the Epson 5030 would be an improvement.
(110" greyhawk, 19.5' throw required, light controlled room, viewing is 14 feet from screen, 3d not important). On fourth bulb and calibration is way different each bulb (expensive too) What do you think?
post #2175 of 3573 Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM

Whoops. I meant to send to Bob Sorel. but any other's input is welcome too!
post #2176 of 3573 Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Anyone using a Darbee with their 5030? I am extremely happy with the PQ of Blu-Ray with this PJ, not thrilled with the HDTV PQ from my DISH Hopper. I am wondering this a Darbee could be the (pricey) fix.
thanks
post #2177 of 3573 Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

Anyone using a Darbee with their 5030? I am extremely happy with the PQ of Blu-Ray with this PJ, not thrilled with the HDTV PQ from my DISH Hopper. I am wondering this a Darbee could be the (pricey) fix.
thanks

Yes, I'm using an Oppo BDP-103D with my 5030UB. I run several external video sources though an HDMI switch, then into the Oppo to take advantage of the Darbee processing - one of those is a Bell TV satellite receiver. The Darbee isn't a magic fix for bad signals, and the satellite signal quality varies greatly from channel to channel. It works best with good quality images, but I've found it can improve the picture on some of the satellite channels as well - though the satellite feed is never going to look as good as native Blu Ray PQ.

Try some of the 5030 settings such as Super Resolution and see if you like what those do to your picture - I've found the Super Resolution (in moderation) can do a good job with satellite and standard DVD sources. There are a number of memories where you can save settings that you find work well for certain situations. Good luck and have fun ... smile.gif
post #2178 of 3573 Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just curious if anyone living in the Chicago land are uses the 5030ub with comcast xfinity cable and how the picture is with that as the source. HD of cource. My main thing with that will be football and hockey.

Thanks in advance!

Link to my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2179 of 3573 Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

Just curious if anyone living in the Chicago land are uses the 5030ub with comcast xfinity cable and how the picture is with that as the source. HD of cource. My main thing with that will be football and hockey.

Thanks in advance!

Comcast on my 5030 and my 152" Screen is to die for - Picture Shown BELOW.

willymo likes this.
post #2180 of 3573 Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

Yes, I'm using an Oppo BDP-103D with my 5030UB. I run several external video sources though an HDMI switch, then into the Oppo to take advantage of the Darbee processing - one of those is a Bell TV satellite receiver. The Darbee isn't a magic fix for bad signals, and the satellite signal quality varies greatly from channel to channel. It works best with good quality images, but I've found it can improve the picture on some of the satellite channels as well - though the satellite feed is never going to look as good as native Blu Ray PQ.

Try some of the 5030 settings such as Super Resolution and see if you like what those do to your picture - I've found the Super Resolution (in moderation) can do a good job with satellite and standard DVD sources. There are a number of memories where you can save settings that you find work well for certain situations. Good luck and have fun ... smile.gif
So would you say the darby is worth the extra dollars I love my 9200 (6030) and have a oppo and a darby separate in Australia is around $300 do you think it would be worth adding to my chain I keep super res at 3 and think it looks good just wondering if I should buy one cheers.
post #2181 of 3573 Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Liked: 16
Anyone using this projector with the WHDI option? Very curious about whether going wireless adds to the latency/input lag. Asking this since it's very important to me to keep inputlag as low as possible for console gaming, but at the same time using wireless connection would be a blessing for my setup.
post #2182 of 3573 Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Anyone using this projector with the WHDI option? Very curious about whether going wireless adds to the latency/input lag. Asking this since it's very important to me to keep inputlag as low as possible for console gaming, but at the same time using wireless connection would be a blessing for my setup.
Yes the wireless unit is great there is a slight delay but that's it the pass through feature is great to as I have my plasma hooked up to it also be interested from any owners with a darby on this pj. cheers
post #2183 of 3573 Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1671 View Post

So would you say the darby is worth the extra dollars I love my 9200 (6030) and have a oppo and a darby separate in Australia is around $300 do you think it would be worth adding to my chain I keep super res at 3 and think it looks good just wondering if I should buy one cheers.

IMO, yes. The effect is subtle, but definitely noticeable and different from the processing that super resolution applies to the picture. You'll want to experiment with your settings - with a good quality blue ray (already stunning looking on the Epson) I don't use super resolution at all, but do use the Darbee processing at about 40 percent. Used moderately, it can make a great image even better, without adding artifacts to the picture.
post #2184 of 3573 Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

Quote:

IMO, yes. The effect is subtle, but definitely noticeable and different from the processing that super resolution applies to the picture. You'll want to experiment with your settings - with a good quality blue ray (already stunning looking on the Epson) I don't use super resolution at all, but do use the Darbee processing at about 40 percent. Used moderately, it can make a great image even better, without adding artifacts to the picture.

+1. I use the Darbee in HD at 50% and it brings an extra 'pop' to the (as you say, already excellent) image. 

@ chriso1671 - or anyone considering a Darbee - I’d say buy it from someplace that has a good returns policy because some people (a significant minority) don't like what it does. Most people who have reported back on the various Darbee threads very much like what it does. It selectively enhances the image too - so sometimes there is little or no enhancement where, presumably, enhancement would give undesirable results, even in the same frame where enhancement is operating. It's very clever. It doesn’t really 'sharpen' the image as such - it selectively enhances contrast, which gives the impression of a sharper image but without artefacts. I find if I go over 65% then I start to see some negatives creeping in, so I then back off until it looks 'just right'. For me and the rest of the gear in my chain, 50% is about right. YMMV.

post #2185 of 3573 Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, I am using the wireless option.

In my setup, video lag is around 118ms (after audio).

I have to configure audio delay around this point to get lip sync from a decoder plugged into the optical output of the WHDI unit.

Haven't tried it with Fast processing yet (instead of Fine) because I haven't tried it with the console yet.

Some reviews I read seem to imply there is no noticeable lag between HDMI and WHDI but that doesn't 'feel right' and certainly in my case I did not require audio delaying when I had it HDMI hardwired.

YMMV

post #2186 of 3573 Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM

So you're saying you notice a delay switching between hdmi and whdi?
post #2187 of 3573 Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

So you're saying you notice a delay switching between hdmi and whdi?

Absolutely I do.

I haven't got the kit to measure it properly but based on the audio delay I've had to introduce to achieve lip sync in speech, I'm experiencing around 118ms video delay using WHDI.

From what I've read in other comments the typical delay with HDMI (and Fine processing) is around 40ms.

So in my case switching from HDMI to WHDI made things worse by around 80ms i.e. 3 times more delay than HDMI.

This is not known to be a fast PJ for gaming in the first place, even with an HDMI connection, you would need to switch to Fast image processing if you are a serious gamer.

post #2188 of 3573 Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM

Well depends what you define by "serious gamer". I'm used to playing on my Panasonic GT60 (game mode on) and had DLP projectors before (fast for gaming I know). But placement restrictions forced me to go look at non-DLP projectors and that's where I came out on the Epson. Since there's no way for me to get a HDMI cable to the projector, I have used CAT extenders for several years to get the signal to the projector but some projectors have zero issues with this (like the Benq w1070) while others like the Optoma always seem to have sync problems with CAT extenders. Since I definitely would look into getting a more high-end projector now, and since lens-shift and bigger zoom would allow me to mount the projector very close to where the power outlet in the ceiling is, I was looking at the WHDI option of the Epsons. But if using the wireless option does indeed augment the input lag, this would put the W9200 out of my range since I do need a low input lag (say around 40ms-50ms max).

Maybe I should check the W7200 then. A bit less stellar in performance, but a lot cheaper. Maybe this works with the CAT extenders without any issue, but there's no way to make sure and there's no way for me to buy&return if not, so kind of a tricky situation.
post #2189 of 3573 Old 01-24-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

+1. I use the Darbee in HD at 50% and it brings an extra 'pop' to the (as you say, already excellent) image. 

@ chriso1671 - or anyone considering a Darbee - I’d say buy it from someplace that has a good returns policy because some people (a significant minority) don't like what it does. Most people who have reported back on the various Darbee threads very much like what it does. It selectively enhances the image too - so sometimes there is little or no enhancement where, presumably, enhancement would give undesirable results, even in the same frame where enhancement is operating. It's very clever. It doesn’t really 'sharpen' the image as such - it selectively enhances contrast, which gives the impression of a sharper image but without artefacts. I find if I go over 65% then I start to see some negatives creeping in, so I then back off until it looks 'just right'. For me and the rest of the gear in my chain, 50% is about right. YMMV.
tHANKS for the info I love this PJ so I might just grab a darbee and give it a go, Watched pacific rim with my son and his little mate last night and the picture was stunning on a 110'' screen. cheers
post #2190 of 3573 Old 01-25-2014, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

tHANKS for the info I love this PJ so I might just grab a darbee and give it a go, Watched pacific rim with my son and his little mate last night and the picture was stunning on a 110'' screen. cheers

I came to the LCD Epson from a DLP PJ and as you probably know, DLPs are renowned for their sharpness. I was a tiny bit concerned that going to an LCD might make me perceive the picture as a little 'soft' (in fact I think this fear was misguided with the 5030) so I bought the Darbee to see if I would like it. I'm pretty much an image 'purist' so I didn't expect to like the effect as it could be kinda seen as a 'distortion' of the image. In fact when I tried the Darbee on a 65 inch plasma TV (Panasonic VT60) I disliked what it did. But I was very pleasantly surprised with the addition of the Darbee to the 5030 and I leave it engaged now all the time, with the sole exception of movies with a considerable amount of grain. The Darbee emphasises the grain in an unpleasant (to me) way. But for all my other content, the Darbee dies a terrific job. Just don't go too high with the percentage. Enjoy!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page