post #3391 of 3412 Old 07-17-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Mike. If the dealer orders and Sony takes 60 days to ship, then that means there is no replacement period. Despite what Sony might be saying, I think various provisions of the UCC would come into play. delivery of a DOA product is not fulfillment by Sony of the dealer's order and delivery of same to the consumer would not be fulfillment of the customer's order. A lawyer would have a fiekd day and could probably end up with punitive damages if the manufacturer refused to replace a DOA with a new unit.

I agree with you. If we had to wait several weeks for one of these to come in, then I would certainly be talking to Sony regarding this policy. We have a pretty good relationship with Sony and we certainly go to bat for our customers.

Sony would only need to ask a couple of questions to take care of that. All they would have to say:

1. Did you (dealer) test the projector when you received it?
2. How do you know it was not in good working order when you (dealer) received it?
3. Could it not have been in good working order when you (dealer) received it and something happened to it when you (dealer) shipped it to the customer?

Most dealers do not open every new projector and check them before sending out. That can create it's own set of problems.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 07-17-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3412 Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 306
The answer is to not stock an expensive product and to place a special order. Second, it is absurd that a replacement clock starts with the day of the order to Sony fulfillment. If Sony does not revise it to at least the date it ships from its fulfillment then dealers to protect themselves must not order unless the less than accurate fulfillment info shows the ability for the warehouse to ship. With low inventories of today's on demand production models, dealers run the risk of being beat by an earlier order placer. I expect litigation of what some might think is Sony's attempt in essence to escape lemon law responsibility will result.. I do not think Sony is attempting this, I just think their policy needs to be tweaked to at least start the clock as of the shipment to dealer date.

The market is causing a downward spiral for Sony and many other projector manufacturers. Its not the good old days of even a few years ago. Customer service is on a severe downward spiral accross the economy.

One of the few places I haven't seen it is at AV Science Sales. It just keeps getting better with the customer coming first.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3393 of 3412 Old 07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The answer is to not stock an expensive product and to place a special order. Second, it is absurd that a replacement clock starts with the day of the order to Sony fulfillment. If Sony does not revise it to at least the date it ships from its fulfillment then dealers to protect themselves must not order unless the less than accurate fulfillment info shows the ability for the warehouse to ship. With low inventories of today's on demand production models, dealers run the risk of being beat by an earlier order placer. I expect litigation of what some might think is Sony's attempt in essence to escape lemon law responsibility will result.. I do not think Sony is attempting this, I just think their policy needs to be tweaked to at least start the clock as of the shipment to dealer date.

The market is causing a downward spiral for Sony and many other projector manufacturers. Its not the good old days of even a few years ago. Customer service is on a severe downward spiral accross the economy.

One of the few places I haven't seen it is at AV Science Sales. It just keeps getting better with the customer coming first.
As I said above, I agree with you, I also think the policy should be tweaked a little bit. I was just playing arm chair lawyer, offering a counter argument. How is your dog doing?

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3394 of 3412 Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:

Yes, the customer service at AV Science Sales is truly outstanding. I cannot say enough.

post #3395 of 3412 Old 07-18-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
UPDATE... After 9 total hours on the phone with sony and lots of name calling and mother bashing they have finally agreed to replace my 600. I was hoping I could get a discount towards a possible upgrade to the 1100 for all my troubles but no such luck. Anyways the are shipping, NOT over nighting or express mailing my new 600 to me.

Mark H. I agree with everything you said and was talking to one of the many attorneys I work with about possible litigation.

I would think that Sony would not want to piss off customers who can afford to buy their high end products but I guess they dont care. Needless to say I will never be buying another Sony product of substantial cost. If this unit is defective or breaks I will probably have a mental breakdown.

Case closed.......I hope

jj
post #3396 of 3412 Old 07-18-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would not expect given today's financial concerns for them too overnight anything at their expense. You should get one in a very few days. I think. If you think the other projector manufacturers are lot better . . . .

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3397 of 3412 Old 07-19-2014, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlohojo7 View Post
UPDATE... After 9 total hours on the phone with sony and lots of name calling and mother bashing they have finally agreed to replace my 600. I was hoping I could get a discount towards a possible upgrade to the 1100 for all my troubles but no such luck. Anyways the are shipping, NOT over nighting or express mailing my new 600 to me.

Mark H. I agree with everything you said and was talking to one of the many attorneys I work with about possible litigation.

I would think that Sony would not want to piss off customers who can afford to buy their high end products but I guess they dont care. Needless to say I will never be buying another Sony product of substantial cost. If this unit is defective or breaks I will probably have a mental breakdown.

Case closed.......I hope

jj
Looks like a nightmare situation coming to a happy ending, at least. It's great that you did not take NO for an answer.

It's too bad that Sony currently do not have any competition in the consumer 4K market. This will change pretty soon and then we'll have a lot more choices. Although I doubt customer service will improve regardless of whatever brand you choose.
post #3398 of 3412 Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone got and setup the new 4k media server

Last edited by slots1; 07-19-2014 at 09:42 PM.
post #3399 of 3412 Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
There is a discussion on it here:

Sony FMP-X10 owners thread

it's basically the same as the X1, less HD space, no reliance on the tablet this time and has the 4K netflix streaming. Audio is the same DD+, PQ on the Sony 4K downloads is the same.
post #3400 of 3412 Old 07-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Can someone confirm if VW500ES and VW600ES are different designations for the same projector? I'm a little confused on if these are different models with any differences or if they are the same projector.
post #3401 of 3412 Old 07-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
Can someone confirm if VW500ES and VW600ES are different designations for the same projector? I'm a little confused on if these are different models with any differences or if they are the same projector.
I believe the 500 is the non US model.
post #3402 of 3412 Old 07-19-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
I believe the 500 is the non US model.
Correct. Means if you purchase a 500 ere in the US, then it does not have a US warranty. Would have to send it back to country of purchase.

post #3403 of 3412 Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Are there any differences between them in terms of the picture they project?
post #3404 of 3412 Old 07-20-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No. Is this a trick question?

Like anything else in today's society, you can gray purchase it and take your chances about shipping back to where you purchased it for warranty service. Its got a serial number and if it isn't a US serial number sony us service won't touch it no matter you say you moved from oversees etc.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3405 of 3412 Old 07-20-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Correct. Means if you purchase a 500 ere in the US, then it does not have a US warranty. Would have to send it back to country of purchase.
Also, the 500 in Japan only has a 1 year warranty. So, not only would a round trip return for warranty service cost you $500-$600 but you are only covered for 1 year and not 3 years as the 600 has.
post #3406 of 3412 Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Chances of a DOA, say 5%. chances of a failure within 1 year, another 10% depending on how much time since product introduction. Chances of needing service within 3 years, another 10%.l

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3407 of 3412 Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Liked: 10
DOA Sony 500ES - Deja Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlohojo7 View Post
UPDATE FOR 600es at service center
I just came across this post and I wanted to share that living in India I had an identical experience with a DOA with a 500ES. It was one of the first few delivered and was a special order (the dealer, wise man, refuses to stock expensive SKUs). I had to make an enormous hue and cry to get the Sony rep to visit and personally confirm the DOA. Then they took it away and after a week told me that as a very special case they were authorising a new unit!

Fortunately the dealer was fighting very hard for me and probably Sony did not yet have the ability to fix it locally (being a new product)

Shankar
post #3408 of 3412 Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Chances of a DOA, say 5%. chances of a failure within 1 year, another 10% depending on how much time since product introduction. Chances of needing service within 3 years, another 10%.l
That's probably a pretty good guess of where the odds are for needing service. I saw Mike's 600es and really liked it and I wanted the brightness it could deliver but I've held off on importing a 500es from Japan cause of warranty concerns/shipping back costs/and what if it just dies after 1 year? I'm hoping for either a 4k projector from JVC this fall that is a little brighter than what they normally put out, a $8k retail 4k projector from someone like Epson or a cheaper 4k from Sony.

Mike
post #3409 of 3412 Old Yesterday, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No. Is this a trick question?

Like anything else in today's society, you can gray purchase it and take your chances about shipping back to where you purchased it for warranty service. Its got a serial number and if it isn't a US serial number sony us service won't touch it no matter you say you moved from oversees etc.
No, I am located outside of the US, I read the 600 review on projector reviews and wanted to know if the 500 is the same thing or if it is a different projector as the 500 is available locally but the 600 is not. I just wanted to know if there is a difference between them in terms of their picture quality and features.
post #3410 of 3412 Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No. You will be fine and probably be able to buy it cheaper than in the US. Do check you wrranty terms and conside an add on warranty to extending the length of coverage,

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3411 of 3412 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
No, I am located outside of the US, I read the 600 review on projector reviews and wanted to know if the 500 is the same thing or if it is a different projector as the 500 is available locally but the 600 is not. I just wanted to know if there is a difference between them in terms of their picture quality and features.
Other than warranty, the only difference is the 500 does not come with 3D glasses, I believe.

post #3412 of 3412 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mike is correct. No 3D glasses in the box.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page