Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 3460 Old 02-10-2014, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at buying Epson 5030UB. I have a 123 inch FireHawk screen, sit 14 feet away from screen in fully light controlled HT. My current projector is dead and I would prefer to use the component cable already there in the ceiling mount. My questions are:
Would component connection degrade the PQ in anyway compared to HDMI?
Would brightness in 2D and 3D viewing be good in this setup with this projector?
How loud is it in High lamp setting?
How loud is Dynamic Iris in low and hi settings? Projector will be ceiling mounted and about 5 feet away from ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseeb View Post

I am looking at buying Epson 5030UB. I have a 123 inch FireHawk screen, sit 14 feet away from screen in fully light controlled HT. My current projector is dead and I would prefer to use the component cable already there in the ceiling mount. My questions are:
Would brightness in 2D and 3D viewing be good in this setup with this projector?
How loud is Dynamic Iris in low and hi settings? Projector will be ceiling mounted and about 5 feet away from ears.

Guys any response to my questions above will be appreciated. thanks.
post #2343 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Guys any response to my questions above will be appreciated. thanks.

I thought Component was limited to 1080i for blurays, and would imagine it can't pass 3D signal from a blu-ray. I could be wrong.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #2344 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

HDMI will probably be an improvement over component. HDMI is necessary to send a Blu-ray 3D signal to the projector. Component won't work, at least not without a lot of jumping through hoops. An HDMI cable run is your easiest and cheapest alternative. You can run HDMI over dual Ethernet cables with the right hardware, but that might be just as much of a hassle.

Joe Clark

post #2345 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

I thought Component was limited to 1080i for blurays, and would imagine it can't pass 3D signal from a blu-ray. I could be wrong.

That is good to know. Looks like I need to fish an HDMI cable through the ceiling... mad.gif
post #2346 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

HDMI will probably be an improvement over component. HDMI is necessary to send a Blu-ray 3D signal to the projector. Component won't work, at least not without a lot of jumping through hoops. An HDMI cable run is your easiest and cheapest alternative. You can run HDMI over dual Ethernet cables with the right hardware, but that might be just as much of a hassle.

I need 3D from Blue-ray so will have to get the HDMI cable there somehow.

Any comments on the remaining questions?

post #2347 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I need 3D from Blue-ray so will have to get the HDMI cable there somehow.

Any comments on the remaining questions?

With your setup, you should have a good 3D experience. The 5030 is one of the brightest (and best) 3D projectors on the market. "Loud" is relative. High lamp mode is always louder. Only you can determine whether it's loud enough to bother you. My projector is in a chamber in the next room, so sound is never a problem. When I had the Epson 6010 before a remodel, the noise from the iris and high lamp made a difference, but it never bothered me that much. I'd guess it won't bother you enough to deter you from watching 3D from time to time. You'll probably still watch 2D most of the time.

Joe Clark

post #2348 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The actual component cable has the bandwidth to pass 1080p, however, the connections are often limited to something less than 1080p because component doesn't work with HDCP copy protection. Question for you... did your current (dead) projector support 1080p when it was working?

I'm projecting onto a 120" 1.3 gain white screen and the brightness in 2D and 3D is very good, so with your Firehawk screen it should be awesome. When watching movies at theatrer type sound levels I don't hear the iris at all, but if I'm just watching the news or whatever at regular volumes, I do hear it.
post #2349 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Guys I have a concern.
When I watch a movie (by the way I love my 5030UBe) while the character is in front of a light source like window, the picture is washed off comparing to normal scene.
I understand when the light is in front of camera the picture will not be as dark but with 5030 it is a little too much comparing to my 65" LED.
Anybody has this issue or any taught?

I appreciate it.
post #2350 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is good to know. Looks like I need to fish an HDMI cable through the ceiling... mad.gif

Fore like $300 extra I believe you can get the "wireless" model of the Epson 5030. You wouldn't need to fish an HDMI cable then. The avoidance of running an hdmi cable in ceiling might be worth the extra price (plus if you ever move you wouldn't have to run cable there either).

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #2351 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Fore like $300 extra I believe you can get the "wireless" model of the Epson 5030. You wouldn't need to fish an HDMI cable then. The avoidance of running an hdmi cable in ceiling might be worth the extra price (plus if you ever move you wouldn't have to run cable there either).

I love this suggestion. Good 50 feet long HDMI cable will cost quite a bit too. Does wireless HDMI have any downside to it; I mean quality or performance wise?
post #2352 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post

The actual component cable has the bandwidth to pass 1080p, however, the connections are often limited to something less than 1080p because component doesn't work with HDCP copy protection. Question for you... did your current (dead) projector support 1080p when it was working?

I'm projecting onto a 120" 1.3 gain white screen and the brightness in 2D and 3D is very good, so with your Firehawk screen it should be awesome. When watching movies at theatrer type sound levels I don't hear the iris at all, but if I'm just watching the news or whatever at regular volumes, I do hear it.

Thanks folks for answering my questions. You guys/gals are the bests .. smile.gif
post #2353 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:

With your setup, you should have a good 3D experience. The 5030 is one of the brightest (and best) 3D projectors on the market. "Loud" is relative. High lamp mode is always louder. Only you can determine whether it's loud enough to bother you. My projector is in a chamber in the next room, so sound is never a problem. When I had the Epson 6010 before a remodel, the noise from the iris and high lamp made a difference, but it never bothered me that much. I'd guess it won't bother you enough to deter you from watching 3D from time to time. You'll probably still watch 2D most of the time.

Someone was mentioning that Epson 5030ub has too much of the screen-door effect and is not film like smooth... Do you folks experience that too? If not why the comment/concern?
post #2354 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Someone was mentioning that Epson 5030ub has too much of the screen-door effect and is not film like smooth... Do you folks experience that too? If not why the comment/concern?

First, check out the price for a 50' Redmere HDMI cable at Monoprice. Good cables don't have to cost a lot. Second, I sit 10' from my 5030 and don't consider SDE a problem at all. YMMV.
mateo222 likes this.

Joe Clark

post #2355 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:

First, check out the price for a 50' Redmere HDMI cable at Monoprice. Good cables don't have to cost a lot. Second, I sit 10' from my 5030 and don't consider SDE a problem at all. YMMV.

I have gotten all of my cables from Monoprice and haven't had a problem yet.

Only word of caution with the Redmere is that it is a one way signal so there is no HDMI Return Audio IIRC. This of course won't be in issue in a PJ situation, at least I don't think so. I couldn't go the Redmere route as I use my Samsung Smart TV sometimes and the audio has to be passed back to the receiver (didn't want to run optical/coaxial 40 ft).
post #2356 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for putting my SDE fears to bed. My son maybe sensitive to SDE more than I but he can use my plasma TV instead... biggrin.gif
post #2357 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo222 View Post

Only word of caution with the Redmere is that it is a one way signal so there is no HDMI Return Audio IIRC. This of course won't be in issue in a PJ situation, at least I don't think so. I couldn't go the Redmere route as I use my Samsung Smart TV sometimes and the audio has to be passed back to the receiver (didn't want to run optical/coaxial 40 ft).

Good to know this detail. Not sure it is going to be an issue for me at this time though.

Does wireless connection provide the return audio ability and is equal to performance of the wired HDMI?
post #2358 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm a little confused on the audio thing with the redmire cables. I ordered 2 30 footers from mono price and they will arrive tomorrow. Now I do plan to use them with this projector eventually along with an av reciever so this shouldn't be an issue. However where would this be an issue? If you simply were using one from a set top box like a cable reciever to a TV?
post #2359 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sit even closer than you, roughly 9' from a 92" screen. I saw the SDE on the very first time I ran it, it was on Disney's WoW disc. That is the only instance I have seen it in the ~2 weeks (25+ hrs) since.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #2360 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo222 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

I'm a little confused on the audio thing with the redmire cables. I ordered 2 30 footers from mono price and they will arrive tomorrow. Now I do plan to use them with this projector eventually along with an av reciever so this shouldn't be an issue. However where would this be an issue? If you simply were using one from a set top box like a cable reciever to a TV?

Quote:

Good to know this detail. Not sure it is going to be an issue for me at this time though.

Does wireless connection provide the return audio ability and is equal to performance of the wired HDMI?

I was wrong - Redmere does support Audio Return Channel so please disregard my comments above.
post #2361 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I sit even closer than you, roughly 9' from a 92" screen. I saw the SDE on the very first time I ran it, it was on Disney's WoW disc. That is the only instance I have seen it in the ~2 weeks (25+ hrs) since.

I sit about 9 feet from a 100 inch screen. No SDE.....
post #2362 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

The only real issue is to remember to check the direction before fishing it through a wall. It only works one way around (for audio and video).
post #2363 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Gotchya. i will test the cable before putting it in and tripple check my direction is correct.
post #2364 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Liked: 16
Been testing the little brother tw7200 (4030 in us). Love the image but I definitely notice crosstalk, seems to be specifically in my left eye. Anything to fix this? This is the main thing holding me back to buy one.
post #2365 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post

I sit about 9 feet from a 100 inch screen. No SDE.....

This is cool to know... smile.gif

Now where can I get a real good deal on Epson 5030ub or 5030ube?
post #2366 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 5030 is price protected at $2,599 by Epson. You'll have to know someone to get an insider deal. AVS is always a good place to shop, though. Good folks!

Joe Clark

post #2367 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:

The 5030 is price protected at $2,599 by Epson. You'll have to know someone to get an insider deal. AVS is always a good place to shop, though. Good folks!

Yep and you are not going to find anyone discounting it much below that price for two reasons. One, why risk your dealership to make a few extra dollars and two, there is so little markup on this projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2368 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Yep and you are not going to find anyone discounting it much below that price for two reasons. One, why risk your dealership to make a few extra dollars and two, there is so little markup on this projector.

Makes sense to me. Now I am stuck on choosing between 5030UB and 5030UBe. HDMI Cable is only ~$50 but pulling it in the ceiling is a chore but can be done. Going with 5030UB I save ~ $250. Are there any other disadvantages going with 5030UBe ?
post #2369 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I would personally go with the nonWiFi version. You can pick up a wireless HD unit for much less, and it will work with anything, not just your Epson.
post #2370 of 3460 Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Makes sense to me. Now I am stuck on choosing between 5030UB and 5030UBe. HDMI Cable is only ~$50 but pulling it in the ceiling is a chore but can be done. Going with 5030UB I save ~ $250. Are there any other disadvantages going with 5030UBe ?

I personally like the IOGEAR wireless 3D kit.  I am using it with this projector and as long as you have it in line of sight, the 2D and 3D picture is excellent.  $189 at B&H.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page