Does anyone game on the Epson 6020UB projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

In short - wife and I were planning to get this projector. (movies, and games, plus videos/photographed viewable as a media server via the PC on the network with the PS3)...

However, saw a comment this weekend regarding lag. One person commented that the Panasonic ae8000 is a better choice for gaming and movie quality is almost as good as the epson (referring to the black levels, and sharpness of the image).

I am wondering; has anyone tried gaming on the Epson 6020, and how bad is the lag on it? some searching came up with reviews, but none has a measureable lag amount in the review. One site mentioned it's around 50, while the Panasonic is around 35 (sorry, forgot units of measure).

The games we play:

Wife - Gran Turismo 5, 6 (end of year), GTA 5 (out soon), Sonic, Injustice

Me - Injustice, GTA, SF4, MK9, SoulCalibur, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Capcom vs Tekken, Sonic, God of War Series

(we don't play that much since most of my gaming is still on the PC - 5760x1080 eyefinity baby! :P hehe but want to make sure my wife's experience won't be harshly affected if we did get the Epson still).

I can't find a place here in Toronto, where we could go and see both projectors setup already frown.gif

Regards,

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Liked: 18
If you need to get something in short order, look into the sony hw50. Better lag time than the pte8000 and by most reports i have read matches or exceeds the contrast and black level performance of the epson with smoother and quieter iris operation.

If you can wait for a few months, reevaluate your options when all the new units come out.

I think the 6020 is around 60ms lag which is difficult for some to game on, others may have no issues with it. Difficult to say for sure, but what can be said is that you are less likely to be dissapointed with lag with something like the hw50 over the epson, and it sounds like gaming is quite an important part of the pj experience for you.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

we were hoping to have stuff sorted out before december...

we just got the speakers. We have to research screens, projector, receiver, subwoofer, and sofas smile.gif

We know the screen will be 110 inch diag...about 4.5 ft x 8 ft since that is what fits well in the space we have and still allows the speakers to be on the sides (if screen is bigger, we'd need to get an Acoustic Transparent screen which apparently increases cost quite a bit).

Will look into that sony projector as well; do you know when the new models are to be released?

Sad that epson has the best warranty, etc yet their lag sucks apparently frown.gif

Regards,

Sanjay
post #4 of 20 Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfyre View Post

we were hoping to have stuff sorted out before december...

we just got the speakers. We have to research screens, projector, receiver, subwoofer, and sofas smile.gif

We know the screen will be 110 inch diag...about 4.5 ft x 8 ft since that is what fits well in the space we have and still allows the speakers to be on the sides (if screen is bigger, we'd need to get an Acoustic Transparent screen which apparently increases cost quite a bit).

Will look into that sony projector as well; do you know when the new models are to be released?

Sad that epson has the best warranty, etc yet their lag sucks apparently frown.gif

Regards,

Sanjay

The new Epson 5030 and 6030 projectors may be out by late October or November and these are said to offer a game mode with a shorter input lag. These will be introduced at the CEDIA Expo show next week in Denver. Also the Sony HW50es is being replaced with the HW55es, also being introduced at CEDIA next week. US prices and availability dates should be announced at the show.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 20 Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 PM

I play on my 6020UB a lot. I have no issues with lag at all. I put the processing on Fast and color setting on Dynamic and no issues. Let me know if you have any other questions.

post #6 of 20 Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Another information point you can use is your current set. Try to get lag numbers for it and that will at least give you a frame of reference for if it will affect you. A lot of tvs have more lag than the projectors.

Also as mentioned the new 5030 and 6030 have a game mode which should be closer to the Sony in teems of lag.

Of course you can always check out the Sony too.i have an hw50 and love it

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #7 of 20 Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hey,

Currently we don't have a projector; just a tv.

We're thinking to wait for the Epson 6030 and see if it really does come with a good game mode. Their customer service/warranties are awesome (incase there ever is an issue).

But i have added that sony HW50 to possible ones to buy. Also, there's a pansonic one that I have marked as a possibility.

smile.gif

Hopefully the 6030 is awesome but not too much more expensive :P

Sanjay
post #8 of 20 Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Tvs have input lag too. That's my point. Look up the input lag of your tv and see how it compares. You might be surprised that your tv has more lag than some projectors you're looking at.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #9 of 20 Old 09-20-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

ah ok...will have to find the original model #..not sure what it is smile.gif will check at home tonight smile.gif

thanks.

Sanjay
post #10 of 20 Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

couldn't find any mention of input lag online for the tv...forgot to post here on weekend when i checked the manual for the model #.

it's the older (2008) 52 inch sharp aquos.

i don't notice any lag when playing though. maybe won't notice on a projector.

Regards.

Sanjay
post #11 of 20 Old 09-26-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, LC-52d82U

Found a site where someone measured it and it reported 13 ms input lag.

Seems much lower than the projectors.

Epson 6030 is listed on the sites now, but no mention of lag measurements frown.gif

Still our #1 choice due to their awesome warranty incase something goes wrong...however, still keeping the sony and panasonic in mind

Regards,

Sanjay
post #12 of 20 Old 09-26-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfyre View Post

Ok, LC-52d82U

Found a site where someone measured it and it reported 13 ms input lag.

Seems much lower than the projectors.

Epson 6030 is listed on the sites now, but no mention of lag measurements frown.gif

Still our #1 choice due to their awesome warranty incase something goes wrong...however, still keeping the sony and panasonic in mind

Regards,

Sanjay

Sony has Sony ES series has a very strong warranty as well. They also tend to cross ship and also on infant failures ship you a new PJ immediately. Both 6030 and 50 are a slightly different league in terms of warranties.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #13 of 20 Old 09-26-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 939
i think it's one of those things many ppl have already gotten used to. i was worried when buying my new displays this year(samsung f8500 with over 100ms and the jvc x35 ~80ms) but in both cases they are 95% imperceivable. i do switch the f8500 into PC mode which reduces lag close to 65ms from what i've read. i find minor issues with kinect type games, and that's it for me. i would imagine though that SF4 will be a definite issue, you don't have much time to get those button presses in, and you can't really 'adjust' your timing since you can'd predict it coming. i play a lot more games like FPS and sports games, so you can anticipate the need for a button press usually, and then you end up 'training' yourself to press earlier than normal. it does put you at a disadvantage put it's still playable for most ppl and definitely the casual gamer like myself.

generally speaking, lag goes up with the model numbers. higher end units have better pictures due to more processing. processing causes lag. also DLP's tend to be faster and have less input lag. the best gaming projectors are those entry level DLP's like the benq 1070, it's under 20ms. but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good value for any projectors with great movie picture quality and super fast for gaming input lag. the serious gamer is advised to split their budget and go for a dual projector set up. ie, grab a 1070 for gaming only and a 5020 for movies/tv only. you could even use the 1070 for better 3D performance if you're into that as well.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #14 of 20 Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 AM

What did you end up getting?

I have the epson 6020 UB. I'm currently playing GTA 5 on it with no problems.
Hope that helps.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-30-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh nothing yet... Do you have sf4 to test? This sat we go to a demo room that carry JVC and Panasonic.. Still trying to find one with Sony and Epson...

Regards,

Sanjay
post #16 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I installed tons of 5020 and 6020 and never one complaint about gaming. But the new models are in now put one in today but have not tried game mode I would go for the XX30 models as they said it has a mode for it which is for games. It is hard to beat Epsons picture bang for buck they are just bright and vivid.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #17 of 20 Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

strange...speaking to Ron, i believe he learned they don't actually have a game mode on their higher end projectors (5030/6030).

I think people turn off some processing options to simulate a game mode but epson doesn't have a true game mode other than very specific projectors frown.gif

after teh demo room, which we leave for soon, will drop by sony store and ask if they are somehow able to demo their projectors.

Epson, still have to figure out. contacted a place that does have epson's setup, but they never called me back frown.gif I've called them twice now.

Sanjay
post #18 of 20 Old 11-02-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had a 5020UB (same as the 6020) in for testing, and found gaming unplayable on it (and the JVC RS45).

People will respond here and say one of two things:

1.) Gaming is excellent on the 6020.

2.) Gaming isn't so great on the 6020.

Some people simply aren't sensitive to input lag. My thoughts are that if you even have to ask about input lag, skip the 6020. But those are just my thoughts. You may not be as sensitive to it as I am. You might be more sensitive. Who can say? smile.gif
post #19 of 20 Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got the 5010 and almost game on it a lot. Mostly World of Warcraft, some battlefield 3 and Borderlands. I really don't notice the lag. I wish I had the panasonic 8000 for other reasons, mostly smoothscreen. My projector/120" screen is my home pc. I also like to sit close to the screen. 7' from my 120" screen. I like the imax effect. smile.gif At this distance the pixel gap is annoying. Panny's smoothscreen I had on my previous 2000 was awesome, you had to about stick your nose on the screen to see the screendoor effect. I also watch a lot of 3D movies, so that 3D motionflow technology on the Panny sounds pretty awesome.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

so we tried SF 4 on a JVC-x55 i think it is. the model # he sent us is different but online, i read it's the same but with a different code and sales channel (46 something i think). we didn't notice issues with SF4.

Black levels were good. Colours seem ok and it wasn't calibrated so could look better. Didn't try 3d though as they had no glasses.

We still want to try out an epson 6030 and a Sony one and maybe the panasonic but can;'t find places that demo those frown.gif

Sanjay
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page