max zoom on JVC bad idea? - AVS Forum
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > max zoom on JVC bad idea?
sanderdvd's Avatar sanderdvd 11:36 AM 09-13-2013
I switched my screen and now i need to use 100% zoom on my jvc x30.

What are the downsides of this? I have a complete darkened batcave 0lux

noah katz's Avatar noah katz 01:38 PM 09-13-2013
Zoomed in or out?

Anyway, minimum image size gives lowest brightness, highest contrast, and least chromatic aberraion; max is the opposite.

And you could look at it and see for yourself.
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 01:44 PM 09-13-2013
I used longest, mid, and max zoom. I prefer max zoom for the big picture. However, contrast and sharpness decrease as you increase zoom. Doesn't effect the picture enough tho. I just increase my Darbee and everything is good
Kelvin1965S's Avatar Kelvin1965S 07:07 AM 09-15-2013
I have my X35 in a long throw set up onto a 112" wide 2.35:1 screen so the X35 is at minimum zoom (telephoto). I've been to X55 demos (and also calibrated one) and they were in short throw set ups and to me they didn't seem as sharp, especially on things like menus (even with Eshift off so like an X35 in this regard). I'd like to change my room around but it would mean shooting across it and therefore I'd go to the opposite end of zoom and it puts me off, plus I wouldn't be able to use my A-Lens in this set up due to vignetting and other lens issues of using short throw.

However, if you have no choice, then all you can do is try it out. Perhaps you'll be perfectly happy with it and after all you do gain some brightness (at the cost of some contrast of course).
sanderdvd's Avatar sanderdvd 12:50 AM 09-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I have my X35 in a long throw set up onto a 112" wide 2.35:1 screen so the X35 is at minimum zoom (telephoto). I've been to X55 demos (and also calibrated one) and they were in short throw set ups and to me they didn't seem as sharp, especially on things like menus (even with Eshift off so like an X35 in this regard). I'd like to change my room around but it would mean shooting across it and therefore I'd go to the opposite end of zoom and it puts me off, plus I wouldn't be able to use my A-Lens in this set up due to vignetting and other lens issues of using short throw.

However, if you have no choice, then all you can do is try it out. Perhaps you'll be perfectly happy with it and after all you do gain some brightness (at the cost of some contrast of course).
was hoping for a reply from you m8.

From what I ve heard is that you don t loose that much contrast with max zoom (projector closest to screen) but you do lose much brightness with min zoom (projector furthest from screen). Because I want to light up a 118'' screen with a JVC that has pretty low light output maybe it will be good to use max zoom and closest to screen? Also, losing a bit of contrast does not really matter because we JVC users have the most contrast of almost all projectors.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 07:53 AM 09-16-2013
if you have the space to choose either, then test it out before you mount the projector, simple as that.

personally, the last thing i'd call my x35 is dim
Kelvin1965S's Avatar Kelvin1965S 01:15 PM 09-16-2013
I manage to light up a 112" wide 2.35:1 screen with my X35 at min zoom (and with a lens of course) to a measured 14fL and the aperture is at -8 (@260 hours on the lamp). It might help that my screen is a 1.5 gain as well. 118" if diagonal is smaller than my screen so I don't think you'll have a problem at either end of the zoom, but check it out to see which you prefer.
Tags: Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector
Up
Mobile  Desktop