post #2701 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

Well the black bars on a tv are "black".

I wish... not on any TV I have owned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
They are on my panasonic gt60
post #2703 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
post #2704 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Seems every projector is somehow of a trade off and has some minuses. I have been debating which one to buy for a couple months and went with the Epson 5030 (9200W here) mainly because I got it for an amazingly good price (paid € 2600 for the TW9200W which is listed €2999 here). Comparing projectors in the same price league I got to these conclusions:

Sony 55ES
+ very nice blacks
+ very silent in both 2D and 3D
+ good picture processing
+ very good inputlag
- ...but can be a bit harsh
- not so good 3D
- (more) expensive

Epson 5030
+ very nice picture quality
+ in my case very good price
+ silent in 2D
+ very good 3D (and I got 4 glasses with it too)
+ wifi (for me a fantastic thing)
+- soso input lag in fine, good in fast
- noisy in 3D
- the 'worst' performer for blacks, but I'm using a high gain screen in a living room so blacks get cancelled out quickly

JVC
+ amazing blacks (in right conditions)
+ silent
+ motorized zoom/focus
+ best PQ
- rubbish 3D
- most expensive

To be honest, if I had a more optimal viewing space (dedicated room) I think I would've gone with the Sony. The main thing I hate about my Epson after using it for a couple days now is the fan noise in 3D, which is really annoying. And inputlag could be a bit better. Apart from that, amazing projector and PQ.

What do you think of the image quality in fast mode while playing games?
post #2705 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Well, if you start looking for it, you will see a difference. It's not a dramatic difference but small text and stuff definitely has less detail to it. But when playing games, which by nature usually involve fast movement and stuff, you won't notice it that much. Still, as a dedicated gaming projector, the Epson is not the one to choose imo. I had several DLP projectors before (my last being a Benq w1070) and if the Benq would have had a better lens (so better uniformity) and more flexible placement (horizontal/vertical lens shift and bigger zoom) then I would not have bought the Epson. I see the Epson I now have as a temporary projector until one comes along which has very low input lag and has absolutely crosstalk free 3D. The Benq w7500 would have been a possibility but it turns out inputlag is about the same as on the Epson. Mind, I'm pretty happy with the Epson but I'm still a bit annoyed I had to sell the Benq because of brightness uniformity because otherwise it seemed the perfect projector for me.
post #2706 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Projector Central Comparison:

Optoma's new LED projector HD91 versus Epson Home Cinema 5030UB

Another W for the Epson. 

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #2707 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
post #2708 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

There's a search feature. And it's come up many times, and each time there's dozens of replies, so it's not hard to find this info. Part of the reason this thread is now approaching 2700 posts is because people are asking the same questions over and over again and this makes posts with new information more and more difficult to locate. It's not rude to ask people to put just a bit of effort in before asking a question. Putting 2.35 in the search box results in over 200 posts, mask over 100, CIH over 60, 2.40 over 30.

After all, if you just ask, and don't look into it, you'll miss a lot of posts by people who aren't going to respond each and every time this same exact question comes up.

I'm sure many people search prior to asking questions (I know I do) even if the questions seem similar to ones previously asked. IMO someone replying directly to your question has a human element to it that silently searching after the fact does not. If you strictly want info, that is cool and you can use the forum in that way, but many people join forums becuase they are excited by the subject and want to be a part of the dialog and to interact with others.

post #2709 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 04:44 PM

Liked: 10
Doing some reading in this thread. Great info. Just picked up a 5030 for the theater room in the house I'm buying. Replacing an 8 year old 1024x768 business style projector. I cant wait to see what this thing can do. 3 weeks til closing. I'm a total newb to projectors.
post #2710 of 3411 Old 03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethman916 View Post

Doing some reading in this thread. Great info. Just picked up a 5030 for the theater room in the house I'm buying. Replacing an 8 year old 1024x768 business style projector. I cant wait to see what this thing can do. 3 weeks til closing. I'm a total newb to projectors.

If your coming from a business pj any of the 3 pjs out right now (jvc x35, sony 55es, epson 5030/6030) will blow you away.
post #2711 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Seems every projector is somehow of a trade off and has some minuses. I have been debating which one to buy for a couple months and went with the Epson 5030 (9200W here) mainly because I got it for an amazingly good price (paid € 2600 for the TW9200W which is listed €2999 here). Comparing projectors in the same price league I got to these conclusions:

Sony 55ES
+ very nice blacks
+ very silent in both 2D and 3D
+ good picture processing
+ very good inputlag
- ...but can be a bit harsh
- not so good 3D
- (more) expensive

Epson 5030
+ very nice picture quality
+ in my case very good price
+ silent in 2D
+ very good 3D (and I got 4 glasses with it too)
+ wifi (for me a fantastic thing)
+- soso input lag in fine, good in fast
- noisy in 3D
- the 'worst' performer for blacks, but I'm using a high gain screen in a living room so blacks get cancelled out quickly

JVC
+ amazing blacks (in right conditions)
+ silent
+ motorized zoom/focus
+ best PQ
- rubbish 3D
- most expensive

In Europe at the moment the JVC X35 is, if not the cheapest of the bunch, but on par with Epson with the price and Sony the most expensive. I've seen them all and chose JVC. I'd like to tweak some of the points above:

Sony:
+ quietest of them all. Silent in low lamp and quiet in high lamp mode.
+ bright

Epson:
- it's not LCOS
- iris can make annoying noise. but the 9200 is better than its predecessors

JVC:
+ sharp and excellent convergence
+ overall build quality best of the bunch
+ no iris
- low lamp is not silent, more on par with sony high lamp. Still quiet enough
- weighs a ton, limits ceiling mount options

edit: added "build" quality to JVC
post #2712 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.OGG View Post

In Europe at the moment the JVC X35 is, if not the cheapest of the bunch, but on par with Epson with the price and Sony the most expensive. I've seen them all and chose JVC. I'd like to tweak some of the points above:

Sony:
+ quietest of them all. Silent in low lamp and quiet in high lamp mode.
+ bright

Epson:
- it's not LCOS
- iris can make annoying noise. but the 9200 is better than its predecessors

JVC:
+ sharp and excellent convergence
+ overall quality best of the bunch
+ no iris
- low lamp is not silent, more on par with sony high lamp. Still quiet enough
- weighs a ton, limits ceiling mount options

As a calibrator who has worked with many examples of all these projectors I'd question whether the X35 is the "best of the bunch". In my opinion I'd say the HW55 is the best overall. The X35 certainly has it in terms of sheer native black level, but there's more to a projector than that. The Epson and Sony, for example, have very effective colour managements systems which the X35 doesn't have. So colours are more accurate on the other projectors. Perhaps that wouldn't bother some, but for me it's just as important as good black level. In most circumstances projectors (at least in the UK) are not being employed in blacked out black rooms where the black level of the X35 would be seen as superior. Moreover, the Sony and Epson have those extra vital lumens which can light up larger screens or cut through residual ambient light. In any case it's slightly academic as, if folks aren't aware, the JVC X35 is now being withdrawn in Europe. Stocks will run out shortly. So that just leaves the Epson and Sony.
post #2713 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

As a calibrator who has worked with many examples of all these projectors I'd question whether the X35 is the "best of the bunch". In my opinion I'd say the HW55 is the best overall.

You are quite right there, I meant "build quality" (optics, lens shift etc), I added the important word in my list. I was very close to choosing Sony myself as it's an excellent all around projector, but the vertical lens shift was just missing the final stretch I need and it was also by far the most expensive of them all. I really like the light output, RC and noise levels of the Sony. Yes, get them JVCs while you still can, for a very good price too. Now back to the Epsons...
post #2714 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 06:10 AM

Being incredibly sensitive to fan noise, I sometimes wonder if I should've gotten the Sony but to be honest, I was already stretching my budget and buying the Sony with the wireless option (which I need) and 4 pairs of glasses (which came with my Epson) would have made it a VERY expensive projector compared to what I paid for the Epson. Will keep an eye on what Sony is putting out later on though. In the meantime, I'll keep enjoying my Epson. The only wishes I have for the nextgen Epson would be lower input lag without needing 'fast' mode and a more silent fan.
post #2715 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Being incredibly sensitive to fan noise, I sometimes wonder if I should've gotten the Sony but to be honest, I was already stretching my budget and buying the Sony with the wireless option (which I need) and 4 pairs of glasses (which came with my Epson) would have made it a VERY expensive projector compared to what I paid for the Epson. Will keep an eye on what Sony is putting out later on though. In the meantime, I'll keep enjoying my Epson. The only wishes I have for the nextgen Epson would be lower input lag without needing 'fast' mode and a more silent fan.
Nothing you can do about input lag, but have you considered making a hush box? I was planning on it, based on posts about noise, but when we watch movies it's at near theater level sound levels and I don't ever notice the fan.
post #2716 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 09:45 AM

yeah no option, living room setup.
post #2717 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 01:43 PM

Is it normal for the auto iris to be pretty audible? Sounds like a low rumble, almost like hearing thunder outside (in fact, my wife asked me this today after picking up the sound). I have the projector ceiling mounted. When I disable the auto iris. the noise is gone. The projector is pretty close to me, mounted almost right above my head at about 1,5m distance. So it is pretty close.
post #2718 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Is it normal for the auto iris to be pretty audible? Sounds like a low rumble, almost like hearing thunder outside (in fact, my wife asked me this today after picking up the sound). I have the projector ceiling mounted. When I disable the auto iris. the noise is gone. The projector is pretty close to me, mounted almost right above my head at about 1,5m distance. So it is pretty close.
Normal; only options are turn it off, turn up the volume, or make a hush box.
post #2719 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 PM

I suppose it is difficult to make a silent projector since lamps and lcd panels do need cooling. I understand this being a downside of having so much brightness. Still hoping that next generations can be more quiet.
post #2720 of 3411 Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 PM

Liked: 11
yeah the iris does rumble and in high lamp mode it is noisy, but I run it in eco and its just above my head and don't notice to much!
post #2721 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 01:01 AM

Just uploaded a video of the fan noise my TW9200W makes in both ECO (first half) and NORMAL (second half).
Check it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUgauZhkU6s&feature=youtu.be .
In real life it sounds quite a bit louder, so turn up the volume of your speakers to get a good impression (camera doesn't pick up sound that well).

I am not sure this is normal. Seems like the fan noise in eco mode should be what I would hear in eco. And eco should be a lot less loud. I can definitely hear the fan in eco mode too. I dont mind a bit of noise but this is very loud'
post #2722 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 AM

Hi guys,

I purchased my Epson 9200 yesterday and I am very impressed with the PQ. However, I noticed the power cord doesn't fit into the PJ tightly. It is loose and I can move it up and down. In saying that, I am confident it won't fall out.

The OCD tendencies in me would like to ask: is this normal?
post #2723 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdot1111 View Post

Hi guys,

I purchased my Epson 9200 yesterday and I am very impressed with the PQ. However, I noticed the power cord doesn't fit into the PJ tightly. It is loose and I can move it up and down. In saying that, I am confident it won't fall out.

IDK if it is normal but if you wrap a few turns of electrical tape around the plug it should give it a nice firm fit.

post #2724 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 06:42 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:

Hi guys,

The electrical contacts in the power cord plug should firmly grip the pins in the power socket. Over time, the clamping force of the contacts in a power cord can diminish, and the fit become 'loose', which is not a good thing - but not something you would expect from a new cord. Did you use the new cord that came with the projector, or another cord that you had lying around? I have a box of extra power cords that I've accumulated over the years, so ended up using one that worked better for length with my ceiling mount. The cord has had little or no previous use, and connects very securely when plugged in - even though the exterior of the plug is smaller, and not an interference fit with the interior of the power socket on the projector. The power cord that came with the projector is floating around somewhere in that box of extra cords now - I don't know whether or not it would have fit any more 'tightly' into the socket casing.

If the electrical connection is at all loose, and you have another cord to try, I would do so - the projector does draw a significant amount of power, and you definitely don't want loose contacts there. If the electrical contacts are snug, and you are concerned that the plug doesn't 'press fit' into the socket, I wouldn't worry about it. If the cord is long and/or heavy, make sure it has a strain relief - i.e. tie it up so the weight of the cord it not pulling on the connection.
post #2725 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Just uploaded a video of the fan noise my TW9200W makes in both ECO (first half) and NORMAL (second half).
Check it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUgauZhkU6s&feature=youtu.be .
In real life it sounds quite a bit louder, so turn up the volume of your speakers to get a good impression (camera doesn't pick up sound that well).

I am not sure this is normal. Seems like the fan noise in eco mode should be what I would hear in eco. And eco should be a lot less loud. I can definitely hear the fan in eco mode too. I dont mind a bit of noise but this is very loud'

anyone?
post #2726 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

Thanks for your reply. The cord is new (as came with the projector). I am happy that the contacts are fitting in properly, but it is easy to move the socket up and down whilst it is in the PJ. Actual movement is possible. In saying that, it's not going to come falling out. Just quite loose.

Should I take this up with Epson?
post #2727 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 07:09 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:

anyone?

Hard to tell from the video, but you can definitely hear the fan against the quietness of the room. Remember that "Normal" is high lamp mode in certain color configurations, so your best bet is to keep it on eco (unless you watch with a lot of ambient light on). The million dollar question is, can you hear it while watching and hearing a tv show, movie, game, etc...? In my HT room, I'm more sensitive to the iris in quiet scenes.
post #2728 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:

anyone?

It's virtually impossible to tell from a recording how it sounds in your environment. I had to turn the volume up considerably even to hear the point where you changed modes - there is no way I can know what volume setting on my system equals what you are hearing. As I've said before, I can't even notice my fan when it's on low - unless I put my ear right beside the exhaust vent. Yes, it does increase in volume when on high, but I don't find the noise pitch or volume level distracting from my seating position. Perhaps there are hard surfaces in your room that are not helping acoustically.
post #2729 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 AM

The fan noise in normal mode (so not ECO) is easily heard above the audio from movies or tv at normal levels. I can hear the iris working when using eco mode, but not when using normal since the fan is several times louder. It really sounds like a hairdryer blowing over my head. Even my wife who couldn't care less about projectors or fan noise has mentioned that she got annoyed by the fan noise when watching 3D content. It is somewhat ok in eco mode for me (although I expected it to be at least less noisy than my Benq w1070 was) but in 3D mode it's really very annoying.

I've mailed Epson and my dealer about this, because I have a feeling this might be a problem with my projector. I had a TW7200 for testing in my house before and can't remember it being this loud. I did not ceiling mount that but even then the difference shouldn't be that big right? I can't shake the feeling that the fan speed I'm hearing in ECO mode is what other people get in 3D mode. I've read a lot of user reviews where people mention they can't hear the fan in ECO mode, I can assure I can (easily). In ECO mode the Epson is about the same in loudness as the Benq w1070 I had and DLP projectors aren't exactly known to be quiet right?
post #2730 of 3411 Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. The cord is new (as came with the projector). I am happy that the contacts are fitting in properly, but it is easy to move the socket up and down whilst it is in the PJ. Actual movement is possible. In saying that, it's not going to come falling out. Just quite loose.

Should I take this up with Epson?

If the cord plugs in firmly, seats fully into the socket, and isn't 'loose' - I wouldn't worry about it. It should take some pressure to push in over the pins - much like the resistance felt when pushing a power plug in to a 'new' wall receptacle.

Unless the OE power plug was designed/molded as a tight interference fit with the projector socket (and it sounds like that is not the case), it is going to have room to angle slightly up and down. It just shouldn't 'flop' up and down ... smile.gif

Congratulations on your new projector - you're going to love it!

P.S. The projector end of the power plug is a standard design that is used on virtually all computer power supplies, as well as a lot of printers, receivers, DVD players, etc. If you are seriously concerned about a loose connection, try another one to compare. In the unlikely event you don't have another cord to use around the house, you could pick on up at any computer supply place for a couple of dollars.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page