Want JVC RS40, have Epson 8700UB, it is a good upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can have a JVC-RS40 for 1500 $ with glasses and the lamp has 500 hour, i already have a epson 8700UB that I like very much...

What do you think, does it worth the change? Can sell my epson 1200 $ to a friend... so the RS-40 will cost 300 $.....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192

Since no one else has given their two cents I will... if you are happy with the Epson I can't see swapping with the RS40's track record and less than stellar 3D. Now if I could demo it and decide then perhaps... other wise unless I was simply looking for a change I'd pass. This from someone who hasn't demoed a Epson I could live with and currently has a RS45.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Do you know if the lamp on the RS40 is the 003 version with the metal flapper? I have a RS40 and I have seen a friend's 8700UB, the RS40 does have a better black level and better native contrast than the 8700UB. I can't see 3D but I have heard that the 3D is not that good on the RS40 but for 2D it puts out a very good image. So, it will be an improvement but how much might depend on the convergence and what version lamp you are getting(don't accept anything but version 003).

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #4 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 242
That's a great price. As far as 3D goes, it starts off pretty solid but gets progressively worse as the lamp ages. Unless you plan on doing quite a bit of 3D viewing or hate seeing any ghosting most would be generally happy with it's 3D performance. If you plan on watching a 3D movie a few times a year I really wouldn't worry about all the hubbub and criticisms about 3D performance on non-DLP projectors as, like I said, occasionally viewing will still yield more than acceptable results. If you're that concerned you can pick up a cheap $900 1080p (or cheaper 720p unit) for 3D usage.

The original lamps do dim fairly quickly so if you decide to buy a new one make sure it the revision 003 lamp as the brightness will not dim anywhere near as fast as revision 001 and 002 lamps for this projector. I think you'll love the performance of the RS40 over the Epson. The native contrast ratio of these units can be addicting and should look great overall over an LCD based unit like your Epson.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've had both. The RS40 is in another league.
Much brighter in best mode and better contrast.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs40u , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page