post #61 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

I bet once I watch whichever new projector on the HP screen I might be hooked. I, like you, do like that giant plasma effect as well. I guess from you watching your VW1000 on a HP screen it is especially striking. I was worried the 2.4 HP material wouldn't show 4k as well as smooth material but from your experience that is not the case, huh? I do know with 1080p recently on the HP the picture seems sharper and more detailed. I don't know if that is just because the picture is brighter and that makes detail more easily seen or what.

Mike

I have certainly not detected any flaw in the HP2.4 screen with my Sony1000ES. I visited Mark Haflich several months ago, hoping to see his Stewart SnoMatte screen in direct comparison to a HP screen (that he planned to have temporarily). However Mark is in the process of getting his house ready to sell, so the arrangements for getting the HP screen were not feasible. As noted above, I thought his Stewart screen looked very nice (on a substantially smaller screen than mine), but without seeing them side-by-side I really couldn't say that it was superior to my HP. Again, not everybody will agree with this (though there are plenty of people who will!).

For my own education, though, I would REALLY like to see them side-by-side to see if I can tell any difference. Of course the HP will be so much brighter that it will probably be more impressive, independent of any other attributes. But my HP2.4 is just so creamy smooth that I still have to be convinced that it can be bettered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 222
This is the pattern I'm talking about on the HP 2.4 material:

The old 2.8 material didn't have it. It was almost perfectly smooth with just the glass beads to aid in gain. All of Da-Lite's material these days seem to have this inherent crosshatch pattern to them with the exception to the JKP which is silky smooth and feels like high end leather.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ok, yes, brightness alone makes the HP material so much better to my eyes it may be hard going to something else.

Thanks for all your advice,
Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #64 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I love the HP material too. It really depends on your room and needs. Some material will be better/more transparent but the HP material can defintely be placed in many different applications whereas something like the SnoMatte and JKP materials need almost perfect light conditions to look their best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Yeah, I love the HP material too. It really depends on your room and needs. Some material will be better/more transparent but the HP material can defintely be placed in many different applications whereas something like the SnoMatte and JKP materials need almost perfect light conditions to look their best.

Yeah, they both have their positives so it might be a tough decision. I wouldn't want to get a 4k projector and feel like I was compromising anything with going with the HP material as I would want to get a screen material that displays 4k as best it could but I also want a bright image.

Thanks,
Mike

post #66 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The old 2.8 material didn't have it. It was almost perfectly smooth with just the glass beads to aid in gain. All of Da-Lite's material these days seem to have this inherent crosshatch pattern to them with the exception to the JKP which is silky smooth and feels like high end leather.

This is quite bizarre. On my HP2.4, with a white field, I see only a creamy smooth white field, even from 1 ft away from the screen.

Your pic reminds me of pixel structure of the projector. What projector do you have?
post #67 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

This is quite bizarre. On my HP2.4, with a white field, I see only a creamy smooth white field, even from 1 ft away from the screen.

Your pic reminds me of pixel structure of the projector. What projector do you have?

There is no image being displayed on the material in that picture. The bit of junk on it in the picture was to help my camera auto focus on the material better. But right now I own a few projectors; Planar PD8150, Marantz VP15S1, BenQ W20000 and a Optoma HD25 for 3D use. While I own a 2.8 and 2.4 HP screen when I requested a JKP 1.1 sample I was sent a Da-Lite screen sample for each material that they offer. This is a picture of the 2.4 material sample which is the same as my full size screen. The 2,8 is VERY smooth and doesn't have this pattern. If you go up to your screen and it doesn't look like that then you probably have a 2.8 HP or they've changed the HP material within the last 2-3 years. All of the samples I received had that base pattern ( i call it a crosshatch) like that with the exception of the JKP. Some had a grey base, some had sparkles (like the StudioTek 130) and some were silver but looked like that.

post #68 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is no image being displayed on the material in that picture. But right now I own a few projectors; Planar PD8150, Marantz VP15S1, BenQ W20000 and a Optoma HD25 for 3D use. While I own a 2.8 and 2.4 HP screen when I requested a JKP 1.1 sample I was sent a Da-Lite screen sample for each material that they offer. This is a picture of the 2.4 material sample which is the same as my full size screen. The 2,8 is VERY smooth and doesn't have this pattern. If you go up to your screen and it doesn't look like that then you probably have a 2.8 HP or they've changed the HP material within the last 2-3 years. All of the samples I received had that base pattern ( i call it a crosshatch) like that with the exception of the JKP. Some had a grey base, some had sparkles (like the StudioTek 130) and some were silver but looked like that.

Your pic does look like a typical dlp pic, where the pixel structure can be seen close up (or with a large screen). The 4K lcos Sony does not show this.
post #69 of 101 Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I recently got a HP sample from Da-Lite and it had no visible texture - nothing like in the image above.

post #70 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The HP screen I have as visible texture, its not smooth at all. On bright screens I can always see sheen and texture. But with the JVCs when the iris is clamped down, I never really see the texture in bright screen. It was with bright DLPs. It never really bothered me, but it isn't a smooth material. I thought it was because it wasn't a fixed frame that stretches the material, I have an electric screen
post #71 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Your pic does look like a typical dlp pic, where the pixel structure can be seen close up (or with a large screen). The 4K lcos Sony does not show this.

Like I said, there is no picture being displayed in that image. That is the material only.

post #72 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post

I recently got a HP sample from Da-Lite and it had no visible texture - nothing like in the image above.

Take another look. The samples I received were direct from Da-Lite about 6 months ago. The only samples that weren't like that were the JKP sample materials. Like I said earlier, my actual 2.4 HP screen is like this but the older 2.8 material is very smooth without that crosshatch pattern. The HP sample you received may be the older 2.8 gain. If you guys check out the Screens subforum there are many topics discussing this, I'm not just making this up.

post #73 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

There is no image being displayed on the material in that picture. The bit of junk on it in the picture was to help my camera auto focus on the material better. But right now I own a few projectors; Planar PD8150, Marantz VP15S1, BenQ W20000 and a Optoma HD25 for 3D use. While I own a 2.8 and 2.4 HP screen when I requested a JKP 1.1 sample I was sent a Da-Lite screen sample for each material that they offer. This is a picture of the 2.4 material sample which is the same as my full size screen. The 2,8 is VERY smooth and doesn't have this pattern. If you go up to your screen and it doesn't look like that then you probably have a 2.8 HP or they've changed the HP material within the last 2-3 years. All of the samples I received had that base pattern ( i call it a crosshatch) like that with the exception of the JKP. Some had a grey base, some had sparkles (like the StudioTek 130) and some were silver but looked like that.

Seegs is correct. The 2.4 gain HP screens have this cross hatched pattern on them. The old 2.8 gain was a smoother material and does not show this pattern.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #74 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

What do you think if this screen, I thinking of getting it to watch 3D on it. But it is not awailable in Norway so I have to import it from USA and would really like to hear about it before I buy it.

Regards
Andreas

post #75 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The pattern is hard to see at normal seating distances but is sometimes detectable with solid color backgrounds or during a particularly bright scene. It's nothing atrocious and for the most part not visible. My posts aren't to deter people from using the HP screen as I have a 2.4 and love it. It's a great screen/material that adds a lot of perceived brightness and helps if your room/setup is less than ideal with ambient light and reflections. My posts were simply to point out that the JKP material will definitely be more "transparent" to the source because it's perfectly smooth, has no sparkles or other screen coatings that will negatively effect the picture like the HP material.

post #76 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Will it work good with 3D material in a batcave?

Regards
Andreas

post #77 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Which material? Both look great, but the JKP will look a little more natural and transparent, but less bright. The JKP needs a batcave room with dark treated surfaces to look it's best.

post #78 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

I am thinking of the HP 2.4 just for 3D as I use a dnp Supernova for 2D, but it is to dim for 3D with 0.8 gain.

Regards
Andreas

post #79 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

What screen size do you need? Personally, if I had the 1000ES I wouldn't want anything to hold back image quality so I would pair it with a JKP or the Stewart SnoMatte material like Mark has, even if that meant I had to go to a smaller screen size.

If and when I get a 1000ES I plan to pair it with a 10' wide JKP 1.1 screen.

post #80 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

The dnp is a reference screen and I use it for 2D, I used a 1.0 matte screen before and the dnp is to me a better screen. But to me both the 1.0 matte screen and the dnp is to dim for 3D, not that I watch much 3D, but i think if it was alot brighter I would see more of it. I have 128" 2.35:1 dnp and will never go smaller in my HT and will have the same size for 3D.

Regards
Andreas

post #81 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

If you aren't in a rush to purchase anything I'd wait and buy a used 2.8 HP as it's a definite step up over the newer 2.4 HP screen Da-Lite is currently selling. They go on sale pretty often here in the forums. Though shipping to Norway might be a problem.

post #82 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I am not in a rush as I am no big 3D fan. Why did they discontinue the 2.8 if it is far superior to the 2.4??

Regards
Andreas

post #83 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Seegs is correct. The 2.4 gain HP screens have this cross hatched pattern on them. The old 2.8 gain was a smoother material and does not show this pattern.

Well, this is weird. For the life of me, I cannot see this cross hatch structure; must be my 72 yr old eyes. Just as well, I suppose.

I had a smaller HP2.8 screen that I sold (because I wanted a larger screen), and to me the new HP2.4 looked to give a smoother pic than the older one (even though I thought the 2.8 was excellent). These things are just so damn good that it's hard (for me) to differentiate between them. (Though I did try out a GrayWolf early on, and even I could tell how poor it is!)
post #84 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 317
The last 2.4 I installed about year ago looked like Dylan's image, a slight ridged texture vs. very smooth on the 2.8HP.

Airscape's closeup shows the bead pattern. The 2.8 has beads that are more consistent in size and spacing. Notice the beads on the 2.4 are different sizes with various gaps between one another.

HP-compare.jpg

it's a shame they stopped making the 2.8, you can get closer to 3.0 gain with the projector near eye level. it's a great match for today's 3D projectors.

I bought one the last 2.8's Dalite made back in 2010. I was told by Dalite's VP of marketing that they had trouble sourcing the materials necessary to make the 2.8 and that the 2.4 was more cost efficient to make. Not sure how true it is, but sounds plausible.

post #85 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I note that the HP2.4, though still of a relatively narrow viewing cone, is somewhat wider than that of the HP2.8 (and not nearly so narrow at the HPHC2.4); see attached figure HPscreens.png 78k .png file I got samples of the HP2.4 and HPHC2.4 when deciding on my new screen, and saw the the HPHC viewing cone gave noticeably darker corners of my very large screen. So it was the HP2.4 for me.
Attached Images
File Type: png HPscreens.png (77.5 KB, 8 views)
post #86 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Take another look. The samples I received were direct from Da-Lite about 6 months ago. The only samples that weren't like that were the JKP sample materials. Like I said earlier, my actual 2.4 HP screen is like this but the older 2.8 material is very smooth without that crosshatch pattern. The HP sample you received may be the older 2.8 gain. If you guys check out the Screens subforum there are many topics discussing this, I'm not just making this up.
I don't have it in front of me, so I'll take a closer look to be sure. I was comparing it to the older HP screen we have in the office. I wasn't expecting a different material, and I was surprised to see that the sample had a much finer texture and eliminated the minor sparkles that the older HP screen had.

post #87 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I got a few sparkles from the older 2.8 screen I had and the viewing cone was less on it as well but it was also a lot brighter than the 2.4 material.

Mike

post #88 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Its sparklies. smile.gif

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #89 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Its sparklies. smile.gif

Whatever; they ain't on the HP2.4.
post #90 of 101 Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 442
The screen material is too often visable when watching to get distracted by an occasional sparklie I suppose anyway. smile.gif

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax200u 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - Ax200u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page