List of upcoming 4k projectors.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I'd like to know about what 4k projectors are out and are coming soon. I'm sure there isn't that many at this point in time, but I don't keep up with projectors very closely, so I just don't know what's on the horizon at the moment. I know about the Sony VW1000ES and VW500ES, but are any other manufacturers going to come out with any 4k projectors soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 582
If we can limit this to non commercial theater machines which are say at least twice the cost of the Sony 1000ES and if we can eliminate faux 4K machines which flash only 1080p images that overlap and appear to your brain to look like 4K (the JVC e-shift machines which look very good BTW but aren't true 4K machines), nothing imminent has been announced. Perhaps on Thursday at Cedia some other manufacturer might announce and show something. Red Digital has been showing a 4K laser machine for several years but seems to have great difficulty in producing and shipping anything except very fine digital movie cameras. They have been promising an inexspensive (under $10K) laser powered 4K projector for years and years and years. Red does have many loyal fans who walk around seemingly looking drugged and chanting Only Red. Only Red. Only Red can do it.

I am sure there will be some large commercial 4K machines on display to show 4K products.
shadyJ likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I'd like to know about what 4k projectors are out and are coming soon. I'm sure there isn't that many at this point in time, but I don't keep up with projectors very closely, so I just don't know what's on the horizon at the moment. I know about the Sony VW1000ES and VW500ES, but are any other manufacturers going to come out with any 4k projectors soon?

Right now, it looks like Sony is the only game in town.
shadyJ likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Right now, it looks like Sony is the only game in town.

... and Ihope for new affordable Sony 1100 to be announced at Cedia
post #5 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Hmm, that's a shame. I am just asking out of curiosity anyway, I won't be able to afford anything like those Sonys for a very long time. Thanks for the replies guys.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifo View Post

... and Ihope for new affordable Sony 1100 to be announced at Cedia

If by affordable you mean $25000 MSRP like the 1000ES was. The rumored 1100ES is just an upgraded 1000ES and seeing how Sony has zero competition they could probably sell it at this price and people will buy it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #7 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

If by affordable you mean $25000 MSRP like the 1000ES was. The rumored 1100ES is just an upgraded 1000ES and seeing how Sony has zero competition they could probably sell it at this price and people will buy it.

do you think it will have just hdmi 2.0 or other feautures present in 500 as well like autocorrection, new motion flaw etc?
post #8 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My guess is the price will be slightly higher to equalize the MSRP of the 1000ES ($25,000) and the added cost of the upgrade $2500.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #9 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Instead of guessing, we will know all in about 6 days when Cedia opens.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #10 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifo View Post

do you think it will have just hdmi 2.0 or other feautures present in 500 as well like autocorrection, new motion flaw etc?

Autocorrection will probarbly not be included as the VW1000 has no CMS and according to the Sony rep behind the VW1000 it will never get a CMS. But we can always hope, but then they have to mout the sensor inside the VW1000 lightpath somewhere. I think and hope the upgrade will include all the other features the VW500 and the VW1100 will have like new motionflow, RC and mastered in 4K feature.

Looking forward to Cedia.smile.gif

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #11 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 AM

of course Looking forward to Cedia;)
post #12 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Seems like RED has canceled their booth at Cedia. Can't find them at the floorplan anymore.

Which means no news about a projector, or for that matter Odemax/Redray movie distribution system (unless they will be part of someones else booth).
post #13 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Seems like RED has canceled their booth at Cedia. Can't find them at the floorplan anymore.

Which means no news about a projector, or for that matter Odemax/Redray movie distribution system (unless they will be part of someones else booth).

Not surprised by this. Not that I was expecting it, just not surprised.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #14 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They still have not shipped any Redrays other than their initial Beta run. Reportedly they still have months of programming to go on it to do such things as fast forwarding. The order price is $1750 and they only sell direct. Why would they exhibit at a dealer show? Odemax is useless until the Redrays start shipping. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the major companies having a Redray feed a panel of theirs. It could be just on a loop. They haven't released their program needed for source suppliers to covert a source file so it can be loaded on a Redray or transmitted over the internet to a Redray. Odemax must be crying about the non delivery by Red. Now 10 months delayed.

To reds credit, they have announced a policy of no longer promoting products until they are ready for delivery.

I believe they were forced into doing this by angry consumers tired of having their chains jerked by promised imminent delivery.

Their new camera, the dragon, which is reportedly a super camera, was not ready at NAB. there were substantial problems but they already had the booth. Yada Yada. it is now starting to ship. the projector has been delayed for years and the intent to have a laser powered consumer HT 4K projector has been long unfulfilled. They have since stated a commercial theater machine will come first with no promises of a price they can't keep. The situation with the Redray has been discussed above.

Since the Redray isn't ready and a consumer laser powered 4K machine still in engineering, they had nothing to show at Cedia that wouldn't be promoting a not yet ready product.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #15 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Optoma also seems to be a no-show.
post #16 of 22 Old 09-20-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I seem to remember something about Optoma being off site. It is very expensive to show on site and a much better facility for a lot less can be had off site. All they do is invite dealers and the press.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #17 of 22 Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I dont think you'll see the 4k market blossom until a REAL effort is made to actually offer 4k media...great to have a 4k projector thats upscaling 1080p media but in the end its still a 1080p image slightly sharpened nothing like a true 4k image. Basically like buying a Corvette and not having rims and wheels for it or like putting bike tires on it...just not really useful.... I could be 100% wrong but I see no value to owning a 4k projector unless I can download or go to the store and buy a 4k DVD. I'm thinking it'll catch on within the next 5 years because some TV's are slowly getting out there..I saw a 55inch at SAMS club for $5499
post #18 of 22 Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
I dont think you'll see the 4k market blossom until a REAL effort is made to actually offer 4k media...great to have a 4k projector thats upscaling 1080p media but in the end its still a 1080p image slightly sharpened nothing like a true 4k image. Basically like buying a Corvette and not having rims and wheels for it or like putting bike tires on it...just not really useful.... I could be 100% wrong but I see no value to owning a 4k projector unless I can download or go to the store and buy a 4k DVD. I'm thinking it'll catch on within the next 5 years because some TV's are slowly getting out there..I saw a 55inch at SAMS club for $5499

Everything else being equal, I could use 4K resolution now, even with only Blu Ray / HDTV, to either sit closer to the screen, or use a bigger / wider screen. So I would find 4K useful, but that's just me.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #19 of 22 Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post

Isn't it more like buying a corvette and only driving it on public roads with speed limits where you cant take real advantage of its performance. wink.gif

I'm sure it's still nicer to drive a corvette than a Honda civic, but likewise I bet the VW1100 will kick 1080p butt also with 2k material even if you cant take full advantage of its capability.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Everything else being equal, I could use 4K resolution now, even with only Blu Ray / HDTV, to either sit closer to the screen, or use a bigger / wider screen. So I would find 4K useful, but that's just me.

I'll trade you my X55R for your Lumis. With e-shift enabled you can sit at close as you want or go with a larger screen. tongue.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #21 of 22 Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

that's a shame. I am just asking out of curiosity anyway, I won't be able to afford anything like those Sonys for a very long time. Thanks for the replies guys.

pNEg

post #22 of 22 Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I'll trade you my X55R for your Lumis. With e-shift enabled you can sit at close as you want or go with a larger screen.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll wait for 4K DLP ! wink.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page