Snap toggles to mount ceiling projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-26-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to mount my projector on the ceiling. There are no studs in a convenient place to mount on to, and placement is critical with my setup. With how my apartment is designed, the projector would be mounted at the end of a short hallway near the wall (thankfully the fans are on the right side of the projector). I believe it's about >6 inches from the wall where I would initially need to mount from the ceiling.

The projector and mount weigh 19lbs. I know snap-toggles are a cheap alternative to mounting from the ceiling, but I have no access above the ceiling, and since I rent my apartment I need to make minimal damage. The unit would probably only be mounted for about 12 months at this location. The apartment is about 3 years old.

Thoughts? Would the proximity to the wall add any form of support? Productive input is welcomed so I can weigh out my options. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
You would be fine. I have a 65lb manual screen attached to the wall with 2 toggler, all-thread and some nuts and washers. My wall is 3/4 Rock Lath form 1952 so a bit more heavy duty than current construction but I would not think twice about doing what you suggest. Just verify the weight limits on the toggles when put into a ceiling as it is different than into a wall.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-26-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Vertical forces with drywall are completely different than horizontal sheering forces. With it only being 19 pounds, I'm not sure it is a huge worry, but you do want to consider that the screws holding in whatever drywall is there are not structural in any manner.

While you can ask whoever you want, there is no guarantee here that it will perform without an issue, and the issue will be yours to deal with, not ours.

I think I would paint a piece of wood white and bridge the area between two studs, then mount the projector to that piece of wood to ensure that whatever pricey projector I own is properly secured and won't fall down under any circumstances.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If it is so close to the wall, why not mount a shelf or variable swing-arm on the wall. I've seen some, like those used on monitors, that would let you mount it to a stud, position the projector where needed and lock the arms. I don't have any links, because I saw them "in passing"

Glen
My Home Theater
Whatever is not nailed down, is mine.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!

post #5 of 19 Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Graham View Post

If it is so close to the wall, why not mount a shelf or variable swing-arm on the wall. I've seen some, like those used on monitors, that would let you mount it to a stud, position the projector where needed and lock the arms. I don't have any links, because I saw them "in passing"

I thought about this the other day. I put up a freestanding shelving unit to see the projected image. Rightside-up the image requires some keystoning from ceiling height (which i'd like to avoid). Upside down in "ceiling mode" the image requires no keystoning when the vertical lens shift is adjusted properly.

I will look into putting up a board to support the weight. A tech who installs home theaters told me snap toggles would work, but in most cases I like hearing several opinions. smile.gif
post #6 of 19 Old 09-26-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

They have wall mountes that allow the projector to hang upside down.. like an L bracket with the mount hanging under the upside down L
Just did a google to find an image .. no idea what this mount is but this type would be an options with the wall so close...

http://www.ergoindemand.com/universal-projector-wall-mount.html
post #7 of 19 Old 09-26-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

They have wall mountes that allow the projector to hang upside down.. like an L bracket with the mount hanging under the upside down L
Just did a google to find an image .. no idea what this mount is but this type would be an options with the wall so close...

That mount looks intense! Haha. If I don't have a stud running above through the ceiling then I'm *assuming* there won't be one in the wall space. I definitely have a few things to consider though.

Ultimately, if it does come down to it, toggles are a possibility for a 19lb weight load?
post #8 of 19 Old 09-26-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I think I would paint a piece of wood white and bridge the area between two studs, then mount the projector to that piece of wood to ensure that whatever pricey projector I own is properly secured and won't fall down under any circumstances.
I would either do this or mount to the wall.

I once mounted a PJ on the underneath of an Ikea wall shelf and then secured the wall shelf to a drywall wall with toggle bolts. That was also in an apartment. There are lots of creative solutions.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 506
a good rule of thumb is to never half-ass something that hangs overhead...

there is constantly force pulling it off the ceiling, temporary or not, there's no guarantees it won't fall unless you mount it to something structural. even simply overtightening the screws into drywall can drastically change how much weight it can support.

either mount off the wall, or use a piece of wood to span between joists and mount to that.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I agree with FierceGT. For excellent strength and minimal damage (since you're renting), cut a piece of 3/4" plywood, mount that to studs, then mount the projector to that. I used 2 layers of 3/4" plywood because my pj was ~40 lbs.

post #11 of 19 Old 09-28-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I like that, looks pretty solid, even looks like you could even go mid wall so the projector is nearest dead center to the screen and turn it so the projector is right side up like an extended shelf.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Vertical forces with drywall are completely different than horizontal sheering forces.

Agreed. Never saw a drywall hanger with spec's for horizontal mounting. Spanning two ceiling joist is the only way to go. The joist can be found with a stud finder and/or a pickup tool with a strong magnet. Cover the magnet with tape so it will not markup the ceiling and search for the drywall nails or screws. When found mark the location with a piece of low adhesion tape. With a little practice it will not take long to identify the joist.

Check the scrap bins at Home Depot for a suitable piece of 2 X 8, if none is available have a associate cut one for you. The joist should be 16" on center so I would use a piece at least 18" long.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-28-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Projector mounting at my old location:

post #14 of 19 Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 506
having seen the two examples above, i think there's no reason not to go that route. both look great, and no offense to the owners/installers, but it doesn't look like they had to do anything crafty to make them look good either. a simple router bit is all you need to make it look like it's supposed to be there.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-28-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

A small radius roundover bit was used on the projector side of the piece of wood. There are many types of bits available, some samples below. Several coats of Krylon paint was applied, probably would have taken less if primed but Krylon dries very fast and the wood piece was small.

post #16 of 19 Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Agreed. Never saw a drywall hanger with spec's for horizontal mounting. Spanning two ceiling joist is the only way to go. .

Just for reference these are made to use in ceilings.. Thickness of drywall is the determining factor..
The SNAPTOGGLE anchor is a heavy-duty hollow-
wall anchor for use in walls, ceilings, or floors of
materials such as gypsum board, drywall with a
steel stud, concrete block, tile over drywall, etc

PDF the above is from.
http://www.toggler.com/pdf/toggle.pdf

Not saying don't use something to span the joist but these would work given a solid properly installed ceiling of 5/8 or more thickness
post #17 of 19 Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not saying don't use something to span the joist but these would work given a solid properly installed ceiling of 5/8 or more thickness

Have used various devices to install light fixtures, small plant hangers, figurerens, etc. from a ceiling, but a expensive video projector. Not me!! I have some experience with sheetrock, pretty strong for something that can crumble or break so easily. Score it with you drywalll cutter and snap off your 4' x ?? piece.

I'm not saying using toggle bolts would not work. They may work fine without any problems but I would never recommend their use where the building condition is unknown.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Toggle bolts will leave bigger holes in the drywall to patch when you move out than 4 or 6 wood screws though a plywood mounting board will leave. And not be as secure. The examples shown are a perfect solution, with the least damage to repair.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #19 of 19 Old 09-30-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

a good rule of thumb is to never half-ass something that hangs overhead...

there is constantly force pulling it off the ceiling, temporary or not, there's no guarantees it won't fall unless you mount it to something structural. even simply overtightening the screws into drywall can drastically change how much weight it can support.

either mount off the wall, or use a piece of wood to span between joists and mount to that.

Agreed. Never mount to drywall alone. One, you could get someone hurt or killed if it fell on them and two, projectors are too expensive to take a risk like that. Install blocking on the ceiling and mount the projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page