Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3830 Old 06-18-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ok yes the sony glasses work fine. bought a number of extra batteries on amazon. i now have six pairs. they are relatively comfortable.

next question, thinking of ordering the new sony 4k server before the july 15 date at 499

two questions, how do you control the server, the old one needed a sony tablet.
also i need a 50 foot run on the high speed 1.4 hdmi cable. it seems you can spend a lot of money on it or not that much if you buy the one that has a chip in it that makes it work over long distances. A range of 100 to 1900! Suggestions?
Yes I bought it from someone who needed the cash. extremely happy with it. even my wife says wow. And she never has with the prior two projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3830 Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post
next question, thinking of ordering the new sony 4k server before the july 15 date at 499

two questions, how do you control the server, the old one needed a sony tablet.
also i need a 50 foot run on the high speed 1.4 hdmi cable. it seems you can spend a lot of money on it or not that much if you buy the one that has a chip in it that makes it work over long distances. A range of 100 to 1900! Suggestions?
This doesn't answer your question, but damn! I just bought a VPL-VW600ES/X with the Ethernet-only, seriously limited, not-all-that-impressive FMP-X1 4K media player and now Sony already has a replacement supporting Wi-Fi and Netflix 4K???

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...ternet-Players

Needless to say, I'm not happy.

- Dave

ps. FWIW, my current install uses two Binary B6A-HD-15 cables and works great:

http://www.snapav.com/p-1484-b6a-hd-15.aspx

Last edited by Dave Dugal; 06-18-2014 at 08:48 AM.
post #3213 of 3830 Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dugal View Post
Interesting. Is there a way to deduce compatibility based on features or RF/3D protocol specifications, or can it only be confirmed through trial 'n error?

- Dave
Maybe, if enough information was furnished, but good luck getting all of that. I know they work, because I have used them with my 600.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3214 of 3830 Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The Samsung SSG-5100GB also work with the 600.
I assume this is tested and known good? If so these may be ideal.. they can be found at about 1/3 the cost of the Sony ones.. so tempting.
post #3215 of 3830 Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post
I assume this is tested and known good? If so these may be ideal.. they can be found at about 1/3 the cost of the Sony ones.. so tempting.
See two posts up.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3216 of 3830 Old 06-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi 500/600 owners, it's been a while since my last post

Just want to share that I upgrade my screen to a 138 inch 2.35:1 Da-lite HD Pro 0.9 (JKP)

After couples of days of testing, I found this screen to be really a good match with the Sony. The high brightness of the Sony combine with the texture free JKP screen make the image really look at is best. Pretty happy so far.

I also make myself a big gift and order a Carada CIH masking. I know couple of owner here already use Carada masking so cant wait to try that one... It should be here next week.
post #3217 of 3830 Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 544
In essence, that size in 2.35 is equivalent to a 11 1/2 ft wide i.78 when a 1.78 source frame is zoomed to fill with an image aspect of about 2.35 and slightly above. a little more light can be gained by using the 2.35 aspect on the Sony to use the full chip. If you consult with Joe Kane who basically designed the the material with the aid of a brilliant chemist/material guy he would not recommend using the ,9 gain for that size. He would tell you to use the 1.1 gain instead. Ric. How many ft lamberts are you getting? One can get used to anything of course but I suspect you are getting no more than about 10 ft lamberts. while the material is quite smooth and results in a very sharp non pixel bleeding UHD or 4K image, it is not quite state of the art in brightness uniformity although I think normal viewing would not indicate any variation across the screen

ric. What frame did you select? There is one frame called the Imager or Pro imager that is essential a u tube with the screen material mounting just behind the front edge of the frame. This is the best for adding masking because the distance between the mask and the screen material is tiny and minimizes any casting of shadows which would otherwise occur with a beveled frame.

I quiblle. You have one of the top materials available for a screen and one where you not be aware that you are watching reflections off of a screen surface. You will have an open window effect just as the Stewart Snomat 100 etc does.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3218 of 3830 Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

I did not measure the light output yet but I will do tonight.

I use the lamp in low mode for 16x9 but when the projector is zoom out for the 2.35:1, I use the lamp in high mode. In my bat cave, the light output, to my eyes, are more than good. If I will have to guess, I will say in high lamp I get close to 14-15fl for the 2.35:1 image and of course way more for the zoom in 16x9 image. Anyway, I will check tonight and report back.

I tested the 1.1 gain material but it's not the same invisible, texture free, sparkle free material as the 0.9. I had to make a choice and decide to go for the 0.9.

As for the frame I select the cheaper one the Da-Snap since it will be hidden behind my Carada CIH masking.

Last edited by RickAVManiac; 06-19-2014 at 10:29 AM.
post #3219 of 3830 Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

I use the lamp in low mode for 16x9 but when the projector is zoom out for the 2.35:1, I use the lamp in high mode. In my bat cave, the light output, to my eyes, are more than good. If I will have to guess, I will say in high lamp I get close to 14-15fl for the 2.35:1 image and of course way more for the zoom in 16x9 image. Anyway, I will check tonight and report back.

I tested the 1.1 gain material but it's not the same invisible, texture free, sparkle free material as the 0.9. I had to make a choice and decide to go for the 0.9.

As for the frame I select the cheaper one the Da-Snap since it will be hidden behind my Carada CHI masking.
I agree with you. There is a little bit of sheen with the 1.1 or 1.3 gain. Once you start adding gain, there are trade offs. Of course, with out gain can have it's trade off of less brightness. As always, pick your poison.

post #3220 of 3830 Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

As for the frame I select the cheaper one the Da-Snap since it will be hidden behind my Carada CIH masking.
I choose the Da-Snap screen frame because it makes it very easy to insert manual masking panels (1.5" thick styrofoam sheets, cut to size, and covered in ProtoStar material) inside the frame. They are exactly the right size to be flush with the frame and simply stay in place via friction.
post #3221 of 3830 Old 06-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
In essence, that size in 2.35 is equivalent to a 11 1/2 ft wide i.78 when a 1.78 source frame is zoomed to fill with an image aspect of about 2.35 and slightly above. a little more light can be gained by using the 2.35 aspect on the Sony to use the full chip. If you consult with Joe Kane who basically designed the the material with the aid of a brilliant chemist/material guy he would not recommend using the ,9 gain for that size. He would tell you to use the 1.1 gain instead. Ric. How many ft lamberts are you getting? One can get used to anything of course but I suspect you are getting no more than about 10 ft lamberts. while the material is quite smooth and results in a very sharp non pixel bleeding UHD or 4K image, it is not quite state of the art in brightness uniformity although I think normal viewing would not indicate any variation across the screen

ric. What frame did you select? There is one frame called the Imager or Pro imager that is essential a u tube with the screen material mounting just behind the front edge of the frame. This is the best for adding masking because the distance between the mask and the screen material is tiny and minimizes any casting of shadows which would otherwise occur with a beveled frame.

I quiblle. You have one of the top materials available for a screen and one where you not be aware that you are watching reflections off of a screen surface. You will have an open window effect just as the Stewart Snomat 100 etc does.
I just did a quick fl measurement and at 16x9 low lamp dead center I have about 20fl.

If I zoom out for 2.35:1 the number drop to 12FL low lamp and 16.5 FL high lamp.

That's with about 400 hours on the projector lamp.

In my bat cave, 16.5 fl, 10 feets from my 138 inch screen that's more than enough
post #3222 of 3830 Old 06-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey, it looks like Nvidia has enabled 4K@60 Hz support in their latest driver.

Check it out here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...45376/#4245376

Can anybody with an Nvidia (Kepler) card and the above driver check if it works and what the input lag looks like?

OOO CRT Blend powered OOO Blog
post #3223 of 3830 Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

i know this is a dumb question but where in the menu can i change it from low to high mode for my lamp? the only option that has to do with the lamp that i can find has to do with resetting the hours on the lamp. thanks
post #3224 of 3830 Old 06-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
i know this is a dumb question but where in the menu can i change it from low to high mode for my lamp? the only option that has to do with the lamp that i can find has to do with resetting the hours on the lamp. thanks
It's hiding under Cinema Black Pro called Lamp Control.

- Dave
post #3225 of 3830 Old 06-21-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by antorsae View Post
Hey, it looks like Nvidia has enabled 4K@60 Hz support in their latest driver.

Check it out here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...45376/#4245376

Can anybody with an Nvidia (Kepler) card and the above driver check if it works and what the input lag looks like?
I'm not certain how it's possible over the current HDMI port, I have a GTX 780Ti I can try on my VW1100 just to see what happens.

The nvidia moderator posted this:

The BETA driver exposes 4K 60Hz YUV420 over HDMI for Kepler GPUs running Windows 7 or above (may need to update firmware of your 4K HDTV if your model does not support YUV420 over HDMI).
antorsae likes this.
post #3226 of 3830 Old 06-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
have any of you guys had your projector isf calibrated? if so how do you feel about it? im contemplating on getting mine done or not. thanks
post #3227 of 3830 Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 AM

Come back after testing in demo room Sony VW500 (Reference preset) & JVC X700 (THX preset): black room with 130" Stewart (white)
Sony:
"The Avengers" Blu-ray: cool upscaling fullHD to 4K. looks amazing compare to JVC in details. Very bright picture, colors. And titles look also amazing Only positive emotions. Very important pixels density of 4K matrix - total impression much more cool to jvc.
Demo 4K video with "tea ceremony" very very nice on Sony. We even don't try to test this video on JVC because of fake 4K.
Then we switched to "007 Skyfall " Blu-ray: And here the JVC is winner! Naturals color movie like. Very nice black. But don't like e-shift. Some of us like e-shift setting, but mine not even it's give you more detail in closeup scenes. Unfortunately, for this kind of movie, Sony can't give you more detailed, crisp picture, but the black, color gamma not so nice compare to JVC.
Finally: for home use for now I prefer .. JVC with sony 4K and bright... So Sony looks very very nice specially in movie where there are a lot of digital graphic - 4k upscaling do magic with picture! Hope it will be also nice in remastered 4K Blu-ray disks.

Last edited by JanJankovsky; 06-21-2014 at 09:31 AM.
post #3228 of 3830 Old 06-22-2014, 06:55 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dugal View Post
This doesn't answer your question, but damn! I just bought a VPL-VW600ES/X with the Ethernet-only, seriously limited, not-all-that-impressive FMP-X1 4K media player and now Sony already has a replacement supporting Wi-Fi and Netflix 4K???http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...ternet-Players Needless to say, I'm not happy. - Dave
That's the problem with being an early adopter, I feel your pain! That is why this time I have decided to wait until 4K content is available from multiple providers and manufacturer
post #3229 of 3830 Old 06-22-2014, 06:57 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJankovsky View Post
Come back after testing in demo room Sony VW500 (Reference preset) & JVC X700 (THX preset): black room with 130" Stewart (white)
Sony: "The Avengers" Blu-ray: cool upscaling fullHD to 4K. looks amazing compare to JVC in details. Very bright picture, colors. And titles look also amazing Only positive emotions. Very important pixels density of 4K matrix - total impression much more cool to jvc. Demo 4K video with "tea ceremony" very very nice on Sony. We even don't try to test this video on JVC because of fake 4K.
Then we switched to "007 Skyfall " Blu-ray: And here the JVC is winner! Naturals color movie like. Very nice black. But don't like e-shift. Some of us like e-shift setting, but mine not even it's give you more detail in closeup scenes. Unfortunately, for this kind of movie, Sony can't give you more detailed, crisp picture, but the black, color gamma not so nice compare to JVC.
Finally: for home use for now I prefer .. JVC with sony 4K and bright... So Sony looks very very nice specially in movie where there are a lot of digital graphic - 4k upscaling do magic with picture! Hope it will be also nice in remastered 4K Blu-ray disks.
JVC 4K at CEDIA 2014 hopefully?
post #3230 of 3830 Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 544
My gut says no. But we will surely see an e-shift 4 or whatever is one integer higher than last year's iteration.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3231 of 3830 Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm using the Marantz 8801, anyone else using it with the Sony 600es and if so do you bypass the Marantz ip scaler and let the 600es do the scaling? I would imagine scaling would be better in the 600es.
post #3232 of 3830 Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post
Cool. Will it work with any RF style glasses, or just the specific sony ones? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I prefer the ones that have arms that are 'thick' to block out some side light

I use my Panasonic VT60 glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
have any of you guys had your projector isf calibrated? if so how do you feel about it? im contemplating on getting mine done or not. thanks

User mode, gamma preset 2.4, dynamic iris OFF. The "new improved" AVS has limited pdf files to 19.5KB so it is now impossible to post calibration reports.

Edit: Reports available HERE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600ES GS.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	131642   Click image for larger version

Name:	600ES Gamut.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	131650  

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Last edited by buzzard767; 06-23-2014 at 04:30 AM. Reason: added report link
post #3233 of 3830 Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
JVC 4K at CEDIA 2014 hopefully?
Last years theory was they may release a native 4K projector as the top model. This year I think it's certainly possible, but seeing how they just invested in creating a new chip at the very least the majority of their models will be 1080p native. For the Japanese market there was no X900/RS-67 equivalent and according to their fiscal year financial report Japan was their biggest market for projectors. They could release a flagship 4K model to fill in that gap this year.
post #3234 of 3830 Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post
Last years theory was they may release a native 4K projector as the top model. This year I think it's certainly possible, but seeing how they just invested in creating a new chip at the very least the majority of their models will be 1080p native. For the Japanese market there was no X900/RS-67 equivalent and according to their fiscal year financial report Japan was their biggest market for projectors. They could release a flagship 4K model to fill in that gap this year.
They've created a new generation chip for the last four years in a row. This should have no effect on a true 4K model.

The X3, X30, X35, and now the X500 (because they didn't release a low end model this year) and higher for each model year all have different generation 1080p chips.
post #3235 of 3830 Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 AM

Found today a review on Amazone about Darbee processor:
Quote:
The Hunger Games is a little noisey so I ended up liking the DARBEE effect more at 50% for this movie. But upon throwing in a very clean movie, Avengers....The DARBEE level was raised to 65% without any noticeable background specks and HOLY MOLY does it improve an already stellar image for this film
Absolutely the same impression was in my test JVC/Sony, but unfortunately BR player was without darbee, so can't compare with and without Darbee work. So maybe Sony use something like Darbee inside they DSP?
Is there are somebody who has Drabee BR player and compare jvc with Sony?
So what to buy: JVC X700 + Lumagen+Darbee or just Sony VW500/600?

Last edited by JanJankovsky; 06-23-2014 at 09:36 AM.
post #3236 of 3830 Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After reading this note below I dug a bit further into Chad B and pulled the trigger for Chad to calibrate my Sony 600ES and Denon 3313CI
WHAT A DIFFERENCE CHAD MADE!!!
I thought the Sony was dialed in pretty good but I was obviously mistaken.....colors are perfect now and Chad maximized the brightness for me since I'm using a large A/T screen
I never had my audio system pro calibrated and WOW what a difference.......my subs were way off phase as well other speakers and unbelievable what a difference a pro can make......everything in the room sounds so crisp and tight from dialogue to LFE
TY Chad!!!.....10 hours in my cave and well worth it......HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING CHAD B!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWookie View Post
I had Chad B calibrate my sony vpl-vw 600 and my marantz 8801 with audessey pro a month ago. He spent a full day helping to tweak speakers, the projector and give me ideas for further refinement. The picture on my projector was already great,but he made it even better. He was able to achieve much more brightness than I had been able to on my own. I was tending to use the projector in high lamp mode, but after calibration and tweaking, I now use the low lamp setting with the same light output! It has made a great improvement in the pq.

The biggest impact on my system was the audio, which I had done with audessey myself. He did an audessey pro calibration and the difference is AMAZING!!!! The bass is so much better and refined than before. Dialog is now easily understood over the effects etc. I was always raising the volume to be able to hear the dialog, and then lowering the volume during explosions etc. Now I just leave the volume at one setting.

If you think your system looks and sounds good, but haven't had it calibrated, I highly recommend getting it calibrated!!!! And Chad B is one to do it! I will probably have him come by whenever he travels through my area to adjust thing as I add new things.
post #3237 of 3830 Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJankovsky View Post
Found today a review on Amazone about Darbee processor:

Absolutely the same impression was in my test JVC/Sony, but unfortunately BR player was without darbee, so can't compare with and without Darbee work. So maybe Sony use something like Darbee inside they DSP?
Is there are somebody who has Drabee BR player and compare jvc with Sony?
So what to buy: JVC X700 + Lumagen+Darbee or just Sony VW500/600?

I have a JVC RS45, Lumagen, Darbee and a VW600ES. PM or email me what questions you have.

post #3238 of 3830 Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post
I'm using the Marantz 8801, anyone else using it with the Sony 600es and if so do you bypass the Marantz ip scaler and let the 600es do the scaling? I would imagine scaling would be better in the 600es.
I have the same gear. Also using the Oppo BDP-103 as the Blu-ray source. I force the Oppo to 1080p and bypass the Marantz scaler. I'm happy with the Sony's scaling.
post #3239 of 3830 Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I have the same gear. Also using the Oppo BDP-103 as the Blu-ray source. I force the Oppo to 1080p and bypass the Marantz scaler. I'm happy with the Sony's scaling.
Do you have any mastered in 4k blu rays ? If so do what you set the oppo at?
post #3240 of 3830 Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley44 View Post
Do you have any mastered in 4k blu rays ? If so do what you set the oppo at?
No, I don't have any. Send me a few and I'll let you know.
buckley44 likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page