How good are 3rd party wirelesss HDMI devices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Getting ready to pull the trigger on the Sony 50ES, but I'll definitely need wireless HDMI when I hang it. I know there've been a number of 3rd party Wifi HDMI devices out there and was wondering if they work fine or should I consider saving up for the 55ES.

Ok actually there's a second part to this question. One PITA with my setup is the receiver, blu-ray etc is in a separate room since that's where the in wall speaker wire connects. The rooms are next to each other with a stairway between. Would the HDMI wifi penetrate the walls with no degradation or will I have to run the Oppo player into the HT room on a long HDMI cable from the receiver in the other room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-20-2013, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Really? Nobody's using wireless hdmi to their projectors? I guess that answers my question...
post #3 of 7 Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I've used this kit with good success:

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHDKIT-Wireless-Digital-Channel/dp/B00630WKGI

it worked surprisingly well in my HT setup (no skipping or stuttering). I was using them at work and decided to try it out at home. It can handle a 3D Bluray stream with HD audio.

Obviously the room conditions can greatly affect the ability for it to work correctly. You have to buy the kit and see how it works in your environment.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-21-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I also use the iogear device to send tv/movie signals through a wall to my HDTV in my adjacent homegym. It works perfectly.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh great - it also goes through walls which is a must in my set up. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I've used this kit with good success:

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHDKIT-Wireless-Digital-Channel/dp/B00630WKGI

it worked surprisingly well in my HT setup (no skipping or stuttering). I was using them at work and decided to try it out at home. It can handle a 3D Bluray stream with HD audio.

How did you get HD audio working? When I connected it to my PC it only supported DTS and DD... not HD audio. Also, 60 feet and one wall was a no go.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The IOGEAR is a 5GHz device which means it does not have enough bandwidth for lossless video or even high-bitrate lossless audio. So it has to encode them, it probably uses h264 to re-encode the video signal. You probably won't notice the difference unless you do an A/B comparison OR you plan on using your projector with a computer in which case text will look like crap.

The upside of a 5GHz device is that it can go through some walls, it does depend on the specific wall though.

I have used a rocketfish WHD2000 between my denon 4311 and my optoma hd81lv for about a year and a half. That rocketfish model is a 60GHz device and is able to do lossless video and lossless audio. The downside is that it is line-of-sight only, absolutely no chance of running it through a wall. If I stand in exactly the right place between the transmitter and receiver the picture de-rezzes. I am satisfied with the rocketfish, once in a while I have syncing problems, but I think that is more of a problem between my denon and the optoma rather than the rocketfish.

Here is a reasonable review of the IOGEAR and some 60GHz units. They are very much in favor of the IOGEAR unit.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/

Something you might consider is a HDBaseT setup - it isn't wireless, but it is more flexible than standard HDMI. Pricing is currently on-par with the wireless HDMI units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDBaseT

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Rocketfish , Iogear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page