post #271 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

If you are referring to the 500/600ES it was calibrated at 1350 . I had the HW50ES also rated 1700 lumens and the difference is huge you can really notice it. Seems to be way more lumens than the difference should appear to be.
I have a 120" diagonal 2.35:1 1.37 gain screen plenty bright at 50% brightness. Others may have experience with a larger unity screen and can chime in.

Where did u get the 1350 from? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Roxiedog. So this chip you're talking about will only appear in newer models? There's no way to upgrade correct?

I'm really excited to hear your feedback on the picture quality but it leaves me wondering what next year will hold. In worried that I'm one year out from having a better future "aware" projector, especially at this price point.

I'm so torn. Do I get the hw55 and a great anamorphic screen and a panamorph A - lens, then sell it, keep the screen, and get a 4k projector in 2-3 years when theyre more comprehensive and there is 4k content? Would love some advice from anyone willing to chine in. I have to order "something" next week....

Quote:

As far as I understand you are correct in that it will not stretch 4k or 3D for anamorphic use. Lumagen are suppose to be making a processor that will do both, available some time very soon, January as I understand. . I've heard rumors the PS4 may be able to do the 3D, not absolutely sure though.

I was adamant that the 500/600ES PJ is not worth the investment without 4K, mostly on the feedback and rants through forums all over the internet. Now that I have witnessed the PJ myself I have to say, without a doubt , the image this PJ will display on ANY content blows me away. Like I said, I'm now eating my words, and very , very
glad to say I have to do so . wink.gif
post #273 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post

I'm so torn. Do I get the hw55 and a great anamorphic screen and a panamorph A - lens, then sell it, keep the screen, and get a 4k projector in 2-3 years when theyre more comprehensive and there is 4k content? Would love some advice from anyone willing to chine in. I have to order "something" next week....

There is ALWAYS a reason to wait. A year from now, you will be able to get a 4K projector (probably another Sony) for less than this one. And a year after that it will be even cheaper (and probably have more features). And there may or may not be a reasonable amount of 4K content.

When we are talking about spending this amount of money for a "TV on steroids", it is difficult to use "logic".

I decided I wanted it and as much as I have loved my 3 different JVC projectors pulled the trigger.
hwoarang likes this.

R 8:28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #274 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Thanks Roxiedog. So this chip you're talking about will only appear in newer models? There's no way to upgrade correct?

I'm really excited to hear your feedback on the picture quality but it leaves me wondering what next year will hold. In worried that I'm one year out from having a better future "aware" projector, especially at this price point.

I'm not sure I would buy the Sony based on it's ability to do 4K as who knows what that will look like when it arrives. Resolution is only one part of the equation, there are other things that this Sony may not be able to do such as higher color bit depth, expanded color space, etc that may well be coming with 4K. I would buy it because of it's abilities as a projector - brightness, image quality, black levels, installation flexibility etc.
hwoarang likes this.

. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #275 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

cine4 in Germany did the testing, try a Google search , you will need Googe translate to read as it is written in German.
post #276 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks lads. All great points. I like to try and find. A good balance between where the tech is and what's projected. My main Tvs are the Sony XBR960 and XBR2. Both have stood the test of time and I haven't had to worry about tech until now, and that's only because I want bigger and more cinematic.

So I'm guessing you guys are enjoy it now, worry about the rest later, which is wicked, but what do you plan on doing when 4k is out and you want to go anamorphic, do you just sell and upgrade? It doesn't look as though there are a lot of options....
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

There is ALWAYS a reason to wait. A year from now, you will be able to get a 4K projector (probably another Sony) for less than this one. And a year after that it will be even cheaper (and probably have more features). And there may or may not be a reasonable amount of 4K content.

When we are talking about spending this amount of money for a "TV on steroids", it is difficult to use "logic".

I decided I wanted it and as much as I have loved my 3 different JVC projectors pulled the trigger.

Quote:

I'm not sure I would buy the Sony based on it's ability to do 4K as who knows what that will look like when it arrives. Resolution is only one part of the equation, there are other things that this Sony may not be able to do such as higher color bit depth, expanded color space, etc that may well be coming with 4K. I would buy it because of it's abilities as a projector - brightness, image quality, black levels, installation flexibility etc.
post #277 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:

So when 4k content starts rolling in and youre committed to a 2:35 setup, zooming, is your only option with this projector, correct?

Can anyone comment on the performance of 2:35 and zoom as it seems vertical stretch/ A-lens is not a good long term investment (as it can't do 3d or 4k)?
I am pretty sure the 500/600 can do the vertical stretch in 3D 1080P. It just can't do the stretch in 4K.
hwoarang likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #278 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I actually use a 1.0 gain screen, but I have used a HP that I rarely seen the screen material. You always make negative comments about the HP screen. I know you think your screen is the best and it is the top unity/reference screen, but a HP screen will work better in most setup than your Snomatt.

The vast majority of front projection setups are ceiling mounted.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #279 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

cine4 in Germany did the testing, try a Google search , you will need Googe translate to read as it is written in German.

This review: http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2013/11/16/test-sony-vpl-vw500es-le-futur-de-la-videoprojection-est-la/ got 1,354 in low lamp iris fully open and 1,533 in high lamp, iris fully open.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #280 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks lads. All great points. I like to try and find. A good balance between where the tech is and what's projected. My main Tvs are the Sony XBR960 and XBR2. Both have stood the test of time and I haven't had to worry about tech until now, and that's only because I want bigger and more cinematic.

So I'm guessing you guys are enjoy it now, worry about the rest later, which is wicked, but what do you plan on doing when 4k is out and you want to go anamorphic, do you just sell and upgrade? It doesn't look as though there are a lot of options....

You plan on buying a device that will perform the vertical stretch in 4K. Lumagen has been working on such a device and there is another company that is supposed to be working on a device for this. smile.gif
hwoarang likes this.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #281 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 PM

I see. This is an external unit that adds on but is not currently available? Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You plan on buying a device that will perform the vertical stretch in 4K. Lumagen has been working on such a device and there is another company that is supposed to be working on a device for this. smile.gif
post #282 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Lumagen does not yet have a processor which can accept UHD or 4K sources, process them, and output them. It does have processor that can take 1080 up to 72 or so in and process them asnd output them as most anything including UHD and 4K. When the HDMI 2.0 input at the high 18 speed become available, we can expect a new Lumagen 4K processor and this will be able to stretch the actual UHD or 4K input vertically.
hwoarang likes this.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #283 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

The vast majority of front projection setups are ceiling mounted.

I meant to say work better in more setups than the Snomatt, only because you need a true bat cave and most are not.
post #284 of 3595 Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A reference gain of one is absolutely a bad choice for most set ups. You need a non reflective bat cave and a screen limited to about 8 or 9 ft in width for a projector of the brightness of the Sony 1000ES or you need a lot more lumens.

Mark Haflich

post #285 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

This review: http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2013/11/16/test-sony-vpl-vw500es-le-futur-de-la-videoprojection-est-la/ got 1,354 in low lamp iris fully open and 1,533 in high lamp, iris fully open.

I think thats a typo as he also says 1964 high lamp.....
post #286 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post

Absolutly not, this a the maximum Brigthess value I was able to get with my VW500ES, of course not at D65.
post #287 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

A reference gain of one is absolutely a bad choice for most set ups. You need a non reflective bat cave and a screen limited to about 8 or 9 ft in width for a projector of the brightness of the Sony 1000ES or you need a lot more lumens.

I hope your wrong.

My screen width is 10 feet but am in a "bat cave", and the "quoted" gain is 1.2 (Seymour XD screen material). I was not totally dissatisfied with the brightness my JVC RS55 on a Stewart 1.3 StudioTec and the Sony (600ES) is a lot brighter so, I'm quite sure I will be more than pleased. And yes I recognize that these are not unity gain screens.

I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder !!

post #288 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I hope your wrong.

My screen width is 10 feet but am in a "bat cave", and the "quoted" gain is 1.2 (Seymour XD screen material). I was not totally dissatisfied with the brightness my JVC RS55 on a Stewart 1.3 StudioTec and the Sony (600ES) is a lot brighter so, I'm quite sure I will be more than pleased. And yes I recognize that these are not unity gain screens.

The Center Stage has been measured at 0.98 gain.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #289 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

it would have to be three typos then. Sony listed 1,511 in D65 high lamp. He got 1,533. That does not sound like a typo. The 1,964 would have to be dynamic mode.

Added
What are you feeding 16,800 watts to? What is your sub system?

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #290 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Center Stage has been measured at 0.98 gain.

So what's the measured gain of the StudioTec? And what AT screen is available that has a much higher gain (that doesn't cost more than the projector)?

post #291 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 06:02 AM

Hello.
Kraine in his review of the 500 ( http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2013/11/16/test-sony-vpl-vw500es-le-futur-de-la-videoprojection-est-la/) says that Motion flow will only work with 1080p and not with 4K.
For example: upscaling made by the Oppo 103D
Does someone knows if it will be corrected later with a new firmware.
Thanks.
post #292 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So what's the measured gain of the StudioTec? And what AT screen is available that has a much higher gain (that doesn't cost more than the projector)?

ST130 was measured at 1.27 gain. If you want higher gains and AT, there is only one game in town and that is Stewart.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #293 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperounet View Post

Hello.
Kraine in his review of the 500 ( http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2013/11/16/test-sony-vpl-vw500es-le-futur-de-la-videoprojection-est-la/) says that Motion flow will only work with 1080p and not with 4K.
For example: upscaling made by the Oppo 103D
Does someone knows if it will be corrected later with a new firmware.
Thanks.

I suspect the problem is the same as for vertical stretch in 4K, not enough processing power.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #294 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

a good dealer told me today that he measure in the 2000 center lumen range.
he know everything about how to adjust the pr. with the lens and all other things to have the most lumen out the unit can do at good color.
this new lens in the 500/600 may even drop more than the 30% difference between min. and max. zoom position the vw 1000 have.

as this new optic and the new light System are likely offers a bit more lumen per watt i think the native cr will be a bit lower than the
vw 1000 have and the lumen will be almost about the same as the vw 1000.
post #295 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

So that's about a 120" diagonal 16:9 or a 130" diagonal 2.40 (using A lens).....by my math (could be wrong) that's ~30 fl

What is your target foot lambert measurement?

Thx

Here is my build thread:

---->
<----
post #296 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are you feeding 16,800 watts to? What is your sub system?

Four Seaton SubMersive HP's (9600 watts); 3 Seaton Catalysts 12C's (6000 watts) and 4 Seaton Sparks (1200 watts). I think that adds up to 16,800 watts !

I have become a big fan of active high powered speakers. Great for 2 channel, incredible for home theater!!

post #297 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi , I've got my 500Es , but I find that the crosstalk of the subtitle is very noticeable ! Compare with my last JVC X75 , the X75 produce much less crosstalk on subtitle ! Here is the photo I took from the left len of the 3D glasses , u can see a obvious ghost there , this is almost unwatchable ! Any help ?
post #298 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I hope your wrong.

For a 10ft screen with the XD material, you need 900 lumens to get 16ftL. In a batcave, you really don't need more. The Sony is about double that brightness.
post #299 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

ST130 was measured at 1.27 gain. If you want higher gains and AT, there is only one game in town and that is Stewart.

Which stewart at screen has the highest gain?

post #300 of 3595 Old 11-17-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you rule out a screen just for 3D, the highest gain is 2.8 and that is a screen which retain polarization at the cost of some 2D performance. A good solution if you need passive 3D and decent 2D performance from one screen

In reality, the highest Stewart gain screen is Ultramat 2.0 which when perforate will get you about 1.9 gain, stewart has a new 1.7 gain, a 1.5 gain, a 1.3 gain, 1.1 gain, 1.0 gain, and lower gain gray screens going down to about .6.

Mark Haflich

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page