Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Missed that. Oops.

I'm just messing with ya WSE, no harm intended.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The comments I've heard on the CUBE are that it makes a fairly bright, detailed, and punchy picture -- equal to, if not better than, other projectors in its price range. We'll see what the reviewers have to say. But according to a local dealer/integrator I know who complains of having to deal frequently with fussy interior designers, where the CUBE departs most from the norm is in its physical appearance. Rather than being housed in the typical boxy plastic case that needs another enclosure to hide it from view, the CUBE's unique monolithic shape and glass enclosure give it a solid luxurious look that could double as Objet d'art. The Italians have a special gift for style.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #33 of 51 Old 02-18-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Been using one in the store for about a month, very impressed with it TBH.

its very balanced in color once calibrated, it is bright for a DLP at this price but remains in control with the correct balance of color, black and white is amazing also.

processing speed is fantastic at this price point - definitely our number 1 DLP under 10k

anyone in the sydney area who wants to arrange a demo feel free to PM me 

regards

Jamie

post #34 of 51 Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimechj View Post
<p>Been using one in the store for about a month, very impressed with it TBH.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>its very balanced in color once calibrated, it is bright for a DLP at this price but remains in control with the correct balance of color, black and white is amazing also.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>processing speed is fantastic at this price point - definitely our number 1 DLP under 10k</p>
<p> </p>
<p>anyone in the sydney area who wants to arrange a demo feel free to PM me </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>regards</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Jamie</p>
I'm really considering a Crystal Cube vs the JVC DLA x500R but I can't find any reviews on the Crystal Cube... If it's so great why aren't there any formal reviews??????
post #35 of 51 Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 AM

Hi,
not sure mate, who knows why they review what they review...too much cred is on reviews these day i think and not enough on well trained staff !
post #36 of 51 Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Hi,
not sure mate, who knows why they review what they review...too much cred is on reviews these day i think and not enough on well trained staff !
Dimechj,

Thanks for the reply... I agree with you! I am looking for any sort of actual experience with the Crystal Cube. You are one of the only people online who has any subjective experience with it so far and I would love to hear your thoughts. Would you recommend it over the JVC DLA X500R? I saw a Crystal Cube this week but thought the contrast was a little weak with the blacks not being real black. Once you calibrated it do you think it would out perform the JVC? I plan on using it with a 130" 16:9 Stewart screen vs the JVC with a 130" 2.35:1 Black Diamond...

Thanks in advance,

Jason
post #37 of 51 Old 06-18-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 157
There's no way it will outperform a JVC in contrast, it's a DLP and DLP is just not capable of that feat. If you're looking for a DLP I'd go with something like a Runco LS5, or maybe snag one of the LED machines, DPI Cine 1000, Runco Q750i, etc, those are well known to be top performing DLPs in their class.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #38 of 51 Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustanino View Post
Dimechj,

Thanks for the reply... I agree with you! I am looking for any sort of actual experience with the Crystal Cube. You are one of the only people online who has any subjective experience with it so far and I would love to hear your thoughts. Would you recommend it over the JVC DLA X500R? I saw a Crystal Cube this week but thought the contrast was a little weak with the blacks not being real black. Once you calibrated it do you think it would out perform the JVC? I plan on using it with a 130" 16:9 Stewart screen vs the JVC with a 130" 2.35:1 Black Diamond...

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Hi Jason,

im gathering you are not using the 2.35:1 on cube becasue of the custom lens mounting solutions or is there another reason ?

just curios..

personally either way i am not a JVC fan, reliabilty for me has been an issue for us, also i think if you are going to go DILA you may as well visit the Sony range 55ES and above depending on your spend there SXRD is same tech as DILA but i personally feel these are better value for the money and reliability has been 98% for nearly 12 months of sales.
post #39 of 51 Old 06-19-2014, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was going with the 16:9 because I didn't want to use an anamorphic lens with the Crystal Cube. Black Diamond motorized doesn't make a 16:9 screen larger than 110" and the JVC has lens memory that can do 2.35:1. I figured with the lower light output of the JVC, I needed a Black Diamond screen to make the image pop.

I think I'm going back to demo the Crystal Cube this weekend. The only down side it I've never seen the JVC in action so it's hard to tell...
post #40 of 51 Old 06-19-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I was going with the 16:9 because I didn't want to use an anamorphic lens with the Crystal Cube. Black Diamond motorized doesn't make a 16:9 screen larger than 110" and the JVC has lens memory that can do 2.35:1. I figured with the lower light output of the JVC, I needed a Black Diamond screen to make the image pop.

I think I'm going back to demo the Crystal Cube this weekend. The only down side it I've never seen the JVC in action so it's hard to tell...
Ok perhaps a few pointers may help you out.

firstly you cannot get a true 2.35:1 image without a lens - lens memory may work to keep the aspect ratio ok but it does so with zoom affect this is by far accurate in terms of reproduction, and more importantly the projector is using a certain amount of its processing actually shooting the black bars ! if you use an actual lens then there is no zoom affect and all of the projectors energy is dedicated to the actual presentation.

second.

If you are using a dedicated theater i would choose DLP over any other type of projector as they produce the best blacks and whites in a dark room environment, some may disagree but there are reasons why only the best projectors in the world are DLP and not LCD this opinion comes from 8 years experience looking at projectors every day of the week.

If you are not in a dedicated room or you are using the projector as a media projector for many different purposes with low ambient light etc than LCD can work quite while as contrast may help you out here although it usually means a loss in accurate color gammit

you can use a crystal with a 2.35:1 lens we usally make a custom lens mount thats all.

as far as screens go thats a whole different story and i would really need to speak to you at length about your setup further, if you would like to call me and have a chat i would be happy to advise you further.
good luck with it all
post #41 of 51 Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
If you are using a dedicated theater i would choose DLP over any other type of projector as they produce the best blacks and whites in a dark room environment, some may disagree but there are reasons why only the best projectors in the world are DLP and not LCD this opinion comes from 8 years experience looking at projectors every day of the week.
As much as I love my DLP, this is just not even close to true anymore. DLP is far, far behind what Sony and JVC can do in terms of contrast/black level. The only really competitive DLPs (contrast/black level wise) are the really expensive ones, ie the Sim2 Lumis. It's also not accurate to lump SXRD (Sony) and DiLA (JVC) in with LCD, while they are liquid crystal technologies, they are definitely not the same as LCD (Epson, Panasonic, etc).

As for the Cube, the specs just don't look good. I mean Sim2 is good, but at the price of the Cube, things just don't add up. They rate it at 2500 Lumens, but at that price that's just not going to end well, that's the sort of specage you get with a BenQ W6000, or W7000. Sim2 makes some great stuff, but their "inexpensive" ones just aren't known for being anything special, rather the contrary, quite mediocre for the price.

Like I said, if you want a DLP, look at something like the Runco LS5, Q750i, or a DPI Cine 1000, etc. The LS5 is really still the top of the heap of the sub $10k DLPs. But frankly, unless you've got a specific reason not to go with a JVC (like lag for gaming) I find it hard to recommend anything else for HT these days, they are an incredible value, and among the brightest HT projectors available once calibrated (don't believe the 2500 Lumen BS from HT projectors under $20k, it just doesn't happen unless you don't care if the picture is remotely accurate).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #42 of 51 Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. The room will be untreated but the screen will be used mostly at night and the plasma during the day, so daylight viewing isn't a concern, just the untreated room.

This is really helpful stuff but with the lens memory is there distortion due to zoom effect and isn't the back bars still being processed using a anamorphic lens?

Thanks much!
post #43 of 51 Old 06-19-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Zoom memory essentially allows you to watch two different 16x9 images...one larger than the other. The larger 16x9 image would be set up such that the 2.35 picture fills a 2.35 frame. The smaller 16x9 image would be sized such that the image height would fit inside of the 2.35 frame and you would mask off the bars on either side...or ignore them if you don't want to invest in a masking screen.

As for the Crystal CUBE, I've seen it in action and it is quite watchable...good brightness and detail...decent contrast, though blacks are not as black as they are on LCOS/DILA. Rather than compensating for the brightness deficiencies of the JVC by using a Black Diamond, I'd consider compensating for the slight black-level deficiency of the CUBE by using a unity gain grey screen. The BD screens are known to suffer from color shift and other irritating artifacts. They're fine for ambient light situations, boardrooms, etc., but not the best choice for a home theater.
post #44 of 51 Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Zoom memory essentially allows you to watch two different 16x9 images...one larger than the other. The larger 16x9 image would be set up such that the 2.35 picture fills a 2.35 frame. The smaller 16x9 image would be sized such that the image height would fit inside of the 2.35 frame and you would mask off the bars on either side...or ignore them if you don't want to invest in a masking screen.

As for the Crystal CUBE, I've seen it in action and it is quite watchable...good brightness and detail...decent contrast, though blacks are not as black as they are on LCOS/DILA. Rather than compensating for the brightness deficiencies of the JVC by using a Black Diamond, I'd consider compensating for the slight black-level deficiency of the CUBE by using a unity gain grey screen. The BD screens are known to suffer from color shift and other irritating artifacts. They're fine for ambient light situations, boardrooms, etc., but not the best choice for a home theater.
Be careful about your claims. This years JVC's get 1200 CALIBRATED lumens and still achieve a measured native contrast ratio of ~30000:1 at that brightness level and 350000:1 dynamic. That's a lot of calibrated brightness and a heck of a lot more than almost every other sub $10000 home theater projector.

I still consider myself an advocate for DLP, but I just have a hard time believing this machine will put out PQ anywhere close to a JVC. Judging from it's throw ratio this is using the smaller .65" DMD which means it's going to take a hit on native contrast and it makes it harder to achieve the same kind of image sharpness normally seen with the larger .95" DMD. The MSRP of $4995 means they didn't go head over heels with the lens and is another reason this probably isn't going to give us that "wow" regarding sharpness we normally get with a 95" DMD + decent optics. I would make a wager the Runco LS-1 $3999 MSRP is going to have a sharper image with better contrast (native and dynamic) due in part because it has an amazing lens for the price and it uses a .95" DMD. So unless you NEED the brightness the Cube offers there's no reason to look at this particular model. There are far better options in terms of overall PQ in this price range in my opinion.
post #45 of 51 Old 06-20-2014, 04:45 PM

Thank you for the advice. I decided on the JVC with a Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 screen or Black Diamond 1.4. The walls and ceiling are white but its a big room, 18' wide, 24' deep and 9ft ceilings. It is mainly for night time viewing with lights off. Do you think picture quality will be better with the Studiotek 130 G3 or Black Diamond???

Thanks!

Last edited by Bustanino; 06-21-2014 at 06:26 PM.
post #46 of 51 Old 06-21-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 969
I disagree a bit with all the concerns about using lens memory/zoom for 2.35:1

technically it's 'perfect' reproduction of the source using that method. it's the only way you get a 1:1 pixel image. if the projector has good blacks, and is bright enough, zooming to give a '2.35:1' image is totally fine. using a lens upscales the image SLIGHTLY, but then again, the jvc eshift upscales the image to 'uhd'...

black diamond screens are used more for rooms with high ambient light, not for projectors with low brightness. for low brightness, in a light controlled room, you'd want a high gain screen. but I don't think the jvc qualifies are low brightness unless you're wanting an insanely bright image, or shooting 140"+

DLP still seems to have the best ansi contrast, but LCOS definitely has better blacks and on/off contrast. personally, I find the ansi contrast on my x35 to be great, and the on/off contrast is what really steals the show. when the scene gets dark, the image and entire room get scary dark. fades to black are impressive, especially if it's from a bright scene. basically, if the weak point of LCOS is it's contrast with mixed scenes, then it's got no weak points. the jvc though, does have issues with motion resolution. long medium paced screen pans are death on this projector
post #47 of 51 Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I decided on the JVC with a Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 screen or Black Diamond 1.4. The walls and ceiling are white but its a big room, 18' wide, 24' deep and 9ft ceilings. It is mainly for night time viewing with lights off. Do you think picture quality will be better with the Studiotek 130 G3 or Black Diamond???

Thanks!
you probably want to go with a basic 1.0 gain white. I could see a benefit to getting a high gain screen to help focus the light back towards the viewers, and not towards your ceiling/walls, but I find screen texture a lot more distracting than a small lose in ansi contrast. the dark scenes will still look amazing, since there's hardly any light to bounce around in your room anyway. so the impressive on/off contrast will be pretty much the same.

I would not recommend the black diamond unless you intend to do a lot of lights on viewing
post #48 of 51 Old 06-23-2014, 02:01 AM

Fierce-gt,

Thanks for the help. I think you're right, no black diamond. I'm set on Stewart studiotek 130 G3 or ultramatte 150 at 130" diagonal in 2.35:1. I know you said 1.0 gain but the studiotek 130 seems to be the reference standard. Do you think the JVC x500R is bright enough for a screen that size?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bustanino; 06-23-2014 at 02:11 AM.
post #49 of 51 Old 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Fierce-gt,

Thanks for the help. I think you're right, no black diamond. I'm set on Stewart studiotek 130 G3 or ultramatte 150 at 130" diagonal in 2.35:1. I know you said 1.0 gain but the studiotek 130 seems to be the reference standard. Do you think the JVC x500R is bright enough for a screen that size?

Thanks in advance!
i only suggested the 1.0 gain because it's a 'neutral' place to start. nothing wrong with the 130 at all.

i have an x35, which i think is the same lumen output? anyway, I've got it showing on a 120" diagonal 1.0 gain screen with the iris fully closed and find the picture very pleasing to watch. i'm quite positive that I would be happy with the brightness, but it's hard to know what others think is acceptable. i'm the kind of guy that turns the backlight down to 20%-30% on an LED because it's painfully bright from the factory...
post #50 of 51 Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the help!!! I just called Stewart and requested samples of the Studotek 130 and Ultramatte 150
post #51 of 51 Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

Thanks!

I own a StudioTek 130 G3, and I would recommend that over a Black Diamond screen. Can you paint the room pastel greys / browns / anything but white? And hang a few decorative dark drapes !

Give me a call or an email for a screen quote. If Stewart won't send you samples, we at AV Science can send them to you, just FYI.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page