Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2554 Post(s)
Liked: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1671 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

My firmware is at v100. I am just trying to figure out of a) noise should be the same in 'normal' as '3D' as it is with me and b) how loud 3D mode 'normally' is. I made a clip of the noise my projector makes in 3D mode and even my dealer thinks it's pretty loud (as far as judging that from a clip is possible). I can't shake the feeling that what I hear in eco mode is what other people hear in 3D mode. Would someone mind posting a youtube clip of the noise theirs make in 3D mode? (if you don't want it public, send me a pm).
Hey, just started mine and yes it does go on high fan mode for maybe 3 seconds then down to nearly silent( you were right kbarnes, hope you are right about darbee as I am going to grab one soon) cheers

I’d be surprised if you didn't like the Darbee. When you first get it, run a Blu-ray disc and set the Darbee to HD mode, 55%. This will give you a good idea of the improvement it makes, but in a subtle way. Later, try the Full Pop and SD modes and/or more or less % effect. All this will make sense when you have it in front of you. Please let us know how you get on with it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I can't shake the feeling that what I hear in eco mode is what other people hear in 3D mode. Would someone mind posting a youtube clip of the noise theirs make in 3D mode? (if you don't want it public, send me a pm).
Here you go. This is in my HT room. Front wall painted black, side wall and ceiling painted black for first 5 feet from screen, all carpet, 5 fabric cover reclining chairs, 75% of one side wall covered with light blocking drapes to cover lots of window space. In other words, in addition to being dark, the room doesn't bounce noise around either.

http://youtu.be/NJclS4lY7V0
post #2793 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the effort. Sounds about the same as mine I guess, but the fan output you hear when booting is the exact same with mine when watching 3D content or when using "normal" lamp mode, which is pretty loud imo.
post #2794 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the effort. Sounds about the same as mine I guess, but the fan output you hear when booting is the exact same with mine when watching 3D content or when using "normal" lamp mode, which is pretty loud imo.
Same here, the "boot" fan loudness is the same level as in 3D for me too. However, as I said, mine is in a dedicated HT room, so when we watch movies, it's like being at the theater - which also means we have the volume at near theater levels. In that condition, the fan noise, even in 3D, hasn't been an issue.

In Eco and Natural, where I do 99% of my viewing, like now watching F1 qualifying, I cannot hear the fan noise even when I have the volume pretty low.
post #2795 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Well in my case I find the fan noise just too much, I know certain room configurations can change the observation of sound but it is what it is. In eco mode I can live with it, although I do hear the iris working pretty well, but the fan in 3D is way too loud to enjoy a movie. It sounds almost exactly as my airco blowing cold air at max speed.
post #2796 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Well in my case I find the fan noise just too much, I know certain room configurations can change the observation of sound but it is what it is. In eco mode I can live with it, although I do hear the iris working pretty well, but the fan in 3D is way too loud to enjoy a movie. It sounds almost exactly as my airco blowing cold air at max speed.
My suggestion is to experiment with a hush box. Something like just getting some thin foam sheeting or even plywood sheeting and use it to block the noise. Maybe you won't even need to enclose the projector, but just make it so you cannot hear any direct noise... make it bounce off the sheeting, up to the ceiling, and then into the room.

The 5030UB is among the few projectors that I could afford that could do 3D in my living room, but that comes at a noise cost. There's no free lunch, unfortunately. Maybe someday we'll see ultra bright lights that don't put out lots of heat, but until then, this is the trade-off for having a light cannon PJ.
post #2797 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Been testing some more and got to this conclusion (tested this over and over again, always same result):

* my projector is ceiling mounted
* when I setup the projector to "front/ceiling" the fan is way too loud in 3D/normal mode
* when I change the projector setting to either "front" or "rear" (without the "ceiling") the fan immediately drops to about half the speed
* when I then change the high altitude mode to "on" and back to "off" the fan backs down even a little more
* as soos as I enable the "ceiling" mode again, the fan revs up to about twice the speed

When using the non-ceiling mode, the fan speed/noise is definitely acceptable and easily drowned out by movie-audio.
It seems my projector somehow goes into overdrive when using "ceiling" mode.
According to my dealer this is 'normal', he says when using ceiling mode the projector assumes heat gets trapped above the projector so it heats up more and needs more cooling, where using it table-mounted, the air flows away so the projector keeps cool (and thus needs less cooling from the fans).

I really hope this is a software bug/problem, because as it is now, using the projector ceiling mounted is just not possible in 3D/normal because of the noise it makes.
post #2798 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys, I have asked this before, but I am a little confused.

I know my throw distance for my 106 screen.

I have a peerless mount, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know some of you have this mount. If I use this to mount my 5030 to the ceiling, how low can the top of the screen be?
these are 9ft ceilings, but I dont plan on having this screen flush with the top. I would actually like to have it lowered so that it covers the window in the room.

I am looking for the maximum the top of the screen can be from center of the lens (am I asking that correctly?)
post #2799 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 74
lardo5150, the vertical shift is something like 1x or 1.5x the height of the screen, I don't remember but it is well documented here. In other words, you can have it mounted well above the top edge of the screen and you can still shift the image down. A 120" screen is nearly 5' high, therefore in a 9' room even if you rested the screen on the floor and mounted the projector flush to the ceiling you should be able to easily shift the image down to the screen.
post #2800 of 4354 Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
HI
I have had the 5030 since shortly after it came out.
I am generally very happy with it, it is my 3rd LCD projector.

However, is anyone else frustrated by motion blur when watching sports (basketball, football for example?)

I have played with all the settings (De-interlacing , Frame Interpolation, Sharpening, etc.), and have even tried video processors (DVDO, and a Oppo 130D), to allow a different device to do the de-interlacing) to see if I can get a PQ quality I can enjoy.

Today I couldn't stand to watch the first Final Four game on the PJ it was so annoying. It looks great on my Plasma (of course) and even looks great on my lower end LCD TVs.

Has anyone found settings that can reduce the motion blur on this PJ?

I am using a DISH Hopper as the source. I am using the Endaget website which tells if you if a broadcast is in 720p or 1080i, and setting the Hopper output to match the broadcast signal so that the Hopper isn't doing any up-converting or de-interlacing (doesn't help much)

Thinking about trying DirectTV to see if that's any better.

Sometimes its worse than others, maybe the TruTV broadcast of today's game was worse than usual.
post #2801 of 4354 Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:

Been testing some more and got to this conclusion (tested this over and over again, always same result):

* my projector is ceiling mounted
* when I setup the projector to "front/ceiling" the fan is way too loud in 3D/normal mode
* when I change the projector setting to either "front" or "rear" (without the "ceiling") the fan immediately drops to about half the speed
* when I then change the high altitude mode to "on" and back to "off" the fan backs down even a little more
* as soos as I enable the "ceiling" mode again, the fan revs up to about twice the speed

When using the non-ceiling mode, the fan speed/noise is definitely acceptable and easily drowned out by movie-audio.
It seems my projector somehow goes into overdrive when using "ceiling" mode.
According to my dealer this is 'normal', he says when using ceiling mode the projector assumes heat gets trapped above the projector so it heats up more and needs more cooling, where using it table-mounted, the air flows away so the projector keeps cool (and thus needs less cooling from the fans).

I really hope this is a software bug/problem, because as it is now, using the projector ceiling mounted is just not possible in 3D/normal because of the noise it makes.

I've found that the THX setting on 3D considerably reduces the fan noise. But having said that my ceiling mounted projector generally is quite in operation. I use Eco mode and THX for both 2D & 3D. The only time I really notice any fan noise is during the start up cycle, but then only briefly.
post #2802 of 4354 Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

HI

However, is anyone else frustrated by motion blur when watching sports (basketball, football for example?)

I have played with all the settings (De-interlacing , Frame Interpolation, Sharpening, etc.), and have even tried video processors (DVDO, and a Oppo 130D), to allow a different device to do the de-interlacing) to see if I can get a PQ quality I can enjoy.

Today I couldn't stand to watch the first Final Four game on the PJ it was so annoying. It looks great on my Plasma (of course) and even looks great on my lower end LCD TVs.

I am using a DISH Hopper as the source. I am using the Endaget website which tells if you if a broadcast is in 720p or 1080i, and setting the Hopper output to match the broadcast signal so that the Hopper isn't doing any up-converting or de-interlacing (doesn't help much)

Sometimes its worse than others, maybe the TruTV broadcast of today's game was worse than usual.

Is this broadcast from cbs? Do you notice it as much on other channels? CBS quality generally is not very good compared to the other networks, if that's the case then it won't change much moving to a different provider.

Sometimes on fox I notice a weird judder effect, when watching the Super Bowl on fox I had that judder for the first quarter and it was unwatchable, I did notice it on all the tvs in the house obviously not as much as on the pj and I have direct tv.

Garbage in garbage out...
post #2803 of 4354 Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2554 Post(s)
Liked: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

HI

I’d say it is the source. One of the things that I wanted to specifically test when switching to the 9200/5030 was how it handled motion in comparison with my former DLP PJ. As you may know, DLP units are especially good at delivering very smooth motion. While the Epson is not as good as the old DLP, it is almost as good with the FI set to Low. I have some 'killer' Blu-ray scenes I use to test motion blur and they were all rendered very satisfactorily by the Epson.

Have you tried it with a Blu-ray source rather than an off-air source?  

post #2804 of 4354 Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post

Guys, I have asked this before, but I am a little confused.
I know my throw distance for my 106 screen.
I have a peerless mount, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I know some of you have this mount. If I use this to mount my 5030 to the ceiling, how low can the top of the screen be?
these are 9ft ceilings, but I dont plan on having this screen flush with the top. I would actually like to have it lowered so that it covers the window in the room.
I am looking for the maximum the top of the screen can be from center of the lens (am I asking that correctly?)
The total possible vertical offset is equal to 1/2 of the display height, as measured from the center of the lens. What this means is that you can measure the vertical height of your screen, and the 5030UB can be shifted so that the top of the projected image is 1/2 of the total height down from the center of the lens. A 106" diagonal 16:9 screen has a height of ~52.5" (.495 x 106) so it can be shifted down 1/2 of ~52.5" -- or ~26" from the center of the projector lens.
post #2805 of 4354 Old 04-06-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I asked this some time back, and I know it all depends on screen, personal preference, etc.

Is there a calibration that everyone seems to float to, or come close to?

I have an elite screen, and I can't find a calibration thread anywhere, wondering if people are posting their setup somewhere else?
post #2806 of 4354 Old 04-06-2014, 04:37 PM

Liked: 14
I asked this some time back, and I know it all depends on screen, personal preference, etc.

Is there a calibration that everyone seems to float to, or come close to?

I have an elite screen, and I can't find a calibration thread anywhere, wondering if people are posting their setup somewhere else?:

Hi, lardo5150. When I got my old Epson 1080UB (TW-2000) I used the calibration settings that Art Feierman  from Projector Reviews suggested in his review of that projector.  The picture quality has been stellar for  6 years now.  Below is the link.  Give them a try.  You can always redo them if you don't like the picture.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5030ub-calibration-settings/

post #2807 of 4354 Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 74
It looks like the 5040 is on the horizon. the 5030 has been listed as discontinued in both the Best buy and Fry's electronics computer systems as of this week
post #2808 of 4354 Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Liked: 10
What's up guys. - I can shed some light. Lipot. Christo. I wouldn't worry too much. I have 2 of these projectors. They both do it.

One does it more random than the other. But it does exactly that. Hi fan then delayed bulb strike. I think that guy who said sensitive firmware was right. But as a caveat. My second one I bought was direct from Epson. Not a retailer. Does that matter. Don't know. But I think it says it's a common thing. I'm not worried about it. Shoot it cleans ou the dust right ?

This projector is great!!!
post #2809 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello there,

How is the sde(screendor) versus the old 9000 model?
I sit upclose and i saw the screendoor with the old 9000 model.(if you have very white screens like snowy mountains etc)

And is the picture in gaming mode alot reduced?

I can trade my sony hw55es for the epson but those things above scare me....

Best regards
post #2810 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

How is the sde(screendor) versus the old 9000 model?
I sit upclose and i saw the screendoor with the old 9000 model.(if you have very white screens like snowy mountains etc)

If you define "upclose" (actual distance from screen, and the screen size) we can tell you if SDE should be noticable.
post #2811 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

It looks like the 5040 is on the horizon. the 5030 has been listed as discontinued in both the Best buy and Fry's electronics computer systems as of this week

Sweet! Give me a fast mode without quality degradation and lower fan noise please!
post #2812 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

Wow! That is strange, shipping for only 6 months! eek.gif

I realize the new ones are typically released late September/early October and production has to end sometime, but ????

post #2813 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 AM

Same. These are the exact two things I would like to see improved. To be honest, the fast mode does degrade image a little bit but for games it is hardly noticeable, even when looking for it. But the fan noise (in 3D mode when ceiling mounted) is just too much for me (especially in my specific mounting conditions). I don't understand why the fan has to be quite a bit louder when using it ceiling mounted, when I change the menu for table use (so inverted image in my case) the fan drops down to about half the speed (and noise) which is a lot more comfortable. Any way to fix this btw?
post #2814 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:

... when I change the menu for table use (so inverted image in my case) the fan drops down to about half the speed (and noise) which is a lot more comfortable. Any way to fix this btw?

Build a lightweight conversion bracket to hold the projector from underneath that you can attach to your existing ceiling mount - and flip the projector over.
post #2815 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 AM

Since I have two left hands, any idea what this would look like or where I could get something like this? Seems a bit strange that the software insists on going to a higher fan speed when ceiling mounting the projector, never had a projector do this. In the case of the Epson is seems even less logical since the air intake/outlet is at the front so it should make no difference in cooling performance if it's ceiling mounted or not.
post #2816 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Since I have two left hands, any idea what this would look like or where I could get something like this? Seems a bit strange that the software insists on going to a higher fan speed when ceiling mounting the projector, never had a projector do this. In the case of the Epson is seems even less logical since the air intake/outlet is at the front so it should make no difference in cooling performance if it's ceiling mounted or not.

Something relatively simple like this would work, although this example isn't well suited to adapting to an existing mount. You could certainly build a lot lighter example, with just a minimal skeleton to hit the mounting screw points. Something like that probably is out there as a product, if you looked hard enough.

As heat rises, I'm sure Epson's concern is that the heat is going to going to be trapped at the ceiling level, which means that hot air is sucked back in to cool the projector - not a problem when the projector is on a table. Realistically, I think that would only be an issue in very hot ambient temperatures where the air temp at ceiling level is already high, and the projector itself is mounted very close to the ceiling.
post #2817 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM

I think that's why a lot of people here post that the noise is not an issue, because they use it on a table/shelf. The noise difference is very substantial when setting the projector to ceiling mounted. Feels kinda stupid to having to switch to a solution like the one you posted to keep the noise level down, when a simple software fix could avoid this. I understand the reasoning behind the air getting trapped, but I see a lot of setups where the Epson is put on a shelf which has a lot less room to vent air around it compared to when it's ceiling mounted, so it feels like a pretty silly thing to rev the fans up when using a ceiling mount.
post #2818 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 AM

My projector is ceiling mounted, upside down - and as I've mentioned the fan sound in high mode is not a problem for me, in my environment. Yes, it does switch to a lower fan speed in high lamp mode when toggled off of ceiling mode, so for now you could certainly lower the noise that way - if you know someone who is handy with bending sheet metal making a bracket would be pretty simple. In the meantime, send a note to Epson and tell them you'd like to see a fan setting option added in a new firmware release. The projector should be capable of thermally protecting itself and ramp up the fan on it's own if the internal temperature demands it - they've already got a sensor in there to shut it down if it overheats.
post #2819 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 AM

Anyone know where to send something like this to Epson? I'm in the process of getting my projector checked out by Epson (Belgium) but their support seems incredibly bad. Mails stay unanswered for several days etc.
post #2820 of 4354 Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Hi
Is anyone using their 5030 with a Oppo 103D (with Darbee)?
I am wondering if you prefer the super-resolution on the Epson or the Video Smoothing on the Oppo, or both?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page