Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 3557 Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post

No...not joking. I've seen it already (bought it Tuesday). I did not experience what you describe. Although it is a darker film than the first...

I tried the movie again. Moved around settings. No change. Then suddenly it was better when i moved the depth setting up and then back to 0. Very strange. Now I have to rewatch it because it just looks spectacular. I doubt it looked this good in the local theater. So weird though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3557 Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I am using a 3ft from BD player to processor and then a 36 footer to the PJ. Most of mine are Monoprice. However, the 36 I ordered from ebay for about $35 and it is very thick.

Hmm, I'm going to run a test with a shorter cable and see if that eliminates the problem. It may be that your processor has more juice in passing on the signal over a long run than the Oppo. I don't have a processor yet (one is on order), so that is why I'm hooking up the projector directly to the Oppo. Thanks for the info and keep you posted.
post #2883 of 3557 Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoe View Post

Hmm, I'm going to run a test with a shorter cable and see if that eliminates the problem. It may be that your processor has more juice in passing on the signal over a long run than the Oppo. I don't have a processor yet (one is on order), so that is why I'm hooking up the projector directly to the Oppo. Thanks for the info and keep you posted.

Sounds good, best of luck.

post #2884 of 3557 Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 PM

What I've noticed regarding loud fan noise in high lamp modes is if it kicks in really loud than I drop it to low lamp until the fan goes back to being quiet. At that point I switch it back to high lamp and it remains relatively quiet compared to the hair dryer volume it sometimes puts out. Just remember to reduce the lamp before power down so when you fire it back up you're not in the same situation. Why it does this, who knows?
post #2885 of 3557 Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysmythe View Post

It is very dark, almost dim. I expected a lot more from the reviews on picture quality. Perhaps a setting on the player was impeding this. Somehow I think not.

I've done all my 3D viewing in ECO mode with the 3D glasses setting to medium brightness and have had zero issues with crosstalk with the Epson glasses. I found when using the Samsung glasses I would get some crosstalk, but not when I tilted the glasses, so it must have something to do with the way those glasses rested on my face. I've also have no issues whatsoever with brightness, but I have a pitch black room and a Da-lite High Power screen.
post #2886 of 3557 Old 04-11-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I've done all my 3D viewing in ECO mode with the 3D glasses setting to medium brightness and have had zero issues with crosstalk with the Epson glasses. I found when using the Samsung glasses I would get some crosstalk, but not when I tilted the glasses, so it must have something to do with the way those glasses rested on my face. I've also have no issues whatsoever with brightness, but I have a pitch black room and a Da-lite High Power screen.

Unfortunately, my room is currently shiny white with reflective stained concrete floors so I get some light reflection which can wash out blacks in some scenes. I'm hoping to be able to paint it dark some day as I imagine this would improve things. In the meantime it makes it difficult to know what screen type to get. I'm still using a make shift 120 inch I put together with blackout cloth to see how big a screen I wanted.

Not sure I understand how the projector can be in ECO mode but have glasses set to medium. 3D brightness at med or high takes the lamp out of ECO doesn't it?
post #2887 of 3557 Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, my room is currently shiny white with reflective stained concrete floors so I get some light reflection which can wash out blacks in some scenes. I'm hoping to be able to paint it dark some day as I imagine this would improve things. In the meantime it makes it difficult to know what screen type to get. I'm still using a make shift 120 inch I put together with blackout cloth to see how big a screen I wanted.
I have dark grey walls, a white ceiling and cream colored carpet. My wife isn't down with painting the ceiling, but I don't feel a need to either.
Quote:

Not sure I understand how the projector can be in ECO mode but have glasses set to medium. 3D brightness at med or high takes the lamp out of ECO doesn't it?
Sorry, I ment to say I run the projector in THX, not ECO. Either way, the color mode of the projector and the brightness setting of the 3D glasses are separate settings. The color mode in 3D can be; Dynamic, Cinema or THX. The 3D brightness is under the 3D setup menu and there are 3 options, I think they are low, normal and high. I typically run it at normal. You can set the brightness to high, but it increases crosstalk. If you want to decrease crosstalk you can set it to low.
post #2888 of 3557 Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

What I've noticed regarding loud fan noise in high lamp modes is if it kicks in really loud than I drop it to low lamp until the fan goes back to being quiet. At that point I switch it back to high lamp and it remains relatively quiet compared to the hair dryer volume it sometimes puts out. Just remember to reduce the lamp before power down so when you fire it back up you're not in the same situation. Why it does this, who knows?

strange isn't it? is everyone still at fw v100 ?
post #2889 of 3557 Old 04-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I have dark grey walls, a white ceiling and cream colored carpet. My wife isn't down with painting the ceiling, but I don't feel a need to either.
Sorry, I ment to say I run the projector in THX, not ECO. Either way, the color mode of the projector and the brightness setting of the 3D glasses are separate settings. The color mode in 3D can be; Dynamic, Cinema or THX. The 3D brightness is under the 3D setup menu and there are 3 options, I think they are low, normal and high. I typically run it at normal. You can set the brightness to high, but it increases crosstalk. If you want to decrease crosstalk you can set it to low.

I tried it on low and yes it did reduce some of the crosstalk I was seeing. Some is still visible. Low is pretty dark for this already dark movie, but i got used to it. I moved my seating position several feet closer than if I was watching 2D and I really liked the experience better.
post #2890 of 3557 Old 04-13-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have not tried gaming yet, which I plan to do tonight.
How is that experience? Do you need to switch to a specific mode?
smithysmythe likes this.
post #2891 of 3557 Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post

I have not tried gaming yet, which I plan to do tonight.
How is that experience? Do you need to switch to a specific mode?

I'll play single player games in "fine" mode and multiplayer games in "fast" mode.
post #2892 of 3557 Old 04-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Any reason why netflix seems pixelated and text in shows are blury
post #2893 of 3557 Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Sounds like a combination of compression artifacts due to low bitrate encoding (and then exacerbated by using a projector which blows up the image revealing these issues much easier due to the sheer size of the image) and scaling issues that the software player uses which can make text look soft.

Moral of the story, don't expect great picture quality from netflix at these screen sizes. On an HDTV or phone/tablet Netflix can get away with low bitrate encoding because of far higher pixel density, which makes compression artifacts far less noticeable, and viewing distances in relation to screen size are also MUCH higher compared to projection screen sizes and seating distances. All of this culminates into a bad Netflix experience with basically any projector, including this Epson. My suggestion is to stick to blu-ray if you want an artifact free and enjoyable picture quality experience with projectors. Most HDTV cable channels will look similar for the same reasons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2894 of 3557 Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Having issues getting a perfectly square (or rectangular) image. I've set levels on the projector itself and done my best to get the thing flat. Also messed with lens shift and turning the projector left to right. Any tips? I definitely don't want to use the keystone adjustments.

Thanks.
post #2895 of 3557 Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Sounds like a combination of compression artifacts due to low bitrate encoding (and then exacerbated by using a projector which blows up the image revealing these issues much easier due to the sheer size of the image) and scaling issues that the software player uses which can make text look soft.

Moral of the story, don't expect great picture quality from netflix at these screen sizes. On an HDTV or phone/tablet Netflix can get away with low bitrate encoding because of far higher pixel density, which makes compression artifacts far less noticeable, and viewing distances in relation to screen size are also MUCH higher compared to projection screen sizes and seating distances. All of this culminates into a bad Netflix experience with basically any projector, including this Epson. My suggestion is to stick to blu-ray if you want an artifact free and enjoyable picture quality experience with projectors. Most HDTV cable channels will look similar for the same reasons.

If you are streaming at the full resolution they offer (super HD...which is 1080 vs 720 for HD) you shouldn't experience those problems. I did find that super HD often looked better on apple tv vs through my mac via hdmi. This was while watching House of Cards on my 120inch screen and it looked outstanding!
post #2896 of 3557 Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRebel View Post

Having issues getting a perfectly square (or rectangular) image. I've set levels on the projector itself and done my best to get the thing flat. Also messed with lens shift and turning the projector left to right. Any tips? I definitely don't want to use the keystone adjustments.

Thanks.

If the problem is getting the image sides of equal length, set the lens shift in the middle of it's range, and turn the projector to the left or right until both sides are the same length - then you may need lens shift to centre the image on your screen. If the problem is with the top and bottom, centre the vertical lens shift and level the PJ - the image should be the same top and bottom unless you screen is not vertically plumb. If it isn't, tilt the PJ until the PJ is perpendicular - then use the vertical lens shift to move it onto the screen.
post #2897 of 3557 Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

If you are streaming at the full resolution they offer (super HD...which is 1080 vs 720 for HD) you shouldn't experience those problems. I did find that super HD often looked better on apple tv vs through my mac via hdmi. This was while watching House of Cards on my 120inch screen and it looked outstanding!

Not all ISPs or locations allow for "super HD" so YMMV when it comes to bitrates or resolutions through Netflix. Most Netflix users won't be able to actually utilize super HD due to bandwidth limitations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2898 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Not all ISPs or locations allow for "super HD" so YMMV when it comes to bitrates or resolutions through Netflix. Most Netflix users won't be able to actually utilize super HD due to bandwidth limitations.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation guys, makes sense. The Netflix was being streamed through my Xbox One. The Xbox One was set to 1080p, I am not sure if you have to set something in netflix, but I will look.
The picture was not terrible, absolutely watchable, but it was little things I was noticing. I just started house of cards, and I noticed when the reporter would text Kevin Spacey's character, I had a hard time reading the text, that is when I first noticed it.

Again, as I have said, the only thing I have done with this projector is adjust the screen size/focus, I have not done any calibration with it.

On a related topic that I started yesterday, I played a few minutes of Titanfall on the Xbox One with the Epson projector. Again, straight out of the box no settings changed, and I thought it looked great.

For coming straight out of the box, with no calibration, I am actually very happy. i am sure I can get it looking even better, but right now it just seems perfectly fine to me. And again, I am not having any fan noise issues (I have not updated firmware or anything yet either).

This projector was a great choice.
post #2899 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 AM

Liked: 16
Do you have it ceiling mounted? Asking because it is only when setting it to cieling mount that my projector gets louder (with high lamp modes or in 3D). Should have an appointment with my dealer next thursday to check it against another one.
post #2900 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Do you have it ceiling mounted? Asking because it is only when setting it to cieling mount that my projector gets louder (with high lamp modes or in 3D). Should have an appointment with my dealer next thursday to check it against another one.

I do.
Pictures here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1514486/new-home-first-media-room-setup
post #2901 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the explanation guys, makes sense. The Netflix was being streamed through my Xbox One. The Xbox One was set to 1080p, I am not sure if you have to set something in netflix, but I will look.
The picture was not terrible, absolutely watchable, but it was little things I was noticing. I just started house of cards, and I noticed when the reporter would text Kevin Spacey's character, I had a hard time reading the text, that is when I first noticed it.
As an FYI for you and others, if you have alternative ways of streaming Netflix, try them. The reason I say this is because I used to stream Netflix to my PJ using my PS3, but one evening I was having trouble just logging into Netflix after a mandatory PS3 update, so I switched to Netflix via my AppleTV, and the picture was MUCH better using the ATV. I've since switched back and forth several times, and the ATV always has the better picture. I assumed that the PS3, having more processor power and memory, would provide the better picture, but that assumption turned out to be wrong. I don't know why the ATV provides a better picture, but it consistently provides a better quality picture than my PS3.
post #2902 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post

As an FYI for you and others, if you have alternative ways of streaming Netflix, try them. The reason I say this is because I used to stream Netflix to my PJ using my PS3, but one evening I was having trouble just logging into Netflix after a mandatory PS3 update, so I switched to Netflix via my AppleTV, and the picture was MUCH better using the ATV. I've since switched back and forth several times, and the ATV always has the better picture. I assumed that the PS3, having more processor power and memory, would provide the better picture, but that assumption turned out to be wrong. I don't know why the ATV provides a better picture, but it consistently provides a better quality picture than my PS3.

That is weird. I would think the X1 would be able to handle it.
Let me try it from my HTPC tonight (it is windows 8 with XBMC)
post #2903 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View Post

That is interesting. I have not had a PS3 for several years and never got a chance to compare.

post #2904 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

That is weird. I would think the X1 would be able to handle it.
Let me try it from my HTPC tonight (it is windows 8 with XBMC)
It might just be some odd combination of hardware and internet connection (I have TWC) but my experience is that all Netflix connections aren't all the same.
post #2905 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:

I uploaded another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDha17eSfHw

This shows my projector playing a 3D bluray. You can see me changing the menu so it goes to a non-ceiling mounted setup and hear the fan noise drop, after turning it back to "front/ceiling" you can hear the fan ramp up but somehow it does not go to the same speed as it was before switching the setting. Still too loud imo. I really have a feeling this is a firmware thing. I wonder if resetting the projector might help, but then I'll lose my calibrated settings won't I? Is there some sort of factory reset?

Fwiw: same in ECO mode, but lower fan speed/noise

Yeah, that not right at all.  I have had mine for 3 weeks and LOVE IT!

post #2906 of 3557 Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
watched avengers with the kids last night, looked stunning tweaked THX mode, cant wait to get my fixed screen and try darbee probly in the next few weeks should have it sorted ordered theatre seats today, good to see 16 x 9 flick like avengers,smile.gif
post #2907 of 3557 Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Royer View Post

Quote:

I uploaded another video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDha17eSfHw

This shows my projector playing a 3D bluray. You can see me changing the menu so it goes to a non-ceiling mounted setup and hear the fan noise drop, after turning it back to "front/ceiling" you can hear the fan ramp up but somehow it does not go to the same speed as it was before switching the setting. Still too loud imo. I really have a feeling this is a firmware thing. I wonder if resetting the projector might help, but then I'll lose my calibrated settings won't I? Is there some sort of factory reset?

Fwiw: same in ECO mode, but lower fan speed/noise

Yeah, that not right at all.  I have had mine for 3 weeks and LOVE IT!

Agreed that something isn't right there.  I’d suggest getting the dealer to swap the unit.

post #2908 of 3557 Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 1711

Interesting comment in this review of the essentially similar TW7200:

"Finally there is the issue of fan noise. In the Eco lamp setting and using the Natural picture mode, the TW7200 was very quiet and it certainly wasn't an issue. We had heard reports of the noise increasing when ceiling mounted and although we use a stand mounting for reviews, we turned the Epson upside down to simulate a ceiling mount. The tone of the fans certainly changed, presumably because they were reversed, and it did get slightly louder but it was still very quiet and no worse than any other projector we have reviewed. When we switched to the Normal lamp setting, the noise increased considerably, although given the increased brightness and thus the greater amounts of heat produced, this is to be expected. However the noise was extremely loud in ceiling mode so, if you plan on ceiling mounting, using the projector in daylight or watching a lot of 3D (which uses the Normal lamp setting as a default), you might want to demo before buying."

(My bolding)

So maybe it is normal after all.

post #2909 of 3557 Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 AM

Ya, I just dont have that problem. We watched a movie last night, no loud fan noise
post #2910 of 3557 Old 04-15-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Given the $2599 MSRP .. this pj is in the wrong section.
jbernardi likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page